•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 5 years ago

My own ff re-written since the Charkavartin Ashoka Samrat forum is now closed.

Original Thread link for copyright purposes: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4533430

The characters belong to Contiloe and Colors. The story penned in this thread is my own.

(New readers please don't click the link above if don't want spoilers.)

An OS written for all the mistreated characters in the show and what could have been.

The story is set directly after Chanakya's death. I will be regularly retconning previous episodes of the show through flashbacks for the sake of plot and coherence in the story and consistency of the characters. Please don't crucify me for that.

A/N: Dedicated to Niki, Ramsha, Gargi, Mac, Khushi, Nonie, Shailusri, Vidhya, Sri, Mishi, Niks, Shayamala Ji, Swathi, Spring, Kryztal and Shelly.

Also Rohini, Medha, Krystal and Kaana.

Old loyal CAS viewers who loved Chanakya niti just as much as me.

And finally my bros BB and Shyam who love Dharma and PS more than me.

Credits: Shelly aka Musicndance2

Chapter 1: The oath

Patliputra 7 days later...

In the sunlit corridors of the Patliputra palace, Radhagupt was wandering aimlessly. His eyes were glossed over. It was unusual sight for those who knew him. Radhagupt was always disciplined and did his tasks as his Acharya instructed him to. Aimless wondering or time wasting was not in his nature. Acharya Chanakya always ensured that.

A bile rose into his throat. Acharya Chanakya. His heart throbbed painfully as he fought the tears from breaking out once again. Acharya Chanakya. His beloved mentor. The hero of Magadh who made it the great Empire that it is today. The man who gave everything for his homeland and his people had such an unceremonious end to his life.

Burned in a hut they said, at least initially.

Murdered by Daastan, they later said.

Radhagupt believed none of it. An outsider like Daastan could never get Chanakya. Nor would Chanakya be so careless that someone would just burn him in a hut.

Radhagupt wasn't a stranger to the fact that Chanakya had his adversaries. His Archarya's enemies were his enemies. As Chanakya's disciple he knew full well that there were many people who wanted him dead. Acharya had more enemies than he had friends. It's part and parcel of being being a key player in the politics of Magadh. Part and parcel required him to protect the royal family. Samrat Bindusar, Rani Dharma and Rajkumar Ashok to be specific.

Radhagupt found himself near a balcony. Overlooking the training ground in Patliputra. All the princes and warriors of Patliputra were finishing training. Fired up by the recent events of the constant attacks on the palace. And the grief of losing Chanakya. And the imminent threat that looms in Taxilla.

Radhagupt's eyes sought for Ashok. Chanakya's final apprentice. The prodigy upon whom Archarya had placed his hopes and dreams. The boy who was destined to unite all of Bharat Varsh. The boy who will become the greatest Samrat of Magadh. As Chanakya would proudly proclaim to friends and foes.

Radhagupt's eyes finally landed on Ashok who training with Vasunandan and Subhao. They were his most diligent students at the Rajkiya Vidyale. Humble as well. Ashok has been a good influence on them. Subhao and Vasunandan were showing Ashok how to defend against spear and shield wielding warriors. Ashok was set to depart for Taxilla, instead of Sushim. A series of drama lead to this change. Radhagupt knew what was going on. But he couldn't do much about it. Not with Amatya Khalnatak and Maha Rani Charumitra being so close to Samrat right now.

Speaking of which Radhagupt glanced to see Charumitra with Khalnatak who was talking to Sushim near the edge of the ground. Indrajeet, Sushim's sparring partner stood near them. Sushim wore an expression of smug arrogance as Khalnatak spoke excitedly. It was no secret that Khalnatak was an avid supporter of Sushim. They seemed unperturbed by the grief that has overtaken Patliputra. This did not surprise Radhagupt. Charumitra and Khalnatak could not stand Chanakya since he had on many occasions shown Sushim in a bad light in front of the Sabha and the Samrat. Being an open supporter of Ashok further fueled their hatred.

Samrat Bindusar and the rest of the royal family stood under the canopy of the palace. Rani Dharma stood next to him. Her hands locked around his arms. He could see that both of them were grieving. The dried tears around the Samrat's eyes mirrored Radhagupt's own.

Rani Subrasi stood behind them holding Drupad. She gazed wistfully at the two of them. Radhagupt didn't dwell on that. As Rajmata Helena caught his eyes. Rajmata Helena seemed very happy. A rare sight. Her eyes could barely contain her joy. Radhagupt knew if anyone had reason to rejoice for Acharya Chanakya's death, it was the Rajmata. Suddenly Rajmata's expression changed. He followed her gaze towards a commotion.

An intense duel was going on between two students. It was Siyamak, fighting fiercely against his sparring partner. His eyes were manic and his movements were desperate void of any skill or grace. Radhagupt could almost sense the turmoil of emotions almost breaking out of the prince. Understandably so. Radhagupt knew what Siyamak had gone through the past few months. The young Prince had to live through the horrific shock of his mentor being a Rajdrohi. Then his grandfather. Then his mother. Not only did he lose his loved ones. They were all traitors to boot.

Siyamak's sparring partner fell under the sheer force of the sword strikes. Siyamak was about strike him with his blade but Ashok stopped him in time. Siyamak angrily looked towards Ashok and tried to break away. Ashok didn't budge. But Ashok's face showed no anger. It was sympathy. Pity. Remorse. This seemed to anger Siyamak even more and he dropped his sword. Ashok let Siyamak go who stormed off. Away from the ground.

Helena made a move to go after Siyamak but Samrat Bindusar swiftly  brushed past her and hurried after Siyamak. Helena stopped in her tracks looking on concernedly.

Helena's sudden concern for Siyamak in many ways, was a strange thing to see for Radhagupt. Acharya Chanakya discussed it with him. But in passing. Something had happened. And Acharya intended to find out what.

There were so many things Acharya Chanakya was working on. Before the day he died Chanakya was talking about finishing all the enemies of Magadh in one glorious sweep. Radhagupt felt elated to see his Acharya so happy. Not even once did he think that the mission that Acharya Chanakya had started would end so tragically for him.

Radhagupt clenched his fists as a stray tear trailed down his face. So many things Acharya had left unfinished. And his greatest dream remain unfulfilled. Watching Ashok sitting on the grand throne of Magadh.

Radhagupt sighed. The sun was setting. His eyes searched once again searched for Ashok. If there was anyone feeling more pain than himself and even Siyamak, it was Ashok.

Ashok was standing in the same spot he stopped Siyamak, his shoulders hunched over. His eyes had lost that playful glint. No longer care-free. He had gone through so things over the past few months, it was unsurprising. The boy's life had turned upside down. It is no wonder the increasing responsibilities was starting to weigh on him. He saw Ashok sighing. His eyes suddenly snapped towards another direction.

Radhagupt looked over to where Ashok was gazing. It was Rajkumari Ahankara with her little brother. The onlookers warily kept their distance. Not because she was a princess. Although he didn't share their misgivings, he understood them. Rajkumari Ahankara was the daughter of two known traitors. Try as much as Samrat Bindusar might, that is the stigma that this girl will always face.

Thankfully for the girl, Ashok was by her side. Now and always from what Radhagupt could tell. The uncomfortable glances stopped and everyone dispersed. Ashok took Ahankara's little brother into his arms and started swinging him around playfully. Vasunandan and Subhao joined them. They were making weird faces trying to make the baby laugh. Ahankara gazed at Ashok affectionately as he lifted her brother over them all. The fading rays of the sun shining around them.

Radhagupt knew Ahankara harbored strong feelings for Ashok. And Radhagupt suspected that Ashok reciprocated them as well. Ashok had gone above and beyond to ensure the safety of Ahankara and her brother. Then again it is Ashok. But still, it is unusual by usual standards for a Rajkumar to help someone like Ahankara to such an extent. But then again it's Ashok. Expect nothing usual from him. Acharya Chanakya dismissed his actions as purely emotional and extremely foolish.

Radhagupt smiled despite himself. Acting on emotions did have some merit. The companionship that Ashok had earned was proof of that. Ashok, in spite of the turmoil Magadh is in now, in spite of the turmoil his heart must be in now, was smiling. And his friends were too. Just like Radhagupt.

"Acharya." a voice called him.

Radhagupt felt his body tense. After a few seconds he turned to see it was Ishwari standing with his personal guards. It felt weird. Whenever Ishwari said "Acharya", it was usually to address Acharya Chanakya. Not him. Radhagupt cleared his throat.

"Your Guptchar are back." Radhagupt drew a long breath.

His men. Subordinates

His.

It felt unnatural. The Guptchar were Chanakya's disciples like him. And he was a follower like them. He answered to Acharya Chanakya like them. And now all of them answered to him. It was surreal. Radhagupt shook his head. He cannot let such thoughts dwell in his mind. Not when Magadh and everyone in it was constantly under threat from enemies everywhere.

He took a long stride forward as he begun walking towards Acharya Chanakya's room with Ishwari and the guards trailing him. As time will go by it will become his room. No matter how uncomfortable he felt.

He saw Siyamak who had returned with Helena next to him. Bindusar was hurrying back into the castle with Dharma and Subarshi in tow.

Helena's presence next to Siyamak was becoming a familiar sight bit by bit. They were looking towards Ashok and his friends. Their expressions were unreadable in the growing shadows. On the other side of the court Sushim, Charumitra and Khalnatak were doing the same. Except the expressions of pure contempt were clearly visible.

Radhagupt clenched his fists. His jaw locked. He tore his gaze away and continued walking. He walked through the corridors of Patliputra as the rays of the sun dimmed away, he could feel the protective aura that he always felt in Chanakya's presence fading away as well. Strange as it was. The feeling of increasing dread felt very real.

Radhagupt took a sharp turn and picked up his pace. Ishwari and the guards followed keeping pace with him.

Radhagupt knew that all the enemies of Magadh would set their sights on Ashok. After Acharya Chanakya, Ashok was their biggest obstacle on their path to the throne. Keechak and the Taxilla crisis will be dealt with one way or another. But, as Acharya Chanakya always said, it was the internal enemies of Magadha that remained a bigger and more mortal threat.

As darkness of the night loomed, so the did the enemies of Magadh. Radhagupt steeled his gaze as he neared the meeting place. It was time to bury all emotions. Magadh needed him. The royal family needed him. Ashok needed him

Radhagupt halted outside Chanakya's room. He told Ishwari to go inside. He quietly instructed the guards to scour the area of enemy spies. Once they set off for reconnaissance Radhagupt waited outside Chanakya's room. The sun had set. The night begun as darkness engulfed Patliputra. Radhagupt looked towards the court as he saw Ashok with his friends walking back into the palace. The flickering light from the lamps cast a warm glow on them.

"Acharya Chanakya." Radhagupt whispered into the breeze that swept past him. "I cannot replace you. No one can replace you. But I will avenge you. I will make your dreams come true. Your final disciple will become Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat!"

