Solhah Singaarr

Mrinal Kulkarni in Ramu's Sholay - Artica

Amna@20 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Mrinal Kulkarni in Ramu's Sholay
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   November 20, 2006

Mrinal Kulkarni, who is seen as Alaknanda in the SaharaOne soap, Solhah Singaarr, took a few days off last week from her television schedule to shoot for Ram Gopal Varma's Sholay. The actress does not want to divulge the character she essays in the remake, but says, "It is a small role which was not there in the original."

In awe
Incidentally, Varma had offered Mrinal a role in his earlier film, Sarkar, but at that time things did not work out due to date problems. "When Ramu offered me this role in Sholay, he was hesitant as it was small. But as all the scenes were with Amitabh Bachchan, I thought this was a lifetime opportunity and I agreed," says Mrinal, who is also sharing scenes with Mohanlal and Sachin Pilgaonkar.

"I have shot for some mesmerising scenes. When I was ready for the shot, Mr Bachchan asked Ramu, 'Is this beautiful lady part of the scene too?' I would like to assume he knew who I was even before we were introduced," she laughs.

Besides Sholay, Mrinal's recent big screen assignments include Gajendra Ahire's Marathi film Bayo and Amol Palekar's bilingual Quest.

After her five-year association with the Star Plus show Son Pari came to an end, Mrinal took on Solhah Singaarr in which she features as a young widow. "It doesn't have the usual mother-daughter track. Alaknanda is a parallel role and is a meaty role. She has just lost her husband; she is still young and there is a big surprise in store for her," reveals Mrinal.

She informs that there are plans to bring back Son Pari on the tube. "There has been a great response from the kids and talks are on for its return."
Mrinal also co-anchors an international travel show along with Milind Gunaji for ETV. "I have travelled to Nepal and Sri Lanka and next we will be off to Egypt. This show is exciting and really off-the-beaten-track; there is so much novelty in doing a travel-based show."

Write stuff
Little is known on Mrinal's personal front as she prefers to let her work do the talking. "I am not into the party circuit at all," she says. "My family and in-laws are based in Pune. So when I am not shooting, I am in Pune. My husband, Ruchir Kulkarni, is a lawyer," she says. Mrinal has a school-going son, Virajas.

Besides acting, Mrinal pursues her literary calling through columns in Marathi newspapers like Lokmat and Sakal. "It is my take on what I see and experience as an actress and a human being."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Kiran. thumbnail

Woww..That is a gr88 news๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜›

~Ange.Noir~ thumbnail
Oh wow!