Posted: 5 years ago
Disclaimer: I love Kaira, don't like Keesh (like Shehzad though), healthy debate does not mean bash me or bash character - if you're going to get triggered, just don't read it. Also I write like forever, so patience is key. 
I've stalked this forum for a long time but I don't usually say much but I've recently seen a lot of posts recently that basically pose the question why Kaira? Why do people support them, especially in this track? Why not Keesh? Well I, as obnoxious as it may be of me, have decided that I have way too much free time and would love to answer this question a.k.a I have a lot of work and would rather spend my time analyzing a fictional couple I love on a post that will get zero to a bare minimum of replies cause damn this forum is kinda dead.

Here's my two cents about this track. I am biased, but not delusional enough to think that Kartik isn't wrong in this track. Because he is, largely so and he deserved a lot of what he got on Friday. But if you look at ITV and it's history of crap ML's whose entire existence is to torture a bechari FL for revenge or something and they practically get away with murder, it ain't that hard to understand Kartik whose intentions have been very clearly his wife's health. I'm scared of MOD's and fandom wars so I won't mention names *cough* Gul shows *cough* but ITV abusive males have been lapped up because of nothing but good looks. Kartik, not so much this year, has a history of being a pretty great husband so this, good intention wala mistake, doesn't come off so bad. Forget ITV look at Tv shows. Chuck sold Blair for a hotel, Ezra, a teacher, lied to Aria, a student, and dated her to write a book. These are celebrated couples. If you think about it, Kartik Goenka doesn't seem so bad anymore. But really, it's the sympathetic dialogues and most of all Mohsin's delivery of it that will never let any dedicated Kaira fan (that's me and also other fandom's as twitter has proved) hate Kartik, even if he is wrong this time. He pulls on heartstrings and when he breaks, you can't help but not hate him. People have forgiven ML's for much more, they'll forgive KG too. 

Speaking of acting, well that's really it; that and Chemistry. That is why it's Kaira and not Keesh. People forget, but this wasn't the original leap in YRKKH. They tried with Rohan too but that didn't work. There was an attempted transition there too, to make both Akshara-Naitik/Rohan-Tara, leads together it didn't work. But with Mohsin Shivangi it happened so naturally. Audience, TRP and Online, loved (still love obvi) them. This is where Keesh lack. I'm not talking about Shehzad here because he just entered, I like him after Bepannah but really he can't do anything. The quite inconsistent writing and somewhat bad portrayal by both the previous actors, has left him with a pretty hated character. Mohena, on the other hand, is unfortunately not quite there as an actresses. That's why, in an episode like Friday''s where it should have been her time to shine, the buzz is around Shivangi's breakdown in the last 5 minutes. It's not entirely her fault, because she hasn't been given the good arch or story to follow. 

But here's a slightly controversial opinion: The Kaira story line is not extraordinary by any means. In fact it's pretty common. Their love story is beautiful no doubt, but nothing that hasn't been seen. What sets it apart is Shivangi and Mohsin, their brilliant acting and their chemistry that is near perfect. They perform well excited/written tracks amazingly but they are also of a high enough caliber, to perform well in terribly executed/written tracks Emotional scenes, I've seen many great actors excel. But their charm is their subtlety. So why Kaira? Well here's my answer. It's not Kaira. At the end of the day, be it onscreen or offscreen it's Shivin that fans love, because they don't act Kaira, they embody it. 
Shivin  "Live" Kaira and that's what cause much difference...old fans of yrkkh claim that the show was never Naksh centric the way it is Kaira centric now...why supporting characters aren't strong?...well the reason is their portrayal...Kartik and Naira are also flawed but they portray so many complex emotions that a person is bound to feel their pain likewise happiness...supporting characters even when given a chance to outshine they didn't...Shivin have been natural performers that how they connect with viewers...
Like you said, healthy debate.