To be continued...

A/N: My old readers please be patient, I will re-upload all the chapters soon. Along with the new Chapter.

To my new readers, please enjoy yourselves and leave your feedback. Not only it gives me motivation to write faster () but also keeps this thread visible to those CAS fans who want a good story.

Edited by babur1527 - 5 years ago

My own ff re-written since the Charkavartin Ashoka Samrat forum is now closed.

Original Thread link for copyright purposes: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4533430

The characters belong to Contiloe and Colors. The story penned in this thread is my own.

(New readers please don't click the link above if don't want spoilers.)

An OS written for all the mistreated characters in the show and what could have been.

The story is set directly after Chanakya's death. I will be regularly retconning previous episodes of the show through flashbacks for the sake of plot and coherence in the story and consistency of the characters. Please don't crucify me for that.

A/N: Dedicated to Niki, Ramsha, Gargi, Mac, Khushi, Nonie, Shailusri, Vidhya, Sri, Mishi, Niks, Shayamala Ji, Swathi, Spring, Kryztal and Shelly.

Chapter 2: The flaw in the Plan

Later that night.

The small flames from the torches were flickering ominously in the corridors of the palace of Patliputra. The guards were diligently patrolling every corner keeping an eye out for any abnormalities. The royal family has been attacked far too many times now. The security of Magadh was on high alert.

The guards bowed as two people walked by.

Rajkumar Ashok was walking with Rajkumari Ahankara still carrying her brother in his arms. Ashok gave a curt nod to the guards who then resumed their patrolling.

Ashok looked into the curious eyes of the little boy who was pulling his chain. The boy looked up at Ashok and started smiling. His face was so innocent. So precious. So full of life. Ashok returned the smile and thought to himself, this is how his Ma must feel like when she looks at him.

Reasons for smiling was hard to come by for Ashok these days. In such a short time he lost two very important people in his lives. Acharya Akramak.

And Acharya Chanakya.

He had also lost the trust of his younger brother who has been such a good friend ever since he came here. Ashok's smile faded. He felt a soft hand touch his shoulder. He turned to see Ahankara looking at him intently. Ashok forced a smile. Ahankara did the same. They said nothing and continued walking. Ashok knew that his pain was nothing compared to what Ahankara went through the past few months. Ashok felt like hitting himself. How could he be so blind to Sushim's cruelty? He is the same person that used to toy with little children for fun. He is the same person that tried to kill him. Not once. Not twice. But repeatedly ever since he came to Patliputra. Ashok tried to honor his mother's wishes of trying to get along with his brother. But he should have known better. His mother didn't know the truth. And there was a part of Ashok that suspected that Sushim also had a hand in killing Chanakya. As unreasonable as it was, Ashok couldn't shake that feeling.

Speak of the rakshas and he arrives. Ashok thought to himself as his elder brother sauntered into view.

Ashok and Sushim halted before each other. Both of them looking at the other with pure loathing.

"So the tuchprani is the babysitter now." Sushim sneered.

"What are you talking about Bhrata?" Ashok said feigning surprise. "I was always the babysitter. I have been babysitting your tantrums all this time, haven't I?"

Sushim scowled darkly. He muttered through clenched teeth. "Listen you tuchprani. Have all the fun you want. You won't be returning from Taxilla. And you," Sushim growled turning to Ahankara, "Just wait till I become Samrat. I will deal with you then."

Ashok instinctively tried to shield Ahankara. But Ahankara stepped forward her brows furrowed with anger.

"If you become Samrat that is." Ahankara said in a quiet tone. "You have no power anymore Sushim. You are lucky that your father loves you so much. So much that he is blind to all your misdeeds. Maybe someone should tell him everything about what you did around here in his absence. Maybe that will open his eyes."

Sushim's glare faltered for a moment. "You have no proof."

"Ashok and I are proof enough." Ahankara replied. "Rani Dharma will also attest for us."

Sushim looked around nervously to see if anyone overheard them. He glared at Ahankara and advanced towards her. Ashok stepped in between them. He handed Ahankara's brother to her and turned towards Sushim. The two brothers glared at one another menacingly. It looked as if a fight was about to break out between them once again.

"You know your father might walk by any moment." Ahankara taunted. Sushim shifted his eyes towards Ahankara. His hands were shaking with rage. After a moment he seemed to change his mind as he stormed past them without another word.

Ashok turned towards Ahankara mildly surprised. "What was that about?"

"If you are not going to tell your father everything about what Sushim did." Ahankara said, "Might as well make the most of what we know in other ways." Ahankara finished with a furtive smile.

Ashok chuckled. "Yeah. Why not?"

The two then walked towards Ahankara's room. Ashok glanced over his shoulder to see his elder brother stomping away and throwing vengeful glares at their back.

Over the months that passed by Sushim was chosen as the Prabhari Raja while Samrat Bindusar went to quell the rebellion in Ujjain taking Acharya Chanakya with him along with Subhao and Vasunandan who were sent by the Kriparcharya of the Rajkiya Vidhyale. With them gone Ashok was left by himself to protect everyone against Sushim's cruelty.

Sushim's oppressive ventures were very subtle and well hidden from the public. From land grabbing to quelling dissenting opinions Sushim and his Mahamatya Khalntak were very astute in hiding their activities from the Brahmin authorities, most of whom were in their pockets anyway.

Sushim tried to dispense the full brunt his cruelty towards Ashok as well once Ashok directly intervened in one of the games Sushim was playing on Ahankara. Sushim was hell bent on having him tortured in public. But thanks to Acharya Radhagupt, Grinath and Akhanand, they managed to stop at least one of the many proceedings in Sushim's kangaroo court.

However even with their aid Ashok wasn't able to prove to the Saabha of the sufferings that the praja were going through thanks to deft operations run by Sushim's Zamindars and well placed Brahmaans that vouched for Sushim. Ashok didn't want his mother to be caught in the middle of his fight against Sushim so he had to resort to adopting a vigilante identity to combat the regime of the Prabhari Raja. People readily flocked to his side in his fight against the Prabhari Raja. He had many resounding successes against Sushim's zamindars and even Senapati Akramak who was forced to hunt Ashok and his vigilantes.

However, Ashok knew his victories were temporary and could very well turn ephemeral as the faith of the populace in the Magadh authority was fading fast once again.

Archarya Radhagupt after a bit of difficulty had managed to contact his father who with all haste made for Patliputra, delegating the task of consolidating Magadh's control in Ujjain to the trustworthy hands of Acharya Chanakya.

With the news of Samrat's imminent return, all was going well. Everything seemed to be getting back to control and Rajkumar Sushim and his cohorts were set to be exposed for their misdeeds. However, Sushim got the last laugh. He managed to provoke Ashok into directly attacking him by threatening to kill Ahankara. Against the advice of Acharya Radhagupt, Ashok recklessly charged into the palace as Agradhoot and all hell broke loose.

Ashok remembered that night clearly. And he doubted whether he will ever forget about that night or the following days that passed by. That night his brother was almost killed. And it was unfortunate that the Samrat returned that very night only to oversee his arrest. The following day Mahamatya Khalnatak, Maharani Charumitra and the Brahmins under their control piled on the accusations on Ashok and managed to secure his death sentence despite his father's best efforts to avert the judgement till Acharya returned. Ashok couldn't understand what came over his father when he suddenly passed the death sentence.

Thankfully despite whatever had a hold of the Samrat, his conscience managed to prevail and at the last second he stopped the execution. And Acharya Chanakya's timely arrival acquitted him of all charges. And as a bonus for surviving that ordeal Ahankara's engagement to Sushim was annuled.

Ashok looked towards Ahankara as she sat on the bed singing a lullaby to her brother. Ashok couldn't help but smile looking at them.

She is going to be great mother one day. Ashok thought to himself.

"Rajkumar Ashok." Ashok turned to see it was Ishwari. Ashok raised his eyebrow.

"Acharya is calling for you. Ashok tensed. Oh right. Radhagupt is the Acharya now.

"I am coming." Ashok said gruffly. Ishwari nodded and left.

"Ashok." Ahankara said as Ashok prepared to leave, "You are leaving for Taxilla tomorrow?"

"Yes." Ashok replied quietly as he tried to suppress the welling emotions. He turned to leave but Ahankara's voice stopped him.

"Take care of yourself." Ahankara said. Ashok stopped and turned to see Ahankara smiling at him. "I know you will succeed in liberating Taxilla."

"Dhanyavad." Ashok said as a smile nestled his mouth. Ahankara's encouraging words lifting the coil that was forming in his stomach again. Watching Ahankara's smiling face, Ashok couldn't stop himself from moving towards her. He could see Ahankara take a sharp intake of breath as he drew closer. Her smile faded a bit but her lips remained parted as a light blush spread across her face. Ashok's heart skipped a beat. Ashok remembered what Ahankara said to him in prison. Ashok knew well enough what Ahankara felt for him. Many including Ahankara assumed that he reciprocated those feelings. But he didn't exactly lie to her. However now that his Bhrata was no longer engaged to her circumstances have changed.

Even so Ashok felt a bit guilty for what he was about to ask of her. He has no doubt that she will do it even if she didn't want to. For his sake.

"Please keep an eye on my Ma." Ashok said quietly. "Before Acharya Chanakya died, he said that she still has enemies here in the palace. And they will no doubt try to harm her in my absence."

Ahankara looked into Ashok's eyes. Ashok already knew the answer before she said it.

"I will do it Ashok. Don't worry." Ahankara paused, drawing even closer to Ashok. "I have been hearing some awful rumors about Taxilla. Please be careful."

Ashok suppressed the urge to take her into his arms. To reassure her that he was going to be fine. Instead he briefly grasped her shoulder and then turned to leave. Ahanakara called him again. Ashok turned towards her. She looked ethereal with the warm light from the diya around her. Ashok couldn't help but marvel.

"Come back soon." Ahankara said smiling radiantly. Ashok felt his spirit soar with renewed confidence.

"I will be back before you know it." He replied with a grin.

On the other side of the palace...

Radhagupt was pacing in his room. Thoughts brewing like a storm his mind as he frantically formulated a strategy for Ashok. The Taxilla situation was very delicate. If the Mauryan army headed by the Rajkumar, who was also the Maha Yoddha, was defeated, then it will seriously damage the prestige of Magadh. It didn't matter how old Ashok was. To confound matters even more his Guptchar just informed him that Rakshas Acharya has escaped.

Radhagupt knew this was going to happen eventually. Chanakaya's death has weakened the network of guptchars. Radhagupt hoped to avoid that problem for now. Especially since the Taxilla crisis had reared its head. He had managed to curtail the fragmentation of his network. But he will have to address it more comprehensively at a later time.

