Ishqbaaaz

ISHQBAAZ REDUX FF - MOVING FORWARD....... EK NAYEE SOCH PART II / PAGE

akhilash thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 5 years ago
The Tej murder and its aftermath created a lot of angst and a germ of an idea to pen this FF was my mother's vehement opposition to the O'Bros reunion that many in the fandom are clamoring for. Enjoy Part 1 as I bring you the culmination in a few week's time

3.00 a.m.

Oberoi Mansion, Mumbai.

Sleep eluded her. The wheels of her mind were spinning away. Shivaay had fallen asleep on her lap after reliving one of his nightmares. The day had turned out to be disaster as she recounted the incidents. She had convinced Shivaay to return to the mansion against his wishes. The Griha Shanti Puja turned out to be an Ashanti debacle. Something broke in Anika when none of his brothers offered aid to Shivaay during his coughing fit. Her mad spree to the kitchen was truncated physically by Om who refused to let her get to the kitchen to get some water. Her dabbang Guari, decided to become an onlooker and it just took one word of warning from Om. Bhavya, the eyes of law, too decided to join the ranks of spectator. The matriarch of the house, Dadi, maintained her stony stoic disposition, while the idols looked more human. The daughter of the house, Priyanka, watched it all as though, it was all soap opera on screen. Thank goodness to Khanna's timely intervention, with a flask of water, the coughing bout was brought to a stop. With Khanna's assistance, she was able to get Shivaay to the room. The attending physician's assessment had worried Anika. He had indicated that Shivaay's mental state was vulnerable more than physical. A change of scene & pace was mandatory. How was she going to do it? Figuring it all out was going to be an ominous task, but the task at hand for execution was a few hours away in her hometown, Amrainagar in Karjat.

Three months ago, her best friend, Susheela, had engaged Anika's services as a wedding planner for her sister-in-law (husband's sister), Venilla's forthcoming nuptials. Venilla, a recent Comp Science graduate from Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania, was to tie the knot with her beau, Vikram, who was on a Doctoral Scholarship at Cornell. The project was not huge, but retainership would sustain her for a month at least. After all this would be her first assignment as a wedding planner for Tamil Brahmin Wedding. Her thought process was interrupted by the incessant peeling of her cell phone, and that brought Shivaay up from his slumber. She received a blank & disoriented look from him as she picked up her phone to identify the caller.  

Anika: Haan Khanna Bhaiyaa. Haan main taiyyar hoker nikal rahi hoon. Haan inko bhi saath mein lekar aaoongi. Kareeb gyarah baje tak pahunch jaoongi. Haan aur teen din tak, wahin apne ghar rahoongi (Yes, Khanna Bhaiyya... Yes, yes I am leaving for the venue in a short while, & yes I am getting him along with me. I should reach there by 11.00 a.m. That is right, I will be there at my house the next three days)

It was well past 6.30 a.m. The sun was up and since the Oberoi kitchen was now out of bounds, she decided to get on with the work on hand leave for the wedding venue. She walked to the dresser & pulled out the clothes for both. Anika laid out the blue bordered, rich orange silk cotton saree, that had been a gift from Sheela's mom for Sheela's wedding four years ago (that she, Anika, had not attended). For Shivaay she brought out his plain white Pajama Kurta. She bagged all his medicines & a bottle of water in her large handbag, checked for her house keys. An opened pack of Parle-G biscuits lay at the bottom of the bag. She bagged three pairs of salwar kameez (that were bought with Shivaay's salary earned at the prison), undergarments, a comb, toothbrushes, paste & hair oil along with Shivaay's clothes.  She texted both the bride & her friend, Sheela about her ETA.

She could hear the water run in the bathroom. 5 more minutes, if he did not come out, she was going to barge in. But she did not have to exercise her thought process, Shivaay walked out wearing another oversized checked shirt. He was in the process of buttoning his shirt, she walked up to him

Anika: Aap mere saath chal rahen hain, yeh pehen lijiye please. Main paanch minute mein taiyyar hokar aati hoon. (You are coming with me, so please wear this? & Give me five minutes to get ready)

The journey to the wedding venue, Ambika Hall, took about 3 hours from the Oberoi Mansion starting with a 30-minute autorickshaw ride to CST Railway Terminus, then a rail journey for an hour and twenty minutes (By Koyna Express) and then another 20-minute ride by auto.

Not much had changed in her neighborhood in the last five years she had noted. Some of the single level dwellings now proudly boasted of a second floor and a lot of the homes had at least one motorized two-wheeler parked in front of their houses. As they walked to her old house, close to the wedding venue, she was met by Sheela's dad, who was running an errand on his motorized bike.  A quick phone call by uncle and Sheela was running out of her house with her infant, Akshay, on her hip to greet her friend.

Anika told her friend that she would be back with the clay pot of filled with sprouted nine grains for Vratham (palika ceremony). Anika had prepared the pot at OM the previous  day before going to collect Shivaay from the prison. Raw rice was ground for Maa Kolam (Rangoli).  Later that evening, she had asked Khanna to house the pot & the ground rice batter in her old house.

Vritham, a ritual that happens the day before the wedding and as the name suggests is a fast observed by the bride & grooms' family for the prosperity of the couple & their wedded life from departed souls. Charadu' A Sacred yellow thread is tied on the wrists of the bride and groom and they are not permitted to leave the marriage venue. (Vratham is a symbolic ritual where the clay pot is the house, the grains are the bride & the groom and the sprouts indicate prosperity in the family. Traditional folks songs are sung during the rituals. The day after the wedding the pot contents are submerged in the pond/river where the marine life can help themselves to the grains.)

Khanna Bhaiyaa appeared magically,

Khanna: Sir aap mere saath chaliye mere ghar. Please Sir, paas mein hoon main. (Sir, please accompany me, my house is close by.)

Shivaay: Nahi main kahin nahi jaoonga, kahin nahin jana main. (No, no, I am not going anywhere. Don't make me go)

Shivaay opted to stay out of everyone's way despite urgings from Sheela's family and Anika let him have his way with the proviso that Khanna be with him all the time. And Khanna Bhaiyya would not leave his Shivaay Sir either.