So I get that it's Shivin a large part of the audience likes, but there IS also an existent audience to this show that comes from a PRE Shivin times, and not to take away from Shivin's work but the show "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata hai had a VERY strong fan base from year 1. The show from my point of view, for years together had been faring rather great (also better than it ever has since the past two years) qt the trp game.

A show which was story eccentric has now become restricted to just a couple (who maybe the most popular of the current lot but the kind of fandom that the older yrkkh characters carry remains unbeaten).

So any kind of an excuse where the MLs of other shows have done worse seem legit sad because in all honesty the show I've grown up watching (not so willingly in the past few months especially) had been a show that was all about the real negativities of life. Real and subtle, because that is how it works even today. There once were tracks about an insecure mother (in-law) Gayatri and a new fitting daughter in-law Akshara, then the Nandini-Mohit lovestory and it's ups and downs, the Anshu tracks, Rashmi's divorce, Naira-Naksh growing up stages, Gopi dadi-Shankhri Tai (side characters) also had a story respectively and the best was Akshara-Varsha friendship. All these characters were flawed yet they were rather real.

For example: when bhabhi Maa blamed Akshara for the dadaji mishap, Naitik chose to leave with Akshara. Not out of mahaanta but out of love and support which legit any loving husband would have for his wife. Kartik on the other hand, after Shubham's death went the other way round. Shubham, a brother he so beautifully wronged. That was whitewashed, anyway.

Okay so now we say that what Kartik did was his flawed nature plus the undying love he has for Naira.

Can someone explain to me, how can he just have two moods? Guilt and romance. His guilt was also more Naira centric than Keerti who unfortunately happens to be her sister. Talking about other characters in other shows can give us satisfaction of continuity in liking the wrecked one we love but then justifying it makes it cheap (I mean justifying his actions only make them worse for viewers who don't watch the show for the precious Kaira).

Forget KeeSh, but what about the baby?

And is that what we're actually defending that it's okay to just be concerned about your wife (who is apparently very courageous when she interferes in almost every other person's matters. I mean honestly Keerti's previously lost a child due to Naira's foolishness and no I am not saying the stalker was her fault but really how can someone be that dumb-_-)

From a show that was about people it's become Kaira and how. Can very gladly say, leaving this show with this track proves of everything that I've just said.

P.S before Shivin fans attack, let me clear it out I've followed Shivangi for the longest time and she was a delight at Aayat. Mohsin is cool too. My problem is with the characters- Kaira.
Question to Kaira Fans- what were you expecting or rather wanted to see? Krish with Kaira?
I used to love this show when naitik and akshara were there. Reason being, they were not perfect, both had flaws, both of them misunderstood lot of things but admitted that mistake. But kaira are shown as perfect , mahaan, without any flaw. They poke their noses in everyone's business bcoz they think they are right. Naitik and akshara weren't like that. Instead of making characters as mahaan let them be humans, with flaws.
I am a Kaira fan and watch the show mainly for them. I just started watching from August, and did give Keesh a chance, however, after a while I just couldn't watch their scenes because of the lack of proper story line they were given and the robotic acting. 
Having said that, despite of my biasness towards Kaira, I still cannot bring myself to support him in this track. I firmly believe he deserved all the thrashing he got in Friday's and yesterday's episode. I would have understood and maybe supported him a bit had he told Keesh a day after Keerti had woken up, instead of waiting for 11 days. At that point, it seemed like had Keesh not found out, he would have never given the baby back, which is equivalent to stealing. 

Coming to your point about other male characters being worse than Kartik, I don't think that's a strong argument considering those heroes are introduced as anti--heros and then miraculously they have a change of heart. Their bad-boy nature is what attracts the audience to them. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but aren't Gul shows mainly watched and appreciated by the younger audience rather than the trp audience?  
Kartik, on the other hand, was always shown as this near to perfect guy. He has weakness, like his anger, compulsiveness, however, hes not evil like other male leads. This track literally portrayed him as a criminal, which was completely out of character for him. 

Despite of knowing all this, I still have a soft spot for Kartik, because of Mohsin's acting. You just can't hate him. I still feel sorry for everything he went through. 

