Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Bollywood influence in Aladdin:Will Smith explains - Page 2

Posted: 4 years ago

Will Smith is such a has-been. He's been trying to get attention from India for 10+ years now. 

Badshah has a song in the Hindi version of Aladdin. They are going hard after the BW market so they're making stupid comments to attract Indians.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Charaiveti thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 4 years ago

This content was originally posted by: mango.chutney

They are trying to pander to India so badly. I haven't liked any live action Disney film but Aladdin was one I grew up on so I was a bit curious for this one...not anymore though.  

Sidenote: Aladdin is originally a Chinese story. Not sure how the Middle Eastern flare came to it, but it stuck. And I agree, what does sing and dance have to do to exclusively with BW? All Disney films have singing and dancing so....?

What happened is an French author heard the story from a Syrian storyteller some centuries ago n added it to  101 Arabian nights. Original Arabian nights collection didn't have Alaadin in it.. In the Arabian nights with Aladdin it's told to be set in China but with no Chinese culture in it but full middleastern culture. Some assume at that time maybe China occupied some of middle East.

Now Disney in their animated film set the film in an fictional town Agrabah n totally mixed Indian n Arabian culture. The sulta's palce looks like Taj Mahal,Agrabah is derived fromAgra,the characters look more Indian that Arabic.i think it was due to us 's ignorance that time thinking anything south n south west Asian =Indian n anything east Asian =Chinese or Japanese. I mean they research so less that in later direct to DVD sequels both Mulan n Jasmine got married in s Christian walking down aisle n vows way,not in a Muslim wedding or traditional Chinese wedding. Also some say the film is set in Iraq cz it refers to Baghdad at some point

Thus Aladdin is a hotchpotch n Noone knows where it is set. But now Arabic us citizens claim it as Arabic cz they want a Disney princess who's Arabic n I understand their demand from a desire for representation pov

Edited by Charaiveti - 4 years ago