Anika left the men to walk across the street 500 yards to Sheela's house along with the clay pot of sprouted grains & ground rice batter. Anika along with Sheela and her husband, Ram, Ram's older brother Shyam & his wife, Maya, Sheela's brother Sundar & Ishwar listed out the things to do and started towards Ambika Hall to take care of the 1st ritual Pandha Kaal Muhurtham. All the elders, Sheela's parents & in-laws, Sheela's grandmother Patti, Sheela's husband's 4 maternal uncles, 2 aunts & 2 uncles & 2 aunts from the father's side arrived at the venue. Anika had ensured that 4 large banana trees, door toranam & mango leaves had been delivered early in the morning at the wedding venue. The caretaker, T. Kalyanasundaram, had texted her the receipt at 8.00 a.m. This is one of the oldest rituals of Tamilian wedding and is followed by almost all the Tamil families. The elders blessed the bride and her groom and seek the blessings of the almighty for a hassle-free wedding.

Anika, Sheela, Ram, Maya, Shyam, Sundar & Ishwar started off erecting the banana trees. They were secured to the large gates at the entrance. The arched entrance of the marriage hall was decked with traditional marigold, cream mums & mango leave toranam. And after that Anika brought out rice batter to draw an elaborate pattern in the courtyard. 30 minutes later, Sheela was drawing the outlines with Kaavi (red oxide) around the kolam (Rangoli) design as finishing touch. Since all were fasting, Anika had ensured that tender coconut juice, buttermilk and an assortment of fruits were brought in to keep hunger at bay.

Anika checked all the 30 rooms that would house the groom & brides' immediate family & extended family  in the marriage hall during the 3-day event were clean. She made sure that the enough bedrolls, pillows, clean bedsheets & blankets were provided. Air-conditioning units in the room and the wedding venue were found in working order. It was already 3.00 pm, the grooms party would start to arrive.

For Jaanvasam & Nishchayathartham, a small pre-wedding function happens on the wedding day, where in the bride offers prayers to the lord in presence of the priest. Here in the groom's family gifts the bride with her wedding trousseaus that includes sarees, flowers, make-up essentials. Venilla's to be mother-in-law had coordinated with Anika & the package was now housed at Sheela's house. During this event the receiving of the groom also takes place. Even though the groom is welcomed the previous day itself, another round of welcome happens on the wedding day. Therefore, plates filled with nuts, fruits, sweets & clothes had been prepared. The welcoming thaali (plate) containing Kumkum, haldi, rice, diya had been ready ( equivalent of the Tilak ceremony that happens during North Indian weddings).

For the Kashi Yatra, Anika had made sure that a huge black umbrella & a walking stick was kept in the custody of the caretaker, Kalayansundaram. (Kashi Yatra happens on the day of the wedding. The groom pretends to leave for Kashi to become a Sanyasi. A mock pilgrimage embarked by the groom is averted by the bride's father and family and then the groom is led back into the marriage hall.

The end of Kashi Yatra meant the Oonjal (Swing/Jhoola) ceremony, where in the groom & the bride garland each other and are asked to sit on the swing. Sheela & Maya and ladies from bride's family had prepared traditional folk songs. The function is basically to ease their tension and make each other comfortable in the other's company. The swing was being decorated with marigold & vadamalli (Globe Amaranth/Gomphrena Globosa), flowers that would not wilt and would remain fresh for over three days.

A large plastic tub had been bought and spray-painted silver for the Kanyadaan ritual. The groom's feet are washed & then the bride's mother applies kajal to the groom to ward off evil eyes. However, Vikram had been adamant about not getting his feet washed and therefore, Venilla's father was going to pour water on Vikram's feet while he sat with his feet submerged in the silver painted tub. Vikram had agreed to a kajal dot at the back of his ear but no kajal was to be applied to his eyes. At this time, the bride receives the nine-yard saree (Madisaar) from the grooms' family. The bride changes into this nine-yard saree for muhurtham/kanyadaan. The groom is given his veshti/dhoti & angavastram from the bride's side. Amidst the changing of mantras (Vedic chants), and the sacred fire, the bride is seated on her father's lap for Kanyadaan. The groom and bride together hold a coconut that has been dyed yellow (turmeric) while the bride's mother pours holy water on the coconut. Anika had the grooms clothing items and the coconut that were in Sheela's custody.

Anika had nothing to prepare for Mangalyadharanam tying of the sacred taali/mangalsutra. The puja had to be performed by the groom and then the sacred thread is placed around the bride's neck. The first knot is tied by the husband and then by his sister/s tie the other two (total of three knots).

For the Saptapadi (seven steps around the sacred fire)/wedding vows. The bride's sari pallu is tied with the groom's angavastram. The couple hold hands and go around the fire seven times vowing to commit to their relationship with all the gods, ancestors, family, relatives and friends as witness to the union. The groom then places the bride's foot on a grinding stone and slips on silver rings on the brides' toes. The couple then view the pole star/Dhruva nakshatra, a symbol of permanence and Arundhati Nakshatra, a symbol of purity & virtue.

The Saptapadi is followed by Lahya Hom, where in the bride makes an offering of puffed rice to the fire god. The rice is handed to the bride by her brother. This would be followed by the Sesha hom for a healthy offspring. A sacred thread used to be tied around the bride's hip by the groom as a pre-wedding ritual, but now is a part of the wedding ceremony.

Grihavpravesham: The bride is taken to her new home (groom's house) where she is welcomed with new clothes and is asked to light the lamp in the puja room. If the groom is from out of town, the ceremony is performed at the wedding venue itself.

Seer Bakshanam/Sweets prepared by the bride's party is sent to her marital home for them to distribute it among their family and friends. The boxes had been filled with all the sweet meets two days before and were stored in the cooling room at the venue.

It was well past 10.30 in the night when Anika reached home to find Khanna crying against Shivaay's shoulder,

Khanna: Sach kyon nahi bataya aapne aur mujhe kyon roka aapne. Main keh deta sab kuch. (Why didn't you tell them the truth? They should know everything. Any why did you stop me from telling them?)

