Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

Maan Geet : SS : Delicacies : Ch 3 - Pg 6, 22nd May

-Crayon- thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
Chapter 1 : Steamed Little Things

Idli, once again. Not again. He screamed mentally. If he was audible to the world, the glasses of the restaurant would have broken already. On any other bright day, he would have probably clicked a picture of the authentic south food Indian food placed in front of him and flaunted it on a fancy social networking site but it was not one of those other days. It was his freaking life which was in despair. He simply couldn't take the South Indian cuisine anymore. Dipping those rounded steamed things in a watery liquid named chutney and sweet Sambhar just didn't give a breezy start to his day whatsoever. Even the lunches didn't delight him per se. Rice. Every freaking day. What was a weekly or may be a monthly affair for him at home became a daily one. Rice was as important as salt for people here. No rice, no lunch. Heck no rice as an intermediary, no breakfast even except for some rare occasions.  Ever since he had shifted to the small city in the southern part of the country, his dreams were made of delicacies like Chole bhature and some Rajma chawal. He craved them like a pregnant lady craved for some odd snacks at odd hours. North Indian dishes in even North Indian restaurants had a southern flavor. He once saw curry leaves staring at him from his plate of Rajma Chawal. He had almost cried that day.

He even tried hiring a cook but things were a disaster. The cook had known only two dishes and would make them alternatively on weekdays. On weekends he took a break. Moreover, the guy felt too lazy to cook food with filter water, as he thought the filter tap was taking a long time to fill up the bowl and also he wasn't really keen on letting the gravy come together. He said, watery curry would make it easier for him to eat with rice and hit him with a wide toothy grin. He sighed, what else could he have done.

Thanks to his plight, He was becoming one grumpy uncle, the ones whom he used to tease as a kid. Karma was hitting him back very soon, albeit with those little steamed things.

As he walked entered his floor of the building, looking dejected, he noticed some commotion, celebration like commotion. Of course, it had something to do with Karthik, his neighbor. This man didn't need a reason to celebrate or be happy. Even a small change in his mundane life would make him beam. This time he was accompanied by his cousin, Geetha. She didn't share a lot of similarities with Karthik definitely. Whenever she would see him, she would roll her eyes without a fail. At times, he wondered if he looked that worn out and exhausted. Why else would she behave as if he had stolen her lollipop? He would never want her curry leaves flavored lollypops anyway, he cursed under his breath.

As Karthik greeted him gently, he looked at the guy leaving his house. They waited until the man left his place, that is when Karthik turned and looked at Maan.

"I have hired a new cook and  he is from from Nepal." He gave a gleeful smile.

Maan narrowed his brows and looked at him, "Do they cook something that is not South Indian? Or can they at least make momos?"  He asked with slight hope cropping up.

"Macha, That is so racist"

Maan looked at him with his eyes widened, Now what was so f**king racist in his question, he was just being a hopeful kid.

"Do you think these people only eat momos?"

Well he most definitely didn't say that.

"Whatever, Maan. I am sure he will forgive you for such generalizations. Besides, his family has spent all his life in South. He is an expert at cooking South Indian dishes. Why would I hire a Northie cook. Anyway, I will have to leave for now, Come Geetha, let's go"

"Kartik you go, I'll come in a while." She looked at Maan, she looked serious about something. How did it matter to him anyway. 

"Ok fine, bye."

For once, Maan was the one who rolled eyes at her. Even Karthik wasn't any less annoying, probably.  Meanwhile he saw her staring at him, scanning him from top to bottom, is she?

She nodded her head in disappointment.. "What is your problem in life brother? What do you want from it?"

And here it goes, again. He was seriously not up for it anymore. He wanted some peace, which he was sure, he wouldn't get from the lady who seemed to be disappointed in him for god knows what freaking reason. Didn't she have better things to do?

"Bye. " He said as he dismissed her off. 

"Wait. See...do you want me to cook for you? "

He stopped and looked,  "Come again?

"Would you want to hire me as your cook?" she repeated as she continued

"See, I came to do a course here, I was searching for a part time job for some financial assistance. I can cook decent North Indian food. Learnt it from my neighbors.  So if you don't mind, then..."

She paused as he looked at her confused.

"If you can cook, why do you not cook for your cousin? He seemed to be in need of some cook too?"

