Krishna Ki Jeevan Sangini - Ashtabharya

Posted: 7 years ago

Krishna Ki Jeevan Sangini
t h e   a s h t a b h a r y a

Lord Krishna had 8 principle wives known as the Ashtabharya, as stated in the Bhagavata Purana. Each of these wives is believed to be an earthly manifestation of Mahalakshmi.

1. Rukmini - Rukmini was Lord Krishna's first wife, and widely believed to be a form of Shridevi, one of the aspects of Mahalakshmi. She was the daughter of King Bhishmaka, the king of Vidharba, and betrothed to Sishupala against her will. Krishna kidnapped her as per her wishes and married her in Dwaraka.

2. Jambavati - Jambavati was the daughter of Jambavanta, who had kept the syamantaka jewel captive. Krishna fought him for a month and defeated him. Then Jambavanta recognized Krishna as a form of Lord Vishnu and requested the Lord to marry his daughter Jambavati. 

3. Satyabhama - Satyabhama is believed to be an incarnation of Mother Earth or Bhudevi, another aspect of Maha Lakshmi. Krishna had rescued the jewel syamantaka from Jambavanta and brought it to King Satrajit. Satrijit was impressed with Krishna's power and offered his daughter Satyabhama's hand in marriage. 

4. Kalindi - Kalindi was the Goddess of the river Yamuna and the daughter of Suryadeva. When Krishna and Arjuna had met her on the banks of river Yamuna, she expressed her lifelong desire to get married to Lord Krishna, and the Lord agreed to fulfill her desire.

5. Mitravinda - She was the cousin of Lord Krishna, who would actually have married Kaurava prince Duryodhana. Balarama knew that Mitravinda secretly loved Lord Krishna and so he advised Lord Krishna to abduct and marry her.

6. Nagnajiti - Nagnajiti was the daughter of king Nagnajita of Kosala, who also became the wife of Lord Krishna. In order to become the rightful husband of Nagnajiti, one had to tame the seven bulls of Nagnajita. Although many had failed to do so, Krishna did the task easily and was given Nagnajiti's hand in marriage.

7. Bhadra - Bhadra is the seventh wife of Lord Krishna, who was daughter of King Dhrishtaketu and his wife Shrutakirti. Her five brothers including Santardana had married Bhadra off to Lord Krishna.

8. Lakshmana - Lakshmana was the daughter of the king of Madra, who had held a swayamvar in order to find a suitable partner for Lakshmana. Duryodhana and Jarasandha were also present at the swayamvar but they all lost to Krishna's skill.

Rules

The rules of this thread are simple. It's a discussion thread to exchange information/knowledge about the ashtabharya from various sources, and what each of them means to you.

No bashing will be tolerated. Do not use disrespectful language towards any of the ashtabharya or Krishna. Having favorites is fine, but bashing another is not fine.

That's basically it, so have fun and enjoy the thread Krishna bhakton!

Edited by ..RamKiJanaki.. - 6 years ago

By Aishu

By RamKiJanaki

Different Middle Text:  https://img2.picload.org/image/rrogdcoc/b1.gif

Edited by ..RamKiJanaki.. - 7 years ago
By Manali

By LakshMila

Edited by ..RamKiJanaki.. - 7 years ago
                                                               OS CORNER
This post is exclusively for the OS' written on the Bharya by anyone. If you want yours added, please PM me the link. Any future writings on Krishna and the Bharya will also be added to this post. It can also be about the Bharya alone, or any one of them. It could be about the Bharya's relationships other than Krishna, say for example, Arjun-Satyabhama. They are sakhi-sakha. OS' on them and like them are also welcome :)

KRISHNA-RUKMINI
The Homecoming by Radhikerani
Rejuvenated by KrishnaPriyaa

KRISHNA-JAMBAVATI
My Love by ramya06 and Andromeda

KRISHNA-SATYABHAMA
Krishna-Satyabhama drabbles by KrishnaPriyaa
The Milan by KrishnaPriyaa
Satyabhama's Plea by KrishnaPriyaa

MISCELLANEOUS (INC. OTHER MB CHARACTERS)
Atkheliyaan by Artist_Forever and KrishnaPriyaa

CROSSOVERS
Dwaraka Memories by Aryavrat Ki Sena

P.S. As more OS/TS/SS/FF come, they will be added to this list :) Please do let me know if I have missed something :)

Edited by KrishnaPriyaa - 7 years ago
                                                        OS INDEX
This post is for the OS' we write in this thread. 

1. Sister of my Heart- RamKiJanaki- Pg 10
Edited by KrishnaPriyaa - 7 years ago
Awesome Awesome thread!πŸ‘πŸ‘
@Janaki Didi
Cant take my eyes off your and Srutha's signature box, the theme, the style of signature, everything is So Classy and professional, you two are Goddesses, for thinking such an awesome out of the box idea,and including us in that, please post your creations of Krishna Bhama here😳😳
Can creations of Ashtabharyas b also  posted in this thread?? Actually my cousin Namrata Wants to join,she is much active on twitter, but she also love siggie editing,she asked me to ask u guys abt this
Originally posted by RadhikaBr.

Can creations of Ashtabharyas b also  posted in this thread?? Actually my cousin Namrata Wants to join,she is much active on twitter, but she also love siggie editing,she asked me to ask u guys abt this
They definitely can :)
This thread is for everything about the Ashtabharya :)
Much needed thread 
Thanks to janki di and srutha di for opening the same 
You have indeed planned a very good piece of work. Your knowledge about the ancient texts is also highly appreciable. My best wishes for you.