See you on the next wave - Page 104

Posted: 6 years ago
We all have to face the consequences for our actions sooner or later in some shape or form 

Words so profound and timeless !

Don't we all say and act ...all the time...without a thought to what the consequences would be and then pay the price
In Nisha's own stories we have Ranjan who is paying the price for perhaps something he did not do, Neel would pay the price by losing the confidence of his son by his second marriage, and here we have Ashvin at the cusp of atoning for what happened ten years back

There are lessons to be learnt from failures and mistakes..and a price to be paid too !
Edited by VeeIyer - 6 years ago
"" indeed tears live in an onion that should water the sorrow"

If not anything atleast one's got the onion to mask the tears.. huh!!!! Prakash shanbag set the cat amongst the pigeons ... hmmm!!Edited by Errantnomad - 6 years ago

She will know the truth, but not from others Ashvin himself should tell her.

Mandira will sure be happy with her son's decision 

Waiting to read how Mr. Sharanbir reacts to this and what he will do?

Chooke bole na choona mujhe chooke bole na choona mujhe

maine samay rok ke
tera pataa poochha hai
Mili nadi se kehke saagar tale dhoonda hai

Haan , lehron pe chalte hue
paani ke phan choothe hai
Jaise tere hath ho
Mera   yeh tan choothe hai

Roshni se bhare bhare
Bhare bhare naina tere...

The mood of the update has me humming this song. I remember just after her marriage in Ashvin's home THEN, she snorted the clothes in her suitcase to inhale the scent of her home, her ullal and she felt as if no trace of scent was there like the receding ocean waves ebbing away holding nothing.

She's in ullal now in 'her home' . But like last time she doesn't hv to snort anything to feel 'HIS 'scent , as his scent is imprinted in her body and soul . SAND CLOCK , the one that sends it flowing in trickles from their clubbed hands has given 'Home' a new meaning after all...

She was not as chatty as before

She thought she had very few people to notice and interact  with in Bangalore...the life post the contract marriage had pushed her to a similar state in Ullal. She found reasons to go seek out Ashwin and chat...he yearned for fleeting glimpses of her.
She has been to BU now getting back to MU? I can see that the cat got my words...the update has left me feeling what a price the two are paying for some thought less act a decade ago.
A month ago to be precise a new wave emerged ...like treasures coughed up from the sea we were introduced to Ashvin Narang and Trisha Shanbag and Cuisine craft...I have felt the thrill of a surfer who balances on every rising wave...I have travelled on Canara Pinto to Ullal and journeyed to Kengeri and Christ University with Trisha...stroked the fur and felt the cuddly cat...I have visualised the shape and size of the scar left by every cooking experiment of hers...smiled at every exchange between A&T , Mama Narang's words of advice and Dadu Narang's effort to meet up with his young friend.

yet reading  watched her smile wipe out slowly left me numbed. So what if it is just a tale. When told so well it becomes so real.

Edited by moonwearer - 6 years ago
Unscathed?
Every day was almost the same since she returned, she helped with lunch, helped with clean up, walked home with Aanu, returned at 4:30 carrying fish or eggs or shrimp or chicken as was told
Helped set up tables for dinner, they had fewer lights on to allow dating couples to hold hands, Prakash was not a fan of that idea but Sanchet had started it when they sold liqor
Now Prakash followed it, missing his son and not willing to admit it
The place was always sparkling clean though not tastefully decorated or furnished
It was a permanent fixture on that sea facing road, it had been around over 60 years originally started 
by Grandpa Shanbag , Mr Vrajesh Shanbag, it was the place to eat, Trisha's mother 
was an excellent cook, bringing in revenue and regulars in a steady stream which helped a lot when they had three kids.

