ArHi TS: Distance (Chapter 3 of 3 POSTED!!)

Posted: 5 years ago
A/N: Hello friends! I hope all of you're doing wonderful. I am posting anything after a long break. I think, a year now. Anyway, this is a little something I happened to scribble one night and I just thought I should post. There will be two more chapters which will come pretty soon. :)

Chapter 1 of 3:

"Juda Hoke Bhi...Tu Mujhmein Kahi Baaki Hai"

Khushi straightened her midnight blue coloured lehenga and adjusted the dupatta across her chest. Her hair had been reshaped into soft, long waves that fell on her back  and gave her an ethereal look. She had barely put on any jewellery except the tear shaped diamond earrings she had borrowed from Lavanya. 

Everyone in the dressing room complimented her and she smiled politely every time. No one could see the storm that was raging in her heart. Everyone saw the peaceful demeanor she had so carefully practiced for a week. 

She should be happy by the fact that she looked happy to others. Maybe he too would buy it. Everyone else is!

"You're an independent, beautiful and a happy woman, Khushi" She told herself before finally opening the door and stepping out into the party.

The grand reception party of Anjali Singh Raizada turning into Anjali Shyam Jha.

Anjali was Khushi's good friend and there was no way she could have avoided coming here. But, it also meant seeing him after one long year. 

He had flown into the city for the reception. He had missed the wedding. Khushi would be lying if she said that she hadn't been shocked by his absence in the wedding.

If there was any person Arnav Singh Raizada loved to death it was his sister Anjali. And yet, he hadn't come to the wedding. Anjali had been heartbroken. But three days after the wedding, today was the reception. And he was coming. Khushi wondered if Anjai had forgiven him for his absence. She hadn't had a chance to ask.

Maybe she will ask him. Wouldn't it be something to hear it straight from the horse's mouth? But, that would ruin her plans of avoiding him as much as possible. Maybe she'll ask him if she somehow ends up not avoiding him.

Because, with him, she was always unpredictable. 

Who knows what she will do when she'll see him finally? Will she feel happy to see him? Will she feel sad? Angry? Well, now was the time to find out. 

"Be brave, Khushi" She said, stepping into the crowd and began mingling with the people.

Exactly thirteen minutes had passed and the sense of uneasiness was only rising in Khushi. She could feel him lingering nearby, somewhere close.

Another five minutes ticked by and Khushi decided to have a cocktail. She reached to the open bar and ordered one.

"Here" Her breath stopped as she heard the deep voice. She turned back to find him, offering her his drink. It was the same one she had just ordered and looked still untouched. Breathe, Khushi!

"No, thanks! He's making me a fresh one" She smiled politely. Too politely.

She watched him assess her from head to toe, his gaze so keen, dark and slow.

He nodded slowly and took a sip of his drink.

"Your drink, ma'am" the bartender said. Khushi took it quickly and drowned it in a go.

"Thanks" she smiled at the bartender and then turned back to Arnav. He still stood there looking at her.

"I like the ring" He said to her with his gaze fixed upon the golden band on her ring finger.

"So do I" She replied, lifting her palm and looking at the ring. 

It wasn't very costly but the design was quite unique. There was no way for Arnav to know this but there was a name written on the inside of this ring. A name she was sure would make him lose the calm and composed facade he was carrying so smoothly at the moment. That knowledge alone made Khushi feel in power. 

"So, how was New York?" She asked casually. 

Arnav saw her sweet smile and the way she held herself. She looked different. More at ease and confident.

"Perfect" He replied, sliding a hand in his pocket and shifting his body weight on another leg.

Khushi nodded. He was deliberately trying to appear nonchalant. Good for her.

"So...I'll see you around" She said.

"I'll be flying out first thing in the morning" He answered, looking sideways.

Khushi hated that she felt disappointed. It shouldn't matter to her when he was leaving.

"Safe travels, then!" She made the effort to smile again. But inside, she was beginning to feel heavy.

"Thank you" Arnav replied after a second and then starting checking his phone.

Khushi took that as her cue to leave.

"Congrats on the engagement" He said without looking up from the phone. 

Khushi halted and stood there. He was still checking something on his phone, acting as if he hadn't just congratulated her for the engagement.

"Thanks" She replied dryly and left from his side. 

She made sure she walked in slow, sure steps. Don't let him know you want to run out of this party. She kept walking until she bumped into Lavanya.

Arnav lifted his gaze from his from the phone only after he was sure she had left. There was no way in hell he was going to show her how shaky he felt. 

Just saying the word 'engagement' had made him jittery in and out. It hadn't felt real until he had seen that ring sitting on her finger. And after congratulating her, he felt dejected. And a hollowness that he couldn't begin to understand. But whatever! He is here only for another ten hours. 

