Anurag Prerna FF; Can we go back? UPDATE: Page 2

music_l0ver036 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 4 years ago

As the sun set, the horizon looked magnificent. That’s the only word Prerna would use to describe it. Shades of purple, pink and orange all mixed together cast a beautiful glow on Anurag’s face. He had been laying down with his head on her lap for the past 10 minutes, close to falling asleep now. Right after he explained some elaborate plan to expose Komolika. Of course, Prerna didn’t agree to it, at least not initially. Anurag wanted to apparently suffocate Komolika with his love so much that she would be the one to break all ties with him. Prerna couldn’t help but laugh at his foolishness. She knew that plan wouldn’t work. Komolika thrived on any attention from Anurag and now he wanted to drown her in it? She wouldn’t be put off by it, instead she’d use it against Anurag and Prerna somehow. Prerna suggested that it might be a better idea if Anurag just keeps Komolika occupied while she tried to get to the root of what was happening. Why would Moloy kaka write a letter suggesting Komolika and Anurag be married? It made no sense. Prerna knew that Moloy Kaka and Anurag were of entirely different breeds than the rest of the Basus. So him wanting Komolika to be his daughter-in-law was a bit out of character for him.

“You don’t think Komolika will suspect us?” Prerna mumbled as her fingers combed through Anurag’s hair.

“Not after the shit I pulled two weeks ago,” Anurag replied, with a bit of regret in his voice. “I’m sorry again. I don’t know why I thought it was okay for me to insult you like that, you know I didn’t mean any of it right?”

His voice was just slightly groggy, even though he hadn’t quite fallen asleep. His eyes were still shut, partly because she knew he couldn’t face her. Truth was Prerna hadn’t forgiven him entirely. How could she? She had thought that they were friends before anything else, and that meant he respected her. It’s going to take her more time to heal from that wound.

“You’re our servant’s daughter. You really thought I cared for you let alone loved you?”

The words had been ruminating in her head over and over again, even now, after Anurag apologized what seems like a thousand times; it still cut her deep.

“Yeah I know babe”, Prerna smiled down at him and kissed his forehead. “Wait don’t open your eyes, you look very insta-worthy right now. Let me take a picture”

“Do I look hot?” Anurag smirked the way he usually does.

“Nah.. I just wanted to commemorate the ugliness it all its glory”

“You’re hilarious”, Anurag promptly opened his eyes. The sunlight hit them in a way where they turned from dark brown to almost hazel, something quite breathtaking. But these days Prerna had to hold herself back from complimenting Anurag so freely. She refused to be a cliché but after the way he hurt her, she had to be careful. Keep him at arm’s length. Honestly, even when she tries to express her love, it doesn't come out the right way. Another thing that cut her so deep.

“I almost posted it on my account”, Prerna said, “not that I would ever let Komo baby follow me but your whole family follows me. So, gotta keep up the pretense”.

Anurag grew quiet. Prerna knew that was an unfair comment to make on her part. He really was trying. After he confessed to her why he had insulted her, it made her even more mad. How could he be so stupid to think that pushing her away, making her hate him, would work. That’s why Prerna was even more upset. They spent a good portion of that day trying to piece together their relationship. After handful of apologies and tears smearing down both of their faces, it was time for Prerna to make a decision. She knew he had to do a lot more than say sorry to earn her trust again, and she knew the red flags of an abusive relationship, nonetheless, she embraced him. At the end, she chose to believe Anurag.

“Sorry”, Prerna almost whispered. Anurag didn’t reply. Instead, he went back to sleep.

The glow on Anurag’s face started diminishing as the sun set down further and further down. It was time to go back home. For one night, Prerna wanted to escape Mohini aunty’s eyerolls, Nivedita’s pompous remarks, and Komolika’s whole existence. Above all else, she was tired. She wanted to be with her husband, alone, away from the helplessness. She was usually so quick on her feet, but loving Anurag has made her weak. It’s an unfortunate thought, but one that remains with the forgiveness she’s kept hidden. 

“Come on let’s go home”, Prerna urged. She tried to jostle Anurag away from her lap. After a couple of tries, he reluctantly stood up. He cupped Prerna’s cheeks and kissed her lips. A soft but quick peck.

