Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Rehanna- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago

*Note* This story is in the process of being rewritten, currently only the Prologue has been rewritten, but the rest will soon be done. In order to understand the story, you must read again from the start. I apologise profusely for any inconvenience this causes, but this story and the characters deserved better. 

Prerna and Anurag are worlds apart but a chance encounter in a lift leaves them drawn to eachother like a moth to a flame. Now she's working for him, bumping into him everyday and brightening his usually dark days, it won't be long before sparks fly but often when sparks fly, someone gets burnt. 

Can Anurag and Prerna make it through the everyday office stresses to find something worth getting burnt for? 

Prolouge ~ Below

Part One~ Page 2

Part Two~ Page 4

Part Three~ Page 6

Part Four~ Page 7

Part Five~ Page 8

Part Six~ Page 10

Part Seven~Page 11

Part Eight~ Page 12

Part Nine~ Page 12

Part Ten~ Page 13

Part Eleven~ Page 13

Part Twelve~ Page 13

Part Thirteen~ Page 14

Edited by -Rehanna- - 4 years ago
-Rehanna- thumbnail

The below and chapters after have been rewritten, thus meaning that minor and major changes have been made, the previous prologue was 825 words, the current is 2407.

If you do not read from the start you won't understand the story, there will be similarities, but also differences, but I promise this version is better. I look forward to hearing your views. 

~Rhea

Prologue~

“Aaj, aaj ek hasi aur baant lo, aaj ek dua aur maang lo, aj ek ansoon aur pe lo, aaj ek zindagi aur je lo, aaj ek sapna aur dekh lo, aaj, kya pata, kal ho na ho”.

A small woman clenched her fingers around the arm of the sofa, a quiet sniffle the only other sound in the room as her chocolate orbs watered. Now, it probably wasn’t the best idea to take life advice from a character in a film, but Sharukh Khan delivered dialogues that stabbed you straight in the heart and try as she might, she couldn’t just skip over the importance of his words. Life was short and tomorrow was never promised for anyone, so it was important to live each day like it was your last, laugh, pray, cry, live, dream, just be undeniably you.

“You are such a wet wipe” at the ripe age of seventeen his insults really hadn’t hit puberty and grown into something better like he had.

“Aman” she paused, sighing at the immense amount of brain strength it took to converse with her younger brother- and yes, before you ask he had been named after Sharukh Khan’s character in Kal Ho Na Ho, if you’re a fan, you fangirl properly and her mother was the ultimate fangirl.

“Prerna” he mimicked, throwing himself onto the sofa beside her.

If she rolled her eyes back any more she worried her eyes would get stuck, but that’s just how life was when you lived with an irritable version of the male species, that and walking into world war three every time she stepped one toe into his bedroom. “I have an interview in an hour, you gonna be alright?”

He gasped loudly, hands smacking onto his cheeks and tugging his face down so he looked like a goldfish “An hour? How will I ever survive?”

Her eyes narrowed “I was wondering the exact same thing” she shoved at his shoulder and jumped up. “That’s why I called Anjali round” she awaited the very over-exaggerated moan of disapproval.

“Prernaaa, why Anjali? I’m seventeen, I can handle being alone for a few hours”. Alright, so maybe the last three times he’d been left alone, either he’d burnt the kitchen ceiling, used his chemical kit to make an explosion that looked really cool but made the apartment smell like rotten eggs for weeks or accidentally turned the freezer off so all the food defrosted, but he was nearly an adult and this went against all his rights. He was a second away from fluttering his eyelashes and telling her how beautiful she looked when she spun on her heel and gave him a death stare.

“Aman, I don’t want to hear it” Prerna raised her hand to halt another one of his devious explanations. “Anjali is looking after you, when you act like an adult, I will trust you like an adult”.

Aman guffawed, arms crossed over his chest “But you don’t act like an adult”.

Her brow raised “Aman, we will settle this later the proper way”.

“With a mature discussion?” Anjali tightened her hair in the hairband, then placed her car keys on the table “Door was open, so I let myself in”.

“Hey” Prerna wrapped an arm around her, lips kissing her cheek. “Thanks for doing this, I really appreciate the help” she waved, then eyed her brother, “Be good for Anjali, we’ll sort our disputes out later, just get the water guns ready for when I’m home” winking, she ruffled his hair, grabbed her stuff then raced towards the train station.

+ + +

Upon arriving outside the building, Prerna was sure death was on its way- her hair was drenched and by the small amount of her reflection she could make out in the stony grey windows, mascara had made a trail down her cheeks, in simple terms she looked like one of those women from those romanticised depression Tumblr posts. “Basu Industrials” she whispered, eyes running over the words that seemed brighter than the building, but still very daunting, it was a very real possibility that she’d been watching far too many Final Destination films, but she was sure those letters were about to fall down and crush her skull, shuddering at the thought, she headed inside, ran her sleeves over her cheeks and hoped that looks did not count in this interview, because the job specification didn’t ask for you to dress up in your best Halloween outfit and no one ever won any brownie points for standing out.

