Hollywood Movies & Stars

Prince Harry to marry Meghan Markle; wedding in spring 2018!

clarity thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 6 years ago
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry: A royal shake-up
By Daniela Relph
Royal correspondent
27 November 2017 UK
Share this with Email Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Whatsapp
Image copyrightREUTERS
This is no ordinary royal engagement.

Meghan Markle brings something different to the British Royal Family.

She is American, divorced, an actress and mixed race.

She is also a campaigner with a variety of humanitarian interests and won't want her marriage to limit her ability to speak out and support various causes - particularly those of gender equality.

As an advocate for UN Women, Ms Markle has worked on helping young girls reach their leadership potential. When she was first approached about working with the United Nations the Suits star insisted on undertaking a period of "work experience" first.

Couple to marry next spring
The prince and the actress
Who is Meghan Markle?
Prince Harry profile
In her own time she shadowed Elizabeth Nyamayaro, a senior advisor at UN Women. Elizabeth was impressed by the intelligence, commitment and curiosity of the actress.

The pair have since worked together closely on a number of UN missions and Elizabeth has no doubt that her friend and colleague will thrive in her new royal role.

"Her ability to listen, her passion for other people, wanting to create social change with that level of platform can only be a positive thing. She'll be fine, she'll be great in fact."

Image copyright REUTERS
Image caption Ms Markle addressed gender issues at the One Young World forum in Canada
But the media coverage of the relationship in its early days unsettled sections of the British press and its readers.

Prince Harry even took the unprecedented step of issuing a public statement asking for privacy and describing some of the coverage as having "racial undertones".

Much was made of his fiance's upbringing in Los Angeles, with the area described as gang-infested and a place riddled with racial tension.

However, Ms Markle actually grew up in a very middle class neighbourhood of Los Angeles and attended a private Catholic school.

But in many ways she is an outsider.

Prince Harry isn't following a traditional path - he's not marrying the daughter of a grand aristocratic family.

His wife-to-be now has to negotiate her way through the British aristocracy, in a similar vein to her future sister-in-law, the Duchess of Cambridge.

It is an experience American nutritionist and author Julie Montagu knows well, as the future Countess of Sandwich.

Born and brought up in Illinois, she married the son of the Earl of Sandwich and is now Viscountess Hinchingbrooke.

She splits her time between London and the family estate, Mapperton, in Dorset.

"Even now I still get things wrong," she told me. "The British upper classes have their own way of doing things. But as an American I bring my optimism, positivity and work ethic into the mix which I believe is hugely important."

Ms Markle is joining a family and entering a world unlike anything she has previously experienced. Yes it brings with it great privilege. But it also means a lack of privacy and the acceptance of a public life. As an actress she may find herself well equipped to deal with the scrutiny ahead.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

UglyDuckling. thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Congratulations to the happy couple!!!
wadi wadi baatein of gender equality...didn't she quit acting to get married to the prince?
bips thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
Congratulations to the couple... 

... But the talk of aristocracy though... It makes me wonder if we are back in regency England... Such a weird notion to hang onto in 2017
Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
^^All Royal/aristrocratic families are like that. It's not weird at all to them, just to us. And him marrying her is the biggest sign of it being a modern "Royal" marriage. She is a biracial, non-titled, "commoner" divorcee who is 36. That's enough to tell you how completely different it is going to be now onwards.

OT: IDGAF about the BRF but this relationship is pretty fascinating. Pretty fairytale-like, lol. I quite like her from the few IVs I've seen of her- She's got a pretty captivating personality. I can see what people mean when they call her "charismatic, very nice" etc. She seems her own person.

JJR: Lmaaaooo even I thought that! Such things disappear when the worlds most eligible Royal bachelor falls in love with you, and you with him. ๐Ÿ˜† TBF, she can't possibly act now, it's out of the question & it's not like she was some big film actress ๐Ÿ˜†
DarkUnicorn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
Ohhh... so happy to hear this news!!! Harry and Meghan are so cute together!!!

But kinda sad won't see her on Suits!!!! She was the only reason I could tolerate Mike these few seasons!!! It'll be weird watching it without her now!!!
goatian thumbnail
Originally posted by: -MrsJonSnow-

Ohhh... so happy to hear this news!!! Harry and Meghan are so cute together!!!

But kinda sad won't see her on Suits!!!! She was the only reason I could tolerate Mike these few seasons!!! It'll be weird watching it without her now!!!

I have seen reports stating Patrick J. Adams (mike) will also be leaving after season 7. He is interested in films now; making one with his wife. It will be really weird as the whole story revolved around mike up to season 6. As mike's life is normal now, I think they are going to focus on Harvey and Donna.
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Shaitan-Haiwan

Is this Bollywood news ?

This will keep PC in circulation till their second baby.
Krantikari thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
My fav royal apart from his mother Princess Diana. I'm very happy for the couple. :)
goatian thumbnail
Originally posted by: Mallika-E-Bhais

^^All Royal/aristrocratic families are like that. It's not weird at all to them, just to us. And him marrying her is the biggest sign of it being a modern "Royal" marriage. She is a biracial, non-titled, "commoner" divorcee who is 36. That's enough to tell you how completely different it is going to be now onwards.

In "The Crown" Queen Elizabeth didn't allow her sister to marry a divorcee. I don't know much about British Royals but I think what was shown in the show is historically true. Have they changed the law? In few days, a divorcee is going to be the Queen of England๐Ÿ˜†