Acharya Chanakya taught Radhagupt many things. The most important thing was winning when it mattered. And Radhagupt couldn't let Ashok lose at this crucial juncture.

"Acharya."

Radhagupt turned to see Ashok standing before him. His eyes focused. Looks like Ashok knew what Radhagupt wanted to discuss about. He looked towards Ishwari who stood behind Ashok. He raised his eyebrow. Ishwari nodded to indicate that there were no spies around. Radhagupt dismissed her with a curt nod.

Radhagupt then turned and sat down on what used to be Acharya Chanakya's spot. He suppressed his unease. "Take a seat Ashok." Radhagupt said. Ashok sat down waiting for Radhagupt to speak.

"Don't go by the Samurdri Marg." Radhagupt said bluntly. Ashok raised his eyebrows.

"Why-?" Ashok protested. Radhagupt put his hand up. Ashok pursed his lips and waited with bated breath.

"It is too risky." Radhagupt continued. "I know you are trying to use the elements of stealth and surprise. But trust me. You are leading a large army. There is no stealth and surprise with the method you are pursuing. Samudra Bhraman are always complicated, unpredictable and dangerous. Depends a lot on the weather. And if you are attacked by Yunani mercenaries or even pirates, let's just say things can turn ugly. The Magadh Sena are not good at naval combat."

Ashok folded his arms as he absorbed his Acharya's words.

"No matter how much you try. You can't hide the fact that you are leading Magadh's army by sea. But nonetheless I had a feeling that our conversation with Samrat was overheard by someone. A guptchar of mine confirmed it a few hours ago. Your yojna is no longer a secret." Ashok was flabbergasted

"Whose spy was it?" Ashok managed to say after a while. Radhagupt heaved a sigh that indicated his frustration.

"I cannot say for sure. But rest assured that whoever it was, he was no well wisher of yours."

Radhagupt pulled the drawer on Chanakya's table. He brought out a parchment. "Worst case scenario," Radhagupt said spreading the parchment on the table. "They will inform Keechak and try to have you killed before you reach Taxilla."

Ashok saw that the parchment contained a map.

"Taxilla is very close to the Yunani region." Radhagupt said pointing Ashok towards the map. "There is a good chance that Keechak is backed by the Yunani."

Ashok quietly looked at the map. "Acharya are you saying that there is no way I cannot avoid getting attacked?"

"Yes." Radhagupt nodded. "We should not even try to fight the Yunani at sea. We can't beat them at naval warfare. Trust me when I say that. Acharya Chanakya always told me about the Yunani superiority at sea. It was one of the reasons why your Pithamha Chandragupt signed that treaty with Selucus."

Ashok rubbed his forehead. "Acharya can I ask you something?"

"Yes?" Radhagupt replied.

"Do you think that the other Yunani were involved with Rajkumar Justin's conspiracy?

"Of course they were!" That is what Radhagupt wanted to say. But he couldn't. Radhagupt knew whom Ashok was referring to. He knew full well that if he tells Ashok everything, he will realize the truth about the Yunani. Not only regarding the true nature of Lakshagraha conspiracy. But Acharya Chanakya's murder as well. Radhagupt wasn't certain but he knew they played a role in his Acharya's death. But unlike him Ashok might give in to his emotions and go after them. And right now Ashok wasn't ready to take on the Rajmata. Not when she was held in such high esteem by the Samrat and the Praja.

"Possibly." Radhagupt said carefully. He decided to divert the topic. "But right now. You should focus on Keechak and Taxilla." Ashok stared at Radhagupt. Radhagupt could tell Ashok wasn't content with his answer.

"Tell me Acharya. How do I deal with Keechak?" Ashok said hesitantly after a moment.

"As you have already realized, one way or another whether it be on land or sea, you will be attacked. However your chances are better on land." Radhagupt spoke making sure Ashok grasped his every word. "Keechak at the moment is very powerful. And with Samrat Bindusar not being able to go there, he has all the more reason to feel confident. Acharya Chanakya told me about Samrat Bindusar's fight with Keechak. It was a very close battle. Keechak had nearly killed Samrat. But in the end luck favored us. And the crisis was dealt with."

Ashok didn't say anything but stared at the map. Radhagupt continued.

"The Taxilla crisis is bigger than just some sadistic and tyrannical Adhipati terrorizing the Praja. If we don't beat him, the Akhandata of Bharat will come under threat."

Ashok's eyes widened.

"Other rebel movements will be inspired by Keechak's victory. They might even ally with him." Radhagupt continued. "There is a reason Samrat Bindusar is sending Magadh's army there to deal with him. Taxilla is the gateway to Magadh."

Radhagupt took a quill and a new parchment. He started writing something.

"From what I remember about what Acharya told me, Keechak is not just a warrior like Dastaan was."

Ashok clenched his fist. He remembered the fights he had with Dastaan, the powerful Khurasani Sardar. He was nearly killed in every one of those fights. Ashok's palms felt cold with sweat. Yes Ashok killed him. But he was fueled by blind range thinking that Dastaan was the one that murdered Chanakya. Ashok knew very well if he met Dastaan right now he can't repeat that feat.

"He is strong and cunning as a warrior. He is ruthless. He is sadistic. And he is a shrewd individual well versed with Kutniti and Raniti." Radhagupt said as he finished writing. "He is what Sushim could be if your elder brother ever manages to becomes Samrat." Radhagupt looked squarely at Ashok as he folded the parchment.

"Ashok." Radhagupt said. "You are incredibly strong for your age. However there are warriors out there who are stronger and more skilled than you. Not to mention more experienced in combat and leading battles. Like your pitaji Samrat Bindusar. And," Radhagupt put the parchment back in the drawer. "Keechak."Radhagupt stood up.

"Ideally. Akramak was the one who should have been sent to Taxilla." Ashok felt the dull pain in his heart again. Radhagupt clenched his fist. "But now we have to make the best of what we have."

Radhagupt turned towards Ashok. "I have drawn out a plan for you. If everything goes well enough we will have Keechak in chains by the time you are done."

Ashok stood up. It has been a while since he felt like this. He felt the assuring calmness of Chanakya in Radhagupt's words.

"What do you want me to do Acharya?" Ashok asked. Radhagupt held his hands behind him stood before Ashok.

"Before you leave tomorrow," Radhagupt said quietly. "Spar with Samrat Bindusar after he does the Surya Namaskar." Ashok was taken aback. "And tell him not to hold back. Make sure he doesn't hold back." Radhagupt said very seriously.

Ashok looked at Radhagupt incredulously. Why does he want me to fight my father at his full strength just before I leave?

"I will tell you after you spar with him." Radhagupt said before Ashok could voice his thoughts.

"Go now. Get some sleep. You have a long day tomorrow."

Ashok knelt down and touched Radhagupt's feet and pressed his hands together in respect. "Yes Acharya."

"Kalyanam astu."

Radhagupt said patting Ashok's head. Ashok stood up and walked out.

Radhagupt moved towards the window. The moon was shining brightly tonight after a long while. He stared into the quiet city. The soft breeze was calming. Radhagupt looked out to forest that lead to the mountains. It was a peaceful scenery. Taxilla must be quiet too right now. Except for the screams of those who are being tortured by Keechak. Radhagupt gripped the window rail looking out to the night sky.

"I will not let Ashok lose no matter what. Kadap hi nahi."

To be continued...

A/N: My old readers please be patient, I will re-upload all the chapters soon. Along with the new Chapter.

To my new readers, please enjoy yourselves and leave your feedback. Not only it gives me motivation to write faster () but also keeps this thread visible to those CAS fans who want a good story.

Chapter 3: The Art of Fighting

It was dawn at the city of Patliputra, the capital of Magadh, whose grandeur shone as brilliantly as the rising sun that was gracing the scenery. Anyone who saw the city from afar could not help but marvel at the magnificence of it. The palace at the hilltop was a symbol of grandeur of the Mauryan Dynasty.

Ashok walked out of his room after he finished packing his stuff. He breathed in the fresh morning air and began walking towards the courtyard.

As Ashok walked through the corridors various thoughts clouded his mind. Mostly around the unwise and irresponsible choices he made over the last few months.

The decision to become the leader of the rebels as Agradhut for the sake of his Praja.

The decision to sacrifice his life for the sake of Ahankara.

Both choices reflected the fact that he still had so much to learn. Truth and justice are not achieved through rash decisions. Sushim had outsmarted him in the end and almost drove a wedge between him and his father. What's more he had caused his mother a lot of pain anyway and almost ruined Ahankara's life forever. Acharya Chanakya had saved them all once again but he was no longer around.

Ashok's heart throbbed painfully at the thought. He pondered over what Archarya Radhagupt said last night. Ashok had made a mental note to heed Acharya Radhagupt's words better this time. He needed to reign in his recklessness.

Everyone close to him was asking him to be careful. Especially his parents. And Ahankara.

Ashok didn't really understand what he felt towards her. Her beauty had always captivated him. And he meant what he said to her, that he respected and admired her immensely. When she told him that she was in love with him, it wasn't much of a surprise. He knew that the Ujjaini Princess harbored strong feelings for him.

However even now Ashok couldn't understand how to respond to her feelings. He remembered Acharya Chanakya's words.

Do you realize that the life that you are going to give Ahankara is worse than death itself? Your greatness is not in heedlessly sacrificing your life only for Ahankara to either live as a slave of Sushim to torture or be exiled from Patliputra as a disgraced traitor to the state. Your greatness would be in liberating Ahankara with the honor she truly deserves by speaking the truth and upholding the justice of Magadh.

Ashok and his Acharya Chanakya did manage to free her from Sushim. But the people of Magadh still regarded her as Putri of a Rajdrohi. That is something that is unlikely to change. If his Bhrata was a good man as he claimed to be and honored her as he was supposed to, this dilemma would not have arisen. All that said, Ashok knew what the solution was. But given the disgusting accusations his brother had thrown at him and Ahankara, and given the delicate situation of Taxilla, now was not the time. And he wasn't really sure about how felt towards her. A girl as pure as Ahankara deserved to live a happy life. To be with someone who can truly honor and cherish her. But that was the problem. Ashok knew exactly what she wanted. Who she wanted be with. Her words still echoed in his mind and it made his heart skip a beat.

"I will keep waiting for you Ashok. And you cannot stop me from doing that."

Ashok smiled and shook his head. He will deal with this when he returns. He needed to focus on the task at hand.

Overlooking the rising the sun on the majestic courtyard of the palace of Patliputra stood its Samrat, Bindusar Maurya. Behind him were a couple of attendants and well armed retinue of guards. Now was probably the worst time for anyone to attack Patliputra or its Samrat.

Bindusar was doing his usual morning rituals, praying for the well being of his Kingdom, his praja, his family and particularly his son, Ashok.

Ashok was set to depart from Patliputra. For what would be the young Prince's grandest expedition in his life.