“I know you’re hurt babe but please don’t shut me out”, he was smiling. The fuzzy warm feeling in her belly returned, one she used to get when she first fell in love with Anurag. Prerna returned the smile, a genuine one. One that said, I’m trying. She got on her tippy toes, held him by the back of his neck and caressed his lips with her own. At first, ever so slightly. Then, she kissed him like he hurt her, hard and fast. Anurag must have sensed it because he stopped her after a few seconds. He liked the lingering, slow kisses better. As they stood in the park, next to the basketball court, it occurred to both of them that they might not be able to go back to the way things used to be.

Anurag interlocked his fingers with Prerna’s and led her to his car. It was a silent 5-minute trip to the car. Prerna relished in the silence, took it as anopportunity to compose herself.

It was Anurag’s idea to have Prerna claim to be his wife. In hindsight, it wasn’t the brightest idea he had, but one that kept Prerna close to him. That too seemed a little controlling now that he thought about it. He can honestly say he was thinking about Prerna’s safety when he decided to marry Komolika. Being apart from her was a better option than seeing her dead. But there were two people in their relationship. And the fact he decided to end the relationship without even so much as talking to Prerna was a betrayal he can only apologize for. To add literal insult to injury, all the horrible things he said about Prerna only made matters worse.

Last Tuesday, Prerna came what can only be described as stomping to Basu house. Rest of his family had gone to visit his dad at the hospital but he had stayed back to look through some Basu Publications paperwork.

“Bullshit”,Anurag heard Prerna before he saw her. When he did finally see her, messy hair and red eyes, he was taken by surprise.

“What are you doing here?” Anurag asked.

“I call bullshit. You didn’t mean anything you said to me last week. So what’s the deal?” She was inches away from him. He could smell the Jasmine scent from this close, it was faint but still intoxicating.

“Nothing.I told you I like playing mind games and you were the perfect target”, Anurag honestly didn’t know how long he could put up the charade, but he had to try.

“Yeah and I wasn’t freakin born yesterday. You really want me to believe that? I don’t think I’m that bad judge of character”, Prerna snapped back.

“Maybe you don’t know yourself that well, probably why it was so easy to pull the rug under your feet”, Anurag could barely look at her. The lack of conviction in his words had to give him away.

“You still wanna pull the rug after you find out that I’m pregnant?”

“You’re lying”, Anurag cursed himself for spitting out the words out a little too fast. He finally met her eyes, swollen red, and smeared what little mascara she had managed to put on. Her hair was framing her face like it usually does, but a little messier, as if she couldn’t have bothered to slide a comb through it. And finally the red hot anger, from her head to the tips of her toes. He felt lightheaded all of a sudden.

Prerna swiftly turned around without another word.

“She threatened to kill you”, Anurag finally blurted it out. Prerna stopped in her tracks.

“So instead of calling the cops, you thought you’d marry the person that threatened to kill your girlfriend?” As soon as Anurag heard the word girlfriend, he couldn’t help but think that they never actually had that conversation. They hadn't talked about "what they were". Never put an official label on their relationship, didn't talk about being exclusive to each other, or call each other boyfriend and girlfriend. He knew it wasn't the time nor the place to dwell on it but it weirdly distracted him. It took him a couple seconds to shake the thought away and instead focused on Prerna. His Prerna. So effortlessly beautiful and intelligent and kind.

“I think she’s also involved in our dads’ accident”, he didn’t know if that really helped his case.

“What do you mean she was involved? Then let’s go and tell the police”, Prerna’s voice caught on her throat as a hopeful look veiled her face. She was finally going to get justice for her father. 

“We don’t have proof. That’s what I’m trying to tell you here”, Anurag stepped towards her and slid his hand around Prerna’s waist. He felt her flinch. He stepped back just as quickly, but Prerna inched closer after a moment. He tried to hold her again and this time, she leaned into him. “Hey, we have to tread carefully here. Komolika is dangerous”.

“So what did she say? That you had to marry her or I’d stop breathing?” Prerna raised her eyebrows in disbelief.

“Yeah, basically. What would you have done in my place?” Anurag asked honestly.

“I don’t know but I wouldn’t have married her that’s for sure”

Anurag was still holding Prerna by the waist, just so. He rest his forehead on hers and whispered, “I’m sorry”.

