Anyone else think Rohit looks like a young Vinod Khanna?

inlieu thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago
#1
I was just watching Alexander's entry scene in episodes 17 and 18 and noticed something. Anyone else think Rohit looks like a young Vinod Khanna sometimes, especially with his helmet? He reminded me a little bit of him, especially in the entry scene and the way he said his dialogues. (Vinod Khanna is one of my all-time favorite actors by the way!)

Check this out:
https://youtu.be/Iacj6bxpGu0?list=PLzufeTFnhupzyzlwG-jtFKVshYyEuzKIi&t=464
Edited by inlieu - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

22

Views

1813

Users

4

Likes

56

Frequent Posters

sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 5 years ago
#2
No, Rohit  is  much handsomer than Vinod Khanna, whom I also liked a lot. 

In  his close ups without the helmet, Rohit  also looks totally western - which  is one reason his Alexander is so  perfect -  only better looking than most of their actors. 

Reverting to Vinod Khanna and Rohit, it is in the eyes. Vinod Khanna had smaller eyes, and their placement was not as good. Rohit has large, perfectly placed eyes, and they are far more expressive than Vinod Khanna's.

 Also Vinod Khanna's mouth was usually grim looking. He was a good actor, but generally looked rather stern and rigid in his facial expressions. 

I would rate Rohit higher all round, but then Vinod Khanna was a  star. Rohit will need a lot of luck to get there. I wish him all the very best for that to happen soon.

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: inlieu

I was just watching Alexander's entry scene in episodes 17 and 18 and noticed something. Anyone else think Rohit looks like a young Vinod Khanna sometimes, especially with his helmet? He reminded me a little bit of him, especially in the entry scene and the way he said his dialogues. (Vinod Khanna is one of my all-time favorite actors by the way!)

Check this out:
https://youtu.be/Iacj6bxpGu0?list=PLzufeTFnhupzyzlwG-jtFKVshYyEuzKIi&t=464

Vicariously thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
#3
A friend of mine told me out of no where that he ressembles Pulkit Samrat when I was sending her long long paragraphs in praise of his performance as Alexander. I was like Huh ? You said he ressembles Pulku ? *blocked* (Yes, I am this petty 😆) But than I went to look for Pulkit Samrat's pics on google image and I came to conclude that she may have some points 😆 There is indeed some ressemblance with him comparing their respective strong facial structure, and to some traits but of course Rohit remains above him in terms of performance
Vicariously thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
#4

Originally posted by: sashashyam

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">No, Rohit is much handsomer than Vinod Khanna, whom I also liked a lot.</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">In his close ups without the helmet, Rohit also looks totally western - which is one reason his Alexander is so perfect - only better looking than most of their actors.</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">Reverting to Vinod Khanna and Rohit, it is in the eyes. Vinod Khanna had smaller eyes, and their placement was not as good. Rohit has large, perfectly placed eyes, and they are far more expressive than Vinod Khanna's.</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">Also Vinod Khanna's mouth was usually grim looking. He was a good actor, but generally looked rather stern and rigid in his facial expressions.</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">I would rate Rohit higher all round, but then Vinod Khanna was a star. Rohit will need a lot of luck to get there. I wish him all the very best for that to happen soon.</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">Shyamala Aunty</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">
</font>




Bang on Aunty ! I went to look for Vinod Khanna's pics on google image and even his young age pics gave off that really vintage, static and rigid vibes and facial expressions. He looked cristallised in the endorsement of what makes a real male lead in the context of that time. But Rohit's yet to reach this level of acknowledgement and fame by his confreres.
inlieu thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago
#5
Agree Aunty. Rohit is far more handsome than Vinod Khanna. 

It's not just his green eyes, but his sharp nose and jawline that give him that royal look. I also think Rohit is blessed with the kind of looks that would allow him to play Eastern or Western characters equally well. He looked completely convincing as a Bohemian Mirza Altunia and of course he rounded out his superb character portrayal with great performances. No wonder he has a huge Arab, Persian, and Malaysian fan following because of that role. It goes without saying that he's only grown immensely since and his stint as Alexander overshadows any of his previous work, and that of most of his contemporaries.

What I am most impressed by is how he never fails to add layers to every scene that are probably not even explicitly in the script. He is going to be a bigger star than Vinod Khanna if he continues to work this way, but as you've said before, he can't be doing one show every 2-3 years. Audiences these days have short-term memory so if he's out of sight he'll be out of mind. 