After that, he'll be back in New York and will go back to feeling better. Life in New York is the best. He reminded himself. 

Leaving India was a good decision. He remembered how difficult it had been to make that choice a year back.

His Nani had just passed away and Anjali had told him she was dating Shyam Manohar Jha, his business arch rival.

Khushi...had finally begun to drop hints that she liked him. It had taken three years for her to respond to his long stares, fleeting touches and exclusive smirks. But, he feared to stay. Did he really want to be tethered to this place? After his Nani's demise, he wanted to be anywhere but in Raizada Mansion. He wanted new things. And he also wanted Khushi. But both weren't possible. So, he had made a choice. A choice which had seemed logical then. 

Now, after a year, he has to make himself believe everyday that he had taken the right decision. Standing in this party, watching Anjali exchange shy smiles with Shyam Mamohar Jha help him remember that he had been right in leaving. 

Shyam Manohar Jha was a decent person but an unethical businessman. He played dirty and gave way too much value to money. Anjali hadn't listened to his warning and married him nonetheless. Arnav had declared to Shyam Manohar Jha that he won't be giving any share of his property to either Anjali or him. 

Shyam Manohar Jha had surprisingly not made a fuss and said he didn't want Anjali's money. He had also requested him to come to the reception. Arnav had outright refused. But, then Shyam had told him that Anjali was pregnant. That had explained a lot. The quick wedding without waiting for his approval. He had finally decided to come. There was no point of holding grudges. Maybe he could give Shyam a chance.

So, he had flown in. But, he knew the herculean task wouldn't be watching his sister with Shyam Manohar Jha. It will be watching Khushi before his eyes. And the ring on her finger. 

He knew that when he had announced he was leaving for New York, Khushi had been heartbroken. Although, she hadn't said it to him but he had seen the pain, the anger and the accusation in her eyes. And if he was being honest, he had welcomed all those emotions that Khushi had directed at him. Because, staying here and being with her was a dream too unreal. It was easier to leave than to stay. It was easier to escape than to commit. Because commitment was what Khushi would have required sooner or later. And he didn't know if he would have been ready to give that to her. Not then. 

And today? She was already committed. 

He had heard through Anjali when she had gotten engaged four months back. He had felt cheated. As if in some silent corner of his heart he had been expecting her to wait. But why will she wait? He had made no promises before leaving. Had barely said goodbye.

Yet, upon getting the news of her engagement, he had spent the entire night getting drunk in a bar. The next two days he had been unable to come out of the hangover and stop feeling the hollowness. But, over days and weeks, he had adjusted himself. 

He was fine now. At least was until he walked into the party and saw her. And then saw the ring on her finger. And then the smile on her lips. The confidence on her face. She was happy. Good. Perfect. 

"Aman, get me a morning ticket back to NY" He called up his assistant at the New York office and ordered. Initially, he had decided to stay for two to three days. But seeing her and her ring, he had instantly decided to leave the first thing in the morning. 

This place sucked! This party sucked. 

He needed to get back to his hotel. He was done playing the happy brother.

Khushi felt a tear falling out of her eye and she quickly wiped it. She didn't know what she was expecting. Obviously he didn't apologize for leaving! And obviously she didn't shout at him, hit him for breaking her heart all those months ago. So, why did she feel drained now? Like, she had just walked miles and miles only to reach nowhere.

"Should I come pick you up?" The text in her phone read. 

"I am already on my way. Anjali sent a car with me" Khushi texted back with shaky fingers. Why was she lying? She still stood at the gate of the Raizada Mansion. People were pouring in and out. No one paid much attention to her. She looked like a guest stepping out of the party to catch a break from the noise. After standing there for another few minutes, Khushi decided that it was better to go in and ask Lavanya to drop her.

She turned back to go inside and bumped into someone. With her luck, that someone turned out to be Arnav Singh Raizada. He had been walking out of the party in long strides, looking in his phone and texting when he ran right into her.

"Khushi" He exclaimed, steadying her by holding her shoulders. She instantly stepped back.

"I am okay" She replied and tried to go back inside.

"Sorry for bumping into you. I was just leaving" He said. Khushi tried to ignore the word 'leaving'. Leaving the party and then the city. 

"I too am leaving in a minute. Have to go to work tomorrow" She replied.

"Let me drop you" Arnav instantly said. 

"I mean if you don't have a ride" He added after a second. Khushi looked at him and then her cellphone. She had already texted that she was on her way. Should she go with him? Or go in and find Lavanya? Khushi knew what the logical choice should be but her heart hammered wildly.

"Okay" she said.

