Views

Users

Frequent Posters

charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago
This content was originally posted by: ScorpionGunner

Surprise to see that no one is talking about Jallikattu ðŸ˜² 

We did discuss a bit on it in last thread. But ab toh  you got the ordinance out . Sab theek hai.😆
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
This content was originally posted by: charminggenie

Here's a question - Can a pro-lifer be feminist as well?

I think yes. Feminism is about the woman's right to her body, but it is not limited to abortion. Feminism includes supporting women's rights to education, work and fair pay. It includes protecting women against molestation, domestic abuse, rape or violence of any form. It includes supporting a woman's choice of when to get married, to whom and choosing if she wants to bear children. Feminism is this and a whole lot more. 
Feminism is complicated too. There is no perfect version. I am staunchly pro-choice, but I know that there are many pro-life people who also do a lot for women. If they choose to identify as feminists, I welcome their support in our common cause. I will treat them with equal warmth and respect  - but will also respectfully challenge them where we disagree. I hope they extend the same courtesy to me. I have a caveat though - they ideally ought to support access to contraception, safe sex education and access to health care for pregnant women and babies who cannot afford it. 

Abortion is just one conflict in feminism. Feminists are divided on many issues like karva chauth, burqua, po*n, prostitution. There will never be a perfect feminist platform all feminists can buy into. 
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: _Angie_

Fairness should be about preventing a wrong as some of the  wrongs cannot be rectified. One can prevent recurrence of those wrongs.

Retribution may provide closure to the sense of victimhood. While it doesn't right a wrong it could sometimes,  serve to prevent recurrence by discouraging the perpetrator.

We humans think we are the only ones with a sense of right and wrong. We think we are the only ones whose behavior is guided by morality while animal behavior is guided by survival instinct and nothing else.

But science is fast accumulating evidence that certain species of animals too have exhibited morality, time and again, and that morality is an evolved trait.

http://www.livescience.com/16814-animals-wrong-clues-point.html

How archaic humans like neanderthals dealt with animals shouldn't be how a modern day 21st century human being deals with animals because we supposedly have higher intelligence now not to mention a "better moral compass" than neanderthals; but, if anything, we are worse off now considering how animals are abused, experimented on, hunted for sport, injured/killed in the name of entertainment in this day and age.

Clearly, our sense of right and wrong is limited to serve / advance our interests and only our interests. Given that we are so selfish, I find it hilarious that some of us sometimes look towards the skies seeking help from, or curse at, an hypothetical God when things are not going our way or when events around us are not playing out according to our sense of justice.

To go back to what you said in the context of the hypothetical scenario that I set up, do you still think retribution meted out to humans by aliens with superiors intelligence would provide a closure to the victimized animals and/or an equitable cosmic act? Or, do you think animals are not victimized by us and we (collectively) don't deserve any retribution?

K.Universe. thumbnail

Intelligence that performs or atleast has the ability to perform, without which it seems to be not much good!

Performs? What kind of performance?

Who is more "powerful" between a healthy rat and Stephen Hawking?
K.Universe. thumbnail

Science has no conclusive answers to when exactly an individual comes into being though legally speaking it is accepted  at birth.

Should killing a pregnant woman be considered as a double murder?

Setting legalities aside, which act is more vile between killing a woman and killing a pregnant woman?

Edited by K.Universe. - 7 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
This content was originally posted by: K.Universe.

Setting legalities aside, which act is more vile between killing a woman and killing a pregnant woman?

They both kill someone and are equally vile. 
K.Universe. thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: return_to_hades

They both kill someone and are equally vile. 

In Laci Peterson's case, the husband was convicted of murder in the first degree for Laci's death, and in the second degree for the death of their prenatal son. I know, I told you guys to set legalities aside but the reason I am bringing this case up is because more and more people are changing their opinions about murdered pregnant women thus translating into laws calling out for harsher penalties if the victim is murdered while pregnant.

Ethical values and legal principles have a very close relationship. So, even though ethics are opinions and each of us may have different moralities guiding us individually, collectively speaking, we humans seem to think that killing a pregnant woman is more vile than killing a woman, if you go by the laws.
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

We humans think we are the only ones with a sense of right and wrong. We think we are the only ones whose behavior is guided by morality while animal behavior is guided by survival instinct and nothing else.

But science is fast accumulating evidence that certain species of animals too have exhibited morality, time and again, and that morality is an evolved trait.

http://www.livescience.com/16814-animals-wrong-clues-point.html

How archaic humans like neanderthals dealt with animals shouldn't be how a modern day 21st century human being deals with animals because we supposedly have higher intelligence now not to mention a "better moral compass" than neanderthals; but, if anything, we are worse off now considering how animals are abused, experimented on, hunted for sport, injured/killed in the name of entertainment in this day and age.

Clearly, our sense of right and wrong is limited to serve / advance our interests and only our interests. Given that we are so selfish, I find it hilarious that some of us sometimes look towards the skies seeking help from, or curse at, an hypothetical God when things are not going our way or when events around us are not playing out according to our sense of justice.

To go back to what you said in the context of the hypothetical scenario that I set up, do you still think retribution meted out to humans by aliens with superiors intelligence would provide a closure to the victimized animals and/or an equitable cosmic act? Or, do you think animals are not victimized by us and we (collectively) don't deserve any retribution?

So  incidents such as shown in the video (re-sharing)  are not to be dismissed as  an aberration.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugi4x8kZJzk

Do animals seek retribution? This bull certainly looked set to seek revenge!

http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/bull-seeks-revenge-on-man-(threw-hot-water-on-it)--gores-him-to-death/981941/

Did the bull get a sense of closure after extracting revenge? Difficult to  say .  As far as human beings are concerned some prefer to  let their sense of victimhood fester for a considerable period till they can extract their revenge after which the healing process seems to set in .  While others may not deem it worth to undergo that  torture anymore than they have to and prefer an earlier healing process by letting go. Different folks different strokes.

Cruelty is sadly quite commonly observed, not only against animals but also against other human beings. Possibly due to ignorance, lack of empathy, misguided notions, traditional conditioning, feelings of insecurity, entertainment., to uphold cultural identity (!)..For some, the only way to understand the pain caused might  be to undergo that experience. Here retribution could serve as a lesson and with the new insight gained its possible that the person would refrain from a repeat act.

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: K.Universe.

Who is more "powerful" between a healthy rat and Stephen Hawking?

Intelligence is a pre-requisite . A human being with the know how, made available the means that enabled  Hawking to express his own intelligence to the world. Consider Stephen Hawking, with all his intelligence and its potential power, bereft of any means to express himself, his brilliance would stay unmanifest  and unknown! The knowledge he  shared would have to be put to proper use by other human beings for it to unfold  its power. Hence the need for intelligence  coupled with the ability/means  and also a conducive  environment to  manifest as  evidence of power.