Bindusar was reluctant to let Ashok go. He knew how dangerous Keechak was. However, his family and his praja needed him here right now. Especially after what happened the last time he left. He has been hearing rumors about land grabbing. However Maha Amatya Khalnatak had dismissed them as nonsense allegations. And since Acharya Chanakya didn't press the issue any further, and there was no real proof he didn't think too much about it. Bindusar, however completely forgot about it because of the emotional upheaval he went through of almost executing his son.

Now as the warm rays of the sun touched his face he realized what a grave error he made for rushing into that judgment of ordering the execution of Ashok. He could not understand what possessed him to do it. Did he love his eldest son Sushim that blindly? Or was there something else?

He loved Ashok very much. And he loved Ashok's mother, Dharma very much.

When he returned from Ujjain he didn't expect to see the things that he did. The extent hatred between his two eldest sons.  And his wives. Dharma had been behaving strangely flitting in and out of bouts of rage. He later found out through Acharya Chanakya that someone had done voodoo on Dharma. Acharya Chanakya...

Thinking about the last few weeks made Bindusar's blood boil.

His own foolish actions that almost destroyed his family.

Noor's betrayal.

Acharya Chanakya's death.

And now Keechak.

Trouble seems to be plaguing Bindusar's life one way or another. He once heard some monk say in one of his distant campaigns in Tosali, the life of a king is a cursed one.

These days he tended to agree. People would think that he was blind to the greed of Charumitra and Noor for making their respective sons his successor. He wasn't.

In the long walks with Subrasi all the years that have passed by, he sought solace from the constant bickering and pandering of the Raniya over his successor.

He was always surrounded by people. Influential people that fought one another for his attention. But in truth Bindusar always felt a loneliness he never could get rid of ever since his mother's death. Atleast until he met Dharma. Whom he thought life had cruelly seized away from him.

The past few months were tumultuous to say the least. But amidst it all there were moments of incomparable joy. Bindusar was reunited with Dharma.

And not only that, he found out that he had another son. And this son was none other than the most gifted youth that he had ever seen. Ashok.

The moments he spent with Ashok and Dharma were absolutely blissful amidst all the pandering, bickering and sycophancy.

These two people loved Bindusar unconditionally. And he loved them just as much.

Bindusar smiled remembering the tender nights he has been spending with Dharma trying to make up for lost time. Trying to make up for the promise he almost broke. And now trying to make up for the gravest mistake he almost made.

His smile faded. He felt his temper rising again. He decided to head to the sparring arena to vent some frustration.

In the sparring arena.

The palace guards stood on alert as the Samrat went through the usual exercises. It was early in the morning and the arena was empty. Bindusar diligently went through the steps that he learned from his Acharya when he was young. The Magadh Samrat had to be strong. That is what he was always taught.

Bindusar walked over to where the practice swords were kept. And what he saw instantly calmed him down. It was Ashok walking towards him. Bindusar smiled as Ashok halted before him and touched his feet. "My putra. You are up early."

Ashok returned the smile. "Just thought I would spend some time with you before I leave for Taxilla."

Bindusar smile widened. "Of course. So what do you want to do?"

"I would like to spar with you Pitaji." Ashok said grabbing a training sword. Bindusar furrowed his eyebrows as his smile faded.

"Why?" Bindusar asked genuinely confused at this odd request.

"Just because." Ashok said with an ear to ear grin. Bindusar chuckled. What goes on in this boy's head. He thought to himself as he grabbed a sword.

Bindusar and Ashok stood opposite to each other in the sparring arena which was still empty, except for Radhagupt who observed the proceedings from a carefully hidden distance .

Ashok charged at Bindusar fully committing himself. He fainted a thrust before side stepping and leaping into the air. Ashok swung his sword high above his head, prepared to strike with all his might.

Bindusar smiled. Ashok's speed and athleticism always marveled him. It reminded him of his own father. Bindusar casually blocked Ashok's strike and pushed him back. Ashok didn't let up. He charged at an even faster pace.

Bindusar's eyes widened as he realized Ashok was fighting very aggressively. This wasn't just a friendly bout. What prompted this?

Bindusar concentrated as he defended more carefully. Ashok's swings and strikes were flashy and powerful. But it did not cause too much trouble for someone like Bindusar at least.

Ashok stopped attacking. "Pitaji. I am not holding back. You should not hold back either."

Bindusar remembered the last time he and Ashok sparred. It was more lighthearted. Bindusar was showing faux anger trying to draw out Ashok's strength. When Ashok knocked him down he playfully let Ashok think he succeeded. He wanted to boost the boy's confidence.

But this was different. It seemed almost as if Ashok was goading Bindusar to attack for the kill.

Bindusar now realized the reason for his son's odd request. It almost felt like Acharya Chanakya was behind this.

Alright putra, have it your way.

Ashok leaped high above Bindusar attempting another flashy overhead strike, this time from the Samrat's weaker side. Or so he thought. Ashok saw the flash of the blade and in the next instant he found himself flat on his back.

Radhagupt saw Bindusar swatting away Ashok's strike with ease. The force of Bindusar's block threw Ashok on the ground. Ashok quickly got back up and charged at Bindusar again.

Ashok's strength and reflexes were frighteningly impressive for his age. Even the soldiers of the Magadh Sena had trouble dealing with Ashok. However, Bindusar was not just a soldier. He was the Samrat of Magadh. He was a warrior.

While the first successor of the Mauryan dynasty was not as gifted as his father, he was a warrior in his own right, as was his elder brother, Rajkumar Justin. Both brothers were equally matched in terms of skill. Justin arguably shaded it. However what made Bindusar the superior warrior of the brothers was not skill. But power.

It wasn't raw power you would often see in brutes often employed by Kingdoms as bodyguards, executioners or shock infantry. It was power that was well honed. 

Polished. Cultured.

And matched with the skills taught and nurtured by Chandragupt himself, it was outright frightening.

What Bindusar lacked was ingenuity and intuitiveness, traits of Chandragupt that were were in spades within young Ashok.

As good as Ashok was however, he still lacked technique. To a casual observer it may not be apparent, as Ashok's freakish athleticism and his guile compensated for it.

Radhagupt was no warrior. But he had observed fighters, and participated in various skirmishes while on exile with Acharya Chanakya. He had to fend for himself in some instances. He knew how warriors fought. And while Ashok was learning fast, he still had a bit to progress before he could take on the strongest there was.

Samrat Bindusar was barely moving as he blocked Ashok's powerful swings. Ashok stopped attacking. He looked to Bindusar astounded at the true strength of the Samrat. He started realizing why Acharya Radhagupt wanted Ashok to fight a Bindusar at full strength. Ashok did not feel disappointed. Or fear. Or anger. Like the times when he fought Sushim or Daastan.

All he was feeling right now was the adrenaline coursing in his body. And pride. Proud that he was the son of such a magnificent warrior.

"What is the matter putra?" Bindusar asked lightheartedly. "Tired already?"

"Not even close." Ashok replied.

"Alright then. Attack." Bindusar urged tightening the grip on his sword.

Radhagupt from afar watched Ashok do just that. This time Bindusar, instead of standing on the defensive charged forward as Ashok swung his sword in a high arc. And in a flash he saw Bindusar halting Ashok's swing by grabbing Ashok's arm and in the next instant he thrust his blade through Ashok's neck.

Radhagupt stood shell shocked for a moment. He sprinted forward not believing his eyes. His shock and dread abated as he realized that the Samrat had only thrust his blade past Ashok's neck. It was pretty close though. Radhagupt heaved a sigh. He should have known better.

Ashok stood frozen as he eyed the blade at the side of his neck. Breathing heavily as sweat trailed down his face. If the timing was just a little off Ashok would be giving his greetings to his late Acharya right now.

"Forgive me, if I frightened you putra." Bindusar said worriedly drawing his sword back. "Sorry I got carried away."

Ashok was staring at his feet.His mind filled with the images of the sequence that went in the last few moments. His father stopped his attack so easily. Not only that but if it wasn't his father, if it was Keechak instead, he would be dead now.

"Ashok." Bindusar said placing his arm on his son's shoulder. "I didn't mean to break your confidence my son. It is just that that you should know what you are dealing with before you leave for Taxilla."

Ashok looked up at him. His eyes made Bindusar's heart fill with emotion. As a father he really wanted to stop Ashok from going to Taxilla. But as the Samrat of Magadh he had no option.

Deep down Bindusar was hoping his son did not have to fight Keechak. He was hoping the Magadh sena would be adequate enough to protect him. But experience told him otherwise. He knew that if Ashok went to Taxilla, fighting Keechak would be inevitable. If it was inevitable he was going to teach his son an important lesson about fighting that inevitable battle.

"Putra." Bindusar said, "You have been training in the Rajkiya Vidyale for a while now. You have learned a lot in a very short time. However your training is far from complete. I am letting you go to Taxilla. But promise me this." Bindusar said leading Ashok towards the steps at the edge of the sparring arena.

Ashok knew what his father was going to say. He knew it. But he wasn't sure how he will keep that promise.

"If worst comes to worst, no matter what happens you will avoid fighting Keechak directly."

"But how will I liberate Taxilla then father?" Ashok asked, "How will I defeat Keechak if I don't

fight him?"

"I didn't say that avoid fighting him." Bindusar sat down on the steps and made Ashok sit next to him.

"Use other ways. Use your soldiers in the best way that you see fit. Overwhelm him with numbers." Bindusar said taking a towel from the attendant. "Use the archery skills that you have been taught. Fight him from a distance. Swords are not the only shastra in warfare. There is more than one way to fight. Do not just rely on your physical tools alone. You are also blessed with a brilliant mind my son. Just think and let the teachings of your Acharya guide you."

Ashok nodded as he understood what his father was trying to convey. Yes in his current state, he may not be strong enough to match Keechak. But he still had the means to defeat

Keechak. He just needed to figure out how to use them.

"I understand Pitaji." Ashok said. "Thank you."

Bindusar smiled and hugged his son briefly.

"I know you will succeed." Bindusar said. "Just be careful. You have a lot of expectations to

live up to. The happiness of many people depend on you being alive."

Ashok nodded as his father kissed his forehead.

Radhagupt observed the scene before him. If Acharya Chanakya was around, he would be smiling just like him.This is what you worked so hard for Acharya. I won't let your efforts go in vain.

Radhagupt saw Ashok and Bindusar head back to the palace with the attendants and the guards trailing them.

Radhagupt decided to head towards another direction, towards the southern side of the palace where a certain princess resided. He had sent the letter he wrote last night to Ujjain with his most able messenger.

Now that Ashok understood how to fight Keechak, it was time for Radhagupt to secure the means for Ashok to fight Keechak.

And he was going to secure every ally he could get possibly get for Ashok. By any means necessary. It was the Neeti he was ingrained with while Chanakya raised him. It was the Neeti that he will live by as he worked everyday, bit by bit, to make the dream of his Acharya come true.