About Rohit's eyes ... I've been noticing how he narrows or widens them in scenes to great effect, and for some scenes all you see are his slanted eyelids that creates a wonderful look and feel. He also uses blinking, or even half-blinks as I call them, to great effect. In one millisecond he can portray a change in mood using only his eyes without moving a single facial muscle. 

In one of his instagram posts with a close-up of his face, he even quoted Marlon Brando:
In a close up, the audience is only inches away, and your face becomes the stage. 

And boy does Rohit's face become a stage every single time!! King of nano-expressions, this guy! 👏

Edit: One more thing... you can tell how hard he works on his diction if you compare his dialog delivery with his usual way of speaking during interviews, where some of his words can be muffled or not articulated enough. He's such a hardworking guy, I feel like in some strange way he's carried a huge part of the burden of this show on his very able and strong shoulders. I feel very proud of his work in this show. He's a very grounded person and you can see how much he's improved even during this show. It's only been a few months but already you can see how convincingly he portrays over time an insecure Alexander, unsure of his future as heir to the throne, and his journey to becoming a world conquerer, confident and very clear about his goals. His body language, dialogue delivery, etc. all perfection.


Originally posted by: sashashyam

No, Rohit  is  much handsomer than Vinod Khanna, whom I also liked a lot. 

In  his close ups without the helmet, Rohit  also looks totally western - which  is one reason his Alexander is so  perfect -  only better looking than most of their actors. 

Reverting to Vinod Khanna and Rohit, it is in the eyes. Vinod Khanna had smaller eyes, and their placement was not as good. Rohit has large, perfectly placed eyes, and they are far more expressive than Vinod Khanna's.

 Also Vinod Khanna's mouth was usually grim looking. He was a good actor, but generally looked rather stern and rigid in his facial expressions. 

I would rate Rohit higher all round, but then Vinod Khanna was a  star. Rohit will need a lot of luck to get there. I wish him all the very best for that to happen soon.

Shyamala Aunty

Edited by inlieu - 5 years ago
Vicariously thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
#6
Aunty I still remember how you made that apt comparison of Rohit's close ups in yesterday's episode resembling a Caesar's coin. With the stubble up blond chevelure that looks more like a lion's mane these days, he does look royal at it's finest.
sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 5 years ago
#7
Absolutely. The boy has a micrometer inside  his head.

There was one point I forgot to include in my latest cockfight post. This was when he is getting Roxanne to drink to his "victory" over Porus and she is jibbing as usual.

When he asks her the first time, his chin goes  up slightly to reinforce the request, for that is what it is at  that stage. 

A little later, when he has finished telling  her Mera tajurba hai, Roxanne,   ki jo pehla morcha jeet ta hai, fateh usi ki hoti hai, his eyelids and eyebrows go up peremptorily to reinforce a slight shake of the head. It is now a command, and Roxanne recognises it as such and accepts the goblet.

I simply loved it. It is such a pleasure to see a fine actor at work. But I don't  expect that even 1% of the viewers noted and appreciated it.

And look at the way he walks away to the table in his latest scene with Roxanne. The back is ramrod straight, but  still the gait, the way he walks, is not stiff, but graceful and smooth like that of  a trained athlete. I liked that too.

Finally, if he quotes Marlon Brando,  he also has intellectual heft as an actor. Brando went to seed too soon, but in his early films,  like The Wi ld Ones,  A streetcar named desire, he was unbelievably good, an actor's actor. 

 Rohit should just take this role as training  for far better things.  He should try hard to move on to films soon.  Fingers and toes crossed. He is too good for this present medium.

Shyamala 


Originally posted by: inlieu

Agree Aunty. Rohit is far more handsome than Vinod Khanna. 

It's not just his green eyes, but his sharp nose and jawline that give him that royal look. I also think Rohit is blessed with the kind of looks that would allow him to play Eastern or Western characters equally well. He looked completely convincing as a Bohemian Mirza Altunia and of course he rounded out his superb character portrayal with great performances. No wonder he has a huge Arab, Persian, and Malaysian fan following because of that role. It goes without saying that he's only grown immensely since and his stint as Alexander overshadows any of his previous work, and that of most of his contemporaries.

What I am most impressed by is how he never fails to add layers to every scene that are probably not even explicitly in the script. He is going to be a bigger star than Vinod Khanna if he continues to work this way, but as you've said before, he can't be doing one show every 2-3 years. Audiences these days have short-term memory so if he's out of sight he'll be out of mind. 