"Okay" Arnav repeated after her.

"I mean...this way" He guided her towards his car.

And Khushi followed with a thundering heart. She was going to sit with him in his car. For full thirty minutes. She didn't know why she agreed to this foolish offer. Maybe she knew. Maybe she wanted to spend a little more time with him before he left tomorrow. Maybe she was just dumb.

Arnav knew he was playing with fire when he offered to drive her home. He barely expected her to agree. But, she did. And now he felt his body and mind playing tricks on him. Maybe she doesn't hate you. Maybe she wants to talk to you. Maybe she still likes you. Maybe you're just a crazy man.

Khushi got into the car and Arnav drove out of the parking. As they reached the main road, it started to rain; with heavy winds and thundering. 

Both of them realized that the storm was coming. 

Let me know where do you think this is going! 😉

Index

Chapter 1: Above 

Chapter 2: Scroll Down

Chapter 3: Scroll Down

Edited by Pearl_Oyster - 5 years ago
Chapter 2

Phir le aaya dil...Majboor kya kije?
Raas na aaya...Rehna door kya kije?

Arnav drove the car in silence while Khushi watched the rain knocking on the windows.

"Where are you staying?" She finally broke the silence. 

"Not far from here" He replied. 

"Hotel?" She asked.

"Yes" He answered. 

Khushi stopped talking after that.

Another five minutes passed by and Arnav's cell phone started ringing. 

"At what time? 9:45 a.m.? Wasn't there anything earlier than this? I want the first flight out" He said in the bluetooth. Khushi purposely kept her face neutral as if she couldn't hear him. 

"Talk to them, then. And keep me posted" He said and disconnected. 

More silence prevailed. 

"That's my hotel" Arnav said, pointing to the approaching building. 

"Oh. I can get down here and catch a taxi. You don't have to drive me all the way to my home. You have a morning flight" Khushi said.

Arnav looked at her with undecipherable eyes. 

"What?" She said.

"Nothing" He replied and hit the brakes. The car stopped in front of the building. Khushi realized that he was really dropping her here. She couldn't help but feel a little angry. He didn't even insist once to drop her to her house. Then what was the need to offer the ride if he was so desperate to get rid of her? 

Both of them stepped out of the car and a man appeared out of nowhere to take Arnav's car keys. Arnav gave him the keys and the car was taken to parking. 

Khushi stood at the gate with Arnav and rain kept pouring, drenching both of them.

"You think you'll get a taxi in this weather?" He asked her. Khushi looked at him with angry eyes. If he knows so much why didn't he drop her all the way to her house?

"Don't act you care an inch about that. Just go. I"ll manage" She replied, letting the anger slip into her tone. The rain kept hitting them.

"Come up" He said and looked at her.

Khushi didn't know if she heard him correctly.  Did he say 'come up'?

"We should talk" He further said. 

"Did you purposely bring me here?" She asked him, realizing that he knew his hotel will come before her house. 

"Does it matter? Now you're here and I am here. Let's go up. You can get dry, have coffee and then we should talk. I am leaving tomorrow. That's the least you can do for an old friend" He said and for the first time in the night Khushi saw the crack. There was no arrogance. Only a request.

She thought for a minute. What would it mean if she agrees to go up to his hotel room? Would it mean she is ready to listen to him? Would any explanation bring back the lost time? Will an apology heal her pain? 

"No" she said. 

Arnav's face became expressionless at her outright refusal. She knew it would have taken him effort to ask her to come up to the room and talk. But, no amount of talking was going to change anything. He'll still leave in the morning. She'll still be engaged to someone else. Wisdom lies in walking down the paths they both are already on. Their roads do not meet.

"Thanks for the lift" She said again and started walking away.

The rain by now had thickened and was coming down in heavy showers. 

Khushi had barely taken three steps when she felt Arnav coming after her. 

She turned back at once to admonish him but found him right in front of her. Barely an inch away from her face, looking at her with restrained fury.

"I am leaving tomorrow. You don't have a few hours for me?" His words came out angry and accusing, his eyes boring holes in her face.

"It's your decision to leave. Mine is to go home. Now" Khushi answered, fuming at his audacity. He is the man who left without so much as a goodbye. And standing here, he demands her to give him a few hours? For what? So that he can leave her again tomorrow? 

Arnav ran a hand through his dripping hair. 

"Khushi.."

"I am booking a cab, Arnav. Kindly excuse me!" She said, removing her phone from her clutch and noticed that it was half soaked as well. Damn the rain! Damn her! Why did she have to ask him to not drop her till the house? Why did he have to agree? In fact, why did she have to agree to come with him in the first place? He hadn't forced her to come with him. What was she thinking then?

