india vs not-india - Page 4

Posted: 18 years ago

Oh, that's so touching discussion...πŸ€—u all...

Dear Rumi πŸ‘ πŸ‘πŸ‘it takes so much courage & spirit to say all that.

I too share your emotions & crazy love for India,  I refuse marriage proposals from abroad with plain NO only 'coz I would never want to leave India, call me conservative or outdated,  yes, I want to see the world before I die, but never would want to settle abroad, I live in Mumbai & I love it with all its odds & adversities, with its slums ,pollution, riots, overcrowded trains & streets , with its crimes & risks beating in every moment of earning our living here...I love its soul as simple as that.

But I do understand  & can feel what BgDesai , Puja & Minnie have said.

my grandparents moved to Mumbai after three consequent years of famine in our native place,I'm sure in that era Mumbai must have been living abroad for them but they had to do it,it doesn't mean they didn't miss their root anytime or never did anything for their native place,my grandfather even tried his best to convince me to serve in my native place ,he said 'I'll pay you more than what you get here;you serve there'  but I never listened to him 😈  'coz was too scared of adversities, lack of resources & could never get over temptations of living here.  But at least he succeeded in planting a  desire within me to spend a few years of my life there, once I'm 'self sufficient'    Even my Dad enjoys there more than here physically & mentally 'coz of low pollution & healthy life style but still he can't think of leaving mumbai only 'coz of bread & butter.

I think similar logic can be applied here,I too fight a lot with my bro. when he says he wants to move abroad after doing  MBA than facing frustrations here, but I think instead of grumbling here & trying to copy blindly the western lifestyle ,it's better to let him  give an opportunity & let him  realise  the truth by himself.

Morals,values,culture  all  this  makes part of you then itself, when you are brought up so the 'place' where you live hardly can modify them once you are sure of yourself. I  can feel how deeply you all are rooted here inspite of living there which has cleared my fallacies of life style there,which sounds better than metros here trying to copy western culture blindly....

If we compare lifestyles I'm sure it isn't easy there too, if they offer you good job they make sure they extract you fully,  here if I 've a sick family member & ask for a leave my boss says 'I understand'  without deducting my salary... but it is not so there...but I also admit that this'chalta hai'  attitude has given birth to lazy workers in govt offices.

Independent lifestyle gives freedom to do what we want,but at the same time slowly makes way for loneliness ,depressions & secondary diseases  like Diabetes & CHD which are called diseases of affluent society  &  are/have been  travelling India now.Interfering neighbours can also be of immense help in emergency...

The greatest advantage of living here is our cultural & spiritual inheritance which is complete in itself if 'Interpreted Correctly',but not to forget disadvantage the society has taken with superstitions & own beliefs. India's spirituality has gifted world with Yoga & Ayurveda;immense strenghth in itself to fight against odds of life which unfortunately is valued more abroad than here.....

Everyone has right to prove  their potentials & grab the opportunity to do so,Kalpna Chawla has made all of us proud of her , it's nice that globe is acknowledging India's Brain power,& now ppl sitting in Benglore are modifying world's economy at their fingertips,world is being considered flat 'coz of growing technology & any bright mind has equal opportunity to flourish from any corner of the world ! so I do wish at least we realise our worth instead of getting frustrated & being impatient; work for economic independence in India instead of falling pray to market strategies.yes this is being smothered by selfish leaders living here & not  ppl migrating abroad.

so all my friends living there I wish the Best for you allπŸ‘πŸΌ  &  πŸ€—but pls do come back whenever you can....meanwhile Rumi, I 'll surely help you in your work...😊

Edited by RUPALV22 - 18 years ago

Rupal .

you are always welcome buddy!!!!πŸ€—!

don't know about the life outside india
Great great discussion , one discussion me and my friends often have here in the U.S !!