Prerna didn’t make a sound. Instead, she looked at him, gave a small smile, and embraced him. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

music_l0ver036 thumbnail

Hey everyone. I freakin hated the way the whole plot was handled so i thought I'd do my own bit for writing. Please let me know if you like it and if I should continue. I haven't written in a very long time so it's not great so be nice haha. Thank you for reading! 

rp5127 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Beautiful! I wish CVs had handled it this way! 

nancy56 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

This is kinda mature and a very heart warming write up ! Not much heavy throughout , but at places it gives major feels ! 

I don’t come across such writings more often , and the fact is I thoroughly enjoyed this one 

It was fast but still was giving every feeling it needed too !!!

Amazing ! 

music_l0ver036 thumbnail

Originally posted by: rp5127

Beautiful! I wish CVs had handled it this way! 

thank you!! 

music_l0ver036 thumbnail

Originally posted by: nancy56

This is kinda mature and a very heart warming write up ! Not much heavy throughout , but at places it gives major feels ! 

I don’t come across such writings more often , and the fact is I thoroughly enjoyed this one 

It was fast but still was giving every feeling it needed too !!!

Amazing ! 

awh thank you. I really appreciate the kind words. 😊

music_l0ver036 thumbnail

thank you

music_l0ver036 thumbnail

Hello everyone. It took me a really long time but I'm here with another update. Thanks for reading. 

It’dbeen 6 weeks since Prerna had been living at Anurag’s house, uninvited andunwanted. She came with the mindset of “screw everybody” but reality was muchmore painful. Anurag’s mom and sister were never going to accept the so-calledmiddle-class girl. Rich people really don’t care about anyone but themselvesand their damn pride. When Mohini realizes Komolika is behind her husband’saccident, then all hell’s bound to break loose. Prerna, for one, cannot waituntil that happens. She’s had enough of Mohni’s narcissistic personality, andshe can only pretend that it doesn’t bother her for so long. The worst wasKomolika, always latching onto Anurag like he was her property. Everytime shecalled Anurag “baby”, Prerna wanted to scream. Seeing the two of them togetherbothered Prerna a lot more than she led on to believe.

Atleast Prerna had a few things to keep her distracted. She was still interningat Basu Publications, which occupied most of her days. She and Anurag were alsotrying to get evidence against Komolika of the car accident. But of course,she’s Nivedita’s intern. Prerna learned more about publishing books in thefirst week she’d been at Basu Publications than she had her entire life. It wasactually fairly interesting, bringing in clients, convincing them to sign withBasu Publications, possibly go on tour with them, make decisions about thecover, and read a million manuscripts. But Prerna was itching to edit some ofthe books. She had loved writing essays in class, both in Hindi and English.But, Nivi had other ideas. She wanted Prerna to fetch tea, her dry cleaning,and make reservations for dinner with writers, which couldn’t even attend.

Prernadelicately put the tea down on the table, very careful not to spill it. If shedid, then Nivedita would definitely make some snarky comment about how ifPrerna couldn’t even properly serve tea then how will she ever work at BasuPublications. Not that tea and book publishing have any correlation butNivedita rarely needed an excuse to yell at Prerna. Prerna was a bit shakytoday though, she had every reason to be. She was going to pitch to Niveditaabout wanting to finally edit a book. She had practiced in front of a mirror inthe morning.  She had index cards and thewhole nine yards. Even on her way to work, she was mumbling under her breath,practicing every point she was going to make. She did receive a few weird looksfrom people on the elevator, but she was too nervous to give it a secondthought. Nivedita was in front of her, on her laptop, going through the emailsshe received over the weekend. It took her a minute to realize Prerna was stillin the office.

“Can I help you?” Nivedita raised hereyebrow like she always does.

“I wanted to ask you something”, Prernaspit out, not quite making an eye contact with her supervisor. Niveditagestured her to continue.

“It’s just that, I’ve been here for almost6 months, I’ve been doing a lot of grunt work, have been bringing in a fewclients, going on tours with them, so I was hoping for a promotion”, saidPrerna, a little too fast and unlike how she practiced before she got to work.

“Prerna I know you want to be an editor,but I can’t just give you a promotion. You don’t have the experience. Bringingin a couple of small name writers to sign on to Basu Publications is not goingto suffice. Plus, I need you here as my assistant, which is a job you’re prettymuch excelling at this point”, Nivedita replied and. turned her attention backto her laptop.

