Fan Fictions

Barun Sobti & Mahira Khan crossover | I owe you | Part A .

hilly thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Hello! Written a little piece on Barun Sobti and Mahirah Khan as a crossover. Not as themselves, but as characters from different serials. Have been imaging them together and what they say to each other in a situation.
Barun Sobti - Haider Ali Khan from Tanhaiyaan series. 
Mahirah Khan - Khirad Sheikh from Humsafar. 

Hope you all like it. 

Not as edited, sorry .

____

She pulled thedoor open to her favourite café and scent of pasteries and coffee engulfed herin the cosy, pretty spacious space – filled with people of all sorts chattingaway with people, on their phones of all sorts.

Walking up ahead, she stood in the que awaiting her turn. A sleek wide marblecounter whereupon the cashier was taking order – lined with a pretty largeglass, sleek drink dispenser filled with water and few lemon slice floatingwithin, as well as mason jars with freshly baked chocolate chip cookies,  biscotti’s, wafers, biscuits and varioussnacks. Drop lined bulbs hung from the ceiling along with the pot lightsinstalled throughout giving away a glowly, soft look around the evenings. As ofnow, the various wide windows around the front and side view gave away plentyof sunlight casting the café in such a bright glow – no dark corners. Darkbrown rustic wooded tables and cushioned lined chairs surrounded the seatingarea – every table topped with a tiny vase filled with a few various assortedflowers – daisies, hydrangeas, lilies, etc – wafting their underlined scentthroughout – so refreshing and light. Bar stools lined around the window areawith various bar stools a marble counter to enjoy your refreshments upon. Acorner with a various magazines basket sat far off in a corner – in case.  It was almost half past 11 on a Saturday –and here she was on a rather surprising bright sunny morning – surprising andglorious since you don’t find much sunny days around the spring time in London– or mostly all the time. That’s London for you.

Receiving my order of their infamous cookie, croissant, and her latte –intractably designed with an all white wide cup with a saucer.
Seeing the pretty packed crowd – she went over a quite window corner – therewas still low chatter, not too loud.
She usually gets here close to ten to enjoy a cup of coffee before it gets toobusy to start her day – but having slept in after a busy, tiring week – sheneeded the slow start.  
This was her favourite part – the start of her day – mostly Saturdays at thiscafé with her latte, outlooking the window – the people getting to their day,the traffic, just taking it in.

Another thought bubble burst in as she sat seemingly serene – taking thepeaceful morning – trying to indulge in the solicitude she got around thisspace -  looking out with the news  that had dropped upon since a week and a halfand she had trying to let it bother her – especially now since it was her meday and weekends her for her sanity. Her fiancé dropped the bomb – that he’d bemoving to the states for another better, greater opportunity offered by anotherlarger, famous finance company. Over dinner. Dinner. One of their specialdinner they hadn’t had in a while to catch up, to enjoy the evening, toappreciate each other, and there they were.
There he was – announcing it like no big deal. Casually.

“Hey Ridhu, so… there’s news.  Great news, actually.” Azaan beemed withgreat enthusiasm – holding on my over my hand,  his infamous wide smile in place - while wewaited for dessert, after just having dinner at one of our favourite Italianrestaurant – around 8:30 pm on a Friday night at Elan. Intricate flowersbrought by the fiancés – a mix bouquet of lilies and peonies  and candles between our space, nice champagneglasses on our sides – mine with gingerale, his with coke. Adorned with a lightcrazy blazer, a white tee underneath paired with dark denims looking handsomeas ever with his hair suave back with a hint of gel, while I had on asleeveless black chiffon dress, intricate tiny beaded v-neck just above thecleavage that fell all way down just above my ankles, paired with sleek blackflats. My hair was wrapped up in a low, messy chignon held with a woodenhairpin – pearl studs and a thin gold pendant around my neck – kohl rimmed eyesand mauve lipstick.

“Really?!” The rear of the conversation catching me by surprise, beaming backwith joy – his excitement just as present and infectious . “what is it?!” As heheld on to my fingers tips feeling his vavicious energy pass through.

“Okay, here goes. So remember a couple months back – I told you how I wanted tomove up in my department role to a higher, possibly a managerial position. Iapplied within London and other cities, along with the States…. “

“Ofcourse, I remember. “ Since the newyears, he’s been hinting talks with themanager of his about praising him upwards and since there hadn’t been a chancedue to rigid vacancies since a lot of others were above him having been workingsince six years – he didn’t see a chance to move up.  So, he had been telling me since he’d beenlooking out and applying at other firms around the city and other ones, alongwith giving a shot in the States – just for the sake of it. “So, any good news?Did you hear back from any?”

