Posted: 5 years ago
K, I really needed to get back to writing so...😳

I'd love to see them likes, but please refrain from commenting just right now.

Thanks for listening, hun! <3
08/06/2018

1. Outside the Window: What's the weather outside your window doing right now? If that's not inspiring, what's the weather like somewhere you wish you could be?

When it Rains

It's been raining incessantly for the better part of the last hour. Now, as the force of the heavenly jets do recede, streetlights shimmer from behind the fluttering curtains of the mist. They glimmer like the pebbles under a mountain stream on a sunny day. It is almost funny, the way monsoon transports,  for a few hours, the feverishly busy streets of a metropolis into the haven of human silence.

The splashy puddles in the cracks of the road, dust mingled with them, has not made its way into the list of the beauties of the Earth. But someone who has had the rare pleasure of knowing that their school would remain shut for the day because of the rains would not begrudge a little dirt round the corner of the alley!

The clouds still remain to show off a spark or two in the corners, and an enticing petrichor seems to take over your senses. When it rains through sunset the sky from the lovely grey assumes a reddish hue unlike any other.  Even though the glow of sunset is absent, the heavens almost make up for it with the soothing, drizzling music of the raining droplets.

Then with leisure, the clouds recede making way for the depth of indigo that is, the star-studded ether. The cool breeze (a little on the wetter side) seems to bring to you quite some lost memories as you are inclined heavily towards spending a significant length of time reflecting on concepts and recollections from the past.

The stars sparkle (well, not so much these days you know, the pollution!) through (again!) a curtain of haze. They shimmer as the men beneath seem to simmer under the scorching heat that is humane. It is almost unbelievable what mankind could do to itself!

Oh, well I seem to have deviated from the topic at hand that is, rains. Well, contrary to what people might think, I'm actually allergic to the rain at most places and have to be content in watching the spectacle from beneath a dry roof (I hate it, for the records).

The best part about the rainy season has to be the fact that it comes after a long and scorching summer. And the fact, that it brings with itself an entire bunch of surprize treats (out here you never know!) sets it further apart (in a good way, of course!) from the other seasons. Also, I get to switch off the AC (strange but, yep)!
09/06/2018

2. The Unrequited love poem: How do you feel when you love someone who does not love you back?

Loving Back

Who likes to love
When they don't love back.
Gleaming memories you wove for them
You find in there a crack.

There might be a lot to say
And a lot to see on Earth.
They aren't the edges of world,
Don't let them get your mirth.

But I know how it feels,
To feel the love they lack-
Who would like to love
If they don't love back.
10/06/2018

3. The Vessel: Write about a ship or other vehicle that can take you somewhere different from where you are now.

My Journal

I'm sitting at one of the coveted windows seats on the flight to Bhubaneshwar. The runway looks exceptionally bright today. Gold and amber tinged the bright green of the well-pruned grassland on either side of our aeroplane. The surrounding seems to deceive me as the cold makes me I rub my hands and sunshine carries inside in whiffs warming the window-sill. As I look up, I see whirls of smoke theatrically swirling their way out of the luggage racks above. Mundane as they might be, they still look pretty.

Ooh they've started the plane! The green fields and shooting behind with an increasing speed. The rush always manages to thrill me no matter how many times I've get the feel it. You see, speedy though they are, bikes are just not fast enough! Slowly, the fields of the runway turn blurry as we take the turns and then with the subtlest tug at your seats, the plane takes off!

Well this is, I have to admit, the most beauteous part of a flight. As the plane soars higher and higher (though never gaining much height in one lap) you see your city curl up into teensy little scraps of geography while the greater topography fades in. Most of you must remember those classes of Geography from middle school (and high school too for the rest of you) and would probably appreciate how fascinating it is to see those pages from the book (the mapping section) come alive in front of your eyes.

As we soar highers and higher, I can see the map slowly dimming out, handing their baton of magnificence to silky white clouds. Oh, look at the sun! It's still brilliant up here! As the plane turns, I turn my attention to the food. Not really tasty, but sandwich laced with mayonnaise has always been a favourite of mine.

The rest of the journey seems delightful, with the only minor glitches being my intolerance to sound (and resultant ear plugs) and the general turbulence across the air (oh those butterflies in my tummy whenever the plane hits a pocket). The carpet of blushing clouds almost make up for it. You know these clouds always transport me to a world of fantasy and in spite of being a science student I can't help wishing sometimes if I could, maybe, walk on those bits of fluff sometimes (ah, guilty me!).

Okay, now the plane it starting descent. Woah, welcome back, butterflies! Wow, look! Those points are getting bigger. And there you go, the city lights are here too! It's not as large as our Kolkata, but it sure looks amazing! The lights always have a magical effect on all fliers. After all it's not everyday that you get to feast your eyes upon the fabulous display of lights right up from the sky.

Isn't it wonderful how things so small as lighting up a single house contributes to a spectacular exhibit such as!
11/06/2018

4. Dancing: Who's dancing and why are they tapping those toes?

She just couldn't stop dancing! Finally, it was hers. After years and years of toiling and plotting and mapping, this was finally hers. All the sleepless nights and the anxious days of worry had finally come to an end. One night she could sleep in peace knowing all was in order. She felt as though the world was hers!
Today, she owned the degree of graduation.
12/06/2018

5. Food: What's for breakfast? Dinner? Lunch? Or maybe you could write a poem about that time you met a friend at a cafe.