Shivaay: Nahin baat karni (I don't want to talk about it)

Anika: Khanna Bhaiyya, aapko aur meri inki kasam, keh daaliye saare raaz, kya hua tha. (Khanna Bhaiyya, I would like to know all the happenings)

Shivaay: Anika

Anika: Bikul chup rahiye, aap bolne se rahe, lekin sach kya hain yeh to pata chale. (Shivaay, I know your maxim, silence is golden, but I go by my motto, speech is silver. Khanna Bhaiyya I want to know the truth)

Khanna recounted the day's events graphically Tej's villainy, his bankruptcy & his ploy to kill his own sons. 

It was midnight and by the end of the monologue, Anika's fury hath no bounds

Anika turned & faced Shivaay: You took the flak for that monster. How could you do that...He who wanted to kill his own sons and hired a hit man.

Shivaay: He was my Bade Papa

Anika: Bade and Papa. The man has defiled both the terms in every way. Ok fine he was your Bade Papa, but why would you make him a martyr. Well you wanted to become Ram, you became one, but why make god out of that monster.  And the sons who are alive because of you, are now calling you all kinds of names.

Anika was livid at the same time was crying: Five years of your life Shivaay, just gone. We were lucky they let you out earlier otherwise it was going to be another five more years before your release. You know what, I am done. I agree with you now, nothing in that house is ours, we are not going back there. I don't want any part of it.

Anika whirled around and continued ranting: I won't be surprised if another family popped up at the doorstep claiming to be Mrs. Tej Singh Oberoi and with her brood of children.  Right Khanna Bhaiyya?

Shivaay: Anika you can't be throwing allegations just like that?

Anika: Oh can't I,  And who is going to stop me?

And something in Khanna's body language halted her and she proceeded: Aur kuch bhi hai kya Khanna Bhaiyya? (Is there more?)

Khanna had a poker face and that expression confirmed Anika's suspicion that there was more.

Anika: Khanna Bhaiyya...?

Shivaay tiredly: Aur kya bolega Anika, (Anika...there is nothing to tell.)

Anika: Really Khanna Bhaiyya... Such mein aur bahut hain na? Wo.h kasam se ab tak aap bandhe hai. Yaad na ho to, aapko phir se inki & meri kasam, bol dijiye sab (there is more right? And btw you are still bound by the oath, tell us everything)

Khanna: I don't know whether you should

Shivaay: Aur hai? aur kya hai Khanna (There is more? What more is there?) Shivaay was clearly perplexed

Khanna: It is about your parents Sir.

Shivaay: What?

Khanna: That night, Oberoi Mansion had a visitor, Swetlana Kapoor, wanting to meet Tej Sir (TSO). TSO was expected to arrive that evening from Delhi. Shakti Sir was at home and took Ms. Kapoor in the study. He went to the kitchen to inform the staff to arrange for tea and refreshments for Ms. Kapoor during her wait. In the meanwhile, Tej Sir called the landline and that was answered by your Mother, Pinky Singh Oberoi. While taking the message from TSO about his flight being delayed, she made him aware of his visitor. I don't know what Tej Sir told Pinky Ma'am, but she was furious with Shakti Sir. She made a beeline for the kitchen, dragged Shakti Sir into their room. The locked room emanated out of control rantings of Pinky Ma'am alleging Shakti Sir of having another wife, who was pregnant and Shakti Sir's pleas to hear him out. And then we heard two shots, Pinky Ma'm had shot Shakti Sir @ point blank range and then had shot herself. By the time, the doors were broken by then the security officer, Charanjeet Khanna, my father, both of them were lying in a pool of blood. It was revealed to me by my father on his death bed that Ms. Kapoor was indeed, Tej Singh's wife and had visited to inform him of her pregnancy. Dadi intervened to keep her family intact, she let late Shakti Sir be labelled as a philanderer, packed off Tej & Jhanvi to London and Swetlanda Kapoor was paid a hefty sum to relocate to Europe. Child support payments on a monthly basis were remitted to Swetlana.  

Shivaay: Dadi? She let me think my dad was a philanderer & my mother a murderer. She let him loose to play more havoc, when he should have been contained. All my life, so much of heartache for nothing ...

Anika hugged Shivaay: Shhh, boliye Khanna Bhaiyya, ab to mujhe yakeen hai, aur bhi raita failega. (Khanna Bhaiyya, please continue, now I am certain there is a truckload of skeletons waiting to tumble out of the closet)

Khanna: After the Daksh/Tia fiasco, I started digging into their lives. I found that Tia & Daksh Kapoor were acquaintances of TSO  &  were set up to come into yours lives - the London connection. The brother & sister are children of illustrious Late Sir Dhanraj Kapoor & philanthropist Late Lady Tanuja Roy Kapoor. Daksh was a wastrel and Tia was no less. As a 16-year-old, Tia Kapoor suffered a severe bout of mumps that affected her ovaries and rendered her infertile. Daksh has been living it up to the Jones's forever. The Kapoor fortune along with investments of a handful of elite Londoners were decimated in TSO/DK business schemes. So TSO forged the personal and business merger of Oberoi & London based-Kapoor families and industries. Tia could never have children, that meant you, Sir , would have no heirs. To safe guard Priyanka's life, you would always fund Daksh's (actually TSO's) & the Oberoi fortune would always be in the hands of TSO & his heirs. However, your marriage to Anika nullified all his plans. Return to India was mandatory, and he was declared bankrupt in the London business circle & no business in the European Union was going to touch TSO with a barge pole. So Plan B was hacked. BTW Mohit/Taj the Illusionist/Magician is Swetlana & TSO's son. Both father and son had plotted for you to become the fall guy, but unfortunately for them, you turned  out smarter. Mohit was made the scape goat & is still rotting in Tihar for culpable homicide. In your absence Oberoi Industries has lost its edge. Om Sir & Rudy Baba both put together are barely keeping it going.

Shivaay:  Dadi knew that Dad was innocent. What a joke, the great wall, Shivaay Singh Oberoi's idol was Tej Singh Oberoi. Oh what a mess!

A totally broken Shivaay walked to the window and stared blankly taking the view of the poorly illuminated street.

Anika: You know what will be the ultimate joke? We find that TSO is alive and well.