I will give you an example. My mother watches almost all shows on star plus. My mother and sister were watching the show and asking me about it during the hospital week, however, the next week after the baby swap, they were like we can't bear to look at this show. Even the trp dropped that week. Not saying my family's opinion can be used to generalize the public's opinion, but they watch the show from a neutral pov unlike us fans. Similarly, right now she's liking Anurag's character and she say's how nice he is, which is the opinion the public had for Kartik before he swapped the babies. 

At this point, I am really curious to know how Kartik's character is redeemed by the cvs, because the despite everything, he did wrong everyone in the family and commit a crime. 

Originally posted by RapChick101

Like you said, healthy debate.

So I get that it's Shivin a large part of the audience likes, but there IS also an existent audience to this show that comes from a PRE Shivin times, and not to take away from Shivin's work but the show "Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata hai had a VERY strong fan base from year 1. The show from my point of view, for years together had been faring rather great (also better than it ever has since the past two years) qt the trp game.

@bold strong fan base on twitter or insta in year 2009? Ak-Nk were equally liked by youngsters and elderly people?
@red now the rating criteria has changed from previous times...its not taken from 10 but from 5 points...

A show which was story eccentric has now become restricted to just a couple (who maybe the most popular of the current lot but the kind of fandom that the older yrkkh characters carry remains unbeaten).

Fandom is counted based on social networking sites right or general viewers who watch their shows are also a part of fandom? Well they worked for 7 years to gain that huge fandom...apart from yrkkh...they worked in several other shows to gain that HUGE fandom..it surely is unbeaten but they didn't gain this huge fandom after 2-3 years it took time...

So any kind of an excuse where the MLs of other shows have done worse seem legit sad because in all honesty the show I've grown up watching (not so willingly in the past few months especially) had been a show that was all about the real negativities of life. Real and subtle, because that is how it works even today. There once were tracks about an insecure mother (in-law) Gayatri and a new fitting daughter in-law Akshara, then the Nandini-Mohit lovestory and it's ups and downs, the Anshu tracks, Rashmi's divorce, Naira-Naksh growing up stages, Gopi dadi-Shankhri Tai (side characters) also had a story respectively and the best was Akshara-Varsha friendship. All these characters were flawed yet they were rather real. 

That time viewers' choices were different...they instantly connect with characters...characters were consistent...they were written in a consistent way...with the kind of competition around and viewers preference towards reality shows they need new exciting twists to make the show run successfully...the characters are most inconsistent...during Ak's death track people saw MG framing an innocent (Kashyap) in accident case to save Kartik whereas recently MG doesn't want to see his face...Suwarna who was most caring docile DIL changed to vengeful vamp...they butcher characters based on convenience...

For example: when bhabhi Maa blamed Akshara for the dadaji mishap, Naitik chose to leave with Akshara. Not out of mahaanta but out of love and support which legit any loving husband would have for his wife. Kartik on the other hand, after Shubham's death went the other way round. Shubham, a brother he so beautifully wronged. That was whitewashed, anyway.

@bold How Kartik wronged Shubham? 😲

Okay so now we say that what Kartik did was his flawed nature plus the undying love he has for Naira.

Can someone explain to me, how can he just have two moods? Guilt and romance. His guilt was also more Naira centric than Keerti who unfortunately happens to be her sister. Talking about other characters in other shows can give us satisfaction of continuity in liking the wrecked one we love but then justifying it makes it cheap (I mean justifying his actions only make them worse for viewers who don't watch the show for the precious Kaira). 

@bold there was time when Suwarna (separated Kaira)  and Shubham's (he framed Kartik in fraud case) actions were also justified...no matter what people will always justify their favorite characters...and that can't be termed "cheap"...

Forget KeeSh, but what about the baby?