Cringing at the way her damp feet squelched against the royal blue carpets that led towards the lifts, she almost screamed when she came face to face with her own face, she looked hideous and not in the girlish ‘oh, I look so ugly’ way that many people usually did, she really did look like a nightmare and the likelihood of her interviewee having a heart attack was becoming even more likely with each splish, splash, splosh. Hoping to make a very quick escape, she ducked her head and ran like nobody’s business to the sliding doors.

But of course, she had been caught, Prerna had never been made for a life of crime. “Excuse me, you can’t just go in there without a pass” a very squeaky voice yelled.

When she finally turned around, she realised the amount of blush the receptionist wore did her no favours, she looked and sounded like a trampled barbie doll, well at least she wouldn’t stick out like a sore thumb, it seemed all staff liked to play dress up, the women were all barbie dolls, the men were all Kens and she was the grudge. “My name is Prerna, I’m here for the second part of my interview” tapping her feet as she waited, she pulled a face when water splashed upwards onto the woman’s face as she held out the pass “Ooh, free shower, can’t turn that down” before she could make any more blunders, she hurried into the lift and hoped the doors would close quickly.

But, no. Instead, a hand slipped between the sliding doors and in stepped a real-life adonis and lord was he BUILT! He wore a suede blazer that clenched around his biceps whenever he turned a page in his file, he was yet to look her way- thankfully- so she couldn’t see his eyes, but his jaw was razor-sharp and the stubble on his cheeks accentuated his handsomeness.

Deciding not to openly make googly eyes at him and face getting arrested for being a pervert, Prerna focused on the white marble walls and wrapped her fingers around the golden handrail that sat just below the buttons. “Eek,” she squealed when he stepped before her and placed his fingers over a button.

The man stood taller, a quizzical expression on his face and his brow raised, then he flinched “That an uh new trend?” He circled his own face with his index finger.

Liars never got anywhere had been a life lesson she taught her younger brother, but certain circumstances required lies, this wasn’t one of them, but she was going to lie either way. “Yes, you’d think being a member of staff in this posh building that you’d know that” she spoke in a very British voice, nose pointed upwards and her posture stiff. She had no real idea what her aim was by trying to personify the Queen, but hey, what was done was done.

Turning his head to the side, he ran a hand down his face, opened his mouth to speak, then decided against it. Woman was clearly crazy, he couldn’t risk ruining his reputation by associating with her.

“Ohh, I’ve offended you” she smacked her head, “Of course you don’t work here, you’re here for an interview too, right?” She spoke far too quickly for him to even have time to respond. “I mean, I doubt the big boss would allow you to wear those horrid things” she gestured to his yellow shoes, that’s right, yellow.

“Did you just” he pinched the brim of his nose, exhaled, then looked back at her, “Did you just insult my choice of shoes?”

“Yes” Prerna nodded resolutely, “Sorry, are you hard of hearing? Shall I shout, LIKE THIS?”

“Did you just ask me if I’m deaf?” He couldn’t believe the cheek of this woman, did she not know when to shut up?

“YES, THAT’S RIGHT” she put two thumbs up and grinned widely.

Her smile was maniacal, he stepped back, a little frightened for his own safety “You don’t have to shout, I can hear you” he went to press the button for the floor again, hoping to escape before she would talk again, but the lift jolted, shaking so the two bashed into each other and the only way to prevent a serious injury was for him to pull her flush against him so she wouldn’t lose balance.

“You broke the lift” she shoved her heel onto his toe so he would release her.

“Ouch” he grit his teeth, “What was that for? I was helping you stand up”.

“Oh no” she shook her head, “I know your type” in one quick movement, she pulled her hairspray from her bag and sprayed it in his direction until he was spluttering and covering his eyes.

“Are you crazy?” He growled, rubbing his eyes fervently and hissing all at once.

“I find that a very insulting insinuation” she crossed her arms, “You thought you could trap us in here and have your way with me, I’m no fool”.

“You sure about that?” He spat, angrily.

“Don’t be sarcastic, it doesn’t suit you, creep”. Prerna faced the camera pointing toward them “They have it all on video, so you can say goodbye to the job, there’s no way you’ll get it, but I will” her smile was full of glee, only she knew just how badly she needed this job.

“Confident, aren’t you? Who says after you attacking me that you’ll even get the job?” He rested against the wall, blinking through the blurry vision as he did.

“Of course I’ll get it” she span back to face him, hair whipping his cheek in the process “That was self-defence, thank you very much” she crossed her arms “I’m sure the boss will have a lot to say about this”.

“Oh,” he nodded, smirking as if he knew something she didn’t, “I’m sure he will”.

“Although, you’d think for a high-class businessman that he’d at least ensure he had top of the facility elevator machinery” Prerna shrugged.

Pursing his lips, he nodded his head from side to side “I’m sure he’d love to hear your thoughts on his poor machinery” this woman was absolutely terrifying, it was best to go along with her craziness rather than face another insult or injury.

Suddenly soft piano music began to swim through the elevator, then a robotic voice spoke: “We are sorry for your inconvenience, help will be with you shortly”.