“You wouldn’t believe it Ridhu. Finallyy.”
“No, way Azaan! Omg, where? Here in London, Birmingham…” Getting just asexcited. Finally, God has heard our prayers since his progression at hiscurrent firm was pretty stagnant – and I got his sentiments.

“Okay, ready?!” grasping my fingertips more strongly, winding with each others.My heart leaping for his joy, the sheer hardwork he’s been putting in to moveup, the insistent late nights, voluntary projects and those required, buildingreferences, you name it. So, this – I hadn’t seen coming.
“Ready Azzu. Just say it already, dammit.”
“Okay, so I got an assistant manager offer from New York. From the states. Theyare really impressed from my resume and references and I had a phone interviewwith them about my work ethic and the projects I have been entailed on. Oh,Ridhu – they already mailed me a acceptance letter to accept and move over. It’sa great firm – they’re looking for new staff to fill their position and saidthey’ll try me for a few month for assistant manager and if they love what theysee – they’ll move me up to the head of operations and stuff. I cannot believe–“

He just sat beaming and going on and on – my wide grin matching his – the musclesstraining to stay as wide, wide I kept looking on. A buzz started around me –buzzing while I slowly zoned out – focusing on his face, his grin, his smilelines, the twinkle in his eyes, the iron crease on the shoulders of his blazer –my heart taking an agonizing leap, thudding against my rib cage. What – What thehell was he saying? What the hell did he mean? She could see his mouth stillmoving thrilled – while my focus regained on his adam’s apple, the white of hisshirt – my favourite color on him.
“Hey babe, are you okay?” He inquired mid speech wondering about my zoned outgaze. “I been calling out to you” as he grasped by fingers, interwining themagain after my grasp unwinded from his, from the shock.
“Ye-yeah.” I stuttered, taking in a deep breath which hurt against my rib cageearning a slight cramp. This could not be happening. Giving myself a sec tocomprehend my thoughts to be put into words, I took a sip of water. How couldhe?

“Azaan. I – I don’t know hat to say –“
“What do you mean? Aren’t you thrilled?”
Looking back into the twinkle of his eyes, shinning through replaced with aslight forlorn expression. “I thought you’ll even more thrilled than me.”
“Ofcourse, I’m thrilled Azzu. How could I not. I mean – we prayed for this. I prayedfor this – this wish to come true – because I know how solid your ethics areand how much hard work you have put into where you are. All the late nights…all the weeks we barely met up…. Talked… because how busy you were putting inwork…. “
“right?! So?! Where’s the smile I love, the dimple I wish to see.”

My thoughts are a jumble of mess. I’m freaking out. Hyperventilating inside –which he can’t tell. I need to stay composed. Gentle. Everything would be okay.Long distance relationship – especially  since we were engaged a couple months ago. Atthis time. He’s thinking about moving away. He’s already on it. Half way acrossthe world. Oh my God.

“Azzu.” Even saying his name has my eyes heating up, feeling the tears. Oh god.
 Reclasping his hands – “I’m – I’m happyfor you. I am. I – I …. I’m – “ I could feel the tear works, my incoherentwords fumbling already, his thumb stroking my finger tip calming me a bit.
“The – the states?! New – New York city, Azzu? I was thinking – here in London orsome other city. We’re together – this new phase in our relationship – and I’m –I’m – I’m….” I’m freaking out.  “I’m  sorry.” A tear has leaked already and I couldsee his frown setting in, hastly wiping out and taking a breath.

“I’m happy Azzu, really happy. It’s just – you’ll be so far away. So far away.Half way across the world.” Swallowing, I go on. “I’m getting scared Azzu. Long distance relationship is noteasy. I know we’ll make it up – it’ll be a few years right? But you’ll be sofar away. How – are we going to - ? I know it’s been your dream – you finallygot it – but I’ll be here without you? You’ll be so busy – and and, I won’teven get to see you. I wouldn’t be able to drop to your apartment to see  you when I’m so stressed and burned withdeadlines and needing to see you. You won’t be a simple phone call away – therewill be time difference and I couldn’t just call you anytime I’d like or evenat 2 am in the morning – because I’m crying and I need to hear your soothingvoice – because these stupid thoughts don’t let me sleep and you’re theresilient. You always know what to say – you’re my best friend, Azaan.” Tearshave sprung again, I’m rambling, I Know. “How will I stay here without you, withoutyour presence, your direct conscious, your infectious energy, your hugs, whileyou’re there. You need your immense focus, patience, diligent work, latenights, looking to strive – days, months, ye-year.” I can’t even say the plural.

