Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Breaking Stereotypes Veteran Actress Rohini H to play a Male character

RheaSingh thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 4 years ago

[EXCLUSIVE] Veteran actress Rohini Hattangadi opens up on playing a male character in Marathi film Once MoreNewsUpdated Jul 09, 2019 | 07:35 IST | Zoom TV Digital

Veteran actor Rohini Hattangadi is all set to play a male character in upcoming Marathi film Once More. The film will also see her play another character of a Maharani. We met the actress for a candid chat.

Rohini Hattangadi's candid interview on occasion of her upcoming film Once MoreEXCLUSIVE| Veteran actress Rohini Hattangadi opens up on playing a male character in Marathi film Once More 

Upcoming Marathi movie Once More's latest poster with veteran actress Rohini Hattangadi in a different look piqued curiosity. Her male character looks, created a lot of buzz and a lot of questions related to the film and Rohini's character started doing the rounds. We decided to get all the answers pertaining to her character and the film and hence met the senior actress for a candid chat. The actress was in the best of her moods as always and it was interesting to go ahead with the interview, which happened as under.

Rohini Ma'am, your upcoming Marathi film Once More is set to release soon and it indeed is one of its kind films, as you will be seen playing two different characters, amongst which one is a male character and it’s not just a dress up but a full-fledged role, please tell us more about this?

Rohini: First of all it was a challenge in itself, as I had to play two different roles. I have done this before only once in the ’80s for a play named Rathchakra which happened before Gandhi. In the play, I played this 80-year-old woman BK Shah in the first act and then in the third, I went on to play another character, so yes they were two different characters but they were only female. Here in this film, I am playing a male and a female character so yes it is different and interesting. It was a challenge for sure but also fun at the same time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzaNB7LpxLb/

Prosthetics have been used for the male character of yours. This is happening first time in your career that prosthetics makeup is used for a specific role or yours. And I totally understand it was quite difficult to get ready with it. How was your overall experience with this?

Rohini: Actually, the moment I decided to take up this film and the male character, it was presumed that prosthetics are going to very much be there. And somehow I had the idea of how it works and all. So to begin with they came to my home and took measurements of my face to make a mould. Then after, the mould was ready they again came over and tried it on me, then they did the requisite changes as per my face frame. This whole process took almost 15 days’ time. Ultimately, we did this first look test on the sets with all the makeup and all. Still not the exact makeup what I later did for the movie but yes it was almost close to that. And once I was ready and I came on the sets. There was this cameraman present who whispered into my director’s ears asking, 'who is this gentleman?' (laughs). That was a compliment I can say. And then finally, in the film it used to take hours to get ready, but as I said it was assumed already this would happen. I used to just sit with my eyes closed and the makeup artists did their work. At times I used to doze off and they would tell me that wasn’t an issue telling me to sleep if I wanted to, while they did their work patiently.

As heard, it would take 5 long hours to get ready with the prosthetics, but it did not end there, it was just not dialogues that you had to deliver but you also had to run around and do some stunts in that look. How did you manage that?

Rohini: See now the running around was to be done by the grandfather, so it had to be done according to his age and he is not young blood for sure. So that I could manage easily. Actually, my sports background also helped a lot. During my college years, say the ’60s or 70’s I was into sports completely. I used to play Volley Ball for the university, also basketball, I was in the NCC as well, I even had a dance background, so it was not difficult for me at all. And after all, he is a grandfather so the age factor was very much there.

This movie Once More has historic era as well as the present times shown in it, which era does your character in the film belong to?

Rohini: The grandfather is from the present age, while the Maharani belongs to the historic times.

You are quite active on social media, what is the best compliment you received for this male look on social media?

Rohini: (Laughs) Best as in won’t say the best but many people are astonished after seeing me in this look. And one comment said, “Aga Kay he…” (What is this) and another one just came in today, which said, “Shiii Baai, Amchi Rohini ashi purshi veshaat amhala nahi avadnar, tichi khali miss karu amhi, tyamule amhi ha cinema nahi pahnar…” (Eww, we won’t like our dear Rohini in this male look, we will miss her dimple, so we won’t watch this movie). So I said hold on, the original Rohini is also very much there in the film so do watch it. So people are giving realistic comments and it feels good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzXflAMJpj-/

What would you like to tell your fans?

Rohini: All I would say is, do watch the film, it is a different one and is quite entertaining at the same time. And we all have worked really hard on the film. It’s first of a kind in Marathi, so do watch the film.

https://www.timesnownews.com/entertainment/news/article/exclusive-veteran-actress-rohini-hattangadi-opens-up-on-playing-a-male-character-in-marathi-film-once-more/450637?fbclid=IwAR3oQhaS1VtM8aVuOIQnxx5WkgPdJsUskU1FpDp_enICkIazpO3sXrK2QT4

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mannikarnikaa thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

👍🏼

one of my all time fav actresses....

such a shame she isn't seen much in hindi belt