Silsila Badalte Rishton Ka

Drashti Dhami Acting

SunshineFlames thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago
I wanted to make this post last week but was too busy with my exams. I know she has quit the show already but I really wanted to make this post as I had been thinking about it a lot. This is my opinion and there aren't really any right or wrong opinions. I am only talking about acting abilities here. I am not here to criticize Geet, Madhubala, or any show of DD for that matter. I am not a DD "hater" and didn't become one because of this show either. I had always been critical of her acting abilities and this show allowed the voices to be finally heard.

I am so glad this show gave neutral audiences a chance to voice their opinions. In shows where people are emotionally attached to the leads, they become too blind in their appreciation for a character and despise any criticism targeted towards the actor. When I used to watch DMG, I thought Drashti and Sunaina (Dr. Anjali) were the weakest actors. I loved the character of Muskaan and the jodi of Muskaan-Rahul but I could still see the weak points in her acting. While I have not watched Geet, I would see it on the TV all the time when my older sister would watch it. She was one of those die-hard Maneet shippers and if you said anything about their acting skills, she would start spouting "you don't know anything about good acting skills," "all of their emotions are perfect" etc. Hilariously, she had similar criticisms about actresses very much like Drashti but in the case of Drashti, her vision was blinded by her love for Geet/Maneet.

Most of Drashti's characters are this "bubbly, happy-go-lucky" girl where she is loud and cheerful. The acting never appealed to me as realistic but I made sure to keep my mouth shut as she was apparently the "Queen of Emotions." It made it wonder: "Hmm, if Drashti is such a perfect actress, then how come people didn't recognize her exceptional acting abilities in DMG? It's almost like she became the 'best actress' just because she played everyone's favorite character..."

The rest of the post is talking about the TV industry broadly:
In general, blind fans are one of the reasons there is a lack of talent in ITV; most female actresses of serials are not talented. What happens is: newcomers come, play a bechari bahu, and gain immense fan following for being a "mahaanta ki murat." People like them ONLY because they played that particular character and then later claim they are watching the show because of the actress. In reality, if anyone else had played that particular character, they would like the show just as much and would just have been a fan of that other artist! It's the show makes the artist, the artist doesn't make the show. Then they keep on landing other shows due to that "fan following" who will claim their idol is a perfect actress, just because the actress played their favorite character. You are not able to criticize the actress anymore due to the overly emotional fan bases and the voice of genuine critics get lost. Rarely are there serial actresses who are genuinely talented to gain a fan following because of their acting skills and not because of the characters they played: i.e. Tejasswi Prakash, Rashmi Desai, Rati Pandey, etc. 

In serials, guys don't get to play a "bechara damaad" who can get sympathy of the audience. Therefore, they have to put it effort and actually ACT in order to get a fan following. You will find that actors in tv serials are far more talented than their female  counterparts. Actresses get fans by playing a bechari bahu but actors have to be talented to stay relevant.

I yearn for the day when people will be able to differentiate between actors and characters. Only then will we see artists being cast on their acting abilities and not because they have played people's favorite characters before.

P.S. - I see many personal attacks on my post and can guess it is to get this thread shut down. Don't worry, if it gets shut down because of others breaking forum rules, I am just going to reopen the topic with the same talking points and continue my discussion there ðŸ˜›
Edited by SunshineFlames - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SiddJ thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I agree with your analysis.. there have been actors who have played a role learned acting improved and become popular..
Most of ekta shows had new faces(female) learning to act.. eventually becoming popular cos of there roles.. in most cases. 
What you said about male actors is 100% true.. look at Ronit, Ram kapoor.. karan kundra .. all are sustaining only cos they upped there acting skills..

No matter how much i love Rajeev khandelwal .. i still cannot say he's a good actor.. i don't think he's done any memorable role other than Sujal...
Priya_18 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Lovely analysis but about the males, I'd like to disagree there.

Definitely there are shows, where you see male leads doing an awesome job, just like the one in my signature lol. But I have a very strong example, who just got popular for a role he did, he's handsome alright but clearly can't act. And he gets all the credits for his current show too when all he does is do some action and act like he's crying. I'll get hate if I mention his name, just that he's been paired with DD before. So I'm saying ki males also could just play a positive role, be handsome, fair and build a fandom on that..
Redmi thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: Mumoos

I agree with your analysis.. there have been actors who have played a role learned acting improved and become popular..

Most of ekta shows had new faces(female) learning to act.. eventually becoming popular cos of there roles.. in most cases. 
What you said about male actors is 100% true.. look at Ronit, Ram kapoor.. karan kundra .. all are sustaining only cos they upped there acting skills..

No matter how much i love Rajeev khandelwal .. i still cannot say he's a good actor.. i don't think he's done any memorable role other than Sujal...

