•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 5 years ago
I started watching Bhabiji Ghar Par Hai out of boredom. And quickly became a fan of the show. Its been a while since I've watched a good Hindi comedy show. There seems to be a dearth of them. While BGPH may not be the best comedy show ever, it does have a lot to recommend it. Most people would just watch the show for the laughs - it is, after all, the primary reason for the show. But there is more to it than meets the eye. And I will try to open some doors for you, and perhaps provide a different perspective of the show. 

So what is this Skein series all about? 

It will be a short series - touching upon some aspects of the show - like story and characters. Yes, I do love some good characters and BGPH is full of them. In this first post, I'll try to focus on the over all show.

On the face of it, it is an ensemble episodic show with arcs that carry over a week or two at the most. Its a story about two couples (Anita and Vibhuti Mishra, and Manmohan and Angoori Tiwar)  who happen to be neighbours that live across the street in Modern Colony, Kanpur. Along with them, Happy Singh, Mr. Saxena, Tillu, Malkan, Tika make up the regular cast. 

Appearing once in a while are Pelu, Commissioner, Ammaji and Daydu, Chachaji, Masterji, Laddoo, Gulfam and Prem make up the rest of the occasional cast. 

Then there is the  unseen cast - the Badtameez Admi, Happu's nau-nau-thaiya bachey aur pregnant biwi, Guptaji (Ammaji's neighbour), and the man below Ammaji's window whose head must be pretty bashed in by now. 

There is also the man on the street - the bearded guy who pops in every now and then with a line or two of dialogue. And a never-ending stream of dumb villains. 

This large cast allows the series makers to slip characters in and out, and also replace them when needed or keep them out for a long time if needed. It must be exhausting to do a show daily for days on end. Now that Happu has a spin-off, expect to see less of him on-screen in BGPH. Same with Anita Bhabi - with a new baby (did she already have it?) it will be difficult for her to continue to appear on every episode, as we see currently. But her character is in the title of the show - so something will change perhaps.

The stories are full of tropes, yet they never fail to surprise me. If you're a regular viewer of the show, you would think that you know how a particular story arc will end, but it never fails to surprise. There are always twists and turns. There is a freshness to the writing and the screenplay which is truly enjoyable. For example when I see Ammaji at the window, I KNOW something will fall, I just dont know what it will be.

What I like best is when there are two parallel tracks running in the show. One with the main characters - Anita, Vibhuti, etc. and another with the three stooges (Tika, Malkha and Tillu) along with a few of the other characters. They stories come together very subtly and if you are not thinking about it, you might miss it. Did I say it was a mindless series? Absolutely not. Its a series that shows flashes of brilliance in the writing - especially in some of the longer arcs. See if you can spot them. This takes the series from being just mindless entertainment to irony without taking away from the craziness.

The craziness of the show is another gem in the writers cap. 

One last thing I would like to touch upon. The casting director requires an award for the stellar job in finding this cast. Each and every actor is true to their characters, never failing to stick to them  in episode after episode. Every characteristic, every tag-line, every phrase is delivered in exactly the same way in every episode. And when the characters play different roles/genders - oh wow!! They just rock it. Especially Saxena, I love that actor. I think he's brilliant! 

I hope that by the time I finish this series - you're gonna say - Sahi pakde hain!
Edited by GirlOfFire - 5 years ago
Posted: 5 years ago
True I Never Miss An Episode.
It's My Favorite Sitcom.
Welcome To The Forum. I Wish This Is An Active Forum.