I failed the movie by not being the right governing force: Karan Johar

altgr thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

I failed the movie by not being the right governing force: Karan Johar on box-office failure of KalankUpdated Jun 03, 2019 | 10:12 IST | Amman Khurana

Karan Johar, in a recent interview with a leading tabloid, opened up on the box-office failure of Kalank. The film, an April release, had ended up with lifetime collection of Rs 80.35 crore.

Karan Johar opens up on box-office failure of Kalank

Karan Johar opens up on box-office failure of Kalank

The colossal failure of Kalank came as a big blow to Dharma Productions. The film production house, headed by Karan Johar, had huge expectations from the multi-starrer period drama but as the fate would have it, the film, marred by unfavourable reviews and negative word of mouth, ended up with lifetime box-office collection of Rs 80.35 crore. For a film, made on a heavy budget of Rs 150 crore, this was a poor performance.

In a recent chat with DNA, Karan, whose last release was Student of the Year 2, opened up on the debacle of Kalank and how he dealt with it. The filmmaker said, “My director Abhishek Varman and I sat down and we analysed where we fumbled. I have to be involved with each film Dharma produces, because I am not just the producer, I am the creative producer.”

Advertising

Advertising

Holding himself responsible for the film’s poor show at the box-office, Karan said, “To me, when Kalank fails, it is my failure. I’m the older one, I’m the wiser one. I’m the more knowledgeable person about what works and what doesn’t. If the film has faltered, it is largely my responsibility and my blame. Of course, no one person can take the blame, but I choose to because I felt that the material was something I was aware of for not one year but 15 years. It was a film that was close to my heart and perhaps that is the reason why I lost a certain objectivity.”

The filmmaker further said that he did not look at Kalank as a failure but a success because he learnt from it. He told the tabloid, “I failed the movie by not being the right governing force. And this taught me so much. There are two ways I could have gone about this. I could have sunk in this failure or I could have questioned, ‘Why?’ Or I could have said, ‘Why did this happen and let me learn from this.’ Let this be a new 2.0 feeling where I am a lot more analytical. I am putting my projects through a lot more trials and tribulations before it is out there to an audience. When you fail and learn from it, that to me is a success. I will never look at Kalank as a failure. I will look at it as a success because it has taught me how not to fail like this.”

Loading video

Kalank featured an ensemble star cast comprising Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt, Aditya Roy Kapur, Sonakshi Sinha, Sanjay Dutt and Madhuri Dixit. The film, co-produced by Fox Star Studios, hit the screens on April 17.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

juba thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

thht..yeh bhi batata na k kia fail hoa as per him? Also,soty..his thoughts on that?? After Aamir's thoughts on thugs i would like to know kjo's thoughts on "Madhuri's film"

Jaitreya23 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

" Of course, no one person can take the blame, but I choose to because I felt that the material ..." 

What is this KJo? You are not doing any obligation or favor to anyone by taking the blame. You are to be blamed. It was a bad script. You choose wrong actors too. The fault is yours. No choice.

GrumpyTheCat thumbnail

Awww.. another mahaan atma .. taking the blame 😭😭

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

To me it reads as if he thinks Abhishek did everything wrong but he’ll take the blame because he didn’t supervise him properly. Also that bit about him choosing to take blame seems self indulgent. He just wants sympathy and is saying what he thinks is what people want to hear.   

Nishita123 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

of course, being a producer you have to take the blame. 

MercurialMedusa thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

It is ofcourse his failure. Who is even debating that?

you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Luka Chhupi and Badla made more money than Kalank🤣

Haegeum thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: you2

Luka Chhupi and Badla made more money than Kalank🤣

Really ironic given snake Jo liked post against SRK  before Kalank debacle happened 😂

MoonOrchid thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

To me it reads as if he thinks Abhishek did everything wrong but he’ll take the blame because he didn’t supervise him properly. Also that bit about him choosing to take blame seems self indulgent. He just wants sympathy and is saying what he thinks is what people want to hear.   

agreed.

He's only admitting  this in order to  passive agressively reinforce he's still blaming everyone but himself.

Just looking for pity.