To be continued...

Chapter 4: The expedition begins

In the southern side of the palace of Patliputra, Rajkumari Ahankara sat in her room as a maid combed her hair. The warm rays of the sun illuminating everything around her. She blankly stared into the mirror, her red eyes indicating that she barely got any sleep last night. There were many reasons for that. And they were all because of her savior, the prince of her dreams and nightmares.

Ashok...

Ashok was leaving for Taxilla, a region that was taken over by a fierce band of rebels. They were so powerful right now that the Samrat has to send his Sena to deal with them. Not only that but one of his sons has to lead them. Akramak's untimely death played a role in that development.

Despite what Ahankara said to Ashok last night, she was anxious beyond comprehension. Trouble always seems to shadow Ashok at every turn. And there was never a moment when Ashok's life was not at risk. Ahankara remembered the first time she saw him. It was a foreshadowing of the events to come in her life. She would constantly be in danger and Ashok would be risking his life to save her's.

Ahankara still regretted behaving the way she did with Ashok initially. Yes, Sushim had egged her on but, she was foolish enough to let him.

Ahankara was spoiled. She craved attention. Her parents though they loved her had become busy with the affairs of the Kingdom. Though her Acharya and her cousin Agnishikha somewhat filled the void. And she was the princess of a beautiful kingdom. But the grandeur of Magadh and the warmth of the Mauryan family, or Samrat Bindusar to be specific, drew her towards them. And of course, the eldest son of the Mauryan house, the heir apparent was besotted with her. Throughout the stolen moments with with Sushim, she even had dreams of becoming the eventual Maharani of Magadh after she married the self proclaimed Yuvraj. All in all life was going very well for her.

It all changed when her father perpetrated his conspiracy. Ahankara's life had turned upside down. She had no one by her side. None. Not even her supposed love, Sushim.

That was the point when she had no one to turn to. And that was when Ashok extended his hand towards her. Ever since she entered the Lakshagraha, her life was constantly in danger. If it were not for Ashok's heroics, she wouldn't be alive today. Ashok had crossed every limit for her. Even crossing swords with Sushim several times. Even crossing blades against his own father.

And through all that Ahankara had developed feelings for him. A boy whom everyone thought to be a mere commoner at the time. But Ahankara saw his talents. She saw how Ashok stood up against Sushim's arrogance and cruelty. She saw how Rajkumar Siyamak was attached to him. How fondly Samrat Bindusar showered praises and graced many favors on the young man. How everyone was drawn to his good nature. The good nature that was guided by his pure heart. He was dressed as a commoner. But he carried himself with the grace and charisma of a Prince.

He was also very handsome. Ahankara noticed that even in those commoner garbs he didn't look like a commoner. And his eyes. Even when she hated him, those expressive eyes of his captivated her. And when she started falling for him, Ahankara felt like she could look into those eyes forever.

More importantly, Ashok's good nature had started to influence her. She started mingling with commoners. Menial tasks that she perceived to be beneath her in the past, seemed to reinvigorate her.

Her mother was disgusted when she noticed the change in her. Disgusted to the point where she was conspiring to kill Ashok. But like her father, she died at the hands of Samrat Bindusar.

Ahankara was saddened by the death of her parents, but she was disgusted by their actions and their greed. Greed for the throne of Magadh. Everyone seemed to be after it and conspiring for it. And the most recent conspiracy had claimed the life of Acharya Chanakya, an event that had sent Ashok and all of Magadh into inconsolable grief.

Ahankara owed a lot to Acharya Chanakya. He was responsible for shaping Ashok into the noble and responsible prince that he is today. His timely intervention saved Ashok's life. He played a decisive role in ensuring that she and her brother was freed from the clutches of the monstrous Sushim. If it weren't for Acharya Chanakya and Ashok she would be living a life that would have been worse than death itself.

Her engagement with Sushim was yet another political ploy by her mother to secure her future.

Ahankara was disgusted with herself for being the daughter of such parents. The kind of people that cared about nothing but power.

"Rajkumari."

Someone called her. Ahankara turned to see it was a daasi.

"Acharya Radhagupt wants to meet with you."

Ahankara was surprised. Radhagupt, the cerebral student of Acharya Chanakya, rarely spoke to her. Why would he want to meet her now?

A myriad of questions piqued Ahankara's mind.

"Send him in." Ahankara replied as she stood up. Does it have something to do with Ashok?

"Ekant." Ahankara said as Acharya Radhagupt donned in the white robes and a red shawl walked in. As the daasi left her room Ahankara felt nervousness creep in.

After they exchanged awkward greetings there was a moment of silence. Radhagupt cleared his throat.

"How are you feeling Rajkumari?" he said carefully, trying to make Ahankara comfortable.

"As good as I can be." Ahankara said with a strained smile. Ahankara noticed the sunken eyes of Radhagupt. Looks like he hasn't been sleeping either, and why would he? His guru had died just a week ago. He was going through the same thing as Ashok, probably worse. Acharya Chanakya was the closest thing to a father that Radhagupt had. That is what Ashok told her in their many conversations. Ahankara repressed a sigh thinking wistfully about those many secret rendezvous where it was just her and him. 

"Rajkumari." Radhagupt started. "Do you keep in touch with your people from Ujjain? Do know what is going on there right now?"

The question caught Ahankara off guard. She did know bits and pieces of what was going on in her kingdom. With all that has happened over the past few months she didn't find much time to spare any thoughts for it. The last major event she heard regarding Ujjain was that Acharya Chanakya and Samrat Bindusar went to Ujjain and negotiated a peace treaty. A treaty that saw Senapati Rudra, Ahankara's Acharya appointed as regent until Ahankara's brother came of age.

"Not really." Ahankara replied. "Not since..." Her mother's death.

"I see." Radhagupt said thoughtfully. "I have sent a letter to Senapati Rudra."

Ahankara was taken aback. "Why?"

"Because I need his help," Radhagupt replied. "I need your help. Ashok needs your help."

Ahankara gasped. "Why? What is going on? Is Ashok in danger?"

"Not immediately. No." Radhagupt said quietly. "But he will be."

Ahankara felt a chill creep her spine. She knew Taxilla was dangerous. But she never imagined that it would be anything like her nightmares.

"Rajkumari." Radhagupt began. "Ashok needs your Sena for his Ahbyan in Taxilla."

Ahankara took a deep breath as she pondered over Radhagupt's words.

"Are you saying the Magadh sena are not strong enough to defeat Keechak?" Ahankara asked.

"The issue is more complicated than it looks Rajkumari." Radhagupt replied. "You know Rajkumar Sushim was Acharya Chanakya's original choice. Why is that?"

Ahankara sat down as thoughts swirled her mind. "To protect Ashok?" she asked tentatively.

"Yes." Radhagupt replied. "To protect Ashok. You have seen what has gone on the past month."

Ahankara cringed inwardly as Sushim's gloating face flashed in her mind.

"Ashok has not embraced his role as the Prince of Magadh as he should have." Radhagupt said. "And conversely, there are people who have not accepted Ashok as a Prince yet."

Ahankara thought for a bit. What was Acharya Radhagupt trying to say? That Ashok cannot control the Sena of Magadh?

"The Senapati that is going with Ashok right now," Radhagupt continued. "Is one such individual. He was handpicked by Amatya Khalnatak."

Ahankara felt her stomach churn. "B-but-"

"I know what you are thinking right now." Radhagupt continued. "Amatya Khalnatak is probably the most unlikely person right now who wants to see Ashok live, let alone succeed. However the dice has already been rolled."

Ahankara stood up. She tried to stop her hands from shaking. Is Ashok going to die? Was she once again going to stand by and do nothing?

"Rajkumari." Radhagupt continued. "Ashok is a charismatic youth. He can win over the soldiers eventually. But that is a gamble I am not willing to take."

Ahankara turned her back on Radhagupt. She bit her lip as she tried to stop her tears from flowing. Ahankara pull yourself together.

Radhagupt waited for the Rajkumari to speak. Radhagupt sighed. She is the best hope Ashok has right now.

After what seemed like forever Ahankara spoke in a firm voice that surprised Radhagupt.

"What do you want me to do Acharya?"

Radhagupt hid his smile, "I need you to convince Senapti Rudra to join Ashok at Taxilla."

Ahankara turned towards Radhagupt wiping her eyes. "How will I do that?"

"I don't know if you know this." Radhagupt continued. "But you are the current Rani of Ujjain. All the soldiers there have sworn their oath of loyalty to you. They will do any bidding that you ask of them."

Ahankara was taken aback. She had succeeded her mother. And she didn't even know it.

"I have already sent a letter to Senapati Rudra stating you want to meet him." Radhagupt continued. "I should be getting a reply soon."

Ahankara didn't say anything. She just stared at Radhagupt.

"I am sorry Rajkumari." Radhagupt said apologetically. "I should have asked for your permission. But time is of the essence."

Ahankara couldn't believe it. Here was Ashok's Acharya, asking for her help. When barely a day ago she was the one that needed all the help she could possibly get.

"Rajkumari?" Radhagupt said concernedly. "I am sorry. I guess I should have-"

"I will do it." Ahankara said fiercely. "I will do everything I can to help Ashok."

Radhagupt smiled. "Good." He said with a nod. "I have asked Senapati Rudra to come to the enclave just outside Patliputra. We will meet him there."

"Can't we meet him here?" Ahankara asked curiously. "Shouldn't the Samrat know?"

"I want this to be between us Rajkumari." Radhagupt said with a frown. "The odds are stacked against Ashok as it is."

"Acharya, someone is coming." Radhagupt and Ahankara turned to see it was Ishwari.

Radhagupt turned to Ahankara. "Listen Rajkumari, Ishwari will escort you to the meeting place when it is time. Alright?" 

Ahankara nodded.

"Good." Radhagupt said with a smile and then swiftly left the room.

Ahankara sat down on her bed, re-tracing everything that has gone through the past few moments.

Ahankara thoughtfully looked out to the window. She suddenly remembered something Ashok said once,

"Samay ka bara hi vichatra lakhshan hai...parivartan."

Ahankara smiled as she looked into her palm. The three dotted scars barely visible in the rising sun.

Ahankara heard her brother crying for her. Looks like he is finally up.

She walked over the crib and took the little boy in her arms.

Ashok. It is finally my turn to do something for you.

In the main courtyard at the palace of Patliputra the Magadh Sena were on standby. Waiting for the arrival of their leader, Rajkumar Ashok.

Bindusar walked out of the Palace door clad in his magnificent robes as always with the royal entourage in tow. Rani Dharma was walking next to him, with Rajmata Helena, Rajkumar Siyamak, Maharani Charumitra, Rajkumar Sushim, Rani Subrasi and Rajkumar Drupad trailing them.