Both the men looked at each other disbelievingly at Anika as though she had grown two horns.

Anika: What you don't think it is possible? For this kind of money, anything is possible. And don't forget - even though, Taj the Magician/Illusionist and his able assistant are in prison, they can always offer their expert opinion from behind the bars. Well what an evening, anyway, Shivaay, have you eaten? Shivaay, Shivaay have you had dinner. And you, Khanna Bhaiyya. I thought as much. Chaliye

Anika got out the food and laid the table for three. As she served the food for three. She walked to the window and dragged Shivaay to the dining table.  

Shivaay: You too have not eaten the whole day, have you?

Anika: It is Ok Shivaay. I had a lot of company and there was so much fruit & juice,

Shivaay: But you did not eat anything right?

Anika: So we make a good team don't we? Start eating. Khanna Bhaiyya, aap bhi chaliye.

Khanna: Ghar Jaaker Khaoonga. My wife is waiting for me. Aata hoon phir se Shivaay sir (I will eat at my home; my wife is waiting for me. I will be back again for Sir)

Anika: No need, go and rest, you will have to come back again tomorrow.

Khanna left and Shivika ate their dinner in silence. After a good wash, both lay down on the floor for the night. The couple started out on their backs. As sleep took over, Shivaay moved on to his right, away from Anika. In the dark, rivulets rolled from her eyes as Anika cried silently for her bagadbilla and how to resurrect their lives. She had decided for the time being to stay in this house, use this as a base to find more work before making permanent arrangements. Sheer mental & physical exhaustion caught up with the couple and both fell into a deep slumber to be wakened by loud knockings on the door the following morning.

Anika registered that there was someone at the front door and to her surprise found Sheela's mom, Sheela & Ram at her doorstep.

Sheela's mom: Anika, this  is breakfast for you and Shivaay. And take this too these are your wedding clothes, I bought for you and Shivaay. And please don't say no

Anika: But Amma Aunty, Sheela is paying me for this job,

Sheela's mom: You are no less than a daughter to me. I won't hear any protests from you. And Shivaay, if Anika is my daughter, you are the son-in-law of this house, so please I urge you to stay till the Lagna Muhurat, then you can return to the room and I won't stop you. Please?

Shivaay: Ok I will stay.

Sheela's mom: Now go freshen-up & let us all have breakfast.

Sheela: Amma, you can continue with the Annapurna role. But I need to talk to Anika first. Ani, I ...wait a minute. Are you Ok? You look so swollen and unwell. What is wrong? Is it about getting more wedding assignments or getting a permanent job? I know you are worried and MAYBE I have a solution for you.  I did not want to bring this up now, but we don't have much time. 

Anika: Yes, this is not the time, we will talk about it after the wedding.

Sheela: Babes, listen... listen, there is no time. We have to talk now. This is my only available window. Sun to sahi ladki (at least hear me out) (Sheela's phone rings). Let me get this call first...

Sheela conversing on the phone: You are here, ok let me come to the door...

Sheela walked to the door and opened to let Venilla & her groom, Vikram into the house.

Sheela: Ani meet the groom, Vikram and Vikram this is my best friend, Ani. He according to me has the answer to your problem.

Vikram: Hello, I am Vikram. Ani Akka I have heard so much about you. Sheela Manni told me that you were looking for a job. I have a proposition for you. I have about 100 acres of sugar cane plantation land in Amravathinagar near Pollachi, Tamil Nadu. Adjoining the land is an organic Jaggery making plant that has been in our family for over 100 years. The factory premises also have housing for the manager & the security staff at the entrance to the property. For the time being, Appa, is unable to oversee the property much less manage it. I don't plan on settling in India. The current manager wants to retire from work and I am looking for someone I can trust to take over the running of the factory and Sheela Akka suggested your name. Would your husband be interested to take on managing this enterprise? Let me know, we can iron out the details.  However, let me tell you, Amaravathinagar does not have much to offer. The sources of employment are either at the Amravathi Dam, a Sainik School (boarding school that is the Gateway to the National Defense Academy), the jaggery factory or at the Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary & National Park. And I won't feel bad if you don't consider and prefer to stay in Mumbai. I understand.

Anika: Let me check with Shi...

Shivaay: I will do it.

Anika whirled around: You will do it. You mean we will leave here ...

Shivaay: Yes, unless you don't want to go?

Anika: NO, I mean YES, I will go,

Shivaay looked at Vikram: We have a deal. As soon as Anika is done with her commitments, we move.

Anika: I will be done in two days. I don't have any more commitments and I won't sign up for anymore.

Shivaay: Vikram, well thanks, what are the terms of the deal. Will you draw the contract?

Vikram: I work quickly since time is of essence. I leave for Cornell in a week. My only requirement is simple, a 20-year lease to manage the company efficiently, as an operating entity as it is a source of employment to many in that region. All efforts will have to be made to run it as an organic and eco-friendly company. The region is home to the Paliyan tribe near the Manjampatti Valley. The rent per year is Rs. 20 lakhs, that is payable monthly or quarterly. All profits are yours to keep. I want to receive all financial data and updates on a monthly basis. If it is agreeable, find a copy of the draft lease agreement & all the relevant data for you in this flash drive.  

For Shivika, this lease was indeed a new lease of life. Sheela's mom, Sheela & Ram, Venilla & Vikram left to get ready for the wedding.

Anika: You Ok?

Shivaay: Yes, are you sure, you are OK with the relocation?

Anika: Can't be more sure than this.

Shivaay: I have to go town to meet Manas Roy, my lawyer to tie up some loose ends. I shall leave after the wedding and try to get back as soon as possible. And don't worry, I will take Khanna with me.

Anika: Here, take this money and my cell phone. Use OLA or Uber.

Anika quickly got ready and proceeded to the wedding venue. On her way, she called Khanna to bring Shivaay at the marriage hall for the wedding ceremony.

Promptly at 10.30 a.m Shivaay Singh Oberoi dressed in his pristine white kurta pajamas along with Khanna was there to bless the newlyweds. As Amma Aunty had requested, Shivaay sampled the food and returned to change into his new clothes he received that morning. He took off along with Khanna to the law offices of Manas Roy & Jaspreet Khurana, located in Vakil's House on Sprott Road in Ballard Estate, Mumbai. Both Manas & Jaspreet were Shivaay's good friends. Earlier Shivaay had checked with Manas for his availability and the latter had been affronted by the former's request. He had ordered Shivaay to come anytime during the day and that he, Manas would clear his schedule to make time for Shivaay.

Both Shivaay & Khanna boarded S28 Karjat Mumbai CST Fast Commuter Local Train @ 12.01 & disembarked at CST at 1.56 pm. A short 5-minute drive to Sprott Road, the duo alighted from the vehicle in front of the Vakil's House. Vakil's House literally translates to Lawyer's House is over a century old & built by the East India Company.  The majestic stone building houses over 20 law firms, a restaurant and 20 accounting firms. At the front desk, Mrs. Lobo recognized SSO & Khanna & announced his arrival to Manas Roy.

Manas Roy walked out of his office to the lobby to welcome his dear friend, Shivaay Singh Oberoi. The almost seven feet giant enveloped his friend in a bear hug

Manas: What a pleasure Shivaay. Come on let us go.

Shivaay: Khanna goes with me, Manas.

Manas: Oh sure, Khanna come along this way into my chambers and here into the conference room.

Manas locked the doors

Manas: How can I help?

Shivaay: I am signing a lease and need your advice. Secondly I am going to transfer all my shares in the Oberoi Industries, my personal properties, shares stocks, investments, landed properties, vehicles in the names of Priyanka Oberoi, Rudra Singh Oberoi & Omkara Singh Oberoi. Add a clause which states that even though all the amounts were earned by me,  none of my heirs will have a share in this property. This should be simple and airtight & will be witnessed by Khanna. Manas, if you can execute this at the earliest, I would appreciate it.

Manas: Shivaay, are you nuts? As your friend and legal advisor, this is Hara-kiri (Japanese ritual suicide by disembowelment). NO, please don't do it

Shivaay: NO please don't ask me to change my decision. I am not going to change my mind. If you can't do it, I will have someone else do it.

Manas: But,

Shivaay: Not changing my mind Manas, it will be a wasted effort. Instead help me make this document as soon as possible.

Manas: OK, this will be ready by tomorrow afternoon.

Shivaay: And,  I will pay you for this work. And please don't say no.

Manas: I won't hear another word. I will do it for you my friend.

Shivaay: Sorry Manas. Let us keep business and friendship separate. I came to you for your legal expertise and not a friend. So please let us keep this separate. Your charges will be paid, not today, but soon. This is my word to you. OK? And now I need a computer with a printer please. I need to study the data on this flash drive.

Shivaay spent a good 2 hours with the data on the flash drive. A few print outs and he took leave to return the next day to sign out the documents. At 5.10 p.m. both the men took the Deccan Queen to reach Karjat Station at 6.33 p.m. By 7.00 p.m., they reached home. Shivaay urged Khanna to go to his family.

A bone-weary Anika reached home at 11.30 p.m. and Shivaay opened the door to his saree clad wife. The bottle green bordered burnt orange saree looked fabulous on his wife. Her hair was braided and at the base of her neck, jasmine flower garlands were threaded in her braid. The bright crimson dot on her was iridescent. Amma Aunty had indeed chosen well for her daughter.

The smile on Shivaay's face eased all the stress etched on Anika's face.

Anika: So how was it?

Shivaay: All good. FYI, I gave it all up and it will be  done legally by tomorrow. I have to go back again. Think you can come with me? 

Anika: Yes, I will. Since you gave it all up, then you can add to this mangalsutra (Marriage necklace) to the pile. And this yellow thread will take its place. This, Thirumangalyam Kair (Sacred Yellow Wedding Thread) I picked up from the priest. Till you get me another Mangalsutra, I will make do with this thread. Here husband dear, please do the needful.

Shivaay: And how soon do you think we can move out of Mumbai?

Anika: 15 days later?

Shivaay: Think we can wrap up everything by then?

Anika: I can try to get done earlier even.

The following day the documents were signed & witnessed by Khanna. The sealed document was in the custody of Manas to be handed over during the next general body meeting that would take place at the Oberoi head-quarters in less than three weeks. Vikram's draft lease was also approved by Manas. Shivaay signed the new lease for 20 years. The newly-weds left for the US on the 15th midnight and Shivika boarded 16381 Kanyakumari Express at Karjat the following evening at 17:18 to reach Trivandrum Central at 10.15 a.m. two days later.  The couple then boarded 16343 Amritha Express later that night at 11.30 p.m. to reach Pollachy Junction at 9.10 a.m. the following morning.

Edited by akhilash - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Anika_PreRish thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
yay... i m loving tis..
woohoo!!!!
continue sooonish..
Shri_12 thumbnail
Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 6
Looking forward to read more. 
Suggestions 
Don't include too many names in the text. Instead of writing two aunts two uncles husbands brother etc. Use word relatives name relations only wherever necessary. It would your as well as my time. Also no need to mention about train names and timings. Avoid unnecessary details. Instead include more emotions of characters and storyline. 
adnilover thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
wonderful spin to the storyline⭐️
Arudra1009 thumbnail
A new perspective, interesting read..please do continue.
sosweetsumi thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
i am loving this
totally love this one 
hope tej comes back then those idiots will know what they had lost
jasie baap waise bete
right now i am hating all idiots oberios.
please do continue
bye sumi
akhilash thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
Alas, the past few weeks have been pretty depressing with the massacre of IB's most lovable character, RSO. Just can't reconcile to RSO's characterization. 

Matters aside, here goes the next installment. A little rough as I have not edited with a fine toothed comb.  Enjoy 

OBEROI HEADQUARTERS 
Magnet House, Mumbai 

Three weeks later at the Quarterly meeting at the Oberoi HQ, there was rampant commotion when Manas Roy & Jaspreet Khurana presented their client Shivaay Singh Oberoi's divestation of assets from Oberoi holdings. The board was aghast. 50% of the non-family board members refused to accept SSO's decision, however Rudra Singh Oberoi (RSO) was more than happy and felt that he was owed the compensation for his loss. After all, his father had died for a mere Rs.60/- crore n a return ticket to London. For OSO (Omkara Singh Oberoi) & RSO (Rudra Singh Oberoi), the meeting ended on a high note with a windfall gain, however the officers / shareholders and investors foresaw the onset of decline & doom. The duo returned home & were overjoyed to learn that the Shivaay had vacated the house. The partition remained, as RSO occupied SSO's section of the house. All memories pertaining to SSO was systematically eradicated.  

Life for the senior Oberoi management officials, particularly those that were hand-picked by SSO, was not easy with RSO's high-handedness, unprofessional attitude. Their career graph took a dive at the Oberois.  Many that held key positions were hired by rivals or became entrepreneurs to become players in the same industry where the Oberoi's operated. With the lack of leadership, the company's position as an industry leader quickly dwindled. Turn-key projects' deadlines were missed resulting in payment of fines & lawsuits. However, the duo of OSO & RSO, did not blink as the wealth amassed by SSO was huge, the outgoings seemed paltry. The company's legal advisors & family friends, Manas Roy & Jaspreet Khurana attempted to warn the brothers individually and together, no attention was paid by either brother.  

A week later, the OM had an unusual visitor in Kali Prasad Thakur who identified himself as business associate of TSO. The security guard at the gate was overwhelmed to see the security accompanying the individual. The visiting men in black bore heavy duty artillery and without further ado, the guard at the gate called the main security office for advice and of course the ever-omni-present Khanna brought the visitors to the main house. All the residing Oberois assembled to gathered curious to know their visitor.  

Kali Prasad Thakur (KPT): My condolences to you and our family... 

RSO: Khanna, I don't know how you let people inside the house without an appointment.  

Khanna: Rudra Sir, Mr. Thakur knew your father and was here to meet him on several occasions. In fact he was here 2 days before your father's demise. 

RSO: Who are you, Kali Prasad Thakur? & you make an appearance to offer condolences after 5 years. I don't need to be a genius to know the reason for your presence. So let us cut out the pleasantries and get down to business. 

KPT: OK business mode it is. Your dad, borrowed Rs.60/- crore from me to bail him out of bankruptcy six months before his death.  

RSO: Borrowed, why would he borrow? And that too from the likes of you. The last I spoke to my Dad, no mention of bankruptcy came up. I know this is another ploy by SSO. How much did he pay you to malign my dad's name? 

KPT: Well let me put it this way for you Sonny, no one would touch your father with a barge pole in the entire EU financial district. He got away because Shivaay Singh Oberoi's name was on most deals. Any deal he floated on his own accord, was a NO-GO from the word 'GO'.  Here is the copy of the agreement that was signed by your Dad, TSO, at my office in London. Since you have just started playing in the big arenas, let me make it easier for you. Your Dad borrowed 6,349,206.00 & with interest compounded, the amount owed to me is almost 7 millions   

RSO: Or  

KPT (leeringly looks at Gauri & Bhavya): this house with its contents. The agreement is quite simple & straight-forward. Here is your copy, get it checked with your legal team. I want my money, you have 48 hours to return my money else I know how to get my money back.  

RSO: You will have your money. The Oberois don't cheat.  

KPT (jeeringly): Of course, the Oberois don't cheat. You just help yourselves don't you as if it is your birthright? Am I right? And particularly with Lady Law residing in this house, why would you cheat? Anyway it is none of my business. I will be back the day after tomorrow for my money...  

RSO: Not here, I will meet you at the Otter's Club Off of Carter Road day after tomorrow at 5 pm. I will get you a bank draft for the money owed.  

KPT: It was a pleasure to meet you all and again let me extend my condolences... 

The party left, however RSO found OSO in a contemplative mood 

OSO: Rudra, we found that Rs.60/- crore check right. Why was Shivaay paying off Dad's debt? Dad was bankrupt?  

RSO: Shut up O, why are you conducting a postmortem now? And I don't want Dad's name to be dragged with such people. Just the thought that Dad had to resort to borrowings and was not allowed to help himself of the vast fortune makes my blood boil. God knows where he as hidden himself. SSO, if I ever find you, I will skin you alive for my Dad's plight. 

Dadi: Rudra no more rantings. I have had enough. Handle the jobs at hand rather than shouting at people who are not here. Khanna, help me to my room please.  

Dadi: Khanna, did KPT come home here? 

Khanna: Yes Dadiji, he did 

Dadi: And the nature of his business was? 

Khanna: As KPT said, to collect what was owed to him. But I don't know the details and when I tried to  ...

Dadi: Delete all the footage - I mean all, the killing mayhem and everything before and after. My weakness for my firstborn has cost me a lot. Let sleeping dogs lie and if they resurrect, please bury them. You don't have to even ask. Is that clear Khanna?  

Khanna: I did not have anything to do with that Dadiji. Shivaay Sir had it erased even before I got there. I tried to recover the footage from our back-up servers, but Shivaay Sir was thinking far ahead. All the footage has disappeared and we will never know what happened.  

Dadi: Being good does not help in this world. It takes very little to wipe out one's goodness in a flash, while the baddies of the world roam scot-free to do what they want. Khanna you know the secrets of this house and I expect you to ...  

Khanna: You don't have to tell me anything. You will have no cause for complaints. I will be leaving for Pushkar Mela with my family in May for 15 days.   

Dadi: OK. Make arrangements for your substitute during your absence. Who substitutes during your absence?  Ansari isn't it?  

Khanna:  Ji Dadiji. 

Dadi: Now get out of here. I need to rest these old bones.  

After being summarily dismissed by the matriarch, Pawan Khanna, retreated to his office. On his way out, he noticed OSO lurking around Dadi's room. This Oberoi did not know how to lie or hide or for that matter take a firm stand. Pisega sab taraf se, thought Khanna. 

Dadi: Ansari, I am Kalyani. In May, Khanna will be taking off for Pushkar Mela for about 15 days. I want a tail on him. You know what to do. 

Ansari: Yes maam.  

Life at OM seemed to be just settling, when the MeToo Movement's gathering momentum swept the Oberoi's. Numerous women turned up alleging harassment by TSO on the social media and some turned up at their doorstep. Bhavya Singh Oberoi's (BSO) found herself stuck between a rock and a hard place. As many allegations could not be proved due to lack of evidence or lapse of time, but with the growing number of victims coming out of the wood work on a daily basis with their stories of abuse & sexual harassment, Commissioner BSO was cornered more than a few times at work. BSO, had worked hard for her position. She, herself had been the recipient of abuse at work, and had made it a point to bring the perpetrator's sins to light and bring justice to the affected women. On more than one occasion, she was facilitated for her efforts. At the home front, her husband would not stop with the hounding. And maintaining secrecy was getting harder. With mounting evidence coming out of late TSO's closet, this Oberoi found herself on the defensive more often. With more than two dozen lawsuits, the crowning moment was when Sheena, Rudra's one-time girlfriend turned up at OM heavily pregnant claiming to be Mrs. TSO with irrefutable proof - a registered marriage certificate, photographs of the couple at various social events and a home in Ghaziabad paid by TSO. The lady in question agreed to DNA and polygraph testing. The results indicated that her claims were indeed genuine, much to the press' delight. The resulting RSO tantrum only led to a media circus, and RSO was labelled as 'The Oberoi Brat'. RSO's 
short-tempered outbursts got worse and his leadership was questioned at the work. The Oberoi legal team swung into action at OSO's insistence, and majority of the claims were found to be legit, resulting in out-of-court case settlements. The widowed Jhanvi Singh Oberoi who in the first place could not handle her beloved's untimely death was diagnosed with anxiety and depression. With  three more Oberoi children on the way from different women claiming to be Mrs. TSO, & rising claims of abuse by women, the first Mrs. TSO found a new love, drinking. The stay at home Dabbang Oberoi (Gauri) was landed with the task of bringing back the sloshed Oberoi home at ungodly hours after receiving calls from club owners or from bartenders. 

9 months later at the Stree Clinic in Pollachi, Tamil Nadu, Shivakami Singh along with her husband, Anikeshwaran Singh gave birth to a set of identical twins.   

Nandini Mani (attending physician): Mrs. Singh, your job is done. Buy one & get one. Can't get any better. 

Anikeshwaran (Renamed Shivaay): Actually Doc, I would have preferred to replicate my wife in a daughter. Well as far as the mom & kids are healthy, I am ok with that.  

Shivakami (Renamed Anika): You Ok  

Shivaay: Yes thank you, but that monstrous 6 hour labor, shaved off 6 years of my life. No more children now.  

Anika: I thought you wanted a daughter.  

Shivaay: Too many girls are out there that need parents. We can become one to them. 

Anika: You are OK with adoption?  

Shivvay: Yes I am, koi Shaq (Any doubts?) 

The proud couple brought the children home to Amravathinagar. Four weeks later, at their residence, the workers and a few friends that included Pawan Khanna, organized the children's naming ceremony. The boys were named Anvay Singh & Ansh Singh. There was no doubt who the kids favored, they were endowed with their Dad's fair skin and Kanji aankhen.  

Shivaay: Khanna, why have you come? I told you not to. Your job will be in jeopardy if they find out you are here.  

Khanna: No, they won't Sir. I know I am being tailed by my own, Ansari. I told him I was going on a pilgrimage to the Golden Temple and then to Haridwar. Once I was done at the Golden Temple, I gave him the slip. Poor kid is still looking all over.  

Shivaay: How do you know that? 

Khanna (smugly): Because I have a tail on him.  

Shivaay: You won't listen. Your family is also expanding and if you lose your job, I don't want to feel responsible for your loss.  

Khanna: Don't worry Sir. I can leave the job today & find an alternative.  

While six months later, at Diribhai Ambani Hospital in Lodhivali, Sachika & Pawan Khanna cherished the birth of Anukool Khanna.  Ansari had nothing to report as Pawan Khanna took off on account of Paternity leave.  

Khanna left on a second pilgrimage wanting to appease the Gods in Kedarnath, Uttarakand & Kamakhya Devi in Assam. Poor Ansari was barely able to keep up with Khanna till Uttarakand. The slip cost him his job. Upon his return, Khanna found that his hand-picked security personnel were let go and the security work was outsourced. That same night Pawan Khanna was snapped up to come on board as the Chief of Investigative Services with Topsgroove. The huge pay rise elevated the Khannas to a much higher economic strata. And Khanna accredited his good fortune to his Shivaay Sir's recommendation. When given a choice, Khanna wisely chose Mangalore as his base of operations.    

Team Rikara & Ruvyaa could not think of children; as the OM had regular visitations from three Mrs. TSO's with their children on a regular basis. Both OSO & RSO were unable to run the Oberoi Industries and with the lack of good workers and able management, the one-time leader was rendered to mediocrity. The brothers drifted apart and OSO started disassociating himself from RSO.  

But happier moments touched the Oberoi Mansion too. 18 months later, the Oberoi Mansion had its first delivery from the stork. Gauri Singh Oberoi delivered her first born, Swayam Omkara Singh Oberoi & Bhavya Singh Oberoi welcomed her first born, Aham Rudra Singh Oberoi. At the same time, the stork continued its delivery at Shivakami & Anikeshwaran's. The couple found themselves again at the Stree Clinic and just as Anikeshwaran had wished, the couple were endowed with a set of fraternal daughters.  

The attending physician was still Dr. Nandini Mani who chuckled: From what I have heard about you Anikeshwaran, I know you deliver on your promises, but twice as much, is a bit too much. I am glad all men in India don't have your disposition.    

Shivaay burst out laughing: Doc, I could not be more contented with my good fortune. But my ardent wish to have a child resemble my wife remains unfulfilled. 

Dr. Mani: We will hope for that in the next generation. 3 strikes & you are out. You have had 4 mister... no more kids from you now. 

Anika: Actually, we had said 2 strikes and no more, these just decided to turn up.  

The Singh couple & their toddlers welcomed the new born children. The small community at sugarcane plantation at Amravathinagar welcomed their Anna (Older Brother) & Manni's (older brother's wife) daughters who were named Ananya & Shivanya. 

