Harry Potter and the Cursed Child- Review!

Posted: 7 years ago
Hey bookaholics!
So here is a WARNING!!:-

If you have NOT read the book/play yet, DO NOT go ahead...as I HATE giving spoilers!

Okay, so now I shall begin with my rant of today! First of all, did you people feel that you are reading a book of The Harry Potter series? I am sorry but I couldn't. Everything felt so different, except The Hogwarts Express. They weren't the Ron and Hermione of the Harry Potter series, they looked or appeared more like two love-lorn teenagers. Especially Hermione. She didn't seem like that girl I have loved and always related with. Ron, well he has been that guy, yet I just couldn't find that old Ron in him. And this made me so unhappy.

Coming to Albus, I found him annoying quite a lot of times. His behaviour was so awkward at times. Especially the way he behaved with Harry. I understand the reason, yet his crappy behaviour. It used to annoy me, and in the entire book I found it really difficult to connect with him. Maybe because I love my dad like anything!!

Scorpius, well he was too good to be Draco's son actually :D I mean, he is really sweet and sensible..quite like Hermione except some outspoken qualities which she had. And he has been shown pretty relatable. The pain of loosing his mother and being called Voldy's son. His childhood has been in pain always and that is why he is like that, but Albus would crib about everything!!

3 years pass away in 25-30 pages!! This was the biggest fault of the book. I know it is a play and I couldn't have expected anything better (or maybe I could), but the start was boring, and I could not feel gripped to the story and the plotline that Harry Potter books used to.

I so miss Rowling's wicked sense of dark humour in the play. In the novels, I used love the places where she would make the situation humorous, but in the play, I missed it. And also, the rapid turn of events..everything happened in a flick. As in, the end of the story, the blanket thing, it was so fast!! Again the play genre comes in, but it was disappointing.

The predictability of the story was also a weak point. The moment Delphi and Albus met, I knew she was evil. And it was easy enough to guess that Delphi is Voldy's daughter, since Scorpius wasn't. I mean I was able to guess before her real intentions were revealed, and many people were. Rarely have HP books been predictable!!
Sorcerer's stone- We thought it was Snape and it came out to be Quirrel.
Chamber of Secrets- We never dreamt of a horcrux in diary of Ginny
Prisoner of Azkaban- Who knew that Peter would be alive and Sirius is just ammazing?
Goblet of Fire- Who thought it would be Barty Crouch Jr. and Cedric would die?
Order of the Phoenix- That superb ending!! Whooshh..those last 100 pages..loved them!!
Half Blood Prince- Dumbledore being killed by Snape. Who thought that?
Deathly Hallows- This book itself is an amaze, and everything just reveals here..so no words!!

But Cursed Child somewhere lost that essence to grip the readers, with a boring start and nothing interesting...just Time Turner, Ron Hermione romance and Albus Harry spats!! The end was nice I agree, but Harry Potter books usually have spectacular endings, this was not up to the mark, for me!!

The only thing which remained the same was, Hogwarts Express and Platform 9 3/4. And then Snape and Harry and McGonagall. Thats it!! Otherwise, I thought I am reading a diff book altogether!!

These are my views, do share yours as well!:)

Edited by MusicAddict - 7 years ago
i had made my view clear earlier cant waste my time on it i love Harry Potter and the 7 books but this a big no 
Originally posted by SwathyS

i had made my view clear earlier cant waste my time on it i love Harry Potter and the 7 books but this a big no 

Hey Swatz!!
I know, this feels like a big no!!

Hey Sakshi, I haven't read the book yet but there's a feeling whether I should read or not. What I'm happy for is after so many years, a Harry Potter book has come. Many do ask me whether I read it or not. But then I realize when reading, it won't be the same like how the other books were. I won't get the old vibes and many of my favoutite characters are missing. :(
I wanted more of the golden trio and I guess the story revolves around Albus Severus, right? His character is not that appealing to me. It isn't much detailed also. I mean everything's in a book? 
Thanks for the review, Sakshi :D if any of my friend gets it then I'll read defo. 

Originally posted by lilInfinities.

Hey Sakshi, I haven't read the book yet but there's a feeling whether I should read or not. What I'm happy for is after so many years, a Harry Potter book has come. Many do ask me whether I read it or not. But then I realize when reading, it won't be the same like how the other books were. I won't get the old vibes and many of my favoutite characters are missing. :(
I wanted more of the golden trio and I guess the story revolves around Albus Severus, right? His character is not that appealing to me. It isn't much detailed also. I mean everything's in a book? 
Thanks for the review, Sakshi :D if any of my friend gets it then I'll read defo. 

Hey Noura!
The old vibes are not there. Ron and Hermione are so different, esp. Hermione. Yes, the story is all around Albus Severus and Scorpius and Time Turner. Harry has a significant role of course, and Albus is often annoying if you read the play. And because it is a play, the end climax or other incidents didn't have that base. It was too quick, too sudden. Maybe, the novel will be good, but I was dissatisfied with the play at least!!
I know, I was sooo excited to get a Harry Potter book after years, but maybe my excitement was too much for the book to satisfy!!
No probs dear, do read if you want!:))
what i can see in albus is a spoiled bart and nothing else the whole story is about his stupidity if you ask me

what i can see in albus is a spoiled bart and nothing else the whole story is about his stupidity if you ask me

Ikr!!
He was a brat...and annoying at many times!!
i didnt feel even a bit of love to any of the kinds be it harry ginny clan or ron hermiones clan

i didnt feel even a bit of love to any of the kinds be it harry ginny clan or ron hermiones clan

Hi5!!
Harry Ron and Hermione, our Trio were different, and just amazinggg!! But these two! Nopes, not at all!
And the storyline is so predictable time turner will ruin the timeline and in somepoint harry or anyone of them was to be not be alive or something