“Aw, thanks, robotic barbie” she pointed upwards, “Nice, isn’t she?”

He was honestly speechless, unable to answer, he looked back at his file only to drop it when a heavy liquid bounced onto it. His eyes darkened, jaw straining “Do you understand what you’ve just done?”

Chewing her wrap loudly, she tried to swallow quickly, gulping harshly when he stepped over her bag and pinned her to the wall.

“That file was for a business meeting later, the only copy I have” he spoke through gritted teeth, “Now it’s ruined”.

“I’d consider investing in a photocopier, bhai saab, I’m sure there’s one around here, not really my fault if you only have one copy of something important, although, I get it, afterall I am the only copy of the most important person in the world” her smile widened, “Me”.

“Do not hit women, do not hit women” he spoke under his breath, repeating it like a mantra. “Not only have you injured my foot and my eyes, you’ve abused my personality by accusing me of trying to molest you, called me deaf, spoke ill of my very expensive shoes, stained an important file and yet somehow in all of this you’ve found a way to blame me for all of it”.

“Yeah?” Prerna gazed up at him, doe brown eyes widened when he growled, “What’s your point?”

Smacking his hand against the wall, he turned his back on her and shoved his shaking hands through his hair, he needed to get out of here before he ended up in prison for a  murder he would not feel guilty for.

“Ah, having a mental breakdown? I have loads of those”.

He wasn’t surprised.

“That’s for grabbing me, now we’re all fair and circle”.

“Fair and, what? Don’t you mean fair and square?” Alright, just a few minutes then he was out of here, he could stay calm, he’d made a whole business out of staying calm.

Her brow furrowed "No, that doesn't even make sense” noticing the way his eyes glued to hers, she scrunched her nose up, “You know it’s rude to stare, right?”

“You know it’s rude to waste food on people and attack them, right?” He retorted, this whole experience had made his hair grey, he was sure of it.

"Maybe it's like good luck?” She soothed, “I once heard that if a bird does its business on you, that it is good luck and the food on your file and shirt” seeing the way he quickly looked down, she realised she probably shouldn’t have pointed that out, but, oh well, “Anyway, what I’m saying is you should be thanking me for the good luck, those stains could easily be misconstrued for bird crap”.

There was a mechanical whirring sound before the lift began to move again, eventually reaching the top floor, the doors opened slowly showing a lavish area.

Before stepping out, he turned to her "I didn't quite catch your name"

"Prerna, yours?"

"Anurag, Anurag Basu, but you can call me Sir" he straightened his clothes, “You’re late to your interview and I despise people who are late” then he disappeared as if he’d never been there in the first place.

Her jaw dropped as the doors slid to shut once again, too frozen in time to stop them, she slunk back against the bar and held her chest.

Edited by -Rehanna- - 4 years ago
BlueJayFire thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Wow, what a powerful prologue...keep writing..
Zaya.hp thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
It's brilliant! And I am not even exaggerating. It's truly, truly brilliant. Fast paced and very intriguing. Also Prerna seems so so much fun! I love her already. Waiting to see the story of her and 'her boss' unfold 
-Rehanna- thumbnail
Originally posted by: BlueJayFire

Wow, what a powerful prologue...keep writing..

Aw thank you so much! I will update soon:)
-Rehanna- thumbnail
Originally posted by: Zaya.hp

It's brilliant! And I am not even exaggerating. It's truly, truly brilliant. Fast paced and very intriguing. Also Prerna seems so so much fun! I love her already. Waiting to see the story of her and 'her boss' unfold 

Aw! Thank you so much lovely! Haha yes she will certainly be one to remember ! 
Mannmohanaa thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
This was awesome!!!
The sort of imagery you've done with the colours is not only fun but so vivid and brilliant!

Loved it all. The nokjhok and the last smart part.

Prerna is so much fun and Anurag is just perfect.
Loved the way you've written her.😆

Fair and circle 🤣
And her non-stop bakbak

Continue Soon!!!😳
-Rehanna- thumbnail
Originally posted by: Mishti_Dahi

This was awesome!!!

The sort of imagery you've done with the colours is not only fun but so vivid and brilliant!

Loved it all. The nokjhok and the last smart part.

Prerna is so much fun and Anurag is just perfect.
Loved the way you've written her. 😆

Fair and circle 🤣
And her non-stop bakbak

Continue Soon!!!😳

Aw thank you lovely!
Ah thanks , I appreciate it, I always like to read something that can help me imagine the area so imagery is my fav! 

Haha thank you! Prerna will sure be one to remember, I will do:)
.FlyingClouds. thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Wow...
This was wonderful!!
Am eagerly waiting for you to continue this story...
But just a little suggestion. Can you please add AnuPre SS or FF to the title, so tnat others know tnat its a creative piece??
-Rehanna- thumbnail
Originally posted by: .FlyingClouds.

Wow...
This was wonderful!!
Am eagerly waiting for you to continue this story...
But just a little suggestion. Can you please add AnuPre SS or FF to the title, so tnat others know tnat its a creative piece??

Aw thank you love! 
I am writing the next part as we speak:)
Thanks again, ive just edited it:)