She hadnt been to MU since she returned, she had told Mrudula to find out if she could get her TAing back
There wasnt much hope
But worth checking...
When dinner was over, she sent Prakash home at 10, stayed up and cleaned everything with Rao Anna and the new cook
The new waiters were useless but thats what money was worth these days

They scrubbed everything clean since the inspection department were actually doing more surprise checks and since they served meat and served foriegners they were scrutinized more

Everything dried in the prep room cement counters, they left the windows open

The old frig creaked and rattled as the compressor cycled through. Sumant was on his hands and knees mopping the floor

"You did a great sacrifice" Rao Anna sighed pausing with the scrubbing letting the slim tube of water fill up that large aluminum pot

"It was not a sacrifice" she promised

"A married woman giving it all up to please her stubborn father?" he smiled fondly

"U know what the marriage was. Just something I did to help him"

"Was he a good man?"

she blushed... and tried to turn towards the pot she was scrubbing

"This is all caking up" she mumbled forcing herself to scrape the edge of the greasy pot with her index finger

"That bad huh?"

She mumbled "It was good.." "i was busy studying" 

"He was busy not caring for you?"

She looked at him in shock

"I know my child... rich boys... I have met a few in my life, they dont like the girl 
their own parents pick for them, this is even worse, he married you for God knows what"

"Hmmm" she nodded

"was he ever home?"

"Yes... many evenings" she said proudly

"oh?" he was surprised

"He fixed things, toaster, changed light bulbs, the awning, shade in 
the balcony (she explained further so Anna wud understand gesticulating), he fixed leaky 
faucets, pushed a bookshelf to a corner and made room for another book case" she said quietly, her voice tapering off

"Must be a skilled man" Rao Anna said grudgingly

"He has many friends and goes out almost every night" she said light heartedly

"He should have taken you"

"How can he. Its not real no? I am just like... somebody"

She scrubbed and scrubbed and rinsed and turned the pot upside down water sripped from all edges

She shook it

"Prakash was missing you for Utsav"

"i wanted to come but I could not" she said sadly

"Dont be upset, there will be other years"

"We should all go to Udipi" she paused and said aloud

"He doesnt want the restaurant shut down no?"

"I am going to talk to Aanu, he needs to do half day one day and shut it down one day"

"thats it, he will fire you" Rao Anna laughed heartily

"I am not even paid so he cant fire me" she laughed back at him

"Oh no, you cannot ask him to do such a cruel thing"  "He will be here until his last day" Rao Anna choked up

She whimpered softly her eyes filling up

"For your sake I hope he lives another 10 or 20 years. He is all you have"

She nodded with gratitude

"You foolish child, you know how our community is, you left a good man, married a stranger for a strange reason 
and now are back to live in your parent's house"

She looked at him distressed

"Wish you had atleast consulted me"

She walked around the kitchen area and shut out the lights, checked the front double glass door's inside bolts 
 she would later walk around and lock up the front accordion steel gates.

There was nothing much to steal, everything was old and or needed repair, but it was Prakash's only source of livelihood

"He would have never approved" she said quietly.

Rao Anna looked on dazed...

"I am back now, we are where we began, or infact before where it all began" she mumbled, and gave him a forced smile

"Unscathed?" he asked

the answer never came... she was out already through the back door, carrying the steel tiffin carrier with leftovers,
 Sumant nodded politely and left, she leaned on the back wall and waited for Rao Anna to grab his umbrella as it began to rain

We have heard Dadu Narang comment on her good laugh and say she must have a good heart. We now have Rao Anna asking if her husband was a good man. He definitely treated her well. Now all she has is dicing onions and washing greased pots and pans and assisting the Y&Y doing physical chores. 
How often we come across aged parents left to fend for themselves when the lads that should have stood by them go missing. especially in small communities where girls are still treated like passing clouds sons are accorded the honour of being steady as Terra Firma.
To have a married daughter return to her parental home...the worry is she unscathed  mentally, physically and financially is a natural thing.
Edited by moonwearer - 6 years ago
Rao Anna, she has come back carrying memories of him, scents and tastes of him, sights of him sprawled reading the saturday newspaper...an experience that is the referral point of days after the Saturday encounter...
I hope we get to see the grand dad and his youngest grandson discussing the Konkan beauty.