I don't lobby for awards: Sonam Kapoor

touch_of_pink thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 6 years ago

I don't lobby for awards: Sonam Kapoor

Sonam Kapoor is ecstatic with Neerja's win at the National Awards and calls it a "huge validation"

•  
  •  
  •  
  •   
Sonam Kapoor
Sonam Kapoor will soon start shooting for Veere Di Wedding with Kareena Kapoor Khan, Swara Bhaskar and Shikha Talsania. (HT Photo)

Updated: May 03, 2017 19:24 IST

By Sneha Mahadevan, Hindustan Times

After the release of Neerja (2016), Sonam Kapoor took a break for an entire year. Now, she is back on the sets of her next film, relaxed and rejuvenated. What makes the return special is that her last film " Ram Madhvani's biopic on the fearless PanAm stewardess, Neerja Bhanot " won the National Award for the Best Hindi Film. Sonam also received a special mention for her career-defining role in the film. As she gets ready to receive the honour in Delhi, Sonam sits down to talk about her slow and steady' journey in Bollywood and her National Awards win, with HT Caf. Excerpts from an interview:

You didn't speak about the National Award win at all, until now. What was keeping you busy?

I am really shy and awkward about these things. I am ecstatic with the Best Hindi Film award and of course, the special mention for me too, but I just can't take credit for it solely. It's such a happy occasion and I am elated that our film was recognised for this honour.

Your father, Anil Kapoor, couldn't stop gushing about your National Award win. How does that make you feel?

He is too sweet. But it's amazing because I am here with my parents and it's a huge matter of pride. For me receiving the award being Anil Kapoor's daughter is the biggest joy because I don't lobby for awards. Funnily, I didn't feel any pressure or nervousness, I just feel light because this is a huge validation. Contrary to what people think, I work really hard on every project and I do it with a lot of integrity. When a film like this wins an award, it's reassuring as everyone is part of a competition and the rat race. It's about putting your head down, being focussed and working at your own pace. I've realised that aggression doesn't work in the long run. It affects you mentally and physically, and eventually burns you out. If you are kind, gentle, and true to yourself, that should be enough.

You have completed a decade in the Hindi film industry. How much have you changed in the past 10 years?

I don't think I have changed as a person. But I have learnt that you have to keep gathering experiences as an artiste. Acting is my job, so, I haven't set any targets for myself. It's not like I will work till I am 34 and then quit acting to get married. I am not running a race, it's my job and I am never going to stop acting.

You took a year off after Neerja released. What did you do?

As a human, the idea is to evolve and be a better person and artiste. I learned a lot about myself in this time off. I travelled a lot and also decided to work towards the betterment of society. I am involved with cancer awareness, raising awareness about malnutrition, and equal rights for LGBTQ. I want to be sure about the causes I support, so I spent a lot of time working with people, reading up and researching these things. Education, good roads and infrastructure are all issues that we definitely do need to deal with. But in a country like India, where the gap between the rich and the poor keeps widening, the focus should be on basic needs like food and shelter. I am a work in progress.

You recently wrote a piece for Hindustan Times on trolling. Was there an incident that triggered it?
It wasn't anything specific that triggered it, but I try to have an opinion on things that matter. Even if it means only ten people will read it. I love writing and I am thankful that HT chose me for this initiative, but I do think I could have been more articulate. Unfortunately, I only had a day to write it. But I do enjoy writing and have written about issues close to my heart. I think it's alright to say what you really feel and stand by it.

Photos of you on a vacation (with rumoured boyfriend Anand Ahuja, and friends and family) are all over social media. Does it affect you when your personal life gets written about often?

Honestly, that's one aspect of my life I choose to not speak about at all. I have nothing to hide, so the people close to me know all they need to. I work very hard and I don't feel the need to throw open discussions about my personal life. I'd rather people talk about my work.

http://m.hindustantimes.com/bollywood/i-don-t-lobby-for-awards-sonam-kapoor/story-iDJP5215PY5NEJNCaoPMFI.html

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DobbyDeol thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
You didn't speak about the National Award win at all, until now.

Yeah right! All that "I am a feminist, humanist, a national award winner" was 'not talking about it at all'..

Kuchh bhi bakwaas karwa lo!🥱
Edited by .Mishh007. - 6 years ago
Oh dear Lord!!

Yeh phir boli 😵

Maharani69 thumbnail
Engager 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 6
"Acting is my job, so, I haven't set any targets for myself. It's not like I will work till I am 34 and then quit acting to get married. I am not running a race, it's my job and I am never going to stop acting."

I'm never going to stop gloating about my NA either. 

"I work very hard and I don't feel the need to throw open discussions about my personal life. I'd rather people talk about my work."

No, you really don't want that. 

And ofc you don't lobby for awards, in order to do that you need to do something that is worth lobbying for. 
.Peaceminusone. thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
It's high time these people know the difference between "speaking your mind", "being a loudmouth " and" being absolute embarrassment to yourself".. 
SillyPepper thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
She has given like 85342 interviews and that obnoxious piece of writing stating herself NA winner,yeah,new definition of being shy.I don't think even actual award winners bragged this much. Anyway, overtime for her big mouth,not that it took rest.Edited by NautankiSaali - 6 years ago
QueenRhaenys thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Resultado de imagen de how about having a nice big cup of shut the
djoker thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
how to speak nonsense   -lesson by sonam kapoor

Maraka_Musso89 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
The number of person who are bothered with her mere existence is frightening. Frustrated much?! Wouldn't it be more natural to ignore someone one dislikes?
Great intereview, it does put things into perspective.