IIT: Brain Drain or lack of opportunity? - Page 4

Posted: 17 years ago
Originally posted by sareg

When you have been taught to design a Ferrari, would you rather look for a job to fix a Toyota Corolla?

There are plenty of GOOD job opportunities in India as well. If these people were paid the same in India as they are in foreign countries.. would they ever leave? Of course not. As far as I know.. IITians in India are payed pretty well.

Even if they leave for money, fine, thats their problem. But I dont think its right to tag their decision to leave due to a 'lack of opportunities'.

Originally posted by Selina

There are plenty of GOOD job opportunities in India as well. If these people were paid the same in India as they are in foreign countries.. would they ever leave? Of course not. As far as I know.. IITians in India are payed pretty well.

Even if they leave for money, fine, thats their problem. But I dont think its right to tag their decision to leave due to a 'lack of opportunities'.

I agree lack of opputunities is partly a wrong concept. It is the pay and the grants that shift them. Govt pays you a paltry salary... so you finally are forced to go to the industry. You want to do research but are not provided proper grants by the govt. Again Industry is ready to pay that research grant but finally they want you join their company and end result... you finally end up going abroad as thats their final objective. That is a precondition maybe not on papers.

Originally posted by Bhaskar.T

Sareg Bhai these laws won't ever have any effect in India atleast. There will be some way out to side step the same law and go abroad. Are the doctors in West Bengal follwoing the same. Law has been made that they are supposed to do one year in remote areas. How many go to actual remote ones. You have connections you can get posted easily in semi rural areas. Do one year and you are done with the law. Even those who take up job in remote areas just visit maybe twice a week.

The only way out is giving them incentives. There are many who would love to do govt service after getting IIT degree but the salary stops them. Give them the proper salary. You can't expect everyone to have missionary vission. One reason that now IIT's have started this entepreneurships. Anyone be it staff or students can carry on their own work too. A percentage goes into the IIT funds rest is yours. But they don't help much in the long run. Govt. finally need to come forward and provide the proper funding. Thats the only way out to stop this so called brain drain.

Not really Bhaskar... AFMC is considered the second best medical college in India after AIMS... Yet you dont have many going there... The reason being a five year bond which they are required to sign promising that they will wor for the defence forces for the next 5 years.. This dissuades those who want to go abroad soona after their MBBS... And only those who are ready to render service are allowed...

Why not introduce the same rule in the IITs?? Not 5 years.. But atleast a couple of years?? Considering the money and time tht India is spending on IIT-ians, the output we are getting is hardly anything... Other than perhaps some foreign exchange that is obtained out of IIT-ians serving other countries.... After getting educated here...

So why not restrict the IITs to those who are ready to do the "voluntary service" as some would call it...