"That's enough, Khushi! Come up with me. You're gonna get sick standing here" He said again, snatching the phone from her hands. Khushi looked at him with a scathing glare. 

"This phone is going to be dead in five minutes. Stop being stubborn" He continued regardless of her angry look. And despite all her anger, Khushi knew he was right. At least about the phone. The phone's battery was almost dead. Maybe she can go up with him. What will be the harm? She can use his phone and call Lavanya to come get her.

Deciding that, she extended her palm and nodded stiffly. He placed her phone back in her hand and started walking inside the hotel. She followed in silence.

After three minutes, they stepped outside the elevator and Arnav directed her to the only room on the floor. A complete floor for just one person? What a waste of space! 

While Arnav opened the door with a keycard Khushi decided she'll dash straight to the phone.

She was not going to spend another second here than necessary. 

Light flooded the room as Arnav pressed some buttons and Khushi found him standing face to face with her.

She instantly stepped away.

"I'd like to use the phone. And a charger until someone comes to pick me up" She said looking at the walls, ignoring his presence.

But he didn't speak a word or move a muscle. He just stood there looking at her and Khushi finally looked at him. In his eyes. A cloud of emotions had gathered in his eyes. She could feel it forming in her eyes as well. She looked away and then realized she was dripping all over the carpet. So was he. 

"A towel will be good" She said.

He still didn't move or stop looking. What in hell was going through his mind? She thought.

"Towel, Arnav!" She repeated, this time a little loudly.

He seemed to finally hear and instantly turned his eyes away from her. And then walked off.

Khushi didn't turn to look where he went.

In ten seconds, he came back with two towels. He handed her one.

Khushi took it wordlessly and started with her head. The lehenga she had worn was sticking to her like a second skin. She realized she was literally on display. Was that why he we was staring? Her cheeks became red at the thought. She didn't know he still cared to look.

She too looked at him stealthily. He was removing his socks. The shoes were already removed. It felt strange. To see him barefooted after so long. There was something intimate about seeing him standing there, wearing the wet shirt and a trouser, water dripping from his hair.

She looked away and wiped her hands and legs. Then she looked at the phone. It was dead. Great.

"I need to charge this" She said.

"Here" He extended his palm to take her phone. She carefully placed it on his palm, avoiding any contact at all.

He went to a corner and plugged the phone into charging.

Then he came back to her.

"Coffee?" He asked.

"Yes. By then the phone will also start" She said.

Khushi thought he'll call room service but he disappeared into what looked a kitchen.

Was he going to make the coffee?

Khushi started looking around. There was a packed bag placed in a corner. He was leaving tomorrow. She couldn't help but keep thinking that. What was she doing here? What if someone finds out? 

"Make yourself comfortable, Khushi" his voice came from the kitchen.

Khushi avoided a laugh. Comfortable and with him around? Good joke.

She decided to go check what he was doing.

She walked up to him. He was pouring the coffee in cups. She didn't know what came upon her but she kept walking until she stood exactly behind him. 

He stopped pouring the coffee as if he sensed her there.

He turned to look at her. And there it was! The same emotion she had seen so often in his eyes before he left. The one he had been hiding so well in the party tonight.

"I shouldn't be here" She said, shaking her head.

"Tell me about your fiance" He said.

Was this what he wanted to talk about? Her fiance?

Fine, then.

"You know him" She said. Arnav's face became expressionless. Khushi wished she didn't enjoy it but she did. He deserves this.

"Who?" The word was a whisper yet a demand.

"NK" She replied.

She watched the disbelief, the anger, the hurt!

"Shyam's brother?" He asked tightly.

"The one and only" she replied and side-stepping him, she reached for the coffee mug.

If Shyam Manohar Jha was a money-loving bas***d, NK was an absolute womanizer. 

"Why?" He asked her. 

"He's changed" Khushi answered. She really hoped he had. The marriage had been arranged by her family. She barely had a say in it. But, obviously she wasn't going to tell him that.

Arnav stared hard at her. It had been crushing for him to know that she had been engaged and he had deliberately avoided any efforts to know who she was engaged to. But, NK? How can she marry a man like NK? Arnav had met him once or twice in board meetings. The man was an absolute nightmare for girls. Did she not know that? Didn't Anjali tell her about her brother-in-law?

"Are you trying to ruin your life, Khushi?" He asked sharply. She simply sipped the coffee. Was she doing this purposely? Why?

"Everyone has a past, Arnav. And NK proposed to me. In my office. In front of everyone" Khushi was sure he had done that to pressure her into saying yes because she had asked for some time to think in their first meeting.

But, to his credit, he had never tried to be inappropriate with her. Maybe he really was a changed man. 