“Oh, ridhu. I’m so sorry, yaar. In my excitement, I hadn’t realized. You knowhow much I have needed this – dreamt of this. And new York city, I mean – it’severyone’s dream. I wish we could go together – but you’re right you’re here,your  career, your family, my family. It’sjust
-
it’ll be foolish If I don’t go. Whowouldn’t. But Ridhu, we’ll make it work. I love you and will miss you immensely.I still have a month – I’m not going right away. We can make anything work – wehave had our ups and downs – and I’ll we’ll surpass this. You can come visit meand I’ll visit on holidays. We’ll always keep in touch – technology has way evolvedand babe, you can call me whenever you want. I’ll pick up always, I promise.” Sighing,he cont’d. “you really important to me Ridhu. I love having you as my bestfriend, first and foremost and then my fiancé and this is a new phase in myphase in my life – and I promise I’ll be back in no time. We have our wholelifetime – so then?!

“So then -? How can anyone be sure. What if something happens? God forbid. Whatif – “

“I won’t go Ridhu, if you keep crying like that. God, this is a special night.No more tears, okay. God what if someone sees. They think I have broken you’reheart or something –“ he chuckles. I mean – “we’re the forever together ones.”It’s heartening hearing from him.

Seriously, he says, “I won’t go Ridhu.
If you’re really against this, I won’tgo.”
“No !” I jump in hurriedly. “Ofcourse, go – I just got worried there for a sec.we’ll make it – we have to make it work. Otherwise, ‘main tumhaari jaan le loongi.’ Itni asaani say peecha nahi chooron gi. You don’t worry about any of it –just focus on your new journey.  I’m sohappy for you Azzu. I love you.” I said earnestly, so easily without much fumbling- believing and taking in every word of mine and his to settle me. It’llbe all okay.  And yet, a deep settled in the deep recesses of my heart – taking a place against my comforting words. "I love you." 

“Same here.”

_

It’s been one and a half weeks since and some time of the days, weird confusingthoughts keep creeping in though I’m staying happy for you. I have to. I can’tnot do this to him. I have to let go.

“I have already sent you the files, Ben! Will you please check the files again?Refresh the page again, will you?”
“Yes, I sent it to you last night. Yes, I promise!”

I have pulled out of my thoughts abruptly, my latte halfway through – someone aroundme – loud, agitated, deep huskier- a slight english accent accentuated in hiswords.

Sighing, “I’m not lying. I have sent it. Maybe it’s the wifi Indonesia?
Yes… yes… Don’t worry. Just give me a min. I have tons of my desktop – and I’mjust finding the file.” A minute later, “finally. There we go. I have attachedme. I’ll be still on call – please tell me you’ve received it. Check underspams even.”
I haven’t turned out, just zoning out back to the world outside the window –trying hardest not going back the dinner.
“Thank God, ben. Thank God. I worked my a—off. I told you if was your bloodywifi. Just get back to London, already!” The downplay on this sarcasm, not anymore close to yelling, normal talk.
I have pulled back into his conversation – my voice a notch down having hungup.
A minute later, he gets another one, while I look at a kid having ice-creamfrom a cone.

In the midst of it, “ I remember lay. I’ll be there.” Deep sigh.
“Look lay, I just told you I’ll be there. I have been neck deep in work. Can’tyou understand that?!”
“Oh, you can? Great, thank you. I’m sorry, I have been crazy busy. You know thesituation, it’ll get better. Just give it time. “
another sigh. “I don’t know how much time okay. I’ll see you tonight, alright.I’m in the middle of something. I need to go, bye. “ Hanging up, before shecould get another word in.

Having finished my latte, my iphone vibrates with a text. Opening it up, it’s Zariconfirming the brunch.
“hey, what’s up? Just reminding you, we’re still meeting up for brunch right?”I have had a crazy week and I told her to remind me .
“Hey, just had coffee – yes, ofcourse I remember. I’ll be there. See you xx.”

In the middle of my text, his voice zones me in again. What’s with him?

“yup, I’m almost through with research – just bits to go. I’ll have to you byLondon’s tonight or even midnight don’t worry.”
“right – I agree.”
“Hey, you’re voice is breaking up. Give me a sec okay. Just a second.”

