priya185 thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Article by india forums

The wonder boy who carved a niche for himself by performing a few of the most challenging characters in the Bollywood fraternity, Ranveer Singh has repeatedly proved himself as one of the most exemplary actors Bollywood has received till date. However, it wasn't the same until a few years ago; the actor has struggled through a fair share of disappointments, humiliation, and rejection!

Recently, has revealed one of his most memorable auditions in an interview - it was not for his first film, Band Baaja Baarat, but a project that was offered after his debut. He was supposed to enact a scene where a teetotaller drinks alcohol and dances his heart out, Ranveer told Femina.

During the interaction with Femina the actor revealed, “After Band Baaja Baaraat, a prominent filmmaker was auditioning me for a significant part in his project. The scene was that a character who is a teetotaller, happens to drink one night, and starts dancing. I performed and danced my heart out. Such was the intensity that I puked at the end. The filmmaker thought it was sheer brilliance. He said, ‘Kitni detail mein socha hai iss ladke ne’.”

Ranveer has gravitated audience’s attention with his performance of characters and the fans just loved him. The actor values and enjoys the success but said about his days of struggle: “Those years have given me some of the fondest memories of my life. Things are flying at the moment, but I will always remember the time when there was none of it; when I used to be staring at the bottom of the barrel not knowing whether that phone is ever going to ring, or if I will ever get a break.” 

Through the harsh lessons, disappointments, humiliation, rejection, one has to find something within him that keeps him going. For me, they were two things. One, I was passionate about acting, and wasn’t pursuing it for money or fame. Two, self-belief; I had to keep telling myself, ‘You’re good, you have to believe so because if you’re good and persistent, something will happen.’ Today, I value every opportunity.”

Talking about the stardom he has received for far, he said, “for as long as I can remember, I wanted to be a performer, and today, stardom is its by-product. When youngsters seek my advice, the first question I ask them is, ‘Are you passionate about acting or are you lured by the glitz of stardom?’ Stardom to me is empowering. You have the ability to spread smiles and cheer. It goes without saying, it comes with a certain amount of responsibility. There are negatives too, but the upside compensates, and you learn to take it in your stride.”

“I am a special case because I never became a huge star in my head. I’m still the kid with stars in his eyes who is in disbelief that he even became a star. Priyanka (Chopra Jonas) always tells me, ‘Tu wo ladka hai jisko yakeen hi nahin ho raha hai ki wo star bann gaya. Jo aaj bhi bolta hai ‘mummy, main star bann gaya, dekho ye log meri photo lena chahte hain (laughs).’ However, of late, my workload has increased, and I am short on time; this is also changing my demeanour,” he added.

Apart from films, Ranveer is also known for his quirky and elegant fashion sense. His vibrant and comprehensive fashion choices have also attracted criticism but, the actor hardly seems to be moved by it. Now, the actor will be seen in Kabir Khan directorial 83 where he plays Kapil Dev who led the Indian cricket team to win the 1983 ICC World Cup.