Pehredaar Piya Ki

TOI:Exclusive: My new show with same star cast to have a better story

Sutapasima thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago

Exclusive: My new show with same star cast will have a better story, says Pehredaar Piya Ki producer

TNN | Updated: Aug 29, 2017, 17:26 IST
After facing a lot of backlash for Pehredaar Piya Ki, the channel and producer, Shashi- Sumeet Mittal, have mutually decided to end the show, midway.

In an exclusive interview to the TimesOfIndia.com, producer Sumeet Mittal of Pehredaar Piya Ki said taking a show off air midway is like suffering a miscarriage.

"It's a very painful process to end the show abruptly. It surely feels bad. Taking a show off air is like suffering a miscarriage. We work hard for each of our creation, without thinking about the outcome. Whether the show works or not, we put in the same amount of hard work and passion. We didn't want to wait for the audience to reject our show," said Sumeet.

When asked about the reason behind this sudden decision, he said, "It's not sudden. We have been discussing it internally with the channel ever since the change in time slot was decided. We were skeptical about it and not convinced. We wrote the story keeping the prime time audience in mind and change in the slot would have given us no output. Hence, we decided to end the show mutually. It was a difficult call, but we had to do it."

Sumeet Mittal denies the reports that the decision was taken because of a notice by the I & B Ministry. "No. They had asked us to shift the time slot and add a scroll. That's it. After watching the show, the ministry was sure that there was nothing wrong or objectionable about the story. To pull the plug on the show was our decision. We didn't want to do something just for the heck of doing it. We believe in enjoying the process of making a show," explained Sumeet of Pehredaar Piya Ki.

Sumeet, who has produced Diya Aur Baati Hum, is now planning to comeback with a new show, and the same cast and crew.

"We treat audience as an asset so we don't want to lose them. We will return with a new show and the same team very soon. In fact, we have started working on the same. The next show will have a better story. The actors will be with us till then," said Sumeet Mittal.

The producer says that those associated with the show have taken the decision in the right spirit.

"The best part after we took this decision has been my team's reaction. They all have taken the decision in the right spirit and now we are working towards coming up with a new show. This is what I have earned in a short span of time. I have lost money, but I have got a fabulous team who are supporting our decision," concluded Sumeet.

Pehredaar Piya Ki has been mired in controversy from day one due to its bizarre plot. It centers around the love story and subsequent marriage of a 9-year-old young boy with an 18-year-old girl. The show was slammed for being "regressive", with many viewers accusing it for "promoting child marriage."

The show has now been pulled off by the channel after Broadcasting Content Complaints Council (BCCC) directed it to shift the show in late night slot from prime time.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ErisedWitch45 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Good he understood that this story was not suitable for viewers and he is working on a better story. Sounds kind of fun - same cast, diff and better story -  like a reboot.
surabhi01 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7
good to know that even ministry did not find any objectionable in pehradaar ppk . glad to know that ministry did not make any blind judgement
surabhi01 thumbnail
I feel Shashi and sumeet are coming up with new show in which they r going to show leap of ppk

and it will come after kbc go off air
ck1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
problem was never with star cast... They were all awsome... Problem ws neither with story... They cld have told same story in other way... I will again say they shld have shown grown up ratan from starting... & all these marriage thing shld have been in flashback...
Anyways excited to see Teju back in next show...
Siya2202 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Good to see that the makers are so positive even after so much controversy. Hope for a better future for the cast and the crew.
surabhi01 thumbnail
I feel due to wrong opening of show ppk misunderstood about show .if in opening week if cvs would have show ratan father finding   who want to kill ratan instead of showing Ra tan complimenting diya then story would never misunderstood

even the way meeting of ratan and diya went wrong
Vishnu21 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: surabhi01

I feel due to wrong opening of show ppk misunderstood about show .if in opening week if cvs would have show ratan father finding   who want to kill ratan instead of showing Ra tan complimenting diya then story would never misunderstood

even the way meeting of ratan and diya went wrong

It seems the producers fished out strategic scenes - boy putting sindoor, and girl falling on the boy - I mean out of all scenes why were these chosen specifically for promoting the serial ? I didn't give much thought to it earlier, but in retrospect I wonder why? To attract attention may be. It backfired. Ya of course, the backlash was nothing short of madness.

But then again, I think it was all about money for the channel and producers. The late night slots do not garner enough advertisement revenue, and they had created the show for prime time meaning pouring in huge investment - it did not make business sense to air it at 10 pm + time slots.

It is not a very happy situation for the leading lady, I can understand. You have to live with the "controversy" tag. I mean what was the hurry, BCCC was okay and they could take a leap and bring it back to prime time  - is it necessary to be so money minded that you have to negatively affect the lives of so many people - I guess many would have lost work. I don't give a damn what press releases they give. Reality is always a couple of shades darker.
surabhi01 thumbnail
even v viewers has not problem seeing show at 1030 pm so why to pull off air .so sad story was becoming interesting and it was pull off .I was waiting who was real murderer but disappointed with decision of channel and sumeet
Vishnu21 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: surabhi01

even v viewers has not problem seeing show at 1030 pm so why to pull off air .so sad story was becoming interesting and it was pull off .I was waiting who was real murderer but disappointed with decision of channel and sumeet

As I said it was pulled off air because you don't get enough money at 10:30 pm. Each time slot has it's own ad rate. I presume at 10.30 the ad revenue would not work out and then there is this controversy to deal with - may be finally they thought it was not worth the effort and pain.

Still I think given BCCC permission, they could have carried it through till October 7th since that's what the rumor was about when the leap will take place. I think it was a very tasteless execution, not even a proper ending, but what could they have given anyway - the story was right in the middle of prime action - can't patch up an ending all of a sudden. So I presume they thought it was best to cut the cord swiftly when the decision was taken. PPK audience did not like the way it was suddenly pulled off, certainly brand Sumeet Mittal has taken a hit among his supporters. You can't keep pulling off shows everytime you run into rough weather. I have been hearing that SONY in particular is skilled in pulling off such antics.

I don't know what "better story" are they going to give? At least for me the emotional content of this story was deep. If all they are going to show next is another narrative on the complicated dynamics of adulthood relationships, then I am out.