"He is a bloody womanizer. You think he loves you? You think he'll stay loyal to you?" Arnav demanded, shooting anger from his eyes. Khushi could see he wanted to break something. Why did he care so much?

"Carefully, Arnav! He is my fiance. And there is never a guarantee who will be loyal, who will stay and who will leave" She said, looking at him with a piercing gaze and placing the empty coffee mug on the kitchen slab with a loud noise.

Arnav looked at her back. Had she...? Did she...? No. She wouldn't do this.

"Did you agree to this marriage to get back at me, Khushi?" He asked her, the truth dawning upon him.

In a second, Khushi stopped seeing logic.

"Why in HELL will I want to get back at you, Arnav? For what, huh?" She was enraged.

And then Arnav saw it. It was on her face, in her anger. She had knowingly agreed to ruin her life, well aware that this would hurt him.

Oh, Khushi! Arnav felt a heaviness in his heart. And he did feel hurt. He felt pain. 

"Khushi" In a second, he had reached her and cupped her face in his hands.

She tried to struggle away but he held her.

"I am so sorry" He said the words and she stopped struggling. Tears lined her eyes.

"I hate you" She said. 

"I know, Khushi. I know" He said and she watched as his lips slowly reached to her cheeks. He softly kissed away the tear drop that had fallen on her cheek.

When he looked again in her eyes, still cupping her face, Khushi's eyes remained fixed on his lips. They had never kissed. He had never taken things so far. It was one of the things she had liked about him. He used to torment her with his looks, grazing touches but he knew the limits. He had known she wasn't ready. And by the time she was, he had decided to leave.

Can they cross that limit now? Will it make things worse? What could be worse than where they already were?

Khushi looked at his eyes. She could see he was thinking the same.

"Khushi..I.." He began.

"I know" She said. And just like that, his lips found hers. A slow, delicate brush against her mouth that jolted electricity in her body. She shivered and he pressed his lips more upon hers.

Her arms found his waist and circled them. He pulled her closer, his lips gently yet firmly moving upon her lips. Maybe she moaned. Maybe he did. And, in the next second, she felt something softer, warmer on her lips. She realized it was his tongue.  It danced upon her lips, silently seeking permission. She whimpered and her one hand found itself reaching for his hair. She ran her fingers through them.

She kissed him back with equal passion. Months of bottled emotions flowed openly between them. She felt his hands moving up and down her back until they finally came to rest on her nape, deepening the kiss.
There was fire in her body. And in his.

Both of them looked at each other as Arnav slowly pulled back a little. His lips had turned swollen. How long had they been kissing? He placed a thumb on her lower lip and sensually wiped it. She wanted to kiss him again at the very moment. His darkened gaze seemed to want the same thing.

But there was a phone ringing somewhere. His. But, he didn't move to get it.

He leaned in again and placed a slow kiss on her lips again. Khushi let him. She closed her eyes and tried to memorize the feeling.

The phone kept ringing.

Arnav pulled back again and looked at her.

"Go, get it" She said.

He went. She watched him go and receive the call.

"Yes, Aman? 6:50 am?" He asked and looked at her. 

Khushi tried not to feel the disappointment. A kiss doesn't change the situation. She knew that. 

"Okay. Yes, Good night" He said and disconnected. And stood there.

"Is my phone charged?" She asked.

He looked at her quizzically. 

"I have to make a call" She said.

He listened and stood still.

Khushi moved to the corner her phone was on charging and turned it back on. Silence prevailed in the room.

26 missed calls. 10 from home. 7 from Lavanya. 9 from NK. 

And a string of text messages.

She called home.

"Yes, Amma. Got stuck in the rain. In an hour. No, I am okay. Battery died. Yes. Will talk later. Bye. Haan, Okay" She said in the phone.

Before she even disconnected, NK's call was already in waiting.

"Hello, NK" She said softly but she knew Arnav was listening every single word.

"I will reach in an hour. Got stuck in rain. You don't have to. Who said that? No, I am not with Arnav. I told you Anjali sent the car. I will talk to you tomorrow. Bye. Good night" Khushi said and disconnected.

Then she turned towards Arnav.

"Lavanya saw me leaving with you. She told NK when he asked her" She supplied.

Arnav didn't speak.

"I am booking a cab" She said and taking her phone, sat down on a couch.

"Khushi" Arnav's voice reached her. She looked up to find him standing in front of the couch where she sat.

"Yes?" She replied, looking back in the phone. There were some cabs in the nearby area.

"Will it change anything if I say I am sorry?" 

Khushi's fingers stopped running on the phone's screen. She straightened her back and looked at him.

"Sorry for what?" She asked slowly. 

