Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

‘Saaho’ in the time of ‘Me Too’: (SPOILERS WARNING)

anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 4 years ago

Ashok (Prabhas) only looks at Amritha (Shraddha Kapoor) as an object of desire right from the beginning, not as a colleague.

Share @Facebook Share @twitter Share @reddit

*Some spoilers ahead. Do not read if you haven't watched the film and do not like spoilers.

A man, believed to be a police officer, recruits a woman colleague because "she looks pretty". When they meet at a crime scene, he pretends that he needs help to climb over a wall and declines the assistance offered by his male colleagues. Instead, he deliberately asks the woman to give her hand so he can pull himself over.

In real life, this would easily qualify as sexual harassment at the workplace. But in Prabhas’s Saaho, which released on August 30, it is what constitutes romance. It is immaterial that it is later revealed that Prabhas’s character, Ashok Chakravarthy, is not actually a cop – his colleagues believe him to be one and do not find his behaviour to be inappropriate, least of all the woman police officer, Amritha Nair (Shraddha Kapoor), at whom this is directed.

Ashok only looks at Amritha as an object of desire right from the beginning, not as a colleague. Every time he throws a glance at her, the camera turns Amritha into an "exotic" Malayali beauty, the background score going "thithithara thithithai". All this when they’re in the middle of investigating a serious crime and are holding discussions in their office space. Ashok also constantly undermines Amritha’s work though he acts sympathetic when others (men) do the same. For instance, when she is speaking about the case at hand, he starts reading cheesy lines from a romance novel loudly. At one point, he even asks her how someone who looks so beautiful ended up in the police force (and the film actually serves up a sob story as an answer). In another scene, the cops go undercover and enter a club. Amritha is shown in a short, shimmery dress and Ashok ogles her, as is only expected. And then, he manages to get hold of her badge, which she has hidden in her dress somewhere near the thigh, without her knowledge to supposedly help her pass through the metal detector.

Their male colleagues encourage Ashok’s behaviour, either looking amused by it or actively encouraging him to pursue her. And predictably, Amritha never takes offence and instead falls in love with Ashok, validating his behaviour thus far.

Much noise was made over sexual harassment at the workplace after several women outed their predators during the #MeToo movement that hit the entertainment and media industries in October 2018. In the Telugu film industry, following actor Sri Reddy’s protests and allegations, the Telugu Film Chamber of Commerce made it mandatory for production houses to set up ICs (Internal Committee) to address sexual harassment at the workplace. A body called Voice of Women (VoW) was also set up as a collective for women in the industry to have a common platform to discuss issues that affect them, including sexual harassment.

However, fundamentally, we seem to be very far from understanding what workplace sexual harassment actually is. Made on a lavish budget of Rs 350 crore, Saaho is a pan-Indian film that has released in multiple languages – Telugu, Tamil, Hindi and Malayalam. Its 29-year-old director, who is also the film’s writer, appears to still believe that a man making such advances towards his woman colleague is acceptable and will be considered welcome by the woman. One can argue that this is just a film and it shouldn’t be subjected to such scrutiny. A lot of scenes in Saaho don’t have a tinge to realism to them – but equating an over-the-top VFX enhanced action sequence to such a problematic depiction of romance is false equivalence.

We live in a patriarchal society where sexual violence against women is extremely high and more often than not, women are held responsible for what has happened to them. Most survivors are pushed into silence because they know that they will receive little to no support. In such a scenario, glorifying workplace sexual harassment as romance and justifying it in the narrative only adds to an already toxic culture.

It’s not as if Saaho is the only film to have such scenes. Not so long ago, the Malayalam industry was rocked by the Kasaba controversy when actor Parvathy called out the sexual harassment and misogyny in the Mammootty film that glorified a male police officer passing crass comments at his woman colleague. But this precisely is the problem – it’s not just one film here or there which attempts to normalise these ideas, it’s most of them. The reach of such cinema is immense, and when the voices of women survivors continue to be muffled, it is only fair that these films are criticised for persisting with such insensitive portrayals.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

anjs thumbnail

Haven't watched the movie, so these are not my views.......nor m gonna judge it without watching......

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: anjs

Haven't watched the movie, so these are not my views.......nor m gonna judge it without watching......

Prabhas's character, who is not really a policeman, has been shown as a chichora from the beginning, when he starts to flirt with a woman even when fight is going on.

Why will a chichora chor look at a good looking woman like Shraddha with colleague type respect. It's not like he was a police wala and movie showed that police wala looking at a hot colleague is okay.

Jabardasti ka attention seeking.

Filmistan thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Films aren't supposed to be moral science classes.

It's about depicting a world. So, in that world, if there's a guy who only looks at women through the lens of sexuality, well, then so be it because there are such men, no? And, in the world of this movie, he happens to be a character who behaves in so and so way. It doesn't mean the director is giving a lecture on how to behave with/treat women.

If the reverse were true? If Shradhha were the lead and she looked upon Prabhas' character as a self-gratification toy, would that mean the makers are concluding that all women are like that? No.

These psuedos need to engage themselves in some meaningful work. They're a waste of space.

I'm pretty sure tomorrow these people will say that heterosexuality is patriarchal... Oh wait, they already have!

anjs thumbnail

Originally posted by: Thug-Leader

Prabhas's character, who is not really a policeman, has been shown as a chichora from the beginning, when he starts to flirt with a woman even when fight is going on.

Why will a chichora chor look at a good looking woman like Shraddha with colleague type respect. It's not like he was a police wala and movie showed that police wala looking at a hot colleague is okay.

Jabardasti ka attention seeking.

this is getting really too much......aise toh story telling is not possible at all....... if they really expect a chichora to act like a saint, 🤣

But I guess some sort of reform should be shown to tell that the guy changed later ...... people had this same grouse with Kabir Singh too....

Edited by anjs - 4 years ago
Swetha-Sai thumbnail

Agree with writer of the article.

Shailesh_Rathi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Ditto. It's sad.  What will pass off as inappropriate conduct elsewhere in other progressive countries, gets passed on as 'chalta hai' in India.   

Its not like they forced shardha to play this role. She was paid well and she could have refused it if she wanted.  She had the script .. I didnt read spoilers as i read the first line. Its their money and they can make a movie on whom they want to make focus...

If heroines want change, they need to start using their money to produce when they make crores from endorsements. Start with medium budget script and hire good writers which makes a good entertaining movie and it will make money.. Producers are not going to do that for them which is sad but fact

Edited by Ronaldo_fan - 4 years ago
Shailesh_Rathi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ronaldo_fan

Its not like they forced shardha to play this role. She was paid well and she could have refused it if she wanted.  She had the script .. I didnt read spoilers as i read the first line. Its their money and they can make a movie on whom they want to make focus...

If heroines want change, they need to start using their money to produce when they make crores from endorsements. Start with medium budget script and hire good writers which makes a good entertaining movie and it will make money.. Producers are not going to do that for them which is sad but fact

I don't think anyone is saying Shraddha was mistreated in movie.  In fact she was paid very well given her mediocre performance. People are talking about depiction of women in movies and how bollywood could do better. It is just an opinion, since movies are made for public entertainment, public has a right to say what they liked and didn't. 

Originally posted by: Shailesh_Rathi

I don't think anyone is saying Shraddha was mistreated in movie.  In fact she was paid very well given her mediocre performance. People are talking about depiction of women in movies and how bollywood could do better. It is just an opinion, since movies are made for public entertainment, public has a right to say what they liked and didn't. 

where did i say u dont have right?

All i said heroines very well know the scenes in the script. If they don't  put stop to it, then who will?

Because producers are not going to change from their side