Toast and butter
Milk and Cake,
Warm and crunchy
Do they make.
Spoons of sugar
Raining, splashing-
On the milk and
The butter slashing.
13/06/2018

6. Eye Contact: Write about two people seeing each other for the first time.

He caught my attention the moment he boarded the bus. Bedraggled, bespectacled and a ragged look about him and a moderately vast collection of sweets hung from the iron ring slung over his shoulder that caused him to droop further. He sang a song as he walked up the passage. There was a hint of monotony in his words. But why? His job must be fairly interesting. To see new people each day, to read emotions on the move. Indeed, it sounded very exciting. He stopped by me. Embarrassed, I looked the other way as soon as our eyes met. Not having sold a toffee the man got down at the next stop and disappeared into one of the darker alleys. I never saw him again. Sometimes I see vendors such as him on the pavement and wonder where he went. To his home? To loved ones and happy hearts? Or did he return to filthy rooms that did not see cleaning in years. May be he rerun the same actions each day that infused hard monotony into his job. Was he so desperate for money? Did he not marry? Did he not have family to care for him? Or did he actually enjoy the job? Either way I am truly amazed at his dedication. He is so old after all.

15/06/2018

7. The Rocket-ship: Write about a rocket-ship on it's way to the moon or a distant galaxy far, far, away.

It was the tenth day of the fourth month. It was also the fifth day of Karl's, on board. He had been sent up to the government's latest expedition to the lunar plane. As he looked out he found himself staring at the most astonishing sight- the vast stretch of nothingness, the bursts of colours which were the various stars and galaxies...the universe at its best glory!

It was a little funny how he ended up here. A veteran by profession, he had quit a few years ago over a dispute with his advisor in the trade. Ironic how he ended up in the space at the behest of the same man at his deathbed.

His advisor, Dr. Carllock was a keen scientist and had perfected Karl after many a trying situations, and was probably proud to see his beloved spaceship do the rounds of the planet! Karl let out a silent whisper of a prayer, wishing with all his will to be able to achieve what his creator has planned for him.
16/06/2018

8. Dream-catcher: Write something inspired by a recent dream you had.

The scene before me- the empty street with all the cabs parked along the sides, the lone lamp-post and smoke from the chai stall- it all shook a little. I could see the tyre kept beside the taxi tremble a little. However I ignored it and sat down on the chair close to the wall and looked on as the smoke merged into the chilly fog.

The pungent smell of the smoke almost made me cough when I realized this was closer than I thought. On second consideration, the smoke was inside the house! As I ran inside I found myself unable to go further into the bedroom, and the flames lashed and danced. I wasn't really sure where my parents were though I thought I heard Ma's voice from somewhere inside.

In spite of this horrifying sight I was oddly disconnected. As though it did not really affect me. The room was hot, but smoke didn't choke me. The floor beneath cracked open, a barrier of fire above it. All my toys were burning, the locker with my Krishna idols seemed so far off, unreachable.

I felt water trickling down my back and chill creeping up but as I turned back there was no one, the room continued to shake, the pungent odour catching on, so annoyingly appealing, appalling really.

As the flames rose to the height of the rooms, all world devoured, but the square I stood upon, the door melted open, but I got no inclination to leave. The heat was kinda comforting, but who could be safe if the heavens decided to rain upon them! The floor beneath thawed away, leaving me to drop through the sleep. With a jerk I realized I'd dozed off on the chair closer to the wall out in the verandah, the abandoned tyre beside the cab trembling slightly. It was the 25th of April, 2015.
17/06/2018

9. Animals: Choose an animal. Write about it!

Wombats- our furry, squishy friends that are native to south-eastern Australia. Science has put these creature under the family of Vombatiformes. They are generally extremely adaptable and are found in regions much diverse- from jungles to heathlands! The name of these little guys originated from the 1798 records of John Price and James Wilson who recorded having seen a "Whom-Batt" and to quote them, it "was an animal about 20 inches high, with short legs and a thick body with a large head, round ears, and very small eyes; very fat, and having much the appearance of a badger." The word Whom-Batt was derived from a native (now extinct) language- Darug.

Wombats usually live up to fifteen to twenty days under normal circumstances in a jungle. The longest living wombat till date lived to celebrate his thirty-fifth birthday! These cuties have a habit (common to most of their likenesses) of digging burrows with their rodent-like teeth. Additionally their pouches have the interesting characteristics of of being folded backwards. This feature is a natural protection for their joey against the spraying of dirt while they dig. The wombats are also known to be nocturnal animals, even though they might sometimes venture out on cool or cloudy days to feed. The colour of their fur can vary from the a light brown to dark grey and black.

Although these marsupials are herbivorous, they have quite some history of violence against humans. Generally they mind their own business, but if frightened they have the capability to bowl over adult humans; they bear the chance of breaking their limbs as well! To quote a recent mishap- a naturalist, Harry Frauca, received a bite 2 cm (0.8 in) deep into the flesh of his legthrough a rubber boot, trousers and thick woolen socks. Well, they sure can take care of themselves when in need!

However, these cute animals have sure made their place forever in the Australian culture. An entire day (22nd of October) has been dedicated to them! Also, Fatso the Fat-Arsed Wombat was an unofficial  mascot of the Sydney Olympics of 2000. Also, a number of places in Australia including the Wombat State Forest and Wombat Hill in Daylesford have been names after these animals. They are also common visitors in the Australian literature.

Wombats are classified as 'protected animals' everywhere across Australia except for the state of Victoria. In this state rather they're quite a bother, messing up farmers' field with their burrow-digging.

All in all, a wisdom of wombats is as cute as you'd want them to be but at the same time you'll probably want to keep a distance from them, and their cute, angry little snouts!