Sridevi was like a bird in a cage, says filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma - Page 2

Posted: 6 years ago
People seem to have some fetish with tragedy. 
No one wants an ordinary story that ends with an accident. There has to be more. Angst, addiction, depression - a much greater tragedy. 
Originally posted by flipfl0p

One common thing shared by all her costars (from Kamal Hassan to the French guy in English Vinglish) was her aloofness (or shyness) off the camera but totally transforming into a different individual, when camera is on. 
Her aloofness could be due to her own insecurities (she hardly gave interviews). She could not speak confidently on her own (like Madhuri). 
But her reserved nature coupled with her superstardom made many people to assume she is snobbish. She did not bother to set her image straight either. Nobody could see a real Sridevi (may be, only her immediate family). All we have is her work. 

She was accused of being a husband snatcher. Boney was not any great catch for a superstar like her. She probably fell in love with him during her troubled time. 80s and earlier must have been a hard time for successful actresses. They have to remain unmarried to be at the top. Once their career is over, most eligible men would have got married. Those days men might be having affairs, might cheat, but they would not leave their wife (society pressure). Choices for these actresses were, settle for a man who is far less successful than you and live a life away from your stardom (Vaijayanti Mala, Waheeda Rehman, Madhuri Dixit),  marry a man who can sustain your stardom, but compromise on being his only wife (Hema Malini) or remain single (Asha Parekh, Nanda). Sridevi desired to have both (being the only wife of a successful man, who can manage her stardom). Nothing wrong. But her era was wrong. That period expected a man to never leave his wife. Treated the other woman harshly than a man. 

Nobody thought about the plight of Sridevi who was pregnant when she was attacked (despite being a superstar). Everyone felt (still feel), she deserved it. She never bothered to share her feelings either. 
To everyone, she will remain as a superstar who had everything. Whether she was or not, nobody would know.
Even in today's era, no one will like a woman who breaks someone's marriage to fulfill her own desires of living a happy and luxurious life.

It's strange that u r actually justifying Sridevi breaking her good friend's marriage. 

Mourning her death is one thing and justifying her mistakes is another thing.

That woman who attacked her was her ex good friend's mother. Her anger was justified but not her action. She was wrong in trying to hit her stomach even though she was not wrong by shouting and insulting Sridevi. I wish she had given a piece of her mind to Boney too who deserved it more than Sridevi. I wish she had hit Boney's stomach instead of Sridevi's. 
Edited by Shanak_Fan - 6 years ago
I don't know about others but I agree with Ramu he has been a jerk but a great admirer of Sridevi.
Urmila's role in Mast (mallika) was inspired by Sridevi. Urmila also played the simialr type of role who's caged and wants to be set free..

I agree with him...poor Sri..atleast now she is in a much better place.
Lol...Varma is the worst friend of sri, bringing all this out now..anyzway, since he did ...so no harm to carry on...
i hope boneys mom gave few punches to him instead. the way he went on and on about how he fell in love with sridevi, and he was saying all while married to mona

it seems more like he took advantage of someone who is in desperate need.
anyways.. I say the minute you feel that your marriage is over, you have feelings for someone else, you should end the marriage. its ok, it happens. its healthy to get out of a bad marriage rather than suffocating. Some ppl say stay for sake of kids,I say no, leave. Its good for kids. They don't to see ugly
but this behind the back , cheating stuff I don't like.
I heard sri was friend of Mona, calling boney a brother...and then getting pregs with the bhai.
awful...what low self-esteem. stabbing from behind...ouchhh
was this love between them or compromise, but maybe from boney it was lust.
But those actors rekha, sri, hema...and many why they were snatching someone else hubbys?
Anyways.. I hope the ppl don't say tomorrow, oh let's all cry for boney kapoor, he is all so alone. Excuse me? Jissko rona dhona hai, do it pls. my aansoon is very expensive
Edited by briahna - 6 years ago
This guy calls himself her fan but all he has written is depressing especially the Esha Deol bit. Even Sonam had a bad start but it was not  the end! If she or Boney had financial problems, she would have continued working. She has been selective when it comes to movies after marriage and kids.Accepted that all that we see on-screen can be the rosy picture and glamorized version but what he has written sounds like she lived a tragic life. 
Mona Kapoor must have been an amazing woman if she brought up her children without any bitterness towards Boney and Sridevi. After what happened Arjun was there with Boney today. You hear of so many bitter divorces and kids turned against a father especially. Boney does not sound like he was much of a presence in their life, but Arjun was a good son today and I think it is very much because of the way his mother Mona raised him. Anshula too seems like a really, nice sensible girl. Hope Jhanvi and Khushi too turn out to be good human beings like their step siblings. 
It is so strange what unites them after sharing the same father is the loss of a mother at a young age, especially Arjun and Jhanvi so close to debut for each. 
I like RGVs analysis. He is on the money here. Sridevi's life is one big sad story despite her tremendous professional success. Even if her death was just an accident, we should know accidents like these happen more often when you are reckless...and you are reckless for a reason.
I felt No one knew her personally coz she kept it private and never spoke about it.
From what I know, her mom was overprotective and used her as a golden goose which she denied and her sister looted her money by staking a claim on her mom's properties and money which was bought from Sridevi's money. 

Her interview with Vir singhvi in 2017, she said she never went shopping as her mom did it for her, her full day was spent on the sets.

Anyway, Boney and Sridevi were in love and people usually are quick to blame the lady, the onus falls on the guy, he is the one married and has a responsibility towards his family.

anyway what happened , happened and it was sad for mona and her kids but all those who said Madhuri was spotless...I disagree

Madhuri too was in a full feldged affair with a much married sanjay dutt and in fact, his then wife richa was sichk and dying. i remember her daughters open letter to Madhuri requesting her to leave her dad ...

Richa passed away

But then the Sanjay Dutt was arrested and Madhuri broke off with him ..

so there's a dark shade in every hero and heroine's life. No one in the industry is spotless
I don't understand this guy. If he liked and cared for Sridevi that much, why spread stories about her unhappiness before her body is even laid to rest? Would her children want to hear that their mom was secretly suffering and sad and spend her life in misery? Have some compassion for those that are truly affected by this.

Anyway, nobody knows anyone that well and that is even more true with celebrities. We all form our own narratives based on snippets of information or interviews and it has much more to do with our own feelings and life experiences than it does with them. Every celebrity becomes a different persona for different fans. At that point, you only really love the vision you have of them, not the actual person because you do not know the actual person. 

The same is true even for Ramu. He knew of only what he saw on his set and he created her own mystique in his head about who she is and what her motivations are. At the end of the day, sometimes even family members do not truly know what is happening inside someone's brain and heart so to think some outsider would know is far fetched. 
Edited by anonymous39 - 6 years ago
^Yes we will never really know. Sometimes we ourselves do not know exactly why we do what we do. I hope her children are not on the internet at all and not watching TV. They need to grieve.

Then one day when they are ready they can learn about their mother through the eyes of those who knew her, the person, who was not their mom.