"For leaving" He said, sitting before the couch, on the floor upon his knees. He was now on a face to face level with her. She could see his eyes clearly. The same brown eyes that always made her heart flutter.

She looked at him and then at the ring on her finger.

"Your sorry cannot undo the last twelve months, Arnav" She answered, looking directly at his somber face.

He slowly nodded his head and stood up.

"So, this is it?" He asked.

"Yes" She replied, standing up as well.

Arnav breathed sharply at her affirmation and turned away from her.

She could see his body was rigid and his hands clenched. Wouldn't he even look at her now?

She told herself not to cry. They had already lost their chance when he had left her all alone, never to look back.

"Bye" She said.

He didn't respond.

She began to walk away clutching her phone with both the hands. Tears threatened her eyes once again.

"I am sorry, Khushi" She heard him say. The words broke whatever was left of her and she ran to the door. Without hesitating a second, she opened the door wide open to leave.

"Khushi" She heard Arnav speak again and coming after her but her legs had already stopped moving. She stood frozen in her place at the door.

Outside the door stood NK, looking at her with burning eyes.

Edited by Pearl_Oyster - 5 years ago

Chapter 3

"Karte hain hum aaj qabool kya keeje
Ho gayi thi jo humse bhool kya keeje
Dil keh raha use mayassar kar bhi aao
Wo jo dabi si aas baaki hai
Wo jo dabi si aanch baaki hai.."

"So, this is it?" He asked.

"Yes" She answered.

No. His heart wrenched in response. To hide the pain, he turned away from her. He had already feared this for a long time now and had been aware that hearing her confirm it will only break his hopeless, foolish heart. But he had been wrong. It didn't just break his heart, it shattered it into a hundred pieces. He found himself unable to speak or think for a moment.

But, she spoke again.

"Bye"

That single word was enough to rattle him and make him realize that this was THE moment. Earlier, he had stepped out of her life. But this time, she was stepping out of his life and for good. He will never see her again or hear her beautiful voice.

"I am sorry, Khushi He said. Because he was sorry and he was selfish. He had hurt her, he had walked away from her and yet he cannot not let her do the same to him. He cannot bear to be apart from her anymore. He will not leave this city once again with nothing in his hand.

He cannot undo his mistakes but he will be damned if he let Khushi repeat the same mistake. She can punish him all she wants but not like this. He will not let her leave.

But from the sound of it, she was leaving. He heard her footsteps running away from him and by the time he turned back, she was almost at the door.

"Khushi" He called after her once again, quickly chasing after her as she opened the door wide open. And stopped! Did she change her mind?

No. Arnav discovered the reason of her frozen legs when he reached her side.

There stood Nand Kishor Jha in the doorway staring at Khushi with angry, contemptful eyes and then those eyes slowly moved to him. Arnav's face instantly shifted expression and became as unreadable as possible. This will be...interesting.

"Not with Arnav, huh?" NK spoke, moving his eyes back to Khushi whose face had lost all colour.

Arnav waited for Khushi to speak. He shall speak when he needs to because he had already made up his mind about how this was going to end.

"Let us please go from here, NK. I can explain on the way" Khushi said in a nervous tone, looking at NK with a pleading face. Arnav had to resist himself from intervening upon hearing her words.

So, she was planning to stick by her "fiance"? He couldn't say that didn't prick him.

NK, on the other hand, laughed upon hearing Khushi's pleading words.

"Explain? You think I want to hear the details of what you were doing inside his room at this hour? Spare me the bullshit, Khushi. Just admit that you slept with this bast**d NK's words had Khushi reeling in shock and anger.

Arnav, on the other hand, decided he had heard enough and stepped forward until he stood right in front of NK.

"Be careful of what you say next, NK because I can't tell you how much I have been itching to smash in the face of a Jha lately. Don't give me the satisfaction" Arnav's words were a warning which made NK's face turn into a grimace.

"You dare threaten me after you have been caught red-handed with MY FIANCE in your room?" NK growled, glaring at Arnav.

"Nothing happened, NK. Arnav is just an old friend. Please believe me. Let us go. I will tell you everything on the way" Khushi again cut in in an urgent tone. She also looked at Arnav with imploring eyes to not say anything.

Arnav looked back at her with bold defiance in his eyes which made Khushi further confused and worried. Why was he doing this? Why can't he let her leave with some dignity?

"I have known more girls in my life than you can count, Khushi. You think you can lie to me? I know that face. It's the guilt face. So, stop lying! If I wanted another who*e for myself, I would have married one of my girlfriends. But, I thought you were different. I thought you had a good character. But No..You too turned out to be like those same desperate girls who can do anything for money. You too are a sl*t who..."

NK couldn't speak further as Arnav's fist connected with his face.

"You still think he is a changed man? Arnav turned to Khushi in a sharp voice while NK reeled back from the pain.

"You assh*le! I am gonna kill you" NK launched back but Arnav was ready. He caught NK's punch in his hand and shoved him away.

"If you don't want your ass hauled to prison, leave now" Arnav said to NK while Khushi watched in shock.

NK stood up again and touched the cut on his face.

"And before you go, let me tell you this, NK. You were right. Khushi was in my room. I brought her here. I kissed her. And I love her. So, forget about your dreams of marrying her. Now, leave before I call the security" Arnav finished. He purposely didn't look in Khushi's direction full aware that she was staring at him.

"You will pay for this later" NK said as he stepped back.

"Can't wait" Arnav said but NK was already walking down the corridor.

Arnav then stepped inside and locked the door. Then, slowly, he turned back to look at Khushi.

She was still staring at him, eyes shooting daggers.

"Khus.." He began but she pushed him away.

"How dare you, Arnav!" She shouted in blind anger.

Arnav simply looked at her, at her enraged face and her hard eyes.

"You broke my engagement! What will I say to my parents? Who do you think you are!" She placed her hands on his chest and pushed him again. He let her.

"Who are you to decide who I shall marry? Who are you to judge?" She shouted again, pushing him again. But, this time, Arnav caught her hands mid-air, holding them firm.

"I am the man who is deeply, desperately and madly in love with you! Did you not hear that?" He shouted back, looking at her face, still holding her hands in his.

Khushi's face became stiff and her hands went limp. Seeing that, Arnav softly let her hands go.

"You're a liar! You don't love me. You never loved me. If you had, you wouldn't have left" She said, not shouting but her voice was still loud and accusatory.

"Yes, I left. I messed up everything. But, that does not change the fact that I loved you then and I love you now. I will not repeat the same mistake, Khushi. And I won't let you repeat it too. If I ran away then, you're running away now. Please, don't do it. I can tell you by experience that no amount of distance will erase what I feel for you or what you feel for me! It will just make both of us miserable for the rest of our goddamned lives. So, don't forgive me, Khushi. But, give me a second chance. I need you, I want you, and I most certainly love you" Arnav said all in one breath and hoped to god she would believe him.

If she left, he knew he would spend his rest of his life in guilt and pain. To get love and to lose it because of your own stupid mistakes would be too big a burden for him to bear.

Khushi heard his words and processed them slowly.

"So, you won't leave in the morning? Or the day after that and the day after that? You will stay?" She asked, as if in trance.

Was this really happening? Was Arnav really telling her that he loves her? He wants to be with her? He will stay here for her?

"The only way I can leave you, Khushi, is by leaving this world. Rest anywhere I go, you go with me" He replied and his words made her heart grow painfully large. But, it was a welcomed pain and she smiled through it.

"But you booked tickets..Your flight.. Khushi didn't get to finish what she knew were silly words after his declaration. Arnav moved to her in a quick stride and sealed her mouth, covering it with his lips.

"I love you" He said again through the kiss and Khushi found her hands circling him once again. Her insides felt wobbly and she whimpered as his lips continued moving passionately over hers.

"Khushi, do you?" She barely heard him ask, his passion having driven away her senses.

When she didn't answer, he pulled away from her and looked at her face with an intensity so deep she thought she would melt. Those chocolate brown eyes were filled with love and hope.

"Do you, Khushi? He asked her again, needing to hear her confirmation.

She nodded her head.

"Say it" He demanded her, his fingers brushing against her cheek, his eyes fixed on her face.

Khushi shook her head, still feeling too overwhelmed by his admission and all that had transpired in the last ten minutes.

"You don't love me or you won't say it?" He asked and Khushi could see he knew the answer. Yet, he was wanted to hear it from her. Khushi looked at him and then at their bodies that were practically wrapped into each other. Khushi marveled at how right it felt. Being close to him felt right. Hearing him proclaim his love to her felt her right!

"Khushi" He whispered her name again and she looked back at him, in his eyes that called out to her.

"Promise me that you will never leave" She asked him.

"I promise, Khushi" He replied with utmost sincerity, without blinking.

"Promise me that you will always share your problems with me" She asked.

"I promise" He replied again, not breaking the eye contact.

"I love you" She said.

She watched the smile appear and then grow on his face. It was the most beautiful thing she had seen in a long time. He was the most beautiful thing.

"I love you, Arnav" She said again, hugging him, resting her head on his broad shoulders while he breathed in her scent. She really was in his arms. No distances between them. Except one thing!

