Some interesting bits from historical documents.

Posted: 5 years ago
.'

What lofty airs his friends and bodyguards were wont to display over the wealth bestowed by him, is plain from a letter which Olympias wrote to him. She says: "I beg thee to find other ways of conferring favours on those thou lovest and holdest in honour; as it is, thou makest them all the equals of kings and providest them with an abundance of friends, whilst thyself thou strippest bare." 8 Olympias often wrote him in like vein, but Alexander kept her writings secret, except once when Hephaestion, as was his wont, read with him a letter which had been opened; the king did not prevent him, but took the ring  p343 from his own finger and applied its seal to the lips of Hephaestion...

'Thy mother the most terrible' to which the king yelled: Punishable by death; take your tongue down Hephaestion''

To his mother, also, he sent many presents, but would not suffer her to meddle in affairs nor interfere in his campaigns; and when she chided him for this, he bore her harshness patiently. 13 Once, however, after reading a long letter which Antipater had written in denunciation of her, he said Antipater knew not that one tear of a mother effaced ten thousand letters such these. Then the king tore the letters into hundred pieces.

Alexander then ordered Antipater to be punished for denuncing his mother.

Bold: threat to hephestion over a joke about olympias...😲

Edited by luckySnow - 5 years ago
Roxane killing of steitera aka Barsine 

6 Now, Roxana was with child, and on this account was held in honour among the Macedonians; but she was jealous of Stateira, and therefore deceived her by a forged letter into coming where she was, and when she had got her there, slew her, together with her sister, threw their bodies into the well, and filled the well with earth.

Even after Roxane was declared as empress she killed barsine 🥺 what a terrible death she gave to Barsine who was seven months pregnant with Alexander child ..I thought there were no record of Roxane killing of Barsine but I was wrong
Most of this account is word for word as written in the "Journals." 2 And as for suspicions of poisoning, no one had any immediately, 707but five  p437 years afterwards, as we are told, upon information given, Olympias put many men to death, and scattered abroad the ashes of Iolas, alleging that he had administered the poison
The first letter from Olly means that Alexander shouldn't give gifts to his generals ... They are not kings. And he should keep his wealth to himself ...

Journal547In a letter to his mother, Alexander was claiming himself to be the son of Zeus, Ammon, olympias decided to write back, and she joked that Alexander was getting her into trouble with Hera...
The young king was suddenly filled with concern for his mother and went to the prophets (Alex 8.4) of Ammon for her good health.

Hera wife of Zeus...

Here is the link if anyone wants to read all these ...language is tough...went over my head😭

http://www.attalus.org/names/a/alexander.html

This

It's hephestion or hephaestion or haphestian so confusing 
Olympias is most conflicting character I have ever read tbh
Originally posted by luckySnow

Journal547In a letter to his mother, Alexander was claiming himself to be the son of Zeus, Ammon, olympias decided to write back, and she joked that Alexander was getting her into trouble with Hera...
The young king was suddenly filled with concern for his mother and went to the prophets (Alex 8.4) of Ammon for her good health.

Hera wife of Zeus...

Alexander was only 23 yr old boy...so one can understand his fear ...can't be called superstitious here  😆

Poor boy never mentioned himself as son of Zeus again...on the contrary he asked sasygambis to not address him as son of Zeus

Alexander I son of olympias, these words are strange and useless; I do not seek that men should honour me as they do the gods, for I am a mortal man, and I am afraid of anything like this, for there is a heavy penalty for a man when he goes beyond his proper limit I applaud you and praise your knowledge, for when I made trial of your wisdom it pleased me ; and I wrote a letter to Olympias my mother and begged of her the favour that she would come to my marriage feast, if it so pleased her."
To Roxane
''First of all be pleasing to the gods ; then pay due reverence to rndokht and Esthar, and hold them in honour ; and fear thou the command of Olympias my mother, and do not exalt thyself beyond measure. If thou doest these things, both I and thou shall be praised exceedingly and all the gods be well pleased with us.And try yourself to think thoughts worthy of Alexander and to honour the awe inspiring authority of Olympias. If you observe these directions, you will bring great glory to yourself and to me. Farewell. " Then Alexander took Rshnk to wife.

Rndokht is sasygambis and esthar is Barsine