Rajeev Khandelwal is indeed a good actor but looks aged. Didn't watch his Sujal but watched his movies Shaitaan, Table No. 21 and the recent Haq Se. 
SunshineFlames thumbnail

I have to agree with you there. I loved Sujal as a character but never found him to be this "exceptional actor." He was the original passionate, crazy-in-love, hero after whom the modern day heroes are modeled. He got popular because of a character everyone loved and therefore got labeled as "one of the best actors." Most of his performances have been mediocre but I think he did a terrific job in Haq Se. You can really see the improvement in his acting abilities, something I can't really say about many serial actresses.
Edited by SunshineFlames - 5 years ago
Quantum-Dot thumbnail
M not a drashti fan.never saw her serials before silsila.after starting it,I started watching geet on hotstar ND till now finished up to ep 216.i am loving her as geet ND I can say that she is one of the finest actresses on TV.geet was the most beautiful character for me ever on TV.the serial was one of the best serials ever.nd I think for this she got so much popularity.while watching geet I just told my sis that this is how a serial should be made.not everyone is happy seeing saas bahu drama like me.she played the role of a girl not some ideal bahu.thats why girls can relate to her.
Playing emo roles doesn't make ur acting skills great but bubbly yet strong characters do.
M haappy that I started watching silsila because fr that I started watching geet online ND drashti dhami made me her fan.
M very critical about acting skills.nd I find drashti absolutely perfect in a ting department.nd the people who are comparing her with Erica (sorry I lyk her too)but don't lyk her acting skills .nd acc to u if Aditi is so perfect of an actress why isn't she so much popular ,ND why didn't we knew about her acting skills.she is many years in this industry still didn't get her foot in it.this role of a abused wife wouldn't give her NA.this role if played by a new comer too she would have excel led.bec there is nothing challenging in it.anyone can play it.ihave watched her acting in film mausam ND I can say that was the worst film I have watched in my entire life.
Edited by Feynmann - 5 years ago
SiddJ thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: SunshineFlames

I have to agree with you there. I loved Sujal as a character but never found him to be this "exceptional actor." He was the original passionate, crazy-in-love, hero after whom the modern day heroes are modeled. He got popular because of a character everyone loved and therefore got labeled as "one of the best actors." Most of his performances have been mediocre but I think he did a terrific job in Haq Se. You can really see the improvement in his acting abilities, something I can't really say about many serial actresses.

In movies he might have done well..
But Haq se.. was ok ok only.. where he falls for the girl speaks to interns all those scenes look forced.. 

SiddJ thumbnail
[QUOTE=Priya_18]Lovely analysis but about the males, I'd like to disagree there.

Definitely there are shows, where you see male leads doing an awesome job, just like the one in my signature lol. But I have a very strong example, who just got popular for a role he did, he's handsome alright but clearly can't act. And he gets all the credits for his current show too when all he does is do some action and act like he's crying. I'll get hate if I mention his name, just that he's been paired with DD before. So I'm saying ki males also could just play a positive role, be handsome, fair and build a fandom on that..
[/QUOTE

When Anurag made his entry..this time.. 
For me it was Tune maari entriyaan dil mein baji gantiyaan..
now a days when he's on screen i behave like a teenager.. refusing to budge..😆
Coming from a person whose first  crush was the previous anurag from kasauti 1.. 
Edited by Mumoos - 5 years ago
Fairy_KimBokJoo thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
You're gonna get pushback from people over this, but this is absolute 100% truth! Majority of Indian viewers are so habituated to watching inferior content and inferior talent that there is no clear perception of talent anymore! If an actress/actor plays a character they like in a show they enjoy (almost always some terrible romantic show) then they're regarded as the best actors ever! Then their fans establish how their fave "is a queen" or whatever ad nauseam while others fall in line! ðŸ˜† Remember, most of these are not even good or diverse characters that deserve to be praised regardless of the acting!

The truth is Indian tv industry is riddled with immense mediocrity, mediocrity of content, of talent, of innovation! Not that Bollywood is any better but Indian TV is even worse! And as you said, blind fans are just as bad the TRP viewers...They simply see every form of criticism as something horrifying! If your talent, your content cannot handle criticism, then they aren't worth anything after all! I am always amazed by our blind obsession to defend all sorts of mediocrity! 
SunshineFlames thumbnail

In movies he might have done well..
But Haq se.. was ok ok only.. where he falls for the girl speaks to interns all those scenes look forced.. 

Him falling for girls in all his shows look super awkward ðŸ˜† In Haq Se, I liked his portrayal of a emotionally vulnerable man but yeah, I  agree the romantic expressions looked forced. I think the worst one was in Left Right Left where he was falling for Naina and it didn't look believable at all ðŸ˜•