Posted: 7 years ago
https://img1.picload.org/image/rloriacl/ngab1.png

Yashoda and Rohini moved along the eastern wall, each humming their favourite songs, pushing open the windows to let in the bubbling sunlight. Birds' chattering was the only sound that distracted them. The boys were not up yet. When awake, they always managed to keep their mothers on their toes.

Balaram, the elder, was a generally good-natured and occasionally short-tempered boy while Krishna, his younger, was a complete riot.

However, it would hardly be fair to assume that Balaram was the idealistic, self-sacrificing elder brother. More often that not, he would be the one to go and tip off the elders about Krishna's pranks. They fought and they bickered, but in the end, it was always Krishna's charm that won.

-'-'-

The day was as normal as any other and Balaram had just woken up to the first rays of the sun kissing his forehead. Krishna was still fast asleep. As was their routine, Balaram proceeded to wake him up.

The moment he reached out, Krishna turned over, still sleeping. Balaram shook his head fondly, and removed the flute that was, till then, lying under Krishna. He thought he'd heard a faint humming. Dismissing it as an early morning fantasy, he proceeded to tidy up his bed.

As he bent down to retrieve his uttariya from under the bed, he again heard the humming noise. By instinct he turned on the spot to face a complete (and insanely huge) bee hive under Krishna's bed.

He sighed loudly, "So sorry Chotu. This time I can't save you." He muttered to himself.

"Get up Chotu!" he said loudly, as he physically lifted Krishna off his bed and put him down onto the ground. "Why do you always have to that? I was having such an amazing dream!" said Krishna between a couple of loud yawns, still on the ground.

"What kind of a dream was that? Okay, lets see. Something involving gardens and fountains and, maybe, a couple of bees?"

"Oh, you found the hive."

"Yes most certainly and now I'm going to slap you tight. How dare you bring that thing inside the house?!" shouted Balaram.

"Shush, Dau! They wanted to come."
"They wanted to come, and you brought them along?"
"Yeah?"
"Don't you know how scared Yashoda Maa is of bees?"
"I know! That is why the thing is under the bed."
"And, who is to take the blame when Sumitra comes cleaning? Not me, and that's final!"
"Oh! I forgot about her. Surely you can help me hide it in the attic?"
"Surely not. I'm going down."
"What for? Let's put it up in the roof then? Sumitra will definitely not climb up there."
"Neither will I. You get that thing out immediately or I'm going down to Yashoda Maa."
"Nah, you're too good to do that."
"Try me."
"You'll help me."
"You get lost."

Without realizing they had both reached the door, and Balaram made a run for it. Krishna followed in a second. Almost together they ran down the stairs into the living room.

"Yashoda-Maa-Chotu's-got-a-bee-hive-under-his-bed."
"What?" asked Yashoda, staring at him. At that precise moment Krishna, who had stopped in his track, skipped over the couch beside the mortar and took a long jump over a couple of girls grinding spices and ran.

However, just near the main gate, Rohini caught hold of his arm and half-walked and half-dragged Krishna back to where Yashoda and Balaram were standing.

The thing is, you get used to catching hurricanes when you live under the same roof as them for twelve years.

"So," started Yashoda, "what did Dau bhaiya just say?" Krishna shook his head, "I didn't hear Maa."
Scowling, Yashoda said, "Haven't you got a bee hive under your bed?"

Just then, Sangeeta came down. Panting, she said, "I've bolted all the windows, and locked the door Nand-raani!" Yashoda looked at her worriedly, "You didn't get hurt, I hope? Were they buzzing all over?"
"Ah-um, I didn't dare look properly! I'm sorry!"
"No problem, just keep a check the door is locked. And so, Kanha, I asked you something."

"I don't know Maiya. Maybe Dau brought it in?"
Balaram looked extremely hurt, "Yashoda Maa do you think I'll ever do such a thing to you?"
"No, of course not Dau. Kanha stop lying."
"I'm not lying Maa."
"In that case, you're not going out to play today." Krishna groaned. Balaram caught Krishna's eye and picked the hint. He said, "All the same Yashoda Maa, it wasn't too big, you know; just a tiny bee-hive." Yashoda raised her eyebrows and smiled (just a bit), "And you can go out."
Krishna made a face, and turned, "Maiya, you know, I could go out in his stead and Dau could stay back and, umm, help you?"
"Dau. Get. Out." Yashoda repeated sternly, making many of the girls who were sniggering, shut up.

Trying his best to look sad, but barely hiding a grin, Dau walked out.

Krishna, sensing defeat, settled down on the front porch and contended himself in feeding the pigeons that had flocked down around him.

-'-'-

All of Krishna's friends had gathered before Dau's favourite mango tree to discuss their problem.
They never really felt complete without Krishna. Them called themselves as his army and addressed him as the Prince of Gokul. They were decided on the fact that keeping a bee-hive under your bed wasn't a crime serious enough to keep you indoors on such a fine day.