I’m in the middle of going my through my emails, when I feel a tap on myshoulder.

“Um, ‘scuse me? Sorry, I’m on a important call. Will you please watch my laptopfor a sec? I’ll be right back.” Making contact with his dark brown eyes, withthe hazel in them shining through in the hint of sunlight. His one eyebrow in aknot, wondering If I’ll agree, a little impatience, worked up.  Sporting a light shave, chiseled face features.

“sure” I smile back and he’s out the door in such a hurry.

Getting up, I decide to throw away the paperbags and leave the coffee mug atthe end of the counter to picked up, while all my focus is still on his laptop.
Hurrying back, I take a seat on the other side of his table while he’s stilloutside pacing back and forth, deep into the conversation.  It’s the offwhite colour macbook with couplefolders stacked by it. His office type rectangular black bag hung on his chair.

Her phone vibrates, a text from Zari as she sports a smile – “can’t wait to seeyou either.  So much to catch up on.”
Zari aka Zara her best friend, since high school days and no matter thecramped, busy lives – they still make time for each other. She’s practicallyfamily from all they have been through and shared with each other. They lean oneach other and she loves her for her resilience, patience, and love she inherits.

“Hey, so sorry that took twenty minutes. Thanks a ton for watching my laptop.”He’s back. Standing tall – taller than her 5’4’’ height as she stands as well.
“It’s alright, don’t worry.”
“I’m done. Signal issues. So had to go outside. I’m sorry for keeping you.”
“No worries, you’re back in time. Look, I really need to go. I’m sorry. I haveto go see a friend, so I’m running late. I have to run errands.

“damn, again I’m sorry. Long distance calls and stuff – it’s tough to conversework.” He was wearing a half sleeve white polo shirt with dark blue cargopants. His slight wavy swepped back without any product – one of the hairsweeping his forehead.  Suave, leanbuilt, mesmerizing eyes that sweep you right in. Like espresso. Husky drawl ofhis words.

“I shouldn’t keep you any longer. Sorry for the wait. And thanks a ton. It wasimportant.”

“really, it’s okay. Don’t sweat it. And take it easy on the aplogizies.” Ismiled back seeing his infectious sheepish smile.

“right. So – I mean. Take care. This meant a lot.”

Bidding goodbye, I was five steps out the door when I hear a loud voice behindme, “ ‘scue me! Miss?!” Hold on!”

Turning out, I glance at the same man. “here” Holding on to his closed laptopin one hand – he hands what a card.
“Sorry, what’s this?”
“It’s my business card. In case, you ever need a favour. Just please let me know,  if you ever need help or assistant.”Behind the business card, it read – “I owe you one. Let me know whenever you need a favour of any kind  - it’ll be a pleasure.’

“I know you overstayed and entrusted and stayed when you could have walked away or stolen my laptop – I know it happens. So, I’m engraving it in my writing – I owe you a favour. Email me or call.”

Take the card, “Thank you. That’s really sweet. I’ll keep that in mind. But really, it’s no problem. I didn’t mind watching your stuff. I know you were pretty stressed – Iheard your conversation. Sorry.”

“It’s alright. Long distance work calls. I have been swamped.”

"I'm sorry, my manner. btw, I'm Haider Ali Khan."
Smiling warmly, "Khirad Sheikh." 

“Also, Tell Ben you give you a break – at least a weekend off. You really need it.”

spontaneously giving away a slight chuckle, his eyes crinkle on the sides, amused – “I’ll keep that in mind. I’ll pass it on and see what he says. He wont be thrilled.
“Neither will he when you fall sick.”
“You have a point. See you around hopefully.?”
“Hopefully? Take it easy.”
“You take care." Before I know, he's scribbling on a post it - 
"here. Please take this.  And apologize on behalf of me, if you get really late. Which I know you might. I have given my regards.” Looking down at yellow post it- he really had apologized. 

"sorry for keeping your friend a little late and you waiting.  Needed a little favour from Ms. Sheikh.  - stranger - Haider A. Khan :)" With a smile face - directly putting me a smile too. 

with a chuckle, she responded "Mr. Khan, this was not needed. But my friend, Zari will be happy to see this. For one, I won't be blaming myself. Thank you and Goodluck." 
“Goodbye then. and thank you. ” A light chuckle escaped him. 
“bye.” Having turned around on the street hailing a cab, while he entered the cafe. 

Edited by hilly - 4 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters