WE WERE SUPPOSED TO MAKE A VERY DIFFERENT FILM WITH TIGER - Punit M

Posted: 4 years ago

PUNIT MALHOTRA ON STUDENT OF THE YEAR 2: WE WERE SUPPOSED TO MAKE A VERY DIFFERENT FILM WITH TIGER

By Himesh Mankad, Mumbai Mirror | Updated: May 1, 2019, 09.34 AM IST

Ananya Panday, Tiger Shroff and Tara Sutaria in SOTY 2; Punit Malhotra (Inset)

iNTERVIEW : PUNIT MALHOTRA, DIRECTOR

How did you come on board for Student of The Year 2 considering Karan Johar had directed the first part?

I think Karan was keen on turning this into a franchise since 2012. After Gori Tere Pyaar Mein, I was wondering what to do next and Karan suggested I explore a younger space, offering me SOTY2. I was initially reluctant as I didn’t have a subject, but when we started working towards it, there was no turning back. Then, we got Tiger Shroff on board and the deal was sealed.

But why an established actor like Tiger when the students—Varun Dhawan, Sidharth Malhotra and Alia Bhatt—were debutants the first time around?

We still have two debutantes— Tara Sutaria and Ananya Panday. We didn’t want to make this a Me Too of first part, so Tiger. It’s a film that speaks for itself, a fresh take on the subject. It’s more about sports and action.

Did you make any changes in the script after Tiger entered the picture?

We were supposed to make a very different film with Tiger in the lead, but two-three months before we were to roll with it, we realised the first draft was not working. So, we pulled the plug on it, went back to the drawing board and wrote a new script keeping Tiger’s strengths in mind. That’s the one we made with action integrated into the plot.

But doesn’t action take away the feel of a campus caper?

It gives the franchise another dimension. We’re being criticised because there are no books in this college but we are making a statement that education is not just about reading books, it’s also about sports and extracurricular activities. To be the student of the year, you have to be an all-rounder.

What’s new about SOTY2 that we haven’t seen in the original or Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar?

Well, this one is about more than just one college. Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar is the Bible for any High School film, so comparisons are inevitable. SOTY was a fresh take on the genre after almost 20 years and launched three big stars. I have retained its flavour but have given it a different spin.

Buzz is, the leading ladies don’t have much to do in the film...

I couldn’t have made the film without Tara and Ananya. There may be some unnees-bees when you compare their roles to Tiger’s, but everyone has a role to play.

How much has the script borrowed from your own student life?

I am a Mumbai boy and studied at HR College. We didn’t have a campus like St Teresa’s nor was our life as glamorous. But the masti finds its way into the film.

Just three films in a decade. Why?

It’s not intentional, I want to pick up pace. This one was supposed to release earlier, but there was back and forth. I’ll try to reduce the gap with the next one. I’d like to believe I’ve become a better director. Gori Tere Pyaar Mein didn’t do well; I’ve learnt from my mistakes.

Do you feel pressurised because your last film didn’t do well?

Any pressure is good. Even if a film does well, you feel the pressure. As a creative person, you always want to leave a mark and the fear of failure pushes you to do better.

There were reports about you teaming up with Akshay Kumar on a film some time ago.

That was Gutka, a script we all are close to. But it’s a sensitive subject and for now, it’s on the backburner.

What next?

There’s a lot on my mind but nothing clear at this point.

Any plans of getting married soon?

You find me a girl and I will get married.

[HIDDEN CONTENT]
The content of this post has been Hidden by User.

Script was altered keeping Tiger's strengths in mind. That speaks so much about the actor here. How long will they keep doing this. One day the audience will get bored and his strengths will become his biggest weakness. 

there were reports after Baghi2 they altered the script and put action sequences and then Tiger made the 'i dont't pay attention to the tagging around me' comment and here we are..they saying heroines have no part in it. 

Earlier the script was being altered as per Amrita singh's demand for Sara. Sridevi also said Jhanvi wanted to do soty ,but she wanted to get her married off LOL

what does he mean by saying 'metoo' of first part ??

God he sounds so dumb😒 What a male bimbo! 

Originally posted by anjs

what does he mean by saying 'metoo' of first part ??

Same question.

Does he mean a copy of soty or something to do with #metoo

God 🤦🏼‍♀️ This has got to be directed by Kjo . 

Wtf does “ME Too” mean.. 

He meant me too as in...you know someone does something and you agree "oh me too"

But that phrase has changed meaning now and he should be using it in the way he did.

Originally posted by Billi_Bangalan

Same question.

Does he mean a copy of soty or something to do with #metoo

maybe hes trying to say everybody wants to jump on the bandwagon just because someone elses movement / concept/movie clicked..