Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MNMS thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

I was reading about "Tara Lipinski" in encyclopaedia Britannica … She was just 15 when she won her gold medal at Olympics [Ice skating]  and thus broke a 60 year old record!

Such Child performers [Be it acting, dancing, sports] can reach the level of extreme success OR can even move in depression, go off the rails, drugs etc.. if they couldn't reach the top

Obviously, focusing on their goal leads to little formal education time which is made compulsory for our children.  Plus children are not so capable of taking heavy decisions which may lead to exploitation at work. Along with this, stage fright and pressure of performance is difficult to handle even by adults … these kids have to do all this at a tender age.  The high probability to go off the rails … Those young bodies prone to serious injuries …

My question: Should children be allowed to work in the performing arts or professional sports? Is this not "Child Labour"???

Ur comments.

sareg thumbnail
Where will we be without Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhonsale, Sunidhi Chavan today?
Pradarshak thumbnail
To me, except for movies where there is a demand for child character, a child should not be exposed to the glamour industry. If a child is talented, he/she can nurute that talent, get polished, until the right age comes. Taking about India(becoz Hollywood child artists have a very bad record), things are lot more different these days with cable and internet.

Take for instance the TV show SRGMP, before the program was of a very high quality, it was a so very musical environment. Now more than music it's about TRPs, fun, glamour, controversies. I felt very bad seeing 11-12 year old girls singing "Beedi jalaile", and people dancing and clapping. I am sure such things attract lot many young hearts. Har koi to talented nahin hota, par unko role-model banake they try to ape the same lifestyle.

Javedsaab said very well "Aajkal raftar bahut hai, woh thaheraw nahin hai ke aadmi gaherayi mein jakey cheez ko parakh sakey". If life runs so fast for them, everything will end so soon. Children should enjoy their childhood.
vazz thumbnail
Is there not a difference between "performing arts", "sports" and child labour??

Sports, Literature, arts - the ability of a person to shine in them in God Gift, not every child is born to perform in these areas. If we do not encourage them at a younger age, how can they practice their art and mature in their perfomances?
All the artists etc that the above folks have stated, have been practcising day in and day out. It could be for the sake of the art, for the money, it does not matter. The fact that they are able to promote art, sports in some form is enough. Its for the basic foundation of values to guide them.

Child Labour is sending the child to the grind every day, with no benefit to the child, but in the sports and arts field, the child is getting benefitted and if that is the case, what more do we want?
Pradarshak thumbnail
Wiase dekha jaye to percentage of successful people who started their career at a later stage is more than who started their career as a child.

Never said that parents should not encourage a talented kid, but exposing them to the world on a large scale at an early age to me might not be good. However talented one may be, one thing we know that practice brings the perfection. For that practice one needs to devote time.
vazz thumbnail

Originally posted by: Pradarshak

Never said that parents should not encourage a talented kid, but exposing them to the world on a large scale at an early age to me might not be good.

Pradarshak,
I had not read your post when I put forth my views...I agree, a child needs guidance and right amount of exposure.  Years ago when I had Zee at home, I watched a few episodes of Boogie Woogie kids and that just repulsed me.  That is NOT the kind of exposure I would give my kid. 

Its the parents who need to keep the child and themselves in check, so later on, they can shine well.

Pradarshak thumbnail
Originally posted by: vazz

Pradarshak,
I had not read your post when I put forth my views...I agree, a child needs guidance and right amount of exposure.  Years ago when I had Zee at home, I watched a few episodes of Boogie Woogie kids and that just repulsed me.  That is NOT the kind of exposure I would give my kid. 

Its the parents who need to keep the child and themselves in check, so later on, they can shine well.

Agree 100%.

mermaid_QT thumbnail

To me, except for movies where there is a demand for child character, a child should not be exposed to the glamour industry. If a child is talented, he/she can nurute that talent, get polished, until the right age comes. Taking about India(becoz Hollywood child artists have a very bad record), things are lot more different these days with cable and internet.

Take for instance the TV show SRGMP, before the program was of a very high quality, it was a so very musical environment. Now more than music it's about TRPs, fun, glamour, controversies. I felt very bad seeing 11-12 year old girls singing "Beedi jalaile",   (also watch them do the sexy dance numbers in provocative outfits at the same tender age on Boogie Woogie, and learn to be loud mouth in the name of stage-presence)  and people dancing and clapping. I am sure such things attract lot many young hearts. Har koi to talented nahin hota, par unko role-model banake they try to ape the same lifestyle.

Javedsaab said very well "Aajkal raftar bahut hai, woh thaheraw nahin hai ke aadmi gaherayi mein jakey cheez ko parakh sakey". If life runs so fast for them, everything will end so soon. Children should enjoy their childhood.

👏  You said it for me pardarshakji!
Talent must be appreciated even at YOUNG AGE, but it has to be CHANNELIZED properly.   If it snatches their innocense, it is wrong.  Precocious puberty can be disastrous.

mqt
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
Pradarshak thumbnail

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

👏  You said it for me pardarshakji!
Talent must be appreciated even at YOUNG AGE, but it has to be CHANNELIZED properly.   If it snatches their innocense, it is wrong.  Precocious puberty can be disastrous.

mqt

Have you guys noticed HANNAH DAKOTA FANNING(I am Sam,War of the world, Man in Fire, Cat in the Hat, Cherlotte's web), I am her fan. She is supposed to be the next big thing in Hollywood. But the girl really keeps a very low profile, dresses up like a child should. She really makes me go "ga-ga", must say is a good role-model for many.

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Have you guys noticed HANNAH DAKOTA FANNING(I am Sam,War of the world, Man in Fire, Cat in the Hat, Cherlotte's web), I am her fan. She is supposed to be the next big thing in Hollywood. But the girl really keeps a very low profile, dresses up like a child should. She really makes me go "ga-ga", must say is a good role-model for many.

I was thinking of her too! She is a brilliant child-actor.   I definitely admire her agent and her parents.  she was only 7 when she did "I am Sam" . What a suitable script and story and she justified the role.