Posted: 4 years ago

Marriage as an institution needs grooming imo. It is becoming a source of pressure more than happiness nowdays. If only we treated marriage like a maybe,not a must

Originally posted by Deadinside

I personally will never divorce after 40-50, it's not the age thingy and i know , we can live single and we have so many other interests, but Its your emotion and your time that you've invested in knowing each other and building up this 10-11 years of old relationship. It's easy to write 100 words without having to go through that stage. Trust me, anyone who is writing and talking about other interests and all that '' we can live single rather than being in unhappy marriage'' & '' we have so many other interests''. If you've seriously invested so much in a relationship like this, it'ill be so hard to move out of it. and by the way, I'm certainly sure that you will not be able to concentrate on your '' other interests'' too. 

I will reply since you are quoting my post. That’s absolutely not true IMO. What you describe is the attitude of someone who didn’t have a life or any  interests in life to start with. The type of people whose whole life depends on their partner. That’s unhealthy and no one should depend so much on someone. So if you are not with your partner anymore you won’t be able to function anymore? If that’s the case it is therapy that is needed. So according to you it is better to stay unhappy or make someone unhappy for the sake of a ROI? Relationships are not businesses; when you get involved with someone you need to accept the possibility that it might end. Same when you have children; you spend at least 18 years of your life providing and raising them for them to leave you and build their own life (unless you are like Neetu).

My aunt got cheated on by her husband she spent 20 years with but she left him because she has dignity and didn’t want her daughter and son to think this behaviour is ok. She had depression but is now so much happier and even got her driving licence last year. He is miserable. Same for my sister, divorce after 9 years and 2 kids. The dad was a control freak. She divorced, but ended up doing whatever she didn’t feel she could do with such an overbearing man - she did her master’s, got a better job, got her confidence back and is now dating a lovely man.

Long post but my point is that life is way too short to waste it on someone. And it is never too late to rebuild your life and live happily. Even in your 60’s.

Edited by Sorein - 4 years ago

He cheated on her and she probably did just figure out about it now and decided to divorce. If she posted two weeks ago on his birthday then she must have just figured out in the last two weeks. People should stop judging her for taking a divorce, she’s completely right if he cheated on her. 

Originally posted by HeartQuake

Most of the marriages that I know closely and intimately are trash. The couples are extremely unhappy and depressed. There's no love in the marriages. They can not get divorced because of societal pressure, children or because the wife is not independent financially and her parents are not allowing her to return to their home. 

But are the children happy?? No . They're also growing up disturbed and having many psychological problems because of the constant arguments and ugly fights at home and the insecurity. They're having issues like poor self esteem,  irritability and lack of confidence. 

The couples are also having less productivity and living a meaningless useless life because of having to carry the dead marriage. It's much like dragging a carcass around. 

If the societal pressure and social bullying wasn't there and women folk of our country were more independent, at least 50 % of the married couple will get divorced immediately. 

I severely condemn any and all societal pressure that tries a keep a couple together. Divorce is a blessing. A boon. It should be as widely accepted every where as is marriage. 

Marriage is absolutely not necessary for happiness. There's just so many more ways better ways to live life meaningfully and happily. All the divorced couples I know of are so much happier post divorce. Only people who've no other life purpose or interests, stick to a marriage as every thing or the most important thing about life.

💯💯

Originally posted by Sorein

I will reply since you are quoting my post. That’s absolutely not true IMO. What you describe is the attitude of someone who didn’t have a life or any  interests in life to start with. The type of people whose whole life depends on their partner. That’s unhealthy and no one should depend so much on someone. So if you are not with your partner anymore you won’t be able to function anymore? If that’s the case it is therapy that is needed. So according to you it is better to stay unhappy or make someone unhappy for the sake of a ROI? Relationships are not businesses; when you get involved with someone you need to accept the possibility that it might end. Same when you have children; you spend at least 18 years of your life providing and raising them for them to leave you and build their own life (unless you are like Neetu).

My aunt got cheated on by her husband she spent 20 years with but she left him because she has dignity and didn’t want her daughter and son to think this behaviour is ok. She had depression but is now so much happier and even got her driving licence last year. He is miserable. Same for my sister, divorce after 9 years and 2 kids. The dad was a control freak. She divorced, but ended up doing whatever she didn’t feel she could do with such an overbearing man - she did her master’s, got a better job, got her confidence back and is now dating a lovely man.

Long post but my point is that life is way too short to waste it on someone. And it is never too late to rebuild your life and live happily. Even in your 60’s.

I wont be able to function as much as i am doing right now, for several days atleast. Hope, it explains you everything. I dont need to write 200 words of essay to address the whole IF universe to behave in certain way regarding this particular matter because i know, people will do whatever they want to do regardless of how many examples and how many long essays i post. 

Originally posted by Gauahargeous_N

He cheated on her and she probably did just figure out about it now and decided to divorce. If she posted two weeks ago on his birthday then she must have just figured out in the last two weeks. People should stop judging her for taking a divorce, she’s completely right if he cheated on her. 

Will never understand how these guys that are so bad looking cheat on their wives  who are gorgeous - this guy, Jay-Z etc 

He didn't cheat on her. Dia has denied it and that Kanika woman has also said she has never even met Dia or Sahil in her whole life. Indian media is worthless and I wouldn't go by anything they say.

Most celebrities don't take marriage seriously. They just want the engagement day, wedding day, princess dresses and parties, publicity, vacations and bragging in interviews and photos.

The minute the marriage finally settles down into boring domesticity or child raising, they get tired and want a divorce. They want to be on a high all the time. They can't survive normalcy.

I've always thought marriage is something that gives you someone for life,  I'm a old school I guess:) but giving it a actual thought, what happens after you turn 50 or say 60 .... When you don't have a service anymore,  your kids are busy in the life of their own...  Isn't this the time when you actually spend with your partner leisurely, with no actual responsibilities? I've seen my grandparents so in love and living their life to the fullest that it really feel bad if someone takes a divorce decision so much later in their lives..  All the very best to them though :)

Originally posted by Zephyr_57

I've always thought marriage is something that gives you someone for life,  I'm a old school I guess:) but giving it a actual thought, what happens after you turn 50 or say 60 .... When you don't have a service anymore,  your kids are busy in the life of their own...  Isn't this the time when you actually spend with your partner leisurely, with no actual responsibilities?

That's great for people who are happy together but not everyone is. Many people stay together to fulfill their responsibilities so once the kids are grown and have been given a family atmosphere, the parents finally divorce.