Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Anuradha Paudwal(Tamma Tamma) slams remixes-People sell trash nowadays

DriftInfinitely thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
One of the most popular voices of the '90s, Anuradha Paudwal has been away from Bollywood's playback scene for 17 years; her last filmi song was Kismat Se Tum in Pukar (2000).
With several chartbusters in Tezaab (1988), Aashiqui (1990), Dil (1990) and Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin (1991) to her credit, the Padma Shri awardee doesn't intend to return to movies.

"I stopped singing for Bollywood when I was at the peak of my career. I gave it my best, but then decided to pursue my passion " devotional music. Moreover, I don't identify with today's film music. That's why I stay away from it," says the singer, who is fond of composer duo, Ajay-Atul's work, "Given a chance, I would like to sing for them."

Her 1990 hit, Tamma Tamma, from Thanedaar, has been recreated in Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt-starrer Badrinath Ki Dulhania and is now topping music charts. However, Paudwal is not in favour of the current trend of revisiting/ remixing old numbers.

"Earlier, I used to get upset with the way these remixes were done. They took away the essence and soul of the original songs. Gaane vidhwansak ho gaye hain (songs have a destructive tone nowadays). But now, I realise that this is how the newer generation expresses love. I wonder how they still appreciate Sufi music, which is so soulful," says Paudwal, and adds, "People make and sell trash in the name of trends these days."

-----

She sang her way through the 70s and 80s, before quitting playback for Bollywood films at her peak in the 90s, and Anuradha Paudwal says she always wanted to leave the game when on the top. Anuradha first sang a shloka in the 1973 Abhimaan starring Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bachchan, following up with films like Kalicharan, Aap Beati and the blockbuster Hero. It was, however, in the 90s where the 64-year-old singer came up with consecutive hits in Aashiqui, Dil Hai Ki Maanta Nahi and Saajan.

"I had decided to give up film singing much before Aashiqui and Dil Hai Ki Maanta Nahi'. But I had decided that I will give it up when I am at my peak," she confesses. When asked why did she want to leave at her peak, the singer added, "Because you should be missed." Her decision to quit singing for films came as a surprise for many but Anuradha says nobody was privy to her idea. "Nobody knew. I didn't discuss it with anyone. It was only between me and my God. I'd rather be missed than people say why is she singing,'" she says. (ALSO READ: Mahesh Bhatt and Anuradha Paudwal to reunite after 15 years)

She, however, did reach a stage in her career where after having several highs with films like Ek Duje Ke Liye and Karz, she saw a dry run post Hero. "There was a big lull of four years after Hero. I faced that. There were hardly any films. They were all multi starers," Anuradha says. The singer then gradually moved to singing devotional songs. Anuradha says she had to initially face difficulty even for singing devotional tracks.

"You will be surprised, that time when I had gone to a couple of companies, I said I want to sing bhajans' but they said no there is no market for your bhajan. And see today. The whole scenario has changed. "They said no one wants to listen to bhajans from you. They wanted me to sing only ghazals. Now that I look back, it has been a very rich journey."

The veteran singer feels she can't fit into the music scene of today, "there is Jazz, pop, rock kind of music which I can't sing". She doesn't have any disdain for it except for a word of caution for contemporary singers. "I feel bad when singers don't try to retain their identity. Everybody sounds the same. You can't figure out. Songs are composed only on those four notes.

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/anuradha-paudwal-slams-trend-of-remixing-old-songs-people-sell-trash-these-days/18072153

http://www.bollywoodlife.com/news-gossip/i-had-decided-to-give-up-film-singing-much-before-aashiqui-singer-anuradha-paudwal-on-quitting-bollywood-music/
Edited by DriftInfinitely - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

zehreeli.kheer thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7
Who decides what is trash though
Originally posted by: .rasgulla.

Who decides what is trash though

Well, she has said this before, too. πŸ˜† So I guess it's not just about Tamma Tamma.
Other singers like Kumar Sanu and I think Abhijeet have also called current BW music trash. 

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
BW music is at its lowest right now , no doubt on that 
zehreeli.kheer thumbnail
Originally posted by: DriftInfinitely

Well, she has said this before, too. πŸ˜† So I guess it's not just about Tamma Tamma.
Other singers like Kumar Sanu and I think Abhijeet have also called current BW music trash. 

I know its not about Tamma Tamma.. My point is who gets to decide if what people liking these days is trash? Thing is, people of yesteryears more often than not fail to appreciate that preferences and liking change with time.. That does not mean what they like today is trash or what was happening before was oh so beautiful

The irony is I hate remixesπŸ˜†
Justmoi thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
You have the right to dislike some genres. You do not have the right to call music that does not appeal to you, trash.
Really. Learn to reinvent if not stay irrelevant. 

I know its not about Tamma Tamma.. My point is who gets to decide if what people liking these days is trash? Thing is, people of yesteryears more often than not fail to appreciate that preferences and liking change with time.. That does not mean what they like today is trash or what was happening before was oh so beautiful

The irony is I hate remixesπŸ˜†

I know what you mean, though the difference between now and all other eras is that the music these days is often produced digitally unlike earlier when a variety of instruments were used and there was hardly any autotune. Still, calling it trash is hash. πŸ˜†
zehreeli.kheer thumbnail

I know what you mean, though the difference between now and all other eras is that the music these days is often produced digitally unlike earlier when a variety of instruments were used and there was hardly any autotune. Still, calling it trash is hash. πŸ˜†

Technology has taken over every aspect of life.. Why would music be spared?πŸ˜†
Don't mind me, I am arguing because I am boredπŸ˜†

Technology has taken over every aspect of life.. Why would music be spared?πŸ˜†
Don't mind me, I am arguing because I am boredπŸ˜†

Haha, no I don't mind.
πŸ˜†

Yeah, technology makes it easier to compose music, so it's no surprise really. πŸ˜†
Soon humans will also be replaced by robots. πŸ˜†
zehreeli.kheer thumbnail

Haha, no I don't mind.
πŸ˜†

Yeah, technology makes it easier to compose music, so it's no surprise really. πŸ˜†
Soon humans will also be replaced by robots. πŸ˜†

Havent you heard of robotic surgeries?πŸ˜†