"But who would bell the cat? Who will persuade Yashoda Rani to let him go?" asked Sridama for the third time. Radha sighed, "I would go if Sangeeta was not there. I think she knows about Kanha and me." Radha blushed.
"Everyone knows about you and our Prince." snapped Madhu. Dau, perched on one of the higher branches of the tree, chuckled and a mango seed flied out of his hand and landed right inside Radha's matki. "Could you stop doing that? I have take it back." said Radha irritably.
Still laughing, Dau raised his hand in apology, and said, "Do we even need to speak to her?"
Lalita picked up the cue and said, "Oh yes! We could think up a plan to smuggle him out without Yashoda Maa knowing he's gone!"
"Or better!" said Radha, snapping her fingers, "Come here everyone, I've got a plan!"

-'-'-

"Ready?" Radha whispered. All proud soldiers of Krishna's sena had armed themselves in the best way possible. Radha was sitting behind a bush with Dau who clutched Krishna's catapult as they stared at the kitchen window of their house. Mansukha and Sridama were waiting up on the peepal tree, their pockets bulging with stones. Madhu and Raghu stood just beyond the main gates. All of the others were also scattered up on the trees and behind various bushes and pillars around the main street. Dau's pipe was the signal.

As soon as Dau blew his pipe, utter chaos broke out on the street. The children ran here and there screaming and panting, breaking whatever they could. Soon, the elders took notice and panic followed. Radha took of one of her earrings and snatched the catapult from Balaram to aim at the chandelier in the living room. Balaram watched amazement as Radha struck perfectly, and the chandelier jingled and swayed dangerously. "I never thought you had it in you." said he. Radha smiled and patted herself on the shoulders.

Meanwhile, as soon as chandelier was struck Krishna had jumped up to cover his mother. He looked worriedly over his shoulder. as he tried desperately to judge the aura around their home. Yashoda hurried over to the window.

Raghu and Madhu came running and they shouted, "Krishna! Kanha! Help us! Adrishyasur, the Invisible Monster has struck!"
Yashoda clapped a hand over her mouth to stifle a scream.

Adrishyasur? Thought Krishna. Though he never forgot any one he'd made, he summoned the Vishnu in him and searched.

Paatal Lok? Check. Daitya Lok?  Check. Daanav Lok? Check. Rakshas Lok? Check.
There was no Adrishyasur. Hmm. Then it must be one of their brains.
Raghu? Check. Madhu? Check. Sridama? Check. Dau? Check. Radha! So this is it.

Rohini looked around suspiciously and said, "But I don't see anyone there." Raghu smacked his lips, "Right. He's adrishya, invisible." Madhu, in his attempt to patch it up said, "You know he's carried Dau away!"
Both the mothers clapped their hands over their mouth.

Krishna had found Radha's earring. Smiling, (though slightly irritated with their choice of an excuse) he jumped over the window and ran up to the bush where they were hiding. He stood guard over it so that Dau could climb up a tree. He then walked up to the clearing and cleared his voice.

Everyone around him froze immediately to see how their little Prince would deal with this peril.

"Leave Dau!" he roared (and out jumped Balaram, of the tree he'd climbed), "And go away. Never should I find you troubling my friends and family. You know what I would do to you if you dare return (he punched the air). Now get lost!"

As if on cue, all his hidden soldiers blew their pipes in tune so as to mimic the imaginary demon's roar, and Krishna laughed.

Yashoda, who had ran out of the house, clasped Balaram to her breast, while Rohini pulled Krishna into a warm embrace.

-'-'-

Later, as they were being fed to their fullest by the mothers, Rohini couldn't stop praising Krishna's courage and his compassion, and bees lay forgotten under his bed. She glared at Balaram, who was looking positively disgruntled, and said, "You should be thanking him! You're alive only because of him." Balaram raised his eyebrows. Krishna nodded sarcastically. When no one was looking, he leaned towards his brother and said, "You'd do better to thank me, you know, I just saved you from a week's worth of punishment."
"It were your bees and you know that."
"That reminds me we still have got to put the hive up on the roof."
"No way Chotu!"
"Excellent! Then I say we do it tonight." chuckled Krishna.
Balaram too, after a moment's hesitation, joined him.
This one is very-y random, and is meant only to entertain.
It takes inspiration from a variety of anecdotes and movies, and as far as I know, has no base in the real books.

I hope you people will enjoy it. 😳
Res! I promise I will unres aaj hi! ðŸ˜³

Unres!
Sorry, I am pathetic at reviews, but oh well!
This was so cute and I so loved it!
Dau is so cutee <3
So is Aryaa! 😳

Edited by Shrinika13 - 7 years ago
Radhika , just read few lines and kept it carefully nearer to my heart ,yet to peep in , have to read this OS ! I know it will be excellent ! ðŸ˜Š Will be back .
the best part, krishna scaning the lokas of asuras for the fictional asur. 😆
Lovely piece of writing dear..
Keep it up!

Nandini
Krishna scanning for the "invisible asur" was too much ðŸ¤£.
Fabulous piece of work.
Loved it so much.
Thanks for the pm.