Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

beingsirius thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

I binge watched Gulzar's movies. Voted for Angoor. 👍🏼 though I liked all these movies.

And I disagree with you. Lekin is a ghost movie. This was one movie whose concept he copied from A Portrait of Jennie. Now Jennie was made when the west was just coming to grips with the findings that time I believe  that time is a spiral and that past, present, future is all happening together. Opening lines.

For the rest, science tells

us that nothing ever dies,

but only changes.

But time itself does not pass,

but curves along us.

And the past and the future are

together on our side forever.

In that movie Jennie is somehow able to cross timelines to meet with our artist. And she operates on a different time scale as we see her grow from a little child to a young woman in a span of a few months. She wanted to experience love and had somehow made it to the present to achieve that objective. That was the concept in Jennie.

In Lekin, Reva's sister and guru is still alive and in the ending scenes when Vinod Khanna goes to visit them, the guru calls him by another name as if recognizing him. And it is implied throughout the film that Reva wasnt able to cross the desert on her own. Afraid to cross over to wherever it is souls go after death and unable to live as her gross body had given way, probably trapped somewhere under the sands, she wandered around in this world and yet not of this world.

And Vinod Khanna was the reincarnation of the man who was supposed to help her cross the desert (the name guruji uses to address him).

And in the end Reva is only able to leave after Vinod Khanna takes her to that desert place again and vows to take her to her destination this time. 

Only after that Reva is finally able to cross over. And in the end in the hospital, her elder sister had mentioned how Reva had appeared to her and how much older she had looked. I guess the idea was that now Reva had traveled far into the future and was perhaps now travelling back to commune therefore had aged more than her elder sister. Or the director did it just to add more mystique to the story or most likely, a combination of both.

But either way, you cant deny that the reincarnation concept is there in the movie. There is another indication of this in the scene where Vinod Khanna meets up with his ex gf's professor uncle. They talk about souls and reincarnation. 

Gulzar could've chosen to talk about time as a spiral like in Jennie and yet he chose this. Its a reincarnation movie juxtaposed with time travel. 

Edited by beingsirius - 4 years ago