Posted: 7 years ago
What is going on in Tamil Nadu right now is probably the biggest protest seen in Indian in the recent decades . The nation hasn't seen such a peaceful protest by the youth ,without the support of the government (both center and state ) . The number of protestors in every city is in lakhs and The count in still increasing .Looking at the images of the crowd gives goosebumps for every TN resident .
What is your take on the protests that is going on right now ? What are your opinions on the Jallikattu ban ? What is your take on the reaction by National (?) Media and the government ?

I am curious to know how people from other states view this. There has been no thread /post  regarding the same (AFAIK) .Are people really ignorant of what is going on  and why it is going on ?

Kindly share your views . People bitch about XYZ celebrities .Can't we talk about something huge that is going on in the real world ,for once ?
I have to read about it.. 
but, you know I am really confused too.

It is not just the argument of retaining the "quality breed" of Brahman bulls but, it is the cultural/traditional sentiment of the Tamilians that is clearly reflecting in the large-scale protest for pro-Jallikattu.

Now that is a difficult thing to deal with. 

Anything scientific like the argument of sifting the quality bulls for breeding purposes can be countered with a better method of preserving the quality breed through scientific means.

When it has now become a question of cultural sentiment, how do you bring the people to understand?

I am much confused too... but but but, here comes the interesting part - apart from preserving animal rights, the consitution also has given the state with the responsibility of creating scientific temper among the people :) (don't remember the articles and stuff , bear with me here). 

It is to be seen, I have no idea how the state will do in talking the sentimental citizens into giving up the tradition, a very interesting case.
Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

It is not just the argument of retaining the "quality breed" of Brahman bulls but, it is the cultural/traditional sentiment of the Tamilians that is clearly reflecting in the large-scale protest for pro-Jallikattu.

Anything scientific like the argument of sifting the quality bulls for breeding purposes can be countered with a better method of preserving the quality breed through scientific means.

When it has now become a question of cultural sentiment, how do you bring the people to understand?

I am much confused too... but but but, here comes the interesting part - apart from preserving animal rights, the consitution also has given the state with the responsibility of creating scientific temper among the people :) (don't remember the articles and stuff , bear with me here). 

It is to be seen, I have no idea how the state will do in talking the sentimental citizens into giving up the tradition, a very interesting case.

@red: What do you mean by this? What are the better methods of preserving the quality breed through scientific means?
i feel the ban is biased..
if cruelty against animal is the main issue
then we should ban eating chicken mutton
turkey (during Thanks Giving) fish cow
rabbits snakes octopus cockroaches (eaten by Chinese ppl)
n stop using all leather products..we must nt use snake venoms too
then used as medicines n antidotes..no experiments on lab animals
should be permitted too..we must nt have oaster sauce
nt wear pearls nor wear silk as silkworms are killed..nor eat eggs too..
we must nt have milk as baby cow is denied its milk from mother cow..
so no ghee no paneer no butter cheese no diary product we must have..
we should nt wear woolen cloths furs n we should die in icy winters..
as every sheep is reared off its last wool..to keep us warm..oh yes  we must nt
have honey too..we keep them in captivity against their wish am sure..
n we should let every animal to multiply in lakhs so we should find
multiple habitable planets as soon all animals if they live their full age
should be able to outnumber humans  in a decade 😆

bt then over riding the SC is another tale of  epic disaster ..
soon every community will ape this n try reverse judgement
there will be more lawlessness everywhere..
if Jalikatu is allowed with tweaked regulations then triple talaq ban
should also be never be forced on Muslims as they have as much right to
hold on to "their years of rights to traditional practice n religious freedom"
as the Tamilians..also Gay rights will never see their freedom ever then as
then this same way ppl who always bat for traditional ways will never allow
such "irreligious practice"

in short with jalikatu ban revoked many more legal rights will remain
infringed throttled in the sacrificial fire of "traditional rights n ethics"
n India will be the land of the barbarians with its rigid mentality..
intolerance in the name of "religious n traditional rights"

