Kasautii Zindagii Kay 2

Noir~ ANUPRE FF P11~PG5 22/02/20

-Rehanna- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago

Los Angeles, the city of opportunity. Many people come and go with dreams of making it to fame, Hollywood seems but a breath away to some, yet the furthest thing from desire to few. It's always been known that the best place to hide is in plain sight, no one looks for something if they don't believe it's hidden, no one enquires about what goes on behind closed doors if they're always allowed inside. It was the most elaborate plan, no one had ever sussed it out, until they did.  

It's been known to the LAPD for a while that there has been an underground community ran by an unknown head who deals illegal substances and leads a gang who terrorises the known city of California. Anurag Basu, a private investigator for the Los Angeles Police Department, the unseen head of the Gang and Narcotics division has made it his life's work to crack down on them and bring the city back to safety. 

The task seemed easy, far too easy. Befriend Rodriguez Santiano's wife Prerna, the quiet beauty who seemed far too innocent to be the wife of a mob boss and collect intel. But when sparks fly and nothing is as clear as it seems, Anurag may find that protecting the woman who can never be his is far more important than the case he's tried to crack open for over a decade. 

~~~

PREFACE

Anurag had been in the police force long enough to know the difference between a gunshot and a car backfiring and this was definitely a gunshot. Spinning out the cylinder of his .357 magnum revolver he pushed in each bullet one by one, winding it back in he held it to his person, index finger a dot away from the trigger, placing it up to his chest he relaxed back into the brick wall and waited for whoever had made the shot to move into his line of sight.

His radio crackled beside him "Stand back Basu, it's too dangerous, you hear me, stand back"! The order was firm, one Anurag probably should have followed, but as usual he never did. Jobs never got done if orders were obeyed. 

Turning his body to the side, he held his arm out "Hands behind your head, where I can see them or I shoot", the man he faced currently was a low time drug dealer, a man who valued his life over prison time so he knew he wouldn't put up much of a fight if any. The injured man on the floor led with a gunshot wound to his arm and a dirty needle sticking out of the other, clearly the one on the floor owed money to the man who had shot him. Money made the world go around, it also threw people off half way before their end. 

"Oh, come on, I didn't even do it" arguing was futile, but somehow, they always tried.

Raising a brow, he chuckled "The gun is in your hand, come with me now and I'll put a good word in at the office for you, behave and you'll only have to do half of the sentence" beckoning him forward he lowered his gun "Let's go".

"See, I always knew you were decent" allowing him to place the cuffs on his wrist, he dropped the gun onto the floor "Let him die, bas***d stole my money".

"No can-do Robbo" pushing him toward another officer he scratched his forehead "Injured party round there, coast is clear".

"Basu, you come on these cases why? They're below your paygrade" Jim faced him, sweat glistened atop his balding scalp and ran down his nose, the coffee in his hand shook and spilt over the edge of the cup as his wrist wobbled, he was getting too old for this, but he wouldn't give it up anytime soon.

"Befriend the low class criminals, they're the ones who know the most" Anurag shook his hair, glossy raven coloured mane soft and shaggy around his neck, his muscles clenched as he pushed his gun back into his holster and pulled off his long, grey jacket that hit the back of his knees "Can't get anywhere without them, you know this Jim, you taught me this".

"And when do you ever listen to anything, I teach you?"

"I listen" dropping his head, he smiled lowly "I just don't always follow".

"Away with you, for that comment you can do the paperwork on this one" slapping his back he sat back in the car, he had always had a soft spot for Anurag, he was a smart man, keen to do his job and knew the system like the back of his hand. Not many men who had faced what he did came back fighting, but he had. In fact, he came back the next day, stronger, more silent, resilient but he never spoke of his pain and Jim never asked him, it was best not to. He wasn't the kind of man to speak of his nightmares, life was filled with too many. 

~~~

"Gin and tonic" his voice was raspy, scarce of all emotion, yet his eyes told a story that not many had seen. 

"Rough day Basu?"

"You could say that" the gruff chuckle that escaped his lips made his back ache, he couldn't recall the last time he had ate a good meal or even slept properly. The Rodriguez case had been keeping him awake, he knew men like Rodriguez, cold and harsh, unfeeling and terrifying, he had even met a man like him once. The man who had made a small-time cop like Anurag Basu become known in the police force, he should have been thankful for the push it gave him, but he wasn't. He could never un-see what he had seen, forget what he always remembered or save what had already been lost. 

Rodriguez was the kind of man who got away with murder in plain sight, the kind of man who killed families but left the children only to come back and take them in like he was doing them a favour, but of course this was a case too big and too dangerous for him to do alone, but no one wanted in on fighting the man who had taken so much from them already, they were all scared and in all honesty he couldn't blame them, he was too, the only difference was that he had nothing to lose, everything he once had, had already been taken from him. That's why he had to do this, because if he was correct then the Santiano's weren't the only ones to be wary of, someone had to try and take them down, it just so happened that he was that man. No one had tried to start from his wife, she didn't seem like a woman who got into trouble, she gave to charity, hosted parties and dressed elegantly, but he knew well enough that it was the kindest faces who sometimes hid the darkest secrets. Of course, she was untouchable, just like how Rodriguez wanted, getting close wouldn't be easy, but if he was right and he was sure he was. This woman knew it all, all of his dirty little secrets and his back-alley deals, only she could help put him away and he was willing to do anything he could to ensure that she did help him, even if it meant playing dirty, even if it meant making her fall for him. Someone had to take the risk, well, that's what he told himself. If not him, somebody would, it was for the better good and something done for the better good could never be wrong.

"Wanna talk about it?" Nicholas leant forward over the top of the bar, shaking a cocktail mixer in his hand as he spoke.

"Nothing to say Nick, just work as usual, I'm trying to figure out an action plan".

"To introduce yourself to Prerna you mean? Well why didn't you just say, she helps out in the downtown women's centre, collects money, does stalls, helps the women there find better lives for themselves, she goes every Thursday, so she'll be there tomorrow, just go and bump into her when she runs a stall".

"You're a genius Nick, what would I ever do without you?"

"Maybe not be a stress drinker?" Winking he pushed another glass forward "On the house, for trying to keep this place safe".

"I won't say no to that" clinking his glass against the bartender's hand he downed it in one, tomorrow he would finally come face to face with a woman capable of loving a monster, a woman who ignored his crimes and stayed anyway. Tomorrow would be the start of the end, the day that the Santiago empire began to fall.

PREFACE~ Above

1~ Sliding Down Walls~ Page 1

2~ The Breaking Of Dawn~ Page 2

3~ Whip It All Away~Page 2

4~ The Cost Of A Good Night~ Page 3

5~ Hating The If~ Page 3

6~ Ignoring Temptation~ Page 4

7~ You Came Back~ Page 4

8~ A Place Of Solace~ Page 5

9~ Finding Home In His Arms~ Page 5

10~ Some Prices Are Non-Negotiable~ Page 5

11~ A Special Gift~ Page 5

Edited by -Rehanna- - 4 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

PrincessRitz29 thumbnail
Yas!  You are back with a bang!  So good to see your writing after a long time!  👏 
The storyline is terrific,  so intriguing and unique. 
It fits the actors so well. 
Can't wait to be introduced to Prerna. 
Love 😊
-Rehanna- thumbnail
Originally posted by: PrincessRitz29

Yas!  You are back with a bang!  So good to see your writing after a long time!  👏 

The storyline is terrific,  so intriguing and unique. 
It fits the actors so well. 
Can't wait to be introduced to Prerna. 
Love 😊

YASS I AM BACK! It's so good to be back writing, I felt like a lost a part of my soul! 
I can't believe you remembered me, I feel so blessed! 
Thank you sweetpea! It does! 
Oooh me neither
Much love x
-Rehanna- thumbnail
1~ Sliding Down Walls
Anurag didn't expect much from today's meeting, it was clear that Prerna would have her guard up, she probably wouldn't even give him a second glance, she was most likely the type of woman who stood at charity balls to look good rather than for a good purpose. There wasn't much information on her, her record was squeaky clean but that didn't mean that her criminal record mirrored the reality. Either way he was prepared, he had spent the majority of his adult life readying himself for this moment, so come what may, he wouldn't leave without making sure he was someone she would remember.

Then he saw her, a long, sleek black car with shaded windows pulled up, her door was opened, and she was quick to step out, her face was serious, but it was hard to get a good glimpse of her emotions due to the beige coloured sunglasses that covered her eyes. She was dressed in a ruby red cashmere trench coat that was tied with a black belt around her waist, her long black boots rested around her knees, clicking against the pavement as she walked. Prerna froze when a child lifted up a water gun and squirted toward her back, he expected her to turn around and admonish the little girl, instead she surprised him, grabbing a gun herself she span elegantly, a wide smile on her soft pink lips, teeth a glistening white "Ari, you'll pay for that", the threat was playful as she ran fast after her, shooting her back and giggling when the girl chased her around.

This didn't seem like the wife of a mob boss, but appearances could be deceiving, just because she had a soft spot for children meant nothing, most of the women who were mob bosses' wives had children, it was common knowledge, that didn't mean she wasn't just as deadly and lethal as her husband. Shuffling on the balls of his feet he stepped before her causing the water from the gun to drench his minty green shirt, this way she would have to speak to him, but he knew he'd just be lucky if she looked at him.

Glancing up, she swallowed harshly, his beady eyes were like burnt copper, bright yet rusty, as if they had many stories to tell. Eyes that had seen many things had always intrigued her, her life at times felt so closeted, she longed for adventure. He was tall, 5 ft 8 at a guess, broad shoulders and muscular arms, the stubble on his tanned cheeks gave him a ruggedly handsome look and he exuded confidence and power, but the unmistakeable scent of gun powder and petrol from his clothes made her wary. She was no fool, people never wanted to just get to know her, they wanted to know her husband. "Sorry, I didn't see you there". 

Hiding his surprise at her apology for something that was so clearly his fault, he offered her his most comforting smile "I think it is me who should be sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going".

"We shouldn't be playing in the middle of the pathway" blushing she dropped her head, Prerna hated how quickly she had reacted to a good-looking man paying her the slightest bit of attention, she knew she was lonely but now she just felt desperate. Her eyes flickered toward the guard stood beside her car "Anyway if you'll excuse me" it was best to walk away, too long of a conversation and they'd report it to her husband and that really wouldn't be good.

"It was nice meeting you Miss" he hoped she would shout out her name before walking away.

"Prerna" it was barely a whisper as she turned away, she didn't ask for his name, nor look back at him, but for today it was more than enough, now when he purposely bumped into her again, he'd have an excuse to start a conversation.

~~~

Prerna had arrived home at a timely fashion, showered and changed her clothes, reapplied her make-up and got to cleaning the house and making dinner, Rodriguez was due to be home any second now but that thought offered her no solace whatsoever. Falling in love was meant to be beautiful, but oh what a terrifying descent it was. She had clung to him like her life depended on it and at that time it really felt like it did, she hoped for him to save her, but he only held her down. It wasn't until her lungs were so full of water that she finally realised, he was the joker, but it was her he had made into the clown.

"Scotch" he ordered brusquely as he slid past her, his maroon coloured hair was gelled back, eyes dark and tired and his form stiff. The soundwaves of his voice made her reminiscent of the tremors of an earthquake, the explosion was coming, but she never knew how big of one to expect.

Handing out the glass she looked down, did she ask how work was or was it best not to? She never knew, some days he wanted to be asked, other days he didn't, so today she would remain quiet.

"I said neat, you added ice, stupid bitch" the glass was flying across the room, smacking into her lip, busting it further before she even had a second to move, his hand wrapped around her hair, knuckles digging into her scalp as he pulled her to look up at him "Can't you do anything right? You know I don't want to hurt you, but you make me hurt you" releasing her hair, he shoved her head into the sideboard and watched as her body rolled into a heap on the floor "Oh get up, you're pathetic" he spat angrily "I'm going to shower, if dinner isn't ready when I'm out, don't expect me to be nice tonight".

Prerna pulled her body up and began to empty the glass into the kitchen bin, scrubbing at the stains on the side and washing away the blood on the floor. She was grateful for the lack of mirrors, but as soon as she turned, she caught her reflection in the dining table showing her contused skin that was both bruised and torn, swollen cheeks and a grazed chin from the beating today and the previous beatings. She didn't look too bad, nothing a bit more make up couldn't hide. These scars would fade, they always did. It was her own fault really, she had let him down from the start of their marriage, lost a baby and lost him his right to a heir now she'd forever pay the price. Prerna had always questioned the price of a life, now she knew, she wished she didn't. It was a cost she couldn't afford yet continued to pay on a daily basis, she was in debt to the devil and it was he who possessed her soul.

~~~

Anurag didn't move when his chair was rocked back so he was facing his assailant, didn't flinch at the onslaught of threatening words his enemy threw at him, back then he had been strong, it was like nothing could faze him, but now, everything did. He recalled the flannel being placed onto his face, the blindfold tied above it and around his eyes, then the freezing cold water that dripped onto his covered face, smothering him and burning his throat as he gasped for oxygen, spluttering and spitting when he was released for a moment to gain his breath. That was only the first day, it got worse from there, memories he wished he didn't have to remember, but he did. Every night they'd visit him, like friends he had known forever only to turn sordid and bitter, filling his brain with painful thoughts, try as he might he couldn't escape them, even if he wanted to, and he did, want to.

Then there was the diagnosis when he was finally freed, PTSD, four big black letters that stared him down, he was told to take time away, to get therapy, but he couldn't face the loneliness that brought back the haunted nights, he couldn't talk of his misery because no one would understand, no one should ever have to understand. Back then he was young, had dreams and aspirations, he was older now, wiser and unhappy, his one dream was to tear down the mafia that had broken him. What would happen to him then he didn't know, he hadn't really thought of it, a vacation seemed nice, maybe even find a nice woman to settle down with, not that he wanted to share his baggage, that wasn't anyone else's problem to deal with except his.

Anurag's home was archaic, walls made of stone and wooden floors, no central heating instead a burning fire flickered against the logs, burning them into ash and surrounding the home with heat, it was a symbolic process, sometimes to keep someone warm we had to burn ourselves, that was the cost of loyalty and the cost of love, it saddened him. Prerna could have been someone else, a woman who would never have to face the harsh hand of the law, but fate would have it differently. She was Rodriguez Santiano's wife and he had no sympathy for traitors of the state, she had chosen to align herself with him, so now she was the enemy, stood on the borderline, opposite him and his people and as the old saying went, if she wasn't stood with him then she was against him.

He had been told numerous times that he was too obsessed with the case, that it was dangerous and possibly life threatening if he even got close enough to make a difference. But none of those things would deter him, this case was his life's work and there was no way he'd give up on it so quickly, it didn't matter what the case would cost him, his life would never be normal and he wouldn't fool himself into thinking that one day he could be the man with a wife and kids who could settle down without ever looking back. No, this was all he had going for him, the many files littered around him was message enough that all he had to his life was this case, but it didn't matter, didn't even make him wish for better. Someone had to sacrifice, this time it was him and he was okay with that.

Sliding down the wall he downed his gin and tonic, the bottle of whiskey inches from his hand, he wasn't lonely, he didn't dream for more, but sometimes, sometimes he was scared, scared of who he had become, scared of what they had made him be. Scared that he would die without ever being able to love someone, it was easy to lie and say he wanted to be remembered as the man who took down the mafia boss, but at times like this when he was alone, he could be honest. He wanted someone to remember him, just one person who would know him as the man he once was, not the investigator, not the officer, not the man who'd do anything for a case, just Anurag Basu, the man who needed love more than he needed anything else.

~~~

Prerna slid down the wall of the shower, the water trickled over her body and steamed up the glass, she had tended to her wounds, now she just wanted time to be alone. Tears didn't roll down her cheeks like they used to, she didn't beg for help, or pray to a god she wasn't even sure even existed, she just sat, allowed the water to wash over her and wash away her pain, because when she was in here, she wasn't Prerna- the wife of a mob boss, she was just Prerna. The woman who wanted to make a change, the girl known for being bubbly and excited. In here she could be whoever she wanted to be and today she chose to be herself, not the shadow of who she once was, or the perfected Prerna, morphed into someone she didn't ever want to be, today she was Prerna, the one she was deep down, the one she had always been.

A part of her bled for help, she wanted nothing more than someone to save her, but this was real life and in real life, knights in shining armour didn't rescue the distressed princess. She wished often that she could share her problems, but what was the point? All that would mean is that more people would be in danger, more people would get hurt, she had learnt that lesson the hard way, lost innocent people because she couldn't keep her nightmare life to herself, she'd never forgive herself for that, but now she wouldn't endanger another soul.

It could be worse, some people had it worse. She was lucky enough to be able to go out, do things she wanted as long as he agreed to it, she even had a few acquaintances she'd speak with who would help pass the time. It could be worse she reminded herself, she dreaded to think of how worse.

"Prerna, hurry up" he was drunk again, slurring his words as usual, he'd pass out soon, then she'd join him, he was more dangerous when he was drunk and it was night time, she wasn't prepared to put herself through it, not tonight.

Prerna wondered what life would be like if she had met another man, one who was nice and kind, a man who knew what he wanted, a man who made her laugh and loved her, kept her safe and allowed her to be herself. It was a perilous dream to fantasize about, one that left her wanting even more for a better life that she would never have, but sometimes she didn't have the strength to shake herself from those hazardous thoughts, sometimes she didn't even want to. It was good to dream, even if it just made the reality that bit worse, at least in her head she had something else.

Maybe therapy would help, allow her to discuss her issues, resolve them, so that she could be a better wife, but that idea was foolish. Sure, she could change herself, but she couldn't change him, he wasn't always like this, she looked back on those days fondly, he was romantic and always made her laugh. Back then it was like winning the jackpot, she bragged about him to everyone, then one day he wasn't her prince charming anymore, one day he was someone else, fact was he had always been that man, she had just never spotted it and the times she did, she ignored it. The red flags were there, but like a bull, she was attracted to red and instead of running away she ran toward it, hoped to fix him and be the woman that could. But that was an old tale for people who wanted to remain oblivious, pity she chose to be oblivious too.

She forgave him, didn't she? After every bouquet of daisies, though she preferred roses, he didn't care and neither did she, after ever peck on the cheek, every tear and every half assed apology, she fell to her knees and became his prisoner once again, she had read somewhere about a prisoner falling in love with their chains, laughed at the stupidity of the sentence but now cried at the irony. Prerna was a prisoner, locked up in a 4 by 4 cell, clinging to cold, steel bars that at times felt like two warm muscular arms, pulling at chains around her wrists that often felt like fingers interlinked with hers and praying to Satan, because when you were desperate enough, horns looked like a halo.

Just to clarify, I do not in anyway think this is Prerna's fault, I'm just writing from her perspective, so please be mindful of that in future chapters, their thoughts are not necessarily mine. I hope you're enjoying this so far, I'm so eager to write because it's been so long but I'm also so nervous of getting it wrong!

Edited by -Rehanna- - 5 years ago
Rafangirl thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Just caught up with this story...
wow...interesting plot...
-Rehanna- thumbnail
Originally posted by: memad

Just caught up with this story...

wow...interesting plot...

Thank you darling! Im glad you liked it x
PrincessRitz29 thumbnail
Firstly,  I could never forget you.  Although you were offline but your writings were there.  Whenever I feel bored or sad,  I read your stories and trust me they are my remedy.  😊
I am so glad you updated,  don't worry you aren't going wrong anywhere.  The storyline is well composed and I am loving the characters'  personalities and how much they have in common. 

Amazing update!  😊👏👏 don't feel pressurised to update,  update whenever you feel like.  I understand how busy your schedule is and amazed by how you are managing everything. 

Love
-Rehanna- thumbnail
Originally posted by: PrincessRitz29

Firstly,  I could never forget you.  Although you were offline but your writings were there.  Whenever I feel bored or sad,  I read your stories and trust me they are my remedy.   😊

I am so glad you updated,  don't worry you aren't going wrong anywhere.  The storyline is well composed and I am loving the characters'  personalities and how much they have in common. 

Amazing update!  😊👏👏 don't feel pressurised to update,  update whenever you feel like.  I understand how busy your schedule is and amazed by how you are managing everything. 

Love

Aw! I'm such an emotional person, and just knowing that made me teary! I'm so happy my stories offered you some form of solace! 
Thank you, I was so nervous!
Aw thank you, I really like their similarities too! 

Thank you love, and thank you for being so understanding! 
I hate how busy my schedule is sometimes! 
Much love x
HARSHTA thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
My goodness!
What an intriguing storyline. You have drawn such beautiful and intricately designed characters.
Anurag/Parth as a cop- what a treat!
And Prerna/Erica as the mafia's wife- just amazing.
You have so well defined the term "opposites attract
Ah! So eager to read the next parts.
Do pm me whenever you decide to update.
Much love :)
-Rehanna- thumbnail
Originally posted by: HARSHTA

My goodness!
What an intriguing storyline. You have drawn such beautiful and intricately designed characters.
Anurag/Parth as a cop- what a treat!
And Prerna/Erica as the mafia's wife- just amazing.
You have so well defined the term "opposites attract
Ah! So eager to read the next parts.
Do pm me whenever you decide to update.
Much love :)

Aw thank you lovely! I'm so overjoyed that you enjoyed it! 
A treat indeed, he'd make such a great cop!
Thank youu! 
I definitely shall!
Much love x