Originally posted by bgdesai

Yes, Rumi, you never said that "your" or "our" country provides you with everything you need. But you did say that, "I hate the mentalities of the people who want to go abroad only to have some luxuries in life and forget their own country and forget that this county has spent crores of rupees to educate them and make them qualified for those foreign jobs. I hate those people who get education from this country and then dump this country and go to abroad for earning more and more money." I was just trying to say that not all people are out there for social service and not all are Shahrukh from Swadesh. As I said before I really admire your way of thinking and its really bold thinking. Not everyone is able to think and act the way you think or act. I am not that bold to think and act like you. Probably I am too selfish, for me and my family. Rather than considering whole India as my family like you do I am thinking about my neuclear family. However, I just wanted to bring the point that what is education? You get education so that you can have financial safety in future and also for your personal development. Does government that educate me (not to mention from money of the taxes our parents pay, income tax, state tax, fees, donations) give enough opportunity to me? With education you get wings to explore your horizon.

But not offense, here I really respect your way of thinking. But I personally think there is nothing wrong with settling abroad for different reasons… exploring other culture, tradition, country and ofcourse, better opportunity. I might be probably saying this to defend myself as being one of those. But these are my personal views. πŸ˜›

bgdesai and Miniie  i am completly with you in this subject . Rumi , i respect and admire you for not desiring riches and material things for your self , and you'd like to stand by your country as a family !! But all of us aren't like that, but that doesn't make us bad😳 ( Since you used the word ...you hate people like us 😭)

I love my India , but after living 28 years over there and barely managing to save from my monthly income , .........facing problems like power cuts , water shortage , telephones going dead for days , followed by corruption when you look for repairs for your basic needs !! I was fed up .

I am not the sort of person who lives for my country . I live for my family . Don't take me wrong ......i like to be selfish and look after my hedonistic needs . In the U.S i am glad that we are able to own a home at our age than if we had waited in India , we would have needed to save for another 20 years to pay for a down payment . I love having hotshower ,round the clock , 365 days . I love not sweating it out at night without electercity and then going to work in the morning . I love it that my basic needs are met here satisfactorily . If the goverment as you say i paying for the universities , well so are we paying them through taxes . So the goverment is not doing us ANY favour what so ever .

With due respect to your views , i can't be satisfied standing in que for a DTC, or chasing and bribing the junior karamchari at MTNL to fix my telephone after its been dead for a whole month !! I find life much tougher in India , as you have to deal with these things . Where as i expect that since i am a honest tax payer , the goverment should make sure my basic needs aren't compromised . If they are , i am not obliged to stick around and make things better . I am not a social worker and don't want to be one !!😊
Also as Minnie pointed out most NRI's do their share by spending as a visitor to the country often , sending money to family or simply sponsoring a child , or buying property !! I too try and do my share of all of these by visting my India , sending money to family , investing in India and paying generous donations when ever their is a disaster( Tsunami , earthquake) , and regularly donating to a charitable organisation for animals( a cause i believe in ) Trust me , all us NRI's aren't as bad as you think they are !!😳 We too love India a lot and feel patriotic about our country , but not every one can be selfless !!😊
Edited by indygirl - 18 years ago
To each its own, like Rumi and Rupal , I love India and I will go abroad for further studies but get back.I like the good, the bad, the ugly, the dirt, the smell and everything that is India.
Yes corruption, lack of accountability and most importantly the chalta hai culture angers me but I am an optimistic person, it is   we who can make the change and it is coming. India has changed so much, for my generation there are loads of opportunities and we have to grab them. In Bangalore I see lot of foreigners coming to India, commercial prospects are brightning , retailers like WAL MART are waiting for the retail industry to open up.
But this is not to say every thing is rosy in India not really, the gap is widening between have and have nots. IF we do not do something about unemployment among educated youth we will be in trouble. Here it is our mindset, as young people we should not be afraid to venture out sarkari naukri is thing of the past, focus on enrepreneurship that can solve some of our problems.
YEs I also react with anger when NRIS say we do not want to come back to India because of corrution, how about tackling it sir? there have been likes of DR Trehan, Narayan Murthy who came back and they have transformed India. so do can the rest.
I am also amused at the kind of image that is built about INdia in the media especially the western press, India is not about rich kings, snakes and poverty it is the never say die spirit of every Indian that has made this country a beautiful place and writing stories with a western slant does not do much for a country that has given to the world so much.
signora 2           ;           ;        
Itz the Career. Evry1 needs to start high coz dats wot determines the limits of our success.
I being a student in india wud myself like to do my bachelors frm outside-india. Moreover worldz changing, v cannot stick to 1 country, v need to be global.
I also appreciate the standards of living outside india.
You can always turn back, so y not explore the other side which is greener inspite of the thing dat it might be juz a mirage atleast v wont repent later dat v might hav missd out on smthn. Edited by single_abhay - 18 years ago
Bringing forth this topic since Riaaa wanted to continue discussion. 😊
heart girl wrote:
Nice! But i strongly oppose the idea! Not every person thinks that way.. There are so many reasons abt y people do so..

