Silsila Badalte Rishton Ka

Is Kunal a feminist?

Y12345 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
Trying to understand the Kunal despite flawed writing( Is he really a feminist?) 

Shakti is a good actor and he used to be very humble and is a good person as well, but I been so disappointed by his acting. I mean his character characterization is weak, that I failed to connect with Kunal.. They didnt even give Kunal/Shakti great solo scenes,and they reduced his character to some teenager. Kunal is beyond redemption for me and same goes N and this post is not justifying his actions but understanding if cvc reduced his character from a feminist to displaying toxic masculinity.
Anyway moving on to his character Kunal and the feminist angle:
I remember initially, in articles, media praised the feminist angle in this story and the fresh dialogues and now where are we? 
Kunal was introduced as a feminist, always supporting his wife, and treating his wife as equal while Rajdeep, was introduced as a ruthless sexist character, who treated his wife as his property, sexual object, raped her and what not. Two different worlds until both collide:

My two cents on this very briefly.

So is Kunal really a feminist? 
Was he only being a feminist because of the benefits that came with it example Mauli sharing the household burden financially, what has changed in his character?

He did disagreed with how N was treated( we all condemn that) but was there subtle sexism on his part as well?
- He expecting his wife to sleep with her as if its her duty as a wife and she has no right to decide what happens to her body, and the next moment, he sleeps with her wife's bestie, ( because she couldn't fulfill his demands or as people on forum puts it:  his lusty -"divine" hormones?)
- Many people pointed out that Mauli is bossy and therefore partly/completely/surely responsible for the breakdown of the relationship. I do not agree with that, sure there is a fine line between being bossy, but I think society condemns women for being bossy( or should we say it: having independent thoughts/ taking their own decisions with their brain) because being bossy is a characteristic of masculinity. So with Mauli around, did that hurt Kunal ego?
Now, Kunal has been raised by strong women, I guess, and has a strong independent wife but it seems that saving N has been an ego boost for him. So, did he really consider women as equals, or thought women needs saving? 

What I can see is that when M was with K, K was a feminist, he treated his wife as equal, I felt it was genuine but the moment, he held N's hand, he drifted, and is slowly becoming like R. R torture was physical(though with emotional effects) while K's is purely emotional. Emotional abuse, a silent form of domestic violence. If R is a criminal for raping his wife( though marital rape is not widely recognized under indian law), K is also a criminal and guilty of adultery punishable by law(adultery law is gender bias but we are not getting in that for now).
The point is that, M made him a better person. M bonded with him emotionally, their relationship wasn't purely physical, like with N. With N, it was lust, he was only impressed by her cooking, dancing, dressing skills. I remember in first episodes, we saw Kunal happy with M, but with N, he isn't, what he does, is hugging shivering vibrator N. Women can also be sexist, and dragging him along with him.

A lot has been said on this forum about N character, and yes, N and M are different people. K now wants a submissive woman, who would do anything for him, and has no identity of her own. K now doesnt want a strong woman who would do anything for him but as equals. He doesn't want a partnership but ownership(like R). I see it that way. He feels glad to fix N, but won't take the time to fix his own married life if he feels there is something missing. He doesn't need a woman who would walk hand in hand beside him, he wants a woman who will dress up for him, or cook for him, and be willing to jump in bed anytime with him.He doesn't want a strong woman who will not accept being treated unfairly, but prefers a woman, emotionally weak who he can twist and mould how he wants. He isn't that dumb, he knows N is easy, because she is submissive, lives in lala land,( and think she is independent because her earings match with her saree) which is why he had an EMA with her because she will accept anything. If M was in N's place, she would have slapped K the first time, he confessed. K knows he can control N, and that's why he was two-timing, and he doesn't view N as equal. 

N isn't a victim for sure. She WAS a victim but M rescued her,( different story if she doesnt have any guilt) yet she is playing the victim card. All she wants is men, and this is it. She is submissive and wears it as a badge of honor, and won't hesitate to spread venom behind her white mask. 

M didnt need a man to survive. That breakdown scene of M is symbolic, he doesnt need K to hold her, because she can face the world on her own. She doesnt need man, she can find her own light even if she has been broken to pieces.