Amatya Khalnatak was waiting for them near the stone steps that lead to front court of the palace. His vulture like gaze scanning the surroundings. His eyes widened as Ashok walked in pulling Kulbhushan with him.

Not just his, but every eye turned towards the Rajkumar.

He was no longer in his commoner garbs. But instead he was wearing a majestic golden armor and bright red dhoti. The emblem of Magadh etched on the armor was shining gloriously. His hair was neatly tied back and a golden circlet was wrapped around his forehead, from which the sun rays reflected, glowing brightly. Ashok placed Kulbhusan just ahead of his royal guard. He then turned and scaled the steps quickly, moving towards his family.

Bindusar's chest swelled with pride as he saw his son coming towards him. Ashok touched his feet and Bindusar pulled him into a hug.

"Now," Bindusar said jovially, "You look like a Prince."

Ashok grinned. "Of course Pitaji. I am your son after all."

Bindusar chuckled. "Never wear those rags again." He said in feigning sternness.

"Let's see."Ashok shrugged as he went towards his mother.

Dhrama's face wore an expression of pure elation. She wasn't as glamorously dressed as the other queens, but in simple clothes and minimal jewelry. To a casual observer she looked a bit plain. But to Ashok and Bindusar, Dharma was the most beautiful woman in world.

"Putra." Dhrama smiled as she touched Ashok's face. Ashok touched her feet and then hugged her. "This is the proudest moment of my life." Dharma said as her eyes met Ashok's. "You are taking over your father's duties of protecting Magadh."

Ashok returned her dazzling smile. "Everything I do, I do to make you proud Ma."

"It's not just about me anymore Putra." Dharma replied. "There are many people besides me who have pinned their hopes on you." Ashok nodded. "You have to ensure that the values of Acharya Chanakya live on through your actions." Dharma said looking into Ashok's eyes.

Ashok's mind traveled back to last night when he heard his mother read Acharya Chanakya's last letter to her. It was just as he expected. Acharya in his own words outlined the responsibilities he expected Dharma to fulfill. Sincerely asking her to do her duties as the wife of Bindusar, asking her to do her duties as the queen of Magadh, and asking her to embrace her role as the future Rajmata of Magadh.

Ashok hugged his mother once again. And then he proceeded to exchange pleasantries with the rest of his family.

His Bhrata Sushim and his stepmother Charumitra were barely hiding their rage and revulsion. He just smiled at them and then turned to the Rajmata. Rajmata Helena was wearing the expression of utter serenity which was unsettling. But Ashok continued smiling. I will figure you out someday.

He hugged Drupad and then proceeded to touch Subrasi's feet.

"Vijay Bhava." Subrasi said with a smile. "Take care of yourself."

"I will." Ashok said with a nod.

"Bhrata." Drupad said, "Will you bring something from Taxilla for me?"

"Why not?" Ashok asked, "I will bring the finest things that Taxilla has to offer for you."

He caught Subrasi's eye as he ruffled Drupad's hair. Subrasi smiled.

Ashok then turned to Siyamak. There was a moment of awkward silence between them. Ashok had not spoken to Siyamak since his outburst at the sparring arena. Siyamak was avoiding his eyes. The anxiousness was suffocating.

"I know things are not as great between us as I would like them to be." Ashok said quietly. "I doubt they ever will be. But in case I don't return, please do forgive me, my brother. I was only doing my duty."

Siyamak looked up at him, his eyes barely withholding the tempest of emotions.

"Return safely." Siyamak said abruptly and ran off. Ashok followed Siyamak as he disappeared from the scene. Rajmata as expected was running after him.

Ashok saw Radhagupt brushing past the Rajmata. Radhagupt stole a glance at Rajmata before walking towards Ashok. Radhagupt handed Ashok a scroll before pointing him towards another direction.

Rajkumari Ahankara had arrived. Ashok felt the suffocating anxiety leaving him. Ashok walked towards her

"Please be careful Ashok." Ahankara said concernedly, her eyes latching onto him. Out of the corner of his own eyes Ashok could see everyone was looking towards them.

"I will. I promise." Ashok replied. Ashok looked into Ahankara's eyes which were looking at him as if there was no tomorrow. The locks of her hair dancing in the breeze. He thought he had said goodbye to her last night. He was set to leave before dawn today. But fate and Acharya Radhagupt had other plans. With great effort Ashok pulled his gaze away from her and walked towards his father.

Bindusar was curiously looking towards his son. He never, for even a moment bought the lie that Ashok fed him in prison. And it irked him ceaselessly that his son would have to lie to the extent he did. Bindusar brushed away his thoughts. He needed to focus on the matter at hand.

He called the attendants as Ashok stood before him. The first attendant brought the sword of his father. Bindusar suppressed a shudder as he took his father's sword. Bindusar never felt worthy of wielding that sword. Despite what everyone would say to spare his feelings, he knew full well that his father, Chandragupt Maurya was a far greater Samrat than him. And the youth that stood before him was the one who deserved to wield that sword. Because this youth had the potential to surpass Chandragupt himself.

Bindusar smiled. He held the sword as Ashok knelt down on his knees and extended his hands.

"My son." Bindusar said, "You are the pride and glory of Magadh now." He slowly placed the sword into Ashok's waiting hands. "Lead our Sena to victory."

Ashok took the sword and brushed his lips on the blade. He put the sword in the specially made sheath and stood up.

"I will not let you down father." Ashok said confidently.

The second attendant handed Bindusar a large gold coin which had a lion brilliantly emblazoned on it, the symbol of the Mauryan dynasty.

"I heard that Keechak has introduced his own coinage." Bindusar said holding the coin before Ashok's eyes. "Once you take control of Taxilla, you will re-introduce our coinage. Coinage is one of the biggest symbols of authority Putra. Our symbol being in the coins indicates that any trade that takes place, it is in our name. And the trade takes place in accordance to the values that were formed by my father, Samrat Chandragupt and Acharya Chanakya."

Ashok nodded as Dharma looked on the exchange between father and son affectionately.

"And know this Putra, this coin will enable you to draw support from other fort and provincial leaders. Possession of this coin grants you authority. Use it well."

Ashok took the coin and stared at it. The lion emblazoned ignited Ashok's spirit.

"I will restore the Mauryan authority in Taxilla father." Ashok said determinedly. "I will rid the region of injustice." He carefully placed the coin in his pouch. He then knelt down and touched Bindusar's feet.

"Vijay Bhava." Bindusar said proudly. Ashok stood up. With one last nod towards his father, he smiled and waved towards the rest of his family and Ahankara. He then turned around proceeded to descend down the steps and leaped onto Kulbhushan's back. Dharma locked her hands around Bindusar's arm. Both of them beaming at one another.

"Alright men." Ashok shouted taking the reins of Kulbhushan. "Forward!"

Khalnatak looked on as Ashok led the Sena through the gates of the palace. He was feeling outraged. Rajkumar Ashok had ignored him completely.

Calm down Khalnatak. Calm down. No need to lose your cool over such trivial matters.

Bindusar and Dharma were oblivious to the antics of the Mahamatya. Both of them blissfully gazed on as their son marched ahead with the grand army of Magadh.

Radhagupt was looking towards Khalnatak with a bemused smile. His gaze then shifted towards the members of the royal family that wore expressions similar to the Amatya's. Radhagupt smirked.

Jitna bhi yojna banani hai, banalo, jitna bhi sharyantra rachani hai rachalo. Saare ke saare befaal hoyenge. I, Radhagupt, shishya of Acharya Chanakya will see to that.

Chapter 5: The Rendezvous

Four days have passed since Ashok had departed for Taxilla. The palace felt strangely empty without his presence. Not that Siyamak felt that way anymore. At least he was trying to convince himself not to.

It was hard for Siyamak to deal with the torrents of emotions in his heart. So many things have happened the past year. He has lost everything. Everything he cherished has been crushed to pieces. The world that believed he lived in was nothing but an illusion.

And Siyamak blamed Ashok for everything. At least he wanted to. Or Rajmata Helena wanted him to.

It was easy to blame Ashok. His long lost Bhrata. It was so easy to blame his brother for all the troubles he was facing. Rajmata Helena constantly hounded him trying to etch these words into his mind.

"Ashok will take everything away from you."

He foolishly believed his Bhrata Sushim when he tried to instigate him against Ashok. He later found out from his Pitaji that Ashok was arguing with him to allow Siyamak to participate in the debate competition to decide who will be the Prabhari Raja.

And since then any negative thing that anyone said against Ashok, he took it with a pinch of salt.

At least until he saw Ashok murdering his mother.</p><p>Murder. That is what Siyamak would like to call it. But deep down, he knew full well that his mother was a traitor that was trying to kill everyone in his family. To ensure that he, Siyamak ascends the throne of Magadh. Siyamak had a hard time accepting that.

Memories of his mother flooded his mind. Tender memories of her warm embrace, her comforting scent and her sweet lullaby.

But amidst all that Siyamak remembered the venom that his mother harbored for Ashok. He didn't heed it too much at the time. His mentor, Rajkumar Justin always told him to ignore the rants and tantrums of his mother.

Siyamak's heart throbbed painfully. His mentor. His Kaka Justin, was a good man. Despite what the world says, he knew that his Kaka was a good man. He saw Justin fighting to protect him, his mother, and his family. As far as Siyamak knew his Kaka was a valiant man who was unjustly killed. Siyamak didn't care if it was foolish of him to think that way.

Rajmata Helena blamed Ashok for that as well. Why was everyone after Ashok? Siyamak couldn't understand. Ashok was protecting his Acharya from the false accusations of that Rajdrohi Rajaji Raj. He was doing his duty. Ashok did not force Justin to take the blame.

And Siyamak couldn't understand why Justin took the blame upon himself.

Siyamak stood on the balcony looking into the darkness. Tonight it was pitch black. The moon and the stars were absent. The only light was from the torches of the palace. Eerie shadows from the patrolling guards made the scenery morbid and ominous.

Suddenly the guards were not around anymore. Something caught Siyamak's eye. Hooded figures were creeping around the corridor. Siyamak called for the guards. But no one responded.

He quickly grabbed a sword from the rack and ran down the stairs. When he reached the scene it was empty. He kept looking around but they were no where in sight.

"Rajkumar." Siyamak turned to see it was the guards. "Is something the matter?"

"Is something the matter?" Siyamak repeated through gritted teeth. "Where the hell were you?"

The guards looked at one another nervously.</p><p>"We went to get a drink. We were thirsty."

"You could have gone one after another!" Siyamak roared. "Do you not know the protocols of being a guard? Who the hell appointed you?!" The guards hung their head in shame.

"Siyamak?"

Siyamak turned to see it was the Rajmata. Siyamak rolled his eyes.

Why doesn't she leave me alone? She is so bloody insufferable.