And is that what we're actually defending that it's okay to just be concerned about your wife (who is apparently very courageous when she interferes in almost every other person's matters. I mean honestly Keerti's previously lost a child due to Naira's foolishness and no I am not saying the stalker was her fault but really how can someone be that dumb-_-)

@bold maybe I watched a different show where Keerti repeatedly insisted Naira that she need to go with her...Shubham and Keerti are adults...they were not Naira's responsibility...

From a show that was about people it's become Kaira and how. Can very gladly say, leaving this show with this track proves of everything that I've just said.

P.S before Shivin fans attack, let me clear it out I've followed Shivangi for the longest time and she was a delight at Aayat. Mohsin is cool too. My problem is with the characters- Kaira.
Edited by CaptiveFreedom - 5 years ago
Originally posted by CaptiveFreedom

[/DIV][/DIV][/DIV]

Okay, here goes.

1. Fan base. Not social media fans but most people in various parts of the country shipped them. In fact when I went to Paris for a month recently ,a plethora of french women asked me about knowing certain characters of Indian television and Akshara was one of them. Cute it was! :')

2. Taken that the criteria has changed but the popularity remains untouched (which means it's been a show that's been watched in numbers earlier and as we talk today).

3. Present day scenario, fandom is BOTH, a mix of virtual and live. However, like you said in 2009 it was just about live. That being said, even today the live audiences play a bigger role than the virtual. Many shows that have a crazy virtual fan base shut down owing to a poor live fan base.

4. I don't quite agree about the preference part of it because when I started watching this I must've been a 10-11 year old and I don't remember wanting anything different at 20 either. But I do agree about butchering characters, which is exactly what I'm saying as well. But that doesn't justify anything now, does it?

5. He did let him down by not trying to understand his insecurities and going ahead and doing things (unintentionally ofc) which just increased them. And that's okay because I know he's not telepathic with him but in my perception it was something I as a viewer thought was rushed and then hushed like the usual.

6. In this case it does make it cheap. Because we can say she separated them but tbh if the bond is real strong between two individuals then it cannot be broken by a third party whosoever it may be so it was at that time Kartik's incapacity at looking at things with a clearer head.

7. True, you indeed did watch a different show because from where I see it the very fact that she wasn't mindful enough herself to have checked the source of the call knowing that a then pregnant woman is with her shows her lack of maturity at understanding that she's expected to be a responsible person. Also adding on, like how you said Keerti and Shubham (who I didn't say anything about wrt to this point) are adults then the same is applicable to Naira but when she was pregnant everyone and especially Kartik did take over her responsibility when she's an adult, like you said.

We can discuss (I did not say argue:p) endlessly over this because our school of thought is different over Kaira. To me, they will remain then immature and unbearably unfair (all cake to Kartik for this with the baby-swap which to me can never be white-washed) and to you, definitely opposite of what they seem to me so reaching a common ground is far from happening. But it's been interesting reading your POV :) Cheers.
Edited by RapChick101 - 5 years ago
Originally posted by RapChick101

True, you indeed did watch a different show because from where I see it the very fact that she wasn't mindful enough herself to have checked the source of the call knowing that a then pregnant woman is with her shows her lack of maturity at understanding that she's expected to be a responsible person. Also adding on, like how you said Keerti and Shubham (who I didn't say anything about wrt to this point) are adults then the same is applicable to Naira but when she was pregnant everyone and especially Kartik did take over her responsibility when she's an adult, like you said.

@bold Source? call was from her workplace...her dance academy...by someone she knows (Alokh)...that time culprit (stalker) was behind the bar...but police arrested wrong person...he was framed by stalker...she got to know that merely after entering dance academy...

We can discuss (I did not say argue:p) endlessly over this because our school of thought is different over Kaira. To me, they will remain then immature and unbearably unfair (all cake to Kartik for this with the baby-swap which to me can never be white-washed) and to you, definitely opposite of what they seem to me so reaching a common ground is far from happening. But it's been interesting reading your POV :) Cheers.

Let's agree to disagree...

Edited by CaptiveFreedom - 5 years ago
It's interesting to see how we all react so differently watching the same show. It's not that we have to agree all the time but we can agree to disagree.