"Beacuse I can't take money from him, and I don't have enough time to cook for him for free."

"But I don't think he will be comfortable with this arrangement."

"Boss, he doesn't really give a shit about what I do. And everybody here is struggling to survive in way or the other. How does it even matter? You think too much, I'm telling you."

He still didn't seem convinced.

"So, done with my interview?"

"I really don't know, Geetha"

He looked at her with a dash of hopelessness and confusion, as she did it again, rolled her eyes, Damn! How much did he hate it.  "Okay, then goodbye. She waved. 

"Okay, wait. I'll hire you. Let's talk about the money."

"Cool. She smiled. "But before that, what are momos by the way?

"Oh they are these steamed little things with.."

"Oh like the Idli?"

"No no..completely different. Let me tell you..."

"Leave it, Not really interested. Let's talk money for now."

Edited by -Crayon- - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Crayon- thumbnail
Index 

Ch 1 and Ch 2 : Page 1. 

Ch 3  : Page 6
Edited by -Crayon- - 5 years ago
Roopa_1 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Congrats for new story ... It's very interesting ... Geet is south indian where as Maan north indian ... Just like two states... Maan is craving for north food like pregnant lady .   Lol. ..  well described .  ... But why Geet referred Maan as brother ? I didn't get that ..willing to read next part ... Update soon
deep002 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 7
Congrats for new story, interesting update, waiting for next update 
-Crayon- thumbnail

Chapter 2 : A Blend of Flavors

The aroma from the kitchen was making the wait difficult for him. Yesterday after discussing about the salary, they both had agreed on the morning time slot, worked for both of them. She would come in the morning, get done with her cooking before he left for office and he would take the dabba for work and have some in the night as well. But since, today turned out to be a Sunday, she came a little late, at lunch time. He was delighted that he would finally get to enjoy his favorite food. He had soaked the Rajma last night and cleaned all the required utensils properly as they were mired in dust. He made sure the kitchen was clean enough for her to work.

She seemed like somebody who would be particular about hygiene and cleanliness.  He had seen Karthik clean up his hall whenever she was supposed to come. Earlier he didn't talk much to Geetha, she didn't seem much like a people's person and neither was he. Karthik had told him that she is a bright student and this wasn't the first time she wasn't staying away from home. Only reason why her parents didn't force her to share a flat with her cousin.  Karthik felt relieved for he wasn't really comfortable with the idea of staying with someone from family as it was his first time away from home, he wanted to enjoy his freedom. Geetha only visited him occasionally. Karthik had somehow found it easier to adjust to the new place, when compared to himself.  Probably because the language and culture wasn't new to him. His neighbor had fewer things to adjust about. He sometimes envied him and didn't hide it either. He would playfully tell him. He wondered about his reaction. He didn't seem to know of it somehow. He didn't want him to be upset about it. That's all.  

"Who puts sugar in Dal, Geetha?" He looked bewildered. 

"My neighbors used to put..." She looked confused and for the first time a little bit of worry had donned her face.

"Nobody puts sweet in Dal. This is absolutely absurd." 

"They were from Gujarat and.."

"Wow! He scowled a little "Where is that cousin of yours, who called me racist? Well anything up South is not North ma'am. I expected a little more than this from you." He spoke, annoyed.

She frowned,  "Maan, let me at least continue. I know. They were Gujarati who only stayed in Amritsar and nowhere else before they shifted to my city.. They would only cook North Indian food and  I thought this too was some dish of you people."

Maan rubbed his forehead and  went ahead to taste some Rajma. He feared what horror was awaiting him in the name of Rajma. He was just fine without this arrangement, probably.

As he tasted a spoonful of it, she continued to look at him in hope, He didn't know how it tasted, it tasted nothing like home, but there was something very familiar about the dish. He narrowed his eyes and seemed to think hard, "Holy Christ!" He spoke after a pause, "This tastes like Sambhar!" 

"That's because I put Sambhar powder in it. Not too much, but a little."  

"But why would you do that?"

"Boss, there are hundreds of Masala flavours these days, Rajma, Chole, Kadhai Paneer, Shahi Paneer, Paneer Makhani, Dum aloo, we can't buy all of them. So we have to pick one in the end. For today, I just had this Sambhar powder at my home, so brought and used it. " 

He sighed, "Look, Geetha..I don't think this is a good idea."

