Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

ValentinesDay | The Nargis and Sunil Dutt romance: A love story fit..

ZestyZeniaZetas thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago

The Nargis and Sunil Dutt romance: A love story fit for the big screen

VALENTINE'S DAY SPECIAL: Bollywood couple Nargis and Sunil Dutt's love story is as filmy as it gets. The two met on the sets of Do Bigha Zamin, and the rest, as they say, is history. By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: February 14, 2018 7:51 am

Nargis and Sunil Dutt
Nargis and Sunil Dutt's love story is emotional and beautiful.

The Nargis Dutt and Sunil Dutt love story is a tale that has been recounted in several public outlets, but people never seem to grow tired of it. Maybe because it is just that haunting and relatable.

It has been reported that Sunil Dutt had a big thing for Nargis, and the two first met on the sets of Do Bigha Zamin in the mid-1950s. He was still struggling, and she was not, and so it is said that the actor could not muster the courage to be honest about his feelings towards Nargis.

Nargis was apparently in love with Raj Kapoor during the time, despite him being married to Krishna Kapoor. Their relationship couldn't stand the test of time, and by the late 1950s, the two had gone their separate ways. Nargis was reportedly so devastated over the whole affair that she even considered taking her own life.

nargis and sunil dutt

And this was going on when Nargis had just started filming Mother India. During the shooting of a scene, things went haywire, and Nargis was trapped in a ring of fire; Sunil Dutt allegedly jumped into the ring like a Hindi film hero to save Nargis, suffering burns on his face and chest as a result.

Nargis then tended to Sunil for two weeks, looking after his every need. The two grew close to each other during the time. So much so that she ended opening up about her past with him.

Sunil, who was once asked about Nargis' relationship with Raj Kapoor, had said, "I never knew there was a romance. The only thing I knew was that she came into my life. I was not concerned about her past. I know these questions arise. But I am concerned about the person who comes in my life; what matters from that day on is how true the person is to me. The past is nothing to me.

valentines day, nargis and sunil duttVALENTINE'S DAY SPECIAL: Nargis and Sunil Dutt met on the sets of Do Bigha Zamin, and the rest, as they say, is history.

The two eventually fell for each other and wanted to make things official, but after the duo had played mother-son in Mother India, tying the knot immediately was not an option. And then, there was also the religion factor. However, in 1958, the two tied the knot in secret and finally made things official in 1959.

Over a decade later, it was reported that Nargis had pancreatic cancer. The actor was rushed to New York, and finally came around in 1981. During the same time, the couple's son, Sanjay Dutt, was to make his foray into Bollywood with Rocky. Nargis desperately wanted to attend the premiere of her son's movie, but due to her failing health condition, she couldn't. The actor breathed her last on May 3, 1981. But the tale of their love lives on in the hearts and minds of many.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Zeal17 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Actual Dutt movie I would love to see on big screen...
Dumb Bollywood.Edited by Zeal17 - 6 years ago
ZestyZeniaZetas thumbnail

Dharmendra and Hema Malini: The stormy romance that shook the industry

VALENTINE'S DAY SPECIAL: Dharmendra and Hema Malini's romance is all about that Bollywood drama that everyone loves. He was the He-Man, and she was his Dream Girl, and together they created history. 

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: February 14, 2018 9:16 am
    Dharmendra and Hema MaliniDharmendra was already a married man when he fell for Hema Malini.

Hema Malini and Dharmendra's love story has been debated, discussed and dissected by everyone over the years. Theirs was not the perfect romance, but if truth be told, which love story doesn't have its share of imperfections?

For those who don't know, Dharmendra was already a married man when he fell for Hindi Cinema's Dream Girl. And she fell for him. Not to say that everything was superficial between them, but what do you expect when you cast two attractive and popular personalities together? It doesn't happen to everyone, but it did to them.

Their respective families weren't exactly happy about their courtship. But, as they say, love is blind. The stars kept meeting despite considerable opposition from their loved ones. Until one day, Hema's mother decided to intervene and take charge of the situation. She decided that Jeetendra was the one for her daughter. Both Hema and Jeetendra got along quite well. The idea that Hema and Jeetendra could be an item was drilled into the former's head, until one day she finally relented to her mother's request and met Jeetendra's parents.

dharmendra and hema malini

In her biography, Beyond the Dream Girl (authored by Ram Kamal Mukherjee), there's an incident where Jeetendra is quoted as saying to one of his close friends, "I don't want to marry Hema. I am not in love with her. She is not in love with me. But my family wants it, so I might as well. And she is such a good girl.

Jeetendra and Hema almost got married, but when a drunk Dharmendra came to know about the wedding, he stormed into Hema's place. And what followed was as Bollywood as you can get. Livid parents, angry about-to-be-groom, a shaken Hema and an extremely upset and emotional Dharmendra.

dharmendra and hema malini

One of the primary reasons why Hema's parents were not giddy about her relationship with Dharmendra was the fact that he was married to Prakash. Prakash reportedly didn't want to give a divorce to the actor, and so Dharmendra allegedly converted to Islam in order to give his marriage to Hema a legal status.

"Today we can laugh over it, but at that time it wasn't funny. Strangely, my father had no problems with Dharam Ji other than the one related to me. In fact, they got along so well whenever I wasn't around. They would always be laughing and I would want to freeze the moment. If only they could be like that forever. Everyone in my family adored him ... just not as a prospective son-in-law, Hema had said in her biography. Well, as they say, all's well that ends well. The two still support and respect each other, and that's what matters the most.