Khushi watched as his hands slowly travelled to her hands and caught them in his. He touched her palm and looked at the ring on it.

"I would love nothing more than to get rid of this" He said and looked at her. She slowly dipped her head and taking that as her approval he began to remove the ring from her finger.

Khushi watched him remove it and then he started to observe it carefully. She watched the surprise appear on his face.

"Khushi..this is..?" He said, looking at the ring in shock and then at her. She could see that he was struggling to find words.

"Yes" She softly whispered.

"How?" He asked, his voice trembling with loaded emotions.

"Nani gave it to me a day before she left us" Khushi replied, lifting the ring from Arnav's palm. It was his mother's ring which was held by Devyani Singh Raizada after Arnav's mother had passed away.

In a way, the ring had belonged to two people Arnav cared most about in his life, his mother and his Nani.

"Why didn't I know about this? Why didn't she tell me" Arnav said, looking at Khushi with surprise.

"I don't know why she didn't tell you. While giving me the ring she asked me to always keep it with myself. She said this ring was her blessing to me, to us. So, I kept it. And when it was my engagement, I..I needed something to hold on to. I want a shred of my old life in the new life I was about to start. So,  I got this ring cleaned and polished. That's why you couldn't recognize it at first. The jeweller also made minor changes in it. See Khushi revealed with a somber face, turning the ring and showing the inner lining of it to Arnav.

Arnav took the ring and looked at it carefully. There was a name scribbled inside it.

"Arnav" He read it and then looked at Khushi, eyes full of emotions.

"I know it was wrong...but I wanted something of yours..so..I told NK the ring was close to me and he agreed to slip it on my finger on the day of the engagement..I knew I was horrible person for doing this and I felt so guilty, Arnav but I.. Khushi tried to explain with broken words and downcast eyes that were filling with tears. She didn't notice the moisture that was beginning to appear in Arnav's eyes as well.

"It's okay, Khushi. You don't have to feel guilty. I can understand why you did it. It's all my mistake. I should be the one feeling guilty and ashamed. Nani gave this ring to you. She said it was her blessing. Even she knew that the two of us..that we were right for each other. She wanted us to be together. And what did I do? I used her death as a reason to run away from everything." Arnav said and Khushi felt lightened by his words. She could see how moved he was and how sorry he felt for doing what he did.

"Both of us were stupid. I could have told you about the ring after Nani was gone. I knew how much you missed her. But, I didn't think so much would happen so soon. But, it doesn't matter now" Khushi replied and Arnav nodded.

"Thank you, Khushi. For everything" He said and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. Khushi closed her eyes and savored the feel. Then Arnav stepped away and Khushi was taken by surprise as he got on his knees.

What was he doing?

"Marry me" He said, holding the ring in his fingers.

Khushi looked at him with wide eyes.

"Arnav..you don't have to.." She said.

"Please, Khushi. Marry me. I can't wait another day to make you mine. I should have done this way earlier but you know me. I am slow in the matters of heart. Please wear this ring again. This time for the right reasons! For us! I want you to accept this ring. I want you to be my better-half, my full circle. I want to call you mine and I want to belong to you. So, tell me, Khushi! Will you marry me? Arnav asked with a choked throat and happy tears finally rolled down Khushi's eyes.

"Yes" She said between her tears, a large smile on her lips.

"I will marry you" She said and Arnav placed the ring on her finger. Then he stood up and pulled her once again into his arms. They hugged and smiled. Rest of the problems could be dealt together, they decided. For now, it was their moment and they were incandescently happy in it.

Note: So, this wraps up here. There won't be any more chapters and I apologize to those who wanted more. Sorry, friends. 😳 I just want to thank you for reading and adding more joy to this experience of writing again. You are amazing for your enthusiasm and patience in reading the chapters. It always encourages me to share whatever little something I write in my spare time. So, thank you for being here. ❤️ 

If I write anything again, I shall come back again. Until then, take care and stay happy. 🤗

PS: Happy Dussehra in Advance to all of you. ⭐️

Kiran

Edited by Pearl_Oyster - 4 years ago
Awesome .. How he distanced himself from everyone ..He himself seems not happy but still
Nice start...looking forward...
Loved the first chapter.
Eager for the next part.
He just up and left so no-one owes him anything. Who is Khushi engaged to?
AMAZING...😊
I am a big fan of your stories... you write very well and the way you expalin the situation...👏 
I am waiting When and How Arshi will express their feelings...and yes, of course I  think there will be some romantic moments of them...
Write soon...will wait for the next chapter...
awesome update yar 
Arnav himself wanted to go away from everyone including khushi...she was heartbroken that time..but to whom she is engaged to 
Awesome can't wait to read other chapters