-->> the first reason is that after spending thousand of rupees on thier education; there are no jobs availaible. in order to get a gud job u have to b at least 90% and above. woah! Its not that they r not willng to take step to improve India its because they don get the chance to do so.. Whereas in the foriegn countries the rate of umemployment is much lower

-->> Also people who are well settled there want to come to west ..y?? coz they think there is no future for thier children in India coz of lot of competion which makes sense for sure

-->> If we look at the other side, the govt doesnt view it as rong because immigration brings Foreign currency to the India which is viewed as a gud thing

But the ppl hoo r setteled shldnt think tht way...if there is something wrong with our country...u shuldnt juss leave and say this is crap and it wunt get better...if its crap..find out ways to make it better...i feel tht u shuldnt critise it if u r not doing anything to help it or make it better.

i understand wat u r saying but u cant change ppl .. If we actually start comparing u l find that they r not even lying.. i understand u lov ur country and i do to.. but u we cant refuse to accept the truth.. nd abt imroving the country..a country cant improve until u give a person a chance to do something.. no jobs, no money making, no development..its simple

U noe wat i noe u must have geard sum elder ppl saying that..the fact is that thy have seen india betta than us and they noe india better.. koi bhi insaan waise hi haar nahi maantleta..they have had many experiences depending on which they base thier views.

Originally posted by heart girl

heart girl wrote:
Nice! But i strongly oppose the idea! Not every person thinks that way.. There are so many reasons abt y people do so..

-->> the first reason is that after spending thousand of rupees on thier education; there are no jobs availaible. in order to get a gud job u have to b at least 90% and above. woah! Its not that they r not willng to take step to improve India its because they don get the chance to do so.. Whereas in the foriegn countries the rate of umemployment is much lower

-->> Also people who are well settled there want to come to west ..y?? coz they think there is no future for thier children in India coz of lot of competion which makes sense for sure

-->> If we look at the other side, the govt doesnt view it as rong because immigration brings Foreign currency to the India which is viewed as a gud thing

But the ppl hoo r setteled shldnt think tht way...if there is something wrong with our country...u shuldnt juss leave and say this is crap and it wunt get better...if its crap..find out ways to make it better...i feel tht u shuldnt critise it if u r not doing anything to help it or make it better.

i understand wat u r saying but u cant change ppl .. If we actually start comparing u l find that they r not even lying.. i understand u lov ur country and i do to.. but u we cant refuse to accept the truth.. nd abt imroving the country..a country cant improve until u give a person a chance to do something.. no jobs, no money making, no development..its simple

U noe wat i noe u must have geard sum elder ppl saying that..the fact is that thy have seen india betta than us and they noe india better.. koi bhi insaan waise hi haar nahi maantleta..they have had many experiences depending on which they base thier views.
hld on...no development????????????????INDIA IS DEVELOPING FASTER THAN PROBABLY ANY COUNTRY !!!and INdia has only had 50 yrs of independence........when America had 50 yrs of independence...all there was in america was slavery and all...compared to tht INDIA is waayyyyyyyyyy better....i knoe thts kinda of topic...but i juss wanted to say tht....and when INDIA develops more than America(which will happen)

i ll c wat all those NRIs will say or do thenπŸ˜†

ya india is developinmg in many fields.. but the majority of population of India still lies in Poverty..thatz wat i meant by no development..