Kushal Tandon - Is he the ideal Arjun Sharma?

Posted: 7 years ago
Hello everyone, this is not a bashing post, I have just stated my opinion about Kushal's acting in the least offensive way possible. Both positive as well as negative comments are welcome.

So, while everyone was busy complaining about Kushal's acting from the beginning of the show, I was honestly perfectly alright with it. Day after day I saw minimal improvement and that was good enough in my opinion. Of course his acting was nowhere close to Jennifer's, but keep in mind that she's been doing this for 16 years and practice makes perfect. I was fine with Kushal's acting not being meticulous or aware all the time because that's how his character Arjun is.
I do feel Kushal is the ideal actor to play Arjun's careless, distracted, unaware, funny and cocky self. But when it comes to emotional scenes, I do feel something is lacking. The first time I felt this lack of emotion was during the conversation Maya and Arjun had at the terrace. When Arjun was narrating how his father had been part of him overcoming his fear of heights, it seemed almost as if he was reciting a script he'd memorised, and that's exactly what he was doing. I felt no depth, emotion or even interest. It's like he wanted to get over with that scene. I think the fact that he was placed opposite to Jennifer's amazingly emotional and very touching acting made his lack of interest more prominent.
The second and last time I noticed something missing in Kushal's acting was in the latest epispde or two when Maya was in the hospital. Everyone is discussing how worried he seems and how caring his character has turned but I feel the need to disagree. The writers did a wonderful job writing the script for the last few episodes, proving that Arjun is truly in love with Maya but Kushal's acting was a big turn off. The only thing I see happening is him squinting his eyes throughout the episode, for goodness' sake, he looks like an insomniac bat!! (No offense to Kushal or bats for that matter). Everything about the last two episodes is perfect except Kushal's acting. The script is perfect, he does have that strain in his voice but his face is just too repetitive and almost annoying in these episodes.
As soon as the emotional part was over and Arjun was joking with Maya, I was convinced once again that Kushal is doing a great job. I do feel he's the perfect actor for this role, he should just work a bit harder for scenes that are meant to be touching and keep in mind who is co-workers are since Jenny is fantabulous and Aneri has been stepping up her game too.
Edited by dhrishti_ - 7 years ago
I agree that emotional scenes are certainly not his best skill... but at the same time maybe Arjun is not supposed to be a serious and intellectual character. I hope in the upcoming episodes we can see more of him because as I have said earlier the audience knows what Maya wants and what saanjh wants, even what vandana wants because we see scenes in which we notice their true feelings. But we haven't had any of those scenes with Arjun, where he is expressing himself thoroughly... I want to see Arjun's POV as well...
in the last 2-3 episodes I was glad that we finally saw some chemistry building up between Maya and Arjun because before I had felt there was no spark... but thankfully I'm seeing that spark from the last couple of episodes maybe also because now it's supposed to be two sided and not one sided like it was before
Other than that I also want Kushal to step up his acting skills because he is portraying a lead against two very strong female actors. He is almost overshadowed by their brilliance
I would've loved if Arjun Sharma was played by Karan Wahi ;) he would've been one of the best options I believe :D but I'm not saying Kushal is bad lol in fact I'm liking Maya and Arjun's chemistry from the last couple of episodes... I'm just saying he should improve himselfEdited by ishakumar - 7 years ago
Yes you are right that jennifer is in the Industry for long time and practice makes everyone Perfect... But if you are a really good actor you can prove that with in small period of time also... Abhisekh bachhan is in the Industry for almost 20 years now but his acting skill is still not improving..he is just one example of so many other actors which have been there in the Industry for long time but their acting remains the same where as there are actors which proved themsleves in a very quick time
I watch beyadh mainly coz of the actress playing maya and the story is different and refreshing ...

I dun have any problem with the actor playing arjun ... but he's eyes can't emote ... he's just there according to the script that's it ...

Mayb there could be many other actors that can play this character and nail it but Makers thinks vice verse ... 😊
Originally posted by ishakumar

I agree that emotional scenes are certainly not his best skill... but at the same time maybe Arjun is not supposed to be a serious and intellectual character. I hope in the upcoming episodes we can see more of him because as I have said earlier the audience knows what Maya wants and what saanjh wants, even what vandana wants because we see scenes in which we notice their true feelings. But we haven't had any of those scenes with Arjun, where he is expressing himself thoroughly... I want to see Arjun's POV as well...
in the last 2-3 episodes I was glad that we finally saw some chemistry building up between Maya and Arjun because before I had felt there was no spark... but thankfully I'm seeing that spark from the last couple of episodes maybe also because now it's supposed to be two sided and not one sided like it was before
Other than that I also want Kushal to step up his acting skills because he is portraying a lead against two very strong female actors. He is almost overshadowed by their brilliance
I would've loved if Arjun Sharma was played by Karan Wahi ;) he would've been one of the best options I believe :D but I'm not saying Kushal is bad lol in fact I'm liking Maya and Arjun's chemistry from the last couple of episodes... I'm just saying he should improve himself

Omg karwan wahi would have been the best or harhsad chopra :) but kushal is improving so hope for the best.
Its been said nd done...Khushal failed big tym...Backbone for Beyhadh is Jeeny nd is strongly supported by Aneri nd rest of d cast...even Sumit Bharadhwaj(Ayaan) is dng great!!!
i liked his emotional scene, it showed that he put effort in it
im sure he will improve 
I believe that Kushal Tandon is actually a very good choice for playing Arjun. The kind of man Arjun is supposed to be - he actually was not supposed to show any kind of interest in that terrace scene even if he was having genuine interest. Many north Indian boys are brought up that way - to not show too many emotions of empathy when in distress (especially to females) unless in front of your mother. Aggression is an ideal way of relieving any negative feeling according to some cultures for men. We can see that in the scene where Arjun physically assaulted Ashwin, implying that he took deep interest in what Maya was telling him on the terrace and was baffled by Ashwin's acts.
Edited by iMini - 7 years ago
Jennifer and Aneri are honestly the only good things about Beyhadh now. Everyone else is just riding off on the media frenzy of the show.  It feels as if the show is overrated at times.  The urban setting is new and nice, but it seems more like a reflection of some American shows (this just shows how colonized our minds continue to be 🤢).  It wasn't until recently I realized that this show and its actors receive much more media attention than deserving.  Every little thing is covered and made to sound like a big deal.  For example the recent post by Aneri.  The individual who made an honest remark about the character and her natural emotional progression was being interpreted as backlash ðŸ˜• I've read and seen actual unnecessary backlash and hate directed towards Aneri, but what india-forums reported on was a simple comment that in no way should be interpreted in a malice manner.  The entire coverage reception around Beyhadh is very confusing.  Yes, it is a new kind of show within the Indian TV industry, but not the best, and I am not in any way basing this off of trps (I hate trps).  

Kushal, on the other hand... I don't understand how he stands out as an actor.  He is a good choice to play Arjun, but when comparing him to other actors on TV now, he doesn't stand out, it is the entire product that does, that too because of the exceptional marketing done by the PH/Channel.

I sincerely apologize to anyone I may have unintentionally hurt by posting this comment, but I felt it necessary to do so.  ðŸ¥º
Edited by luxmi_1029 - 7 years ago
Yes Kushal has to improve his acting skills. He has looks but thats not enough especially for a show like behyhadh that has lots of substance and thrill.
And acting should not be difficult still for him as it is not his first show. He had dome full fledged role as parallel lead, not some small cameo role in his first show. He should have learnt and improved by now. But alas can't help. We need to go ahead.