What's with the urge???? - Page 2

Posted: 5 years ago
What's with don't watch if you so hate the characters of the show?
I mean majority audience hates Ross Geller from Friends & they are still vocal about it, that show ended in 2004 & still Ross is criticized, is audience asked not to watch the show?? Was anyone learning to become like Ross. Has David Schwimmer been pointed out- NO. (Friends is still a rage & most watched show even now)

Joffrey-Cersei-Ramsay, few of the most hated characters & audience loves to declare that they hate them, is audience asked to not watch the show? Is audience learning to become like them- NO.

Zayed took a role in Haasil saying that people will love to hate him & God, he was so right. He was outrightly hated & that's what he wanted.

Viraj in Saubhagyavati Bhava was hated to the core & Karanveer took that as a huge compliment to his acting. Audience wasn't asked to stop watching the show. Was audience learning to become like Viraj.

Maya in Beyhadh was hated to the core & Jennifer took it as a huge compliment to her acting. Was audience provoked to become like Maya?

Because apparently, watching brings the TRP, something that matters the most. So, if a show is being watched, there is bound to be criticism. Makers care most about the fact that it is being watched. It's apparently business & criticism is intricate part of it.

People even criticize GOT writers & that's taken as a compliment to their work in order to improve it in future. That's how this works.

And actors here have done a good damn job at making us hate these (Kunal-Nandini) characters & they know about it. They are mature enough at taking this hatred for their character as love for their acting. They were good when they made us connect to Nandini's pain & same is happening now.

What's with watch a show only to appreciate the lead actors in it? People will watch the show & they will criticize it, even hate the characters & be vocal about  it.

Hate to a character=Love for the acting caliber of the actor

And actors know this theory. There are some characters audience loves to hate.

Grey or dark characters are hard to play because of the hatred that comes for the characters & that hatred explains the success of their decision.

So, why is it a problem if characters are hated? Because this hatred explains that the acting is good enough at this point & it's for the writer to improve the script all the more to keep the audience hooked to it. What's with the urge to be appreciated for the characters when the characters are actually meant to be hated & it's actually a compliment for their acting. It's the duty of the story to compel the audience to understand the characters for their actions. For this particular show, makers have done a very shabby job at that. So, it all comes down to writing that makes the certain characters loathsome. 

As for audience liking Mauli- why shouldn't her character be liked? She relates to everyone on a personal note- smart, suave, independent, beautiful, fierce, caring & loving. It's the writing about her that has earned her appreciation & audience'e sentiments just like it did for Nandini in the initial episodes.

Actors don't need to defend/justify the characters they play, nor do they need any audience to defend/justify them, it's the job of story to justify their characters, earn appreciation for them & engage the audience with them. And for that, there are story writers who lead the character development & story forward.

Is that such a hard thing to understand or grasp?  Problem with Indian TV makers & audience is that they find it hard to take criticism for the show. 

For them criticism of characters = bashing. 
But that's not so. 
Edited by arshi_asya - 5 years ago
That's true. Most of the time criticism is taken as bashing. And something which I don't get is the saying of it's just a show so enjoy and don't have problem to see bad shown as right. This is something I never get. Most of viewers watch show because we relate to the story and characters, so if story or characters don't make sense or EMA, rape, etc are shown as something right, of course viewers will have problem and voice out.

Btw, I never got why Ross was hated. Baring few instances, he was a nice guy and Rachel would ruin all his relationships, was selfish and extremely mean. I used to ship Ross & Rachel badly so only tolerated her because of that and because of Anistan's performance. And also, Maya was never hated by majority. She was extremely loved. I don't know if you were online during Beyhadh time to see the craze of that character. Except few who were extra vocal with their hatred for her, everyone was on her side and used to hate the pathetic characters of Arjun, Saanjh and Jhanvi. I think other than her character written very well and always given reasons and justifications to her actions by Cvs, other characters being written really bad and on top of that their wrongs shown to be either as rights, ignored or just never mentioned or just blamed on Maya really helped her getting sympathy and support more. Heck even that Abuser Ashwin was never exposed in the court for his child abuse and was instead blamed on Maya to whitewash him saying she had anger issue as child and nothing was ever mentioned on child abuse or child neglect by her mother in the court.
Originally posted by _Darling_

That's true. Most of the time criticism is taken as bashing. And something which I don't get is the saying of it's just a show so enjoy and don't have problem to see bad shown as right. This is something I never get. Most of viewers watch show because we relate to the story and characters, so if story or characters don't make sense or EMA, rape, etc are shown as something right, of course viewers will have problem and voice out.