Simple if u are banning ban for all states...y this hypocrisy...this happens in other state y not in d state where its originated...then wat about those Rooster fights...I feel its much more cruel than slaughtering animals...atleast here bulls arent allowed to fight with one another...sceinetific measures ? I read Somewhere in total 6 species were there ...one is already extinct? Wat measure did they taken to preserve that...I blame my state government...wen we ppl crying for kaveri water did d other allowed even after SC ordered them...I totally blame my state government...and Who I am to order  government to ban jallikattu...its farmers /villagers who bring up these bulls even technology is advanced much more...am not helping farmers...I don care about them even when they suicide...I don really try to help them even when they sell land or animals ...its upto d one who brings/own ...and they want it and I support them...hope they lift d ban and conduct this with safety measures...I know
This post is not releated to bollywood...
The main argument of pro Jallikatu people is that this helps keep the breed of bulls more visible and hence the breed will not die out.  So its to protect indigenous breeds according to them.   But why does a practice in which the bull have to be put through pain and torture have to be the way the breed is preserved.  They can have showcase competitions like dog shows where the best kept healthy bull wins which will also keep the interest for the bull alive.  People say that there is no torture to the animal but this is absolutely not true.  When the ban was implemented the Supreme Court looked at all the proof of the torture objectively and gave the ban decision.  Its not secret how bulls were starved, had chillies put in their eyes, had their tails twisted and broken to make them more aggressive.   It is no fun for a lone bull to be fighting off hundreds of people jumping on it aggressively.   South India has time and again gone against the Constitution and defied Supreme Court rulings on many matters.  Then why have a Supreme Court?  Just let anarchy rule.  
More than anything the timing of lifting this ban is telling.  There is a vacant power seat due to the death of Jayalalitha.  All politicians are trying to cash in and trying to be popular  because of the visibility this issue has gained.    Every political party is trying to get into the good books of people for votes alone.  

The ordinance to lift the ban should never have been passed.  It sets a wrong example about how unimportant the Supreme Court is.  Eventually there will be a law and order situation for anything that goes against the popular vote which can in many cases be wrong and ruled only for egos of certain people.

India is regressing to want such archaic animal abuse practices just in the name of tradition.  South India has the most horrific animal abuse practices carried out in the name of religion and it will take a strong political will to stop these nonsense traditions from raising their heads.   Elephant abuse, stray dog killings which really  in the long run serve no purpose against a properly implemented birth control system,  now this Jallikatu... just rampant animal abuse in the south.  Very disturbed and disappointed with the lift of the ban.  

Dhanush 
@dhanushkraja

#Jallikattu is an integral element of the voice and identity of Tamilians. #ISupportJallikattu #WeNeedJallikattu #TamilCulture

its unfair to target 1 tradition.
Originally posted by -sevenstreaks-

Simple if u are banning ban for all states...y this hypocrisy...this happens in other state y not in d state where its originated...then wat about those Rooster fights...I feel its much more cruel than slaughtering animals...atleast here bulls arent allowed to fight with one another...sceinetific measures ? I read Somewhere in total 6 species were there ...one is already extinct? Wat measure did they taken to preserve that...I blame my state government...wen we ppl crying for kaveri water did d other allowed even after SC ordered them...I totally blame my state government...and Who I am to order  government to ban jallikattu...its farmers /villagers who bring up these bulls even technology is advanced much more...am not helping farmers...I don care about them even when they suicide...I don really try to help them even when they sell land or animals ...its upto d one who brings/own ...and they want it and I support them...hope they lift d ban and conduct this with safety measures...I know
This post is not releated to bollywood...

Rooster fights ARE banned.  If they are carried out they are illegal and culprits can be booked by law.  Traditions have to be changed with the times.  New sensibilities come with new knowledge and more education.  There is nothing with not helping the farmers with this issue.  No economic rewards will go to farmers for this except whatever illegal betting would be going on.  There is just no real purpose to Jallikatu. 
Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

Okay ,let me try to explain on preserving the quality bulls by scientific methods.
The protest has started because no such method was adopted to preserve this and hence the decline in the number of breeds 
The Bull that manages to win is used for breeding.( Stud bull,w will cost around 5K - 10 K to serve the cow).Poor farmers who cannot afford to maintain bulls along with cows make use of the temple bulls( Usually known for virility and agility) to serve the cows.
Now, When government advises rural people on Artificial insemination( which I personally feel is  cruel) for free and uses semen from breeds like Jersey , Holstein because the yield is more , naturally the number of country breeds decline .( Information courtesy- Some articles and my Vet friend)

What has surprised me is, this tradition takes place only in 3-4 districts with participants of 50-100 and few thousand Spectators has managed to evoke so much emotion . I am following this issue at least for couple of years and I can't believe this escalated so quickly.

Edited by NautankiSaali - 7 years ago
They are trying to preserve Tamil culture? how? Seriously its ridiculous