"What is the matter Siyamak?" Helena asked concernedly. "You can tell your Pitamahi."

"Shut up." Siyamak snapped. He turned to the guards. "You!" He said pointing to the guard on the left. "Come with me. And you! Alert all the guards. The palace is possibly infiltrated. Get someone to notify Pitaji as well."
Before Helena could say anything Siyamak stormed off into the passage around the corner of the corridor.

Helena was shocked into absolute silence. The remaining guard bowed to her and then left. She stood there in the corridor like a statue. The silence was deafening. Siyamak's behavior didn't really surprise her. She was never really nice to him. Not while Justin was alive.

Helena suppressed her tears. If only she knew. She would have taken a different approach. And her son would have been alive today.

Helena was not the best mother. Her faux warmth could fool Bindusar into thinking that but Justin was proof that she was a failure as a mother. She was well aware of her shortcomings in this aspect.

She spent the better part of her life as a mother trying to grow venom in Justin's heart. The same venom that she festered because of Chandragupt's cold indifference towards her.

But Justin had inherited more Mauryan traits than she would have liked. Despite Justin's pretensions she knew that he never hated Bindusar. Deep down in his heart Justin dearly loved his younger brother. He had so many chances to kill Bindusar but he never had the heart to do it. Try as Helena did she could not make Justin do it.

And deep inside her mind she wondered if the spiteful nature of her parenting had sapped away Justin's potential.

She wondered if she had instead nurtured Justin with love and helped him focus on developing his own abilities, Justin could have been chosen by Samrat Chandragupt as his successor.

But Helena remembered, that from the offset, Chandragupt's and that insufferable rogue Chanakya's preference was for Bindusar. Despite Justin displaying more talent in his growing years, despite Justin showing more passion towards his princely duties, he was always overlooked in favor of the inferior brother. At least that is what Helena perceived.

Helena shook her head. She needed to gather her guptchar.

An infiltration in the palace? Who is this new enemy?

On the outskirts of Patliputra a lone cart was pulling away unnoticed in the darkness.

On the outskirts of Patliputra a lone cart was pulling away unnoticed in the darkness.

Inside Ahankara and Ishwarii were sitting next to each other, black robes pulled around their faces. It was a close call. Acharya Radhagupt had given them a five minute window to sneak out. But Rajkumar Siyamak almost caught them.

"We won't get caught will we?" Ahankara asked worriedly.

"Don't worry." Ishwari said with a sly smile. "Our guptchar will handle everything."

Ahankara nodded. She hoped the girl that was posing as herself in the palace right now does not get discovered.

Radhagupt was waiting outside a well hidden cave with his personal guards. Around them was a dense forest. It was on the southern side of Patliputra. Radhagupt carefully chose this spot for two key reasons. One, it was easier to get Rajkumari Ahanakara there. Two, no one would look for them there. Although it would have been difficult for Senapati Rudra to find that place, Radhagupt's guptchar will make sure that he gets there.

Radhagupt was getting the hang of being in command. Yes, there were times when he took over Acharya Chanakaya's mantle. But this time it was for the long haul.

Radhagupt looked out to the sky. It was ominously void of the moon and the stars. A rare sight in Magadh. Looks like God was favoring him tonight.

Radhagupt turned to see a cart conspicuously rolling out of the forest. A lone lamp illuminated the path ahead of it.

The cart halted before Radhagupt. And two hooded figures stepped down from it.

The driver descended with the lamp and stood next to the two passengers.

"Ishwari." Radhagupt said irately. "What took you so long?"

"I am sorry Acharya." Ishwari said quietly. "Rajkumar Siyamak had spotted us while we were leaving."

Radhagupt clicked his toungue irritably. "Don't tell me he saw your faces."

"I don't think so." Ishwari said assuredly. "We were in our cloaks."

Radhagupt sighed. "Are you okay Rajkumari?"

"I am fine." Ahankara replied, "Has Acharya Rudra arrived?"

"Not yet." Radhagupt replied. "You should go in. Too many people shouldn't gather here right now. All we know Siyamak might have alerted the guards and they are tearing through Patliputra. The Magadh security is on high alert."

"Damn it." Radhagupt muttered as the the two women stepped into the cave. This plan was risky enough as it was. He didn't need the Magadh guards hounding him right now.

It wasn't until the half an hour had passed, that Radhagupt saw the cart he was waiting for hauling through the rugged terrain.

A figure quickly jumped out of it. He grabbed the lamp from the driver and walked up to Radhagupt.

He was younger than Radhagupt expected. Average in height. His facial features were well defined with a strong jaw line indicating his strong build. Like any other warrior in Bharat he had a finely trimmed moustache that framed his mouth. He was donned in the black and grey Ujjaini robes. A decorated sword hung from his belt.

"Senapati Rudra." Radhagupt said tersely. "Finally."

"Where is Rani Ahankara?" Rudra asked quietly.

"Inside." Radhagupt replied pointing to the cave. "Shall we?"

Rudra nodded. Radhagupt led him into the cave. His guards trailing him. None of them noticed several figures shadowing them as they entered the cave.

Radhagupt led Rudra and the rest through the passage into the inner sanctum of the cave. At the middle of which Rajkumari Ahankara stood with Ishwari her hood pulled over.

"Your majesty." Rudra croaked as his eyes found Ahankara.

Ahankara bit her lip as tears poured down her face. It was after so long that she was seeing his face. He was her guru. Her solace when her father and mother were busy fretting over courtly matters. After her father ascended the throne of Ujjain her parents rarely spared time for her. They were always busy plotting. Acharya Rudra was always there for her. Acharya Rudra was the one who taught her how to ride a horse, how to fight with shastra. And she was glad he was the one who became the Senapati and now regent of Ujjain.

"Acharya..."

"It's alright." Rudra said. "I am here."

"So shall we get to the matter at hand?" Radhagupt asked.

"Of course!" Rudra said menacingly. "Sipahiyo!"

And instantly they were surrounded by Ujjaini soldiers.

Radhagupt sighed. "Damned Ujjanis. Guards!"

And Radhagupt's guards drew their swords as well. And more guptchar came out of their hiding places. Radhagupt's guards outnumbered Rudra's men.

Rudra was taken aback.

"I am not a fool that fumbles in the darkness Senapati Rudra." Radhagupt continued his scowl set on Rudra. "I knew you were going to attempt something as underhanded as this."

Rudra drew his sword. "Doesn't matter. We are taking Rani Ahankara with us no matter what."

"Stop it Acharya!" Ahankara cried.

"Don't worry your majesty." Rudra said advancing towards Radhagupt. "I will free you from these Magadh scum."

Radhagupt stood his ground. As Rudra advanced towards him Radhagupt gestured to his guards to remain standing. Rudra raised his sword.

"ACHARYA STOP!" Ahankara shrieked and ran between Radhagupt and Rudra. She faced Rudra and spread her arms shielding Radhagupt.

Rudra's eyes widened in surprise. He stood in front of her shaking with rage.

"Why are you protecting these scums your highness?" Rudra spat. "These Magadh people always treated us like trash. They killed your parents. They have imprisoned you and Yuvraj Nakula! Their governors and merchants rob us in broad daylight. And you are protecting them?"

Ahankara didn't cower in front of Rudra's tirade. She responded with even more ferocity.

"I have seen how tyrannic a Mauryan can be first hand Acharya! I have experienced it first hand. Stop treating me like some clueless damsel!"

Rudra's rage faltered. He lowered his sword and it hung by his side. He gaped at Ahankara. "But...then...why?"

"Because I have also seen how just and benevolent a Mauryan can be." Ahankara said simply. "And like you once told me Acharya, we reap what we sow. If we have suffered it is because of what our King and Queen did. If I and my brother have suffered it is because of what my father and mother did."

Rudra took heavy breaths trying to calm himself. "I still don't understand Rani Ahankara. Please...tell me everything...Sipahiyo. Stand down."

Rudra's men lowered their swords. Radhagupt nodded and his guards followed suit. Except for a few that stood close to Radhagupt.

Ahankara then recounted everything that happened over the past few months since the Lakhsagraha incident. Everything. How Sushim turned against her and tried to get her punished. How Ashok intervened and protected her life. How Rani Niharika attempted a siege but then resorted to a peace treaty. Only to attempt another conspiracy. How she, without caring for her daughter gave her away to Rajkumar Sushim. As Ahankara recounted as to how cruelly Sushim had treated her Rudra was shaking with rage. But when she recounted how Ashok was set to sacrifice his life for her Rudra's rage died away.

"...and the same Rajkumar needs our help right now." Ahankara implored to Rudra. "Please. Help him. Please protect him. For me."

Rudra swallowed and looked towards Radhagupt.

"I know what our zamindar have been doing in Ujjain." Radhagupt said quietly. "I know that there are some serious issues that need to be addressed. I promise you. The people of Ujjain will get the rights they deserve. The kingdom of Ujjain will get the honor it deserves. But right now I need you to help me protect the Rajkumar that can get Ujjain all of it."

Rudra looked down contemplating everything that he heard the past few moments. How could Rani Niharika be so heartless. How could she just destroy her daughter's life like that? Rani Ahankara was right. We do reap what we sow. The Magadh government was corrupt.

But what is the point of freedom if we become worse than the ones we despise? What was the point of obtaining power if we destroy the lives of those we care for?

"So what is the plan Acharya?" Rudra asked reluctantly. Radhagupt folded his arms and smiled. Ahankara's face lit up with elation.

"I need you to muster your swiftest troops and leave for Taxilla." Radhagupt said. "We will discuss the details at a more convenient time."

Rudra nodded. Ahankara's smile widened.

"It's time to return to the palace Rajkumari. We will leave by ones and twos." Radhagupt said quietly. He heard Rudra grumbling behind him. "Ishwari." He called to his diminutive guptchar. "Make sure she returns safely. Undetected." Radhagupt added.

Ishwari nodded.

"I leave her in your hands." Radhagupt said dismissing them. Ahankara said her farewell to her people and swiftly exited the cave.

Rudra sighed. "Well played Acharya Radhagupt. Well played."

Radhagupt smirked. "Oh. The game has just begun."

As Radhagupt waited with the strange band of people he assembled tonight in the cave, he wondered how far Ashok had traversed with his troops.

The Yunani sailors are going on a wild goose chase.

Leave your thoughts below. Hope you enjoyed

Chapter 6: The Mole

It was midnight in the palace of Patliputra. Rajkumar...no Yuvraj Sushim was still awake. But inebriated and dizzy.

Sushim was fostering a fondness for Madira. It was a great way to numb his pain and satiate his rage. Pain of being overlooked by his father. And rage towards his younger brother. Ashok.

Ashok the Tuchprani. His prodigious brother has been a thorn by his side the second he showed up. But thankfully that thorn will drown in the seas in just a few days. Information from an unexpected source in form of Amatya Rakshas has been beneficial for him. He did not share it with his Mahamatya yet. After all he had promised his new ally not to. 