Prerna took a deep breath and said, ‘screwit’, internally of course.

“I’m not here to be your assistant. But bybeing your assistant, I’ve learned quite a lot. I know how to manage my timebetter because of you. I know what kind of manuscripts are worth my timebecause you’ve given me pointers on what to look for.  For example, I need to look at the concept ofthe book and see if it follows through the whole way, understand the charactersa lot more than the plot, to avoid clichés at all times, and stay the hell awayfrom star crossed lovers even if my life depended on it. And how to talk topotential clients, learn about their likes and dislikes before you meet them,and…”

“Okay I get it, you have ears and youlisten to what I say.” Nivedita interrupted what Prerna thought was actually apretty good pitch. Nivedita loved being appreciated for her work, Prerna knewthat more than anyone at this point. It’s not like Prerna was lying, everythingshe said was correct and Nivedita was actually a pretty good teacher, veryharsh, but a good teacher, nonetheless. Prerna did feel that Nivedita was warming up to her though, she hadn’tbeen personally attacking her for a long time. For a second, she wanted to tellNivedita about Komolika being behind her dad’s accident. But then again, shewould have been upset at Prerna for hiding it this long, and she wouldn’t eventhink about promoting Prerna. She felt a bit selfish for thinking about herwork during all of this, but she couldn’t help it. She’d been working reallyhard to get where she’s at and she wouldn’t want to lose all. She didn’t wantto think too hard about it or else the guilt would consume her. 

“Can we at least do a trial period?” Prernaasked. 

“What do you mean?” Nivedita replied with aquestion of her own.

“I will still be your assistant but I’llbring in a new client, one of your choosing, and edit their book, and see ifit’s up to your standard”, Prerna answered, her voiced filled with conviction. Shewasn’t feeling as confident as she looked but Nivedita didn’t know that.

“Fine, I’ll email you the client”, Niveditashooed her away. Prerna everything but squealed. She didn’t think Niveditawould have budged this easily.  

“Thank you so much. I won’t let you down”,Prerna said with a big smile on her face.

Prernawas checking her email every minute. When was Nivedita going to send her aclient’s name? Prerna decided to fax a stack of paper that needed a client’ssignature, something to buy her time. She was tired of refreshing her email. Shefelt her phone buzz, indicating a text message. It was Anurag.

How’s work?

Great, your sister finally gave me my own client!!!

That’s great. I’m so happy for you.

Thanks!

Prernaput her phone away. Last thing she wanted was Nivedita to comment on usingphone too much at work. After she received the fax confirmation, Prerna headedback to her seat. She had a new email, from Nivedita. It wrote:

Prerna,

Here’s a new client we’re trying to rope in. His name isRishab Bajaj. He’s writing a book about his business ventures. Everyone wantsto publish his book, and so do we. Convince him to sign with us and we can seeif you can handle consistent clients.

Nivedita Basu

Prernaimmediately googled Rishab Bajaj. She hadn’t heard the name before, and sheneeded to find everything about him if she was going to pull this off. Twentyminutes later, Prerna realized Nivedita had not given her an easy task. She shouldhave expected it but it’s not like Prerna was about to back out from achallenge. Rishab Bajaj didn’t seem like the easiest guy to talk to let alone convincehim to sign with Basu Publications. For now, the feat will be how she’ll beable to get in touch with him.

Aftera bit of thinking, it occurred to Prerna that there was at least someone in theoffice that could help her get started. She walked over to the office 3 doorsdown and knocked on the door, a bit hesitantly.

“Comein”, replied the voice on the other side of the door.

“HeyAnupam”, Prerna greeted as she entered. Anupam looked up from his laptop and gavePrerna a smile. Honestly, Prerna liked Anupam. He was a funny guy, treated Nivifar better than she deserved, and was really good in what he did. He handledthe finance side of the business. How much money we were going to offer toclients, the advance, travel expenses for employees, salaries and benefits andbasically everything that had to do with money was on Anupam. He was the headof the finance department. Prerna doesn’t know if he would have gotten the jobif he wasn’t married to Nivedita but if you got connections why not use it? EvenPrerna got her job because she knows the CEO of the company.