The new generation of kids, Ansh & Anvay soon outgrew their infancy, toddler stage & were now 5 years old. Team Shivika decided to move into a house 40 kms from the factory to the city of Pollachi to be near the children's school - Bharathiyaar Vidyalaya Sansthaan. The younger set were still toddling across the floors in Pollachi & OM.  

The matriarch of the house, Kalyani Singh Oberoi was diagnosed with fast deteriorating dementia. OSO who checked on his Dadi  occasionally received updates from the full-time nurse. The nurse usually communicated some bizzarre and warped happenings in the life of Kalyani Singh Oberoi. OSO overlooked them. 

Janhvi Singh Oberoi (JSO) continued with her drinking, now measured since she was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis. One would have thought that with the coming of the grandchildren, she would have steadied herself, instead JSO was motivated to indulge in plastic surgeries. Her low self-esteem, low satisfaction with life and self-induced perception of low self-rated attractiveness fueled her need to augment her looks.   

Bhavyaa was a DGP and with a busy career had little time for the rest of the family. She preferred to be a mom when she did not work and did not like any interruptions during her mom-son time.  

BSO: Arti, no calls now. Ok, what was so urgent that you had to call on my personal cell phone. What... take a message. I will look into it tomorrow. What do you mean that there is a possible threat? Fine, what is it? OK I will be there now. 

DGP BSO reached Sakinaka Police Station in 26 minutes from Bandra. Upon reaching the interrogation Unit, she was met by the arresting officer, ACP, Ketki Ranawat.  

The officer recounted her finding to BSO. During her routine check at the Mankhurd Octroi Check Post, she had stopped a semi (truck) driven by Loha Singh Bedriyal & his assistant Virender Tyagi. Both were drunk heavily and had yet to come to their senses. However, during interrogation, the officer had referred them as scums of the earth and Loha Singh countered by saying that there were more scums on this earth. But the world was a better place, as it was rid of a nasty scum, TSO, who had paid him money to kill his own sons. She had thought that the drunk was ranting, but Loha Singh managed to pull out the picture of OSO & RSO. 

DGP BSO asked to be taken to the cell where both the suspects were kept.  

DGP BSO splashed a jug full of water at both the inebriated souls. The boys popped up cursing the wet & harsh lights.  

DGP BSO: Bolo, hosh mein aa gaye ya aur pani maroon. (Speak up, are you in your senses, or should I splash more water). Who paid you for what?  

Loha Singh: What? The police force ran out of men that they have let the women play dress up and do the man's job.  

DGP BSO: Will you answer the question scumbag or should I resort 

Loha Singh: Scum, you are calling me scum. OK I am a scum. I kill for money but for money I will not kill my own. What do you call such people? Have you heard the Oberois, the big wealthy Oberois... remember the boy that killed his uncle. Good smart boy, knew where the problem was.  

DGP BSO: Will you stop ranting this nonsense? How did you get this picture? 

Loha Singh: I was given this picture by TSO. He wanted me to kill these two, his sons, ten years ago. May be less. I was paid a lot of money. Just hit their car and run over.  And all because he wanted their share of money. He gloated drunkenly in the bar, that old low life.  

Loha Singh: Told me to wait for his call. I waited and heard the whole story. That boy pleaded with him, Bade Papa he said, not to kill his brothers. He was ready to kill that boy too for the money.  

Loha Singh: After that things did not go well, as the young one got angry. When platitudes did not work, the young one got angry and there was some sort of tussle and the gun went off. I bailed out since I gotten more than 50% of the money. I read two days later that boy had gone to jail for murdering TSO. 

A numb BSO proceeded to the Oberoi HQs. At the reception, old timer, Mrs. Francis led her to the conference room. As she waited, BSO took stock of the room. A gigantic poster of TSO was mounted on the wall. Around the walls were other pictures of the TSO with various dignitaries. 15 minutes later both the brothers turned up. After exchanging pleasantries, she came to the point, 

BSO: Have you ever had anyone trying to run you off the road? I mean a trucker a big vehicle or something ever? 

RSO: Is this a joke? You came to ask this random question on a busy day? You could have asked this via a text or phone? 

BSO: Did it happen? Just answer the question.. 

RSO: No. 

OSO: Yes, but not recently 

BSO: When 

OSO: 8 years ago, the day we lost dad.  

RSO: Why do you keep bringing it up? Can't you let it go? I want to forget it. Both of you, I don't want to remember anything,
 do you get it?  

BSO: Rudra, raving and ranting is not going to get you anything much less peace of mind. Now what I am going to tell you will make you squirm. So get ready to squirm my dear and as they truly say, Payback is a bitch. I should have investigated deeper. I should not have let it go. I am going to go and ask for the CC TV footage.  

So BSO iterated the entire story to the brothers as they gaped in stunned silence.  

OSO got up and left the office, but RSO would not accept the fact. 

RSO: Another ruse isn't it set up by the great SSO. He cannot let us rest in peace. He has to come back right.  

BSO: Rudra, Shivaay Bhaiyya is not in the picture at all. The guy who I interrogated does not know anything about bade bhaiyya. You have it wrong, in fact we all got it very wrong. You have to thank bade bhaiyya for being alive today. And if the truth does not convince you, nothing will. I will see you at home tonight. 

An exhausted BSO reached home to find OSO with Guari, Mummyji & Dadiji in the hall. Dadi was mumbling her rantings. JSO was in a silent stupor. The one person who was active on the phone was Gauri.  

Gauri: Chachi, main Gauri. Di ki koi khabar hai aapke paas. Sahil to jaanta hoga na. Khanna Bhaiyaa, Sheela Didi, kissiko to pata hoga apne mohalle main. (Aunty, this is Gauri. Do you have any news of Didi?  If you not you, then Sahil might know something. How about Khanna Bhaiyya or Sheela Didi or her parents? I am sure someone from our house knows where they went.) 

That night the news leaked about the death of TSO and the accused SSO. The media frenzy outside the OM was a sight to behold.  

-------
Stay tuned for the next - Hunt for the elusive SSO
Edited by akhilash - 5 years ago
Anika_PreRish thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
OhEmGeee!!!! missed this story a lot...
yay... i loved this update...
continue sooonish.
Krina_Patel thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail