Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Dev Patel slams desis who doesnt want him in anymore indian roles

Fluffyalexis thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago

Dev patel has hit out at suggestions that he is indulging in cultural appropriation' by playing Indian roles.

Dev Patel, who was born in Harrow of Gujarati parents, says he faces regular criticism for playing the parts of Indian characters in films - such as Hotel Mumbai, the forthcoming drama about the 2008 terror attack on the five-star Taj Mahal Palace Hotel.

Patel, who plays a Sikh waiter from a Mumbai slum who risks his life to protect hundreds of guests trapped inside the hotel, said: "I get flak because people will say, Why aren't they giving these roles to a real Indian?' I wonder, What does that even mean?

The 28-year-old added: "The only way I can converse with my grandparents is in Gujarati. Does that make me real enough? Or am I only allowed to witness the moments of prejudice and racism going through airports? Is that the only bit that I'm allowed of the culture?

Edited by Fluffyalexis - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
who says this for him ? Is really stupid if they do... what is real and non real Indians ??
ramita94 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Such rubbish he is Indian. As a brown person there's only so many backgrounds you can come from. Proud of this guy he comes from both of my schools.
Fluffyalexis thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: anjs

who says this for him ? Is really stupid if they do... what is real and non real Indians ??

If u ever see his latest film trailers check top comments.  Every other comments from desis is like how he isnt a 'real 'indian to portray all these roles. And other half of comments is about how his accent is fake etc
Umm you are STILL the go-to guy for those stereotypical desi roles in Hollywood anyway, so just stop whining!   Edited by TwinkleLights - 5 years ago
nigahen thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
He's so mediocre and has zero personality. Chappie had far more personality than him.

priya185 thumbnail
these days people bash for no reason
MoonOrchid thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
 From Slumdog to Lion, Dev has earned his 'stripes'. 
If he was given roles in BW  many would run scared of his talent and try put him  down - I guess the silly comments also  come from jealous stans  of sdome BW actors..that would want their fave in the roles he gets.
 Just cause  he is   not born in India doesn't make him any less  Indian. And he's normal. No drama  and  fake linkups and  all the  KJo  type  stuff created around him. 
HZAnita thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Ummm...how is he not a "real" Indian??  He is so talented.  He should just ignore the trolls and keep getting those roles! 
He's of Indian origin, not actually Indian. Guess that's what his critics are saying.