Btw, I never got why Ross was hated. Baring few instances, he was a nice guy and Rachel would ruin all his relationships, was selfish and extremely mean. I used to ship Ross & Rachel badly so only tolerated her because of that and because of Anistan's performance. And also, Maya was never hated by majority. She was extremely loved. I don't know if you were online during Beyhadh time to see the craze of that character. Except few who were extra vocal with their hatred for her, everyone was on her side and used to hate the pathetic characters of Arjun, Saanjh and Jhanvi. I think other than her character written very well and always given reasons and justifications to her actions by Cvs, other characters being written really bad and on top of that their wrongs shown to be either as rights, ignored or just never mentioned or just blamed on Maya really helped her getting sympathy and support more. Heck even that Abuser Ashwin was never exposed in the court for his child abuse and was instead blamed on Maya to whitewash him saying she had anger issue as child and nothing was ever mentioned on child abuse or child neglect by her mother in the court.

Even I don't get why Ross is hated,  he had his flaws but Rachel too wasn't holier than thou either. But some are still very vocal about their hatred for him. 

As for Maya, I know of the craze but she was hated at certain times with killing her mother, during false rape case. Otherwise, I loved when she killed Ashwin,  that was justice to my sadistic soul. Grey character in all senses for me. I felt bad on her death. 

But that's not the point. Neither Kunal nor Nandini can be called in grey category right now. Since grey is when you do a bad thing with somewhat just motive. As GOT has many like Dany, Jamie, Tyrion. Kunal doesn't have any just intention neither has Nandini. 

It would be sad if makers lose an opportunity to tell an amazing story with the hasty tracks. 
My theory is this - unless you pay my bills you have no right to tell me anything!!
Exactly the actors are so cool about it.. SA was like dimag kharap ho gaya hai Kunal aur Nandini ka, Mauli andhi ho gayi  hai and they were laughing over it..All of them are seasoned actors and know the backlash and ridicule a negative character faces.. 
And as for others asking me not to watch the serial, they have no right till they are producers of the show.. I pay for my subscriptions and internet and will watch the serial wherever I want and can comeback and criticise and make fun of the characters on a public forum unless people managing the site ask me not to post anything...
Edited by Jiggy7 - 5 years ago
If only what you said was true.. You know very well on this forum the characters don't get criticised but bashed and people who actually enjoy watching those characters get called out and get asked stupid questions like "what if you had a husband/friend like him/her?"
So ya first tell the people to actually criticize. 

Of course not everyone is like this BUT unfortunately the majority is, sorry to the ones who don't judge people who enjoy the story
Some think here that tv shows, movies influence people. If so then it is better to not watch such shows right. Why to get inflenced? 
And criticisism and bashing are two different things. You can critisize in a polite way too..
Originally posted by Lola13

If only what you said was true.. You know very well on this forum the characters don't get criticised but bashed and people who actually enjoy watching those characters get called out and get asked stupid questions like "what if you had a husband/friend like him/her?"
So ya first tell the people to actually criticize. 

Of course not everyone is like this BUT unfortunately the majority is, sorry to the ones who don't judge people who enjoy the story
Very well said ..most of the time here most people basing characters on the name of criticism...
No one is getting influenced with the characters but I think dialogs are something that strike people's mind. As for the message this show isn't giving any but characters are open to judgement by audience on their own. World of SBRK is an imaginary alternate world with audience being part of it. And thus there will be all sort of opinions. 
I don't agree with actors being called upon this since it's their job to play a role as per need but there is a thin line between criticism and bashing and it may often be ruled out. Some things depend on perspective too as well as sensitivity to certain things. 
But hatred for a character isn't a bash in my opinion. Some characters are meant to be hated and some to be loved and it's satisfying to see their fate in the shows. And if that's happening then one has to credit acting for that,  since that isn't an easy job. 

Originally posted by Mamta-Maaneet

Some think here that tv shows, movies influence people. If so then it is better to not watch such shows right. Why to get inflenced? 
And criticisism and bashing are two different things. You can critisize in a polite way too..

Actually people are influenced by some characters which are relatable enough for real. Even though such characters come rarely on TV as most of the times they are stereotypical ones. Many a times in good ways influence happens. This is a personal experience. 
For eg. Sonakshi, Devki, Swadheenta, Anandi, Ishwari, Dadisa  in BV are some of the inspiring characters for many out there.