"Wait, Just relax and taste some more. I'm pretty sure it isn't that bad. You are just disappointed that it didn't meet your expectations. Honestly, I am cooking all of this after a long time and I'm positive that it would get better in the future. Trust me a little. It won't be bad." She replied with what sounded as utmost sincerity. 

Probably she was right, the food  was edible and homemade food is way more hygienic. He could pass on those couple of recipes given by his mom,  which he tried but failed miserably, for he didn't even possess basic cooking skills."

"I think, one fine powder is suffice for all of them. I'll pass on my mom's recipe, If you don't mind."

"Not at all."  She smiled.

"I'll whatsapp you, but before that I think you should talk to Karthik about this.

"What? Why are you so stuck at Karthik, Maan? Why do you care?"

"Because he is the only one I know in this entire damn building and if I end up in a fight here, there must be atleast one person to support me." He wondered if that sounded like a serious reason, at all. But it was for him. No matter how silly it sounded to others. 

"Why are you people, so eager to get into fights?" She narrowed her eyes as she looked at his slightly disappointed face. 

"We people? Don't stereotype now, I have seen some of your movies too. Heroes fight all day long."

There she went. Rolling her eyes, again. He had to gather some courage one of these days and request her not to do that. It irked him. A lot. 

"Okay fine. I'll talk to him. But don't forget to send me the recipe, I'll send a list of all the ingredients required okay."

"Works for me."

She left the flat as he went ahead to clean the vessels. She had filled them with water. "Made my task easier." 

Edited by -Crayon- - 6 years ago
Veil thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
First off, watch this video
[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/DyHb1FnbjBU[/YOUTUBE]

Now now, when Geetha called him Brother, I was reminded of Nazriya's infamous "Brotherrr"

Oh btw did I tell you, you bought back all good memories dude. Back in our college, the cpoks in our mess were all from Nepal. They cooked terrific south Indian as well as North Indian. One of the key reasons I didn't get approval that home sick those years. 

There were so many menu changes but one hasn't for the entire time I was there. Because everyone loved it. Dosa sambhar on Sunday mornings. You know how we sleep late only on Sundays because all the other days we slog a lot. But everyone used to keep an alarm, go 2kms on our bikes to the mess (boys hostel was closer to the mess so they often turned up just hopping out of bed. Lucky them)

That one Sunday breakfast was so cherished. No southie missed it, and North Indian too haven't 

I miss my college now. Thanks for this dude. 

Edited by Veil - 6 years ago
snehapriya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Maan and Geet bonding over delicacies that too north indian. Very different concept. Both the parts were good. The way your are describing south indian food and north indian food tells you must be a south indian living in north india. Is my guess correct????

Waiting for next part... 
Pls add me to ur pmlist.
dqno1 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
I am so with Maan about the idlis 😆
My hubby can eat South Indian everyday but not for me
Neither of us are from North or South
I am the proud member of "paratha club" on South India tour

You brought about a unique way to show how we tend to stereotype people by region

I am glad Geetha is looking for work
perhaps the 2 states will meet

but sweet Rajma 😲 with sambhar powder
the girl needs some help
i love to read you 😆 Edited by dqno1 - 6 years ago
-Crayon- thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: dqno1

I am so with Maan about the idlis 😆
My hubby can eat South Indian everyday but not for me
Neither of us are from North or South
I am the proud member of "paratha club" on South India tour

You brought about a unique way to show how we tend to stereotype people by region

I am glad Geetha is looking for work
perhaps the 2 states will meet

but sweet Rajma 😲 with sambhar powder
the girl needs some help
i love to read you 😆

Hi. Long time. Good to see you again.  ðŸ˜ƒ

Sweet dal. ðŸ˜†

I love parathas.  I can eat all kinds of parathas. Even banana for that matter.  ðŸ˜†
-Crayon- thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Roopaamrutha

Congrats for new story ... It's very interesting ... Geet is south indian where as Maan north indian ... Just like two states... Maan is craving for north food like pregnant lady .   Lol. ..  well described .  ... But why Geet referred Maan as brother ? I didn't get that ..willing to read next part ... Update soon

Brother,  just like we call peoole "Bhaiyya" or "Boss". Nothing more to it.  ðŸ˜Š