As long as that Tuchprani was out of his way he was happy.  Which is why he was celebrating. He would have preferred to have some dancing girls around him. But with the Samrat around he will just have to content himself with Madira.

He recently took a sabbatical from his elixir. Because of what happened that night.

He was also drunk that night. Torturing that Rajdrohi was so enjoyable. And when Ashok showed up he had expected that he could hold his own long enough for the guards to arrest Ashok on the charges of attacking him. Later in the court he could accuse Ashok and Ahankara of trying to elope. Ahankara's spirit or whatever was left of it will be crushed as he will make her watch Ashok executed for his alleged actions as Agradhoot. Killing two birds in one stone. But the birds nearly killed him instead. 

Hazy details still haunted him. Sushim had to admit that Ashok had surpassed him as a warrior. In a head-on fight he could no longer best his Anuj. 

In such a short time that Tuchprani accomplished so much. It made his blood boil. 

Sushim took another sip from the goblet. Sushim had a hard time keeping his

cool whenever he thought of Ashok. And if there was anyone else that infuriated

him more it was Ahankara.&nbsp;That putri of the Rajdrohi. She was as good as a Rajdrohi in his eyes.

Sushim smashed the goblet on the floor when memories of what happened the day after Ashok left came back.

Sushim had gone to toy with the Rajdrohi since he was feeling bored. And without Ashok he assumed it would be an easy task.

"You cannot go any further Rajkumar." The guards stood in front of him blocking his path.

"What is the meaning of this?!" Sushim growled at the guard.

"I am sorry Rajkumar," The guard replied. "You are not allowed in this zone until Rajkumari Ahankara's new residence is completed."

"By whose orders?!" Sushim knew the answer as soon as he asked it. "Samrat Bindusar. He himself said that unless I hear it from him personally I cannot to allow to go into this zone."

Sushim clenched his fists. He felt like hitting the guard.

"What's the matter Yuvraj?"

He turned to see it was Vasunandan and Subhao. Sushim rolled his eyes.

"Is everything okay Rajan?" Subhao squeaked in an eerie imitation of Khalnatak.

It made Sushim's rage spike even more. 

"An insubordination of the Rajan's wishes?" Vasunandan joined in. "Shall I call Mahamatya to-" Sushim grabbed Vasunandan's neck in a vice grip. The guards and Subhao immediately grabbed his arm and tried to wrest Vasunandan free. It was to no avail. Sushim then saw his mother walking through the corridor. Sushi threw Vasunandan and pushed away the guards. He gave a gasping Vasunandan a murderous glare and then stormed away.

Sushim sat on his chair trying to calm himself. He remembered his mother's words from that day. He should not be wasting in his energy on such trivial matters.

But what was there he could do? He felt caged in the palace. There was nothing

worthwhile that he could do. Not while his father was around. He had gotten used to the freedom he had when he was Prabhari Raja.

And now suddenly he was treated like a criminal in his own palace. Sushim smashed his fist on the armrest.

He heard a commotion outside his room. In his drunken state he swayed towards

the door. He saw guards running around the palace.

Not another attack. God how many times has it been this year?

He went towards his bed to get his sword. But his fatigue and his drunkenness overtook his senses and he lost consciousness.

On the outskirts of Patliputra the sun was rising. Radhagupt made it back to the cave after seeing off Senapati Rudra. He managed to evade the guards without too much trouble. He entered the now empty sanctum and layed out a mat. The palace knows that he had gone out of town to do Puja for Chanakya. He was going to return tomorrow.

It has been a fruitful night. Radhagupt smiled. He managed to give the specific directions as to where Senapati Rudra will find Ashok if he starts tomorrow. His letter to another Khurasani Sardar had also reached successfully. He had yet to receive a reply.

Radhagupt sat down and leaned on the smooth surface of the cave walls.

Radhagupt furrowed his eyebrow. All this effort that he put has only managed to negate most of the odds of Ashok being killed. Ashok's life was still at threat. He had exhausted every measure possible to protect Ashok. But there were elements that were out of his control. And there were scenarios he couldn't predict. He wasn't Acharya Chanakya. He couldn't plot out a flawless plan. Not because he didn't have faith in his intellect. He just did not have the weight of authority that Acharya Chanakya had in the Magadh court. To plot a flawless plan he needed to control all the pieces of the puzzle. And a key piece was already controlled by someone else. The Senapati that the Mahamatya chose was Subhao's father. 

Unlike Subhao who had warmed up to Ashok, Subhao's father remained a staunch supporter of Rajkumar Sushim. It was difficult to say what instructions the Mahamatya had given to him.

Sudheshan was a crafty man. He would have been a good choice if Rajkumar Sushim had gone as originally planned. But with Ashok going instead it was hard to say how it was going to pan out. Right now Radhagupt couldn't know what was going to happen. All he could do is hope for the best.

He closed his eyes to take a short rest. Only rest was hard to come by as nightmarish images clouded his mind.

Meanwhile in the forest of Assandh not far from the city. The Magadh Army was encamped around a lake. In the royal tent Ashok was meeting with his Senapati and Senanayaks. They were standing around the map.

"Rajkumar I thought we were going by the sea route." A Senanayak asked. He was rugged in appearance and lean in build. He had a scar on his left cheek. 

"Who told you that we were going to go by the Samudri Marg?" Ashok asked with an arched eyebrow.

"Samrat Bindusar told me." He replied coolly.

"Really?" Ashok decided to let that lie slide for now. "Never mind. We are sticking to the original plan." Ashok replied.

"Why?" He persisted. Ashok frowned. Ever since the journey started Sudheshan

has been trying to undermine his command. Trying to drive a wedge between him and the soldiers.

"Because the enemy has found out that we were going to go by sea." Ashok snapped.

Sudheshan grumbled but he didn't ask any more questions. The rest of the Senanayak looked at one another uncomfortably. 

"From what our scouts have managed to gather." Ashok continued ignoring Sudheshan. "Keechak has established several outposts all around Sindh. From where they conduct regular raids. We need to destroy all of them before we proceed. Otherwise they may cut off our supplies.

The Senanayaks nodded. One them confidently said. "Since they are raiding parties it should not be too much of a problem."

"Should not be." Ashok replied with a smile. "You guys have been dealing with these kind of raiders before I was born." Ashok joked.

The Senanayaks chuckled. Sudheshan continued scowling.

"Rajkumar Ashok. What is the plan though? Are we going to march into Taxilla?

Or do we have to conduct a siege?"

Ashok scratched his chin trying to put his thoughts into words. 

"According to Pitaji's instructions we are supposed to march to Taxilla, take control of the city and arrest Keechak. However." Ashok paused. His eyes drifted towards the Yunani region on the map. He remembered Acharya Radhagupt's words. "It is difficult to say how strong Keechak's Army is." Ashok said folding his arms. 

"So what is the plan?" Sudheshan snapped. Ashok glared at him.

"I am getting there." Ashok said through gritted teeth. He turned to the Senanayaks.

"We are going to cut off the trade routes to the city and attempt to force a surrender." Ashok said summing up the plan that Acharya Radhagupt outlined. 

"Won't the inhabitants suffer even more?" a Senanayak spoke. "Keechak might oppress them even more by increasing taxes."

"If we conduct a siege then he will use the civilians as shields." Ashok replied. "Keechak only cares about the wealth that traders take there because he needs it to fund his mercenaries. We will have the traders conduct the businesses in our captured outposts. Additionally we are going to conduct raids of our own. Frequent enough that Keechak starts sending out his armies. If the raids are effective enough Keechak might lead his army himself to fight a decisive battle." 

"So basically we are flushing Keechak out like a rat?" A Senanayak asked excitedly.

"Pretty much." Ashok said confidently. The Senanayak smiled, impressed with the plan.

"But." Sudheshan interrupted. "Can we win when Keechak does decide to come out?"

Ashok looked at Sudheshan coldly.

"I have faith in my Sena." Ashok replied. "Maybe you should too." 

"I do have faith in them." Sudheshan sneered. "I just don't have faith in an individual who has been a Prince for only a few days." 

Ashok clenched his fist. He walked up to Sudheshan meeting his gaze with a carefully controlled ferocity. 

"I know you don't accept me as a Rajkumar Sudheshan ji." Ashok said quietly. "I don't expect you to. I don't need you to. I am not here just because I am a Prince. I am the Maha Yoddha of Magadh. And I have been chosen by Samrat Bindusar to lead you. If you cannot respect me, at least respect the orders of our Samrat. That is all I expect from you. From all of you."

The rest of the Senanayak looked at one another and nodded.

"We like your plan Rajkumar Ashok." One of the elderly Senanayaks spoke. "It is

well thought out and entails less risk."

Sudheshan looked livid. Ashok turned towards his Senanayaks and smiled. 

Shreh should be given to Acharya Radhagupt.

"Rajkumar Ashok!" A guard suddenly burst into the tent. "The city of Assandh is being attacked." Ashok clenched his fists.

He has reached all way here. Has he become this powerful? 

Ashok turned to his Senanayak and he said in a firm voice. "Prepare the Sena. We are moving out."

"Senanayak Aadarsh." Ashok turned to his cavalry commander. He was a tall burly man. He wore heavy armor and carried a broad sword. Of all the Senanayaks, Aadarsh has been the most obedient. "I will be leading with you. The Magadh cavalry should be there as soon as possible to minimize the casualties."

Aadarsh quietly bowed and left. Ashok turned to address the commanders of the heavy chariot and infantry divisions. "The rest of you march after all of you mobilize. We will camp at Assandh tonight after we drive off the raiders."

"Yes Rajkumar." The Senanayaks said together with a bow. Ashok then walked to his royal chest. He drew out his grandfather's sword and fastened it around his back. Without another word Ashok then dashed out of the tent. The servants bowed as he went out. Sudheshan stood quietly as the Senanayak followed Rajkumar Ashok.

"I need to let Amatya Khalnatak know." Sudheshan muttered. "The ambush should proceed as planned." 

Sudheshan walked out of the tent. When Yuvraj Sushim told him last night that

they were going by the Samudri Marg he was naturally surprised. And impressed. It was a bold plan. He didn't realize that the rag Prince was capable of such.

He wanted to tell Amatya Khalnatak but he didn't do so on the Yuvraj's request. And now he was glad he didn't. 

If Ashok was going to proceed by the usual plan. Then we will too.

It's a shame. We will lose so many experienced Yoddha. But small price to pay for the future of Yuvraj Sushim. And of course his Private Army will be getting some much needed practice. 

The sky was cloudy. Looks like it was going to rain.

Suddheshan smirked.

So that's why you insisted on the chariots Mahamatya.

To be continued...

Leave your thoughts below.

Will be posting a new chapter today.