Okay, this is out of subject, and this got me thinking while writing this but do guys like strong and independent women or they think it's too hard to handle? Or is it like Silsila, like they have fun with independent women but love and marry only women like N? Is this the way around, what about women? Do they view their partner as equal?
Ending this on this quote, "a man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality"

And I don't think K is a man of quality. For him, him this quote applies, 

If you see a woman that has everything going for herself and you are not ready to add value to her life... just admire her from afar. PLEASE don't interrupt her greatness.

Looks like i got carried away haha. I will edit it if needed because I can be totally wrong.

So is Kunal indeed a feminist? Let me know your views. Constructive views. 

NOTE: Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve political, economic, personal, and social equality of sexes

Edited by Y12345 - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MrDarcyfan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
No to me, Kunal is not a feminist. He also objectifies women and likes Damsel in distress who cooks! He proved he was a chauvinist just like most guys by dumping his wife for a Bimbo like Nandani who has nothing going for her other than her looks! 

That's my two cents on it. 
Y12345 thumbnail
Originally posted by: MrDarcyfan

No to me, Kunal is not a feminist. He also objectifies women and likes Damsel in distress who cooks! He proved he was a chauvinist just like most guys by dumping his wife for a Bimbo like Nandani who has nothing going for her other than her looks! 

That's my two cents on it. 

haha you put everything in like two lines and I agree. Btw when I read  I thought you wrote Barbie at first glance ๐Ÿ˜† but both words are apt.
Edited by Y12345 - 5 years ago
Charaiveti thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Kunal is like those guys who like to think they're progressive n all that n say stuffs like I Will 'allow' u to work after marriage. Abey ja who r u to allow๐Ÿ˜† And them u wear jeans one day n he'll be like oh no no I like Indian on u. His feminism ki limit is limited till his ego permits๐Ÿ˜† he basically says hesh a feminist not cz he genuinely has feminist thinking but cz saying that makes him feel good about himself
Miss-Behave thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 6
He's a fake feminist. Talks about uplifting women, then tears down his own wife emotionally and mentally by giving her the ultimate betrayal. Or maybe he is testing Mauli to see how strong of a woman she is, and sleeping with her best friend is all a plan for him to make Mauli stronger. ๐Ÿ˜†
amortentia15 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Nope he is not...
He tries to garb his insecurities very carefully in the cloak of feminism but at the first chance of playing knight in shining armour his morale and ego both get a massive boost that he gets to play  the MAN And he loves playing hero to perpetually shivering and scared N which can never be true for M...
Which is the reason he fell in lust with N and M ceased to exist for him...

Y12345 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Charaiveti

Kunal is like those guys who like to think they're progressive n all that n say stuffs like I Will 'allow' u to work after marriage. Abey ja who r u to allow ๐Ÿ˜† And them u wear jeans one day n he'll be like oh no no I like Indian on u. His feminism ki limit is limited till his ego permits๐Ÿ˜† he basically says hesh a feminist not cz he genuinely has feminist thinking but cz saying that makes him feel good about himself

yes sis you are right. I love how you said " who are you to allow lol
Ardhanarishwara thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Ask him to be a human first๐Ÿ˜ก
arshi_asya thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
One can't be a feminist if they have criteria to say that one sort of woman is better than other.
Kunal wasn't attracted towards Nandini for her heart or emotions but for her skills that he didn't see in Mauli. And makers haven't proved otherwise till now. 
kiransgirl thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Bear with me: He puts up a good front. The Puritans used to say "the most hated man is the educated man." meaning he knows what people want him to be, he knows how to act, he knows how to play the role. He's a poser.
Kunal would love to be perceived as the ever so evolved good doctor, who believes in equality between the sexes, and all that good stuff. He likes how it looks.
The reality once again is the man is a charlatan. A pretender. Deep down all he wants is a shivering, kheer making, weak, spineless woman, whom he can save. A useless woman like Nandani will forever stroke his ego (and er..other things as well..๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•). he is the enemy of equality. The best snake is the one you see, not the one hiding in the grass