An act of Fasting

Hamlet53 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Sufiyana Pyaar Mera ~ My musings  6.5.19  An act of Fasting.

To fast is to abstain from food or drink for religious or medical reasons.  For many,  religious order fasting  may involve giving up or having to do something that is difficult to give up. This episode, celebrates the sighting of the crescent that  marks the arrival of  Ramazan the Muslim holy month of fasting that involves  denying the body any sustence  from  sunrise to sunset. Against this back drop,  we  have  Sultanat who denies   Zaroon’s Sufiyana love. We have Kainat , who denies herself from reaching out to Zaroon whom she desires, all the more, as he was  chosen for her by her elders.

I find each one of them going through a period of fasting, where they are put into situations on account of the directives of their hearts. Zaroon and Kainat feel strongly about giving up what they cannot do without. They  feel they are going through  a matter of life and death. For Kainat ,  to lose  Zaroon is like starving herself of life itself.  Zaroon,too feels that to give up Saltanat  will be nothing  short of an  ordeal of death.  His soul without Saltanat is,  as if the body is starved of food or drink.  

Zaroon becomes an issue that is passed back and forth between Sultanat and Kainat . First it was the grooms clothes,  now it’s the brides clothes returned from one sister to another. But here one deals not with symbolic garments. For what’s at stake here is the emotions of this trio. Kainat, Sultanat, Zaroon. All nurture the glow of Sufiyana love in their hearts. But to Zaroon, there lies a defiance in his love. For him, no matter what poses a threat to his Sufiyana love, be it familial bonds, or loyalty to one’s belief and principles, his Sufiyana love reigns supreme.Everything else takes second place.

But then again on the contrary , it’s this very  sufiiyana   love that gives each one of them, the determination to dig their heels to achieve this Sufiyana  love. Love contains a passion, that provokes humans to react. To resort to taking extreme measures,like taking their own life!

As the sighting of the Ramzan moon brings for the Muslims  blessings and opportunities to communicate with their god. In the episode ,we see how Sultanat clarifies  Zaroon’s misconception that her refusal to him is not based  due to a crusade for  Kainat’s right. He is made to understand that really her no is for him! and all those like him  , who  evenin this day and age continue to believe that a man’s rejection and approval holds more clout than a woman’s.

For Zaroon however, when  all are preoccupiedwith the sighting of the moon. He uses the scenario to fight the case for his Sufiyana love Zaroon is not a man who gives up easily. He clearly, professionally too, is used to being surrounded by challenges and opponents. He is used to frayed nerves and taking snap decisions. He knows the knack of predicting his opponents moves .Pity ! where his determination  to score is strong, yet he fails to pre-empt probabilities beyond his control. Like in reality, he was quietly confidently that Sultanat would go along with his Sufiyana love. Only she  doesn’t and instead  she flags up a women’s rights rather crucial issue. Zaroon has to come up with something strong to win her over towards his Sufiyana love. Zaroon,like before, believes he can coerce people to change their stance. Previously he felt he had the right to influence Kainat  to convert  her mother’s decision. In this episode he threatens Saltanat  to use moves,  that might thaw her current cold ,stubborn  attitude towards him..

Sultanat chastises him and is quick to remind that envisaging about taking one’s  life,  a gift from god, is blasphemous,  as one’slife and death lies in the mighty hand of god’s hand!  It's an attitude displeasing to god. Sultanat actually  shows Zaroon that such talk does not make his case stronger for she still holds her ground. That if he is to marry any girl in India, it has to be  Kainat !

Giving up his love for Saltanat  which knows not traditions, norms, restrictions except that it is a pure ,almost spiritual passion..  it is a hard task, a fasting, a denial , that Sultanat imposes upon him. His spirit rebels, as the gut groans  with starvation! his soul thirsts for her love too..  but  Saltanat  is adamant in her stance.. Kainat is the girl for him. Have to say  ,she makes cruel gibes at him, that her No dents his male ego!  All this also, to impress upon him that  she is stubborn in her stand, that she’ll  ensure he gets married to Kainat!

Well ,he  reacts to her decree, and is hell bent to play what has become an ugly game of  obstinacy between them. Saltanat , has a point, which most civilized societies of the world abide by ,along with Islamic teaching too.  Equality  in the right to  reject  and accept  between a man and woman. But Zaroon opposes this view, and puts up a publicly  confessed declaration against Sultanat . His resolve is to get  Saltanat!

Saltant actually reminds him of the clout Mainjaan holds in his service both to humanity and his faith!  In a way , she really tells him that it’s a good thing he was not given the privilege of being the heir to their Sufi ancestry.  What with him talking about taking his life!

But Zaroon is obdurate in his resolve!  to achieve Saltanat , as she were an article! as she taunts him earlier. So all other  women of the world are  Haram, mahram! forbidden  for him except Sultanat! It’s almost like a declared hunger strike ! done so in protest against an unfair! Unjust   ruling!  Again a man  devaluing a woman’s stance.

Within Saltanat , I see a calm  spirit, one that one has, before one is aboutto embrace a fasting period. She is graced  with the feeling , that her prayer, to her god is about the right issue.. fair treatment, and value given to women’s decisions like men.  

Kainat , who is  watches from the side-lines,  also holds a tranquillity  within her. Although she is pleased that Saltanat, continues to  ward off Zaroon ‘sadvances.  Kainat still rests her case in god's court. She too believes, if Zaroon is meant for her, then her god will give him to her as a blessing and not as Saltanat’s reject .. she even tells  Saltanat too. Mind you , even now  Kainat  still smarts over the fact ,that had Saltanat not made passes at him, Zaroon, just might have chosen her!and this mess could have been avoided.During this fasting period will Kainat try to give  up on suspecting Sultanat ‘s motives?

Mess there is, there is a cold war between Zainab and  Rubina. Zainab cannot help bring up the question of poor parenting, she taunts  Rubina as being one ,as her Sultanat  is the one to create dispute. will  these two women, both give up their bickering during fasting time?   since both have lost Zaroon ! 

Between Kainat and  Saltanat, I find Sultanat  reasonable in the episode. Her refusing Zaroon’s Sufiyana love stems from her following the  codes of ethics and the rights given to her as a woman by her faith also 

I see others characters too going through a period of giving up something they covet. Mamoon and Ghazala  decide to leave. Mamoon has to give up his dream of inheriting his father’s legacy. He almost, nearly got it. How much longer will he have to observe this fasting?

Zaroon , though decides to stay! As he has found a reason to stay back and fast!  To  give up Saltanat ! only to prove his point, that  he may have come for Kainat , but marry he will ,only Saltanat !

His stubborn will  is going to look for ways and means to remove the impediment Kainat , out of his way to gain access to his Sufiyana love..  Fasting he will observe. As he says to Sultanat, but in every prayer he will ask the almighty to give him Saltanat . Quite like  Kainat. Who  during her fasting will ask  god, for Zaroon to be given to her… 7,5.19 hamlet53. 

Ramazan Mubarak to forum friends.. peace and goodwill.. love hammie

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

phoenix27 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

You write so beautifully. I for one believe that serial is going good though the story is very old a cliche but I find execution good 

Hamlet53 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ria2794

You write so beautifully. I for one believe that serial is going good though the story is very old a cliche but I find execution good 

Helloo ria2794, lovely to hear from you.. welcome to my post, you are gracious in appreciating my writing.. yes I agree the story is nothing not seen before. Yes, me too like yourself is looking out for  various ,twists and shades they bring to .It , sibling bonding too, in particular  interests me. lets enjoy the show,  together.. love hammie