About Rohit's eyes ... I've been noticing how he narrows or widens them in scenes to great effect, and for some scenes all you see are his slanted eyelids that creates a wonderful look and feel. He also uses blinking, or even half-blinks as I call them, to great effect. In one millisecond he can portray a change in mood using only his eyes without moving a single facial muscle. 

In one of his instagram posts with a close-up of his face, he even quoted Marlon Brando:
In a close up, the audience is only inches away, and your face becomes the stage. 

And boy does Rohit's face become a stage every single time!! King of nano-expressions, this guy! 👏

Edit: One more thing... you can tell how hard he works on his diction if you compare his dialog delivery with his usual way of speaking during interviews, where some of his words can be muffled or not articulated enough. He's such a hardworking guy, I feel like in some strange way he's carried a huge part of the burden of this show on his very able and strong shoulders. I feel very proud of his work in this show. He's a very grounded person and you can see how much he's improved even during this show. It's only been a few months but already you can see how convincingly he portrays over time an insecure Alexander, unsure of his future as heir to the throne, and his journey to becoming a world conquerer, confident and very clear about his goals. His body language, dialogue delivery, etc. all perfection.


Edited by sashashyam - 5 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 5 years ago
#8
That, Sweety, is one of the advantages of being 70. One has seen lots of men, and being well past the drooling stage at which you kids are, one can judge them dispassionately and accurately.😉

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: Vicariously

Aunty I still remember how you made that apt comparison of Rohit's close ups in yesterday's episode resembling a Caesar's coin. With the stubble up blond chevelure that looks more like a lion's mane these days, he does look royal at it's finest.

inlieu thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago
#9
Yes, that was a fabulous scene. Without saying anything, he gets Roxanne to do far more than she would normally accept. Even she can't deny his awesomeness as a military commander. 😆

Contrast this to their first full conversation in Bactria, when he was gentle with her and telling her about his experiences in war. He has figured out how to deal with her, finally. I won't be surprised if Olympias was privy to it, though I can't say for sure. Even the slant of his face when he asks for her affirmation that Barsine would make the pearls look even more beautiful. They were so much in sync!

Also the way he looks down his nose at Roxanne grabbing his arm. We don't see his eyes completely, because they are slanted again, but you can immediately sense his moment of triumph there. 

Agree, it really is a pleasure to see him do this work. Shame this caliber is unrecognized by most viewers. I can totally see him succeed in theater or in Hollywood too if given the chance.

Edit: Nothing he does is accidental. In that scene with the necklace, I saw his lips twitching a couple of times as he looked at Roxanne - once when he looks at her as he holds up the necklace to Barsine, the other when he teases her about not liking his gift. First time I've seen that on Sony Alexander's face. Rohit was just marvellous!

In that private scene with Roxanne, I also especially loved his posture as he drank out of the cup at the end and you could just imagine the wheels in his brain turning at turbo speed. Wow wow wow!

Originally posted by: sashashyam

Absolutely. The boy has a micrometer inside  his head.

There was one point I forgot to include in my latest cockfight post. This was when he is getting Roxanne to drink to his "victory" over Porus and she is jibbing as usual.

When he asks her the first time, his chin goes  up slightly to reinforce the request, for that is what it is at  that stage. 

A little later, when he has finished telling  her Mera tajurba hai, Roxanne,   ki jo pehla morcha jeet ta hai, fateh usi ki hoti hai, his eyelids and eyebrows go up peremptorily to reinforce a slight shake of the head. It is now a command, and Roxanne recognises it as such and accepts the goblet.

I simply loved it. It is such a pleasure to see a fine actor at work. But I don't  expect that even 1% of the viewers noted and appreciated it.

And look at the way he walks away to the table in his latest scene with Roxanne. The back is ramrod straight, but  still the gait, the way he walks, is not stiff, but graceful and smooth like that of  a trained athlete. I liked that too.

Finally, if he quotes Marlon Brando,  he also has intellectual heft as an actor. Brando went to seed too soon, but in his early films,  like The Wi ld Ones,  A streetcar named desire, he was unbelievably good, an actor's actor. 

 Rohit should just take this role as training  for far better things.  He should try hard to move on to films soon.  Fingers and toes crossed. He is too good for this present medium.

Shyamala 


Edited by inlieu - 5 years ago
inlieu thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago
#10

Originally posted by: sashashyam

That, Sweety, is one of the advantages of being 70. One has seen lots of men, and being well past the drooling stage at which you kids are, one can judge them dispassionately and accurately.😉

Shyamala Aunty


@bold 🤣

Aunty, even if you did drool over Rohit, we would totally understand. 😆