Book Talk

The Fault In Our Stars

Mallika-E-Zain thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
Finally I got the opportunity to read this book, and since I am not much into Love stories honestly, I read this on insistence and peer pressure😆😆
Now I would like to ask all my fellow book-a-holics?
Guys, how many of you feel that this book is a bit over-rated? I honestly feel that ways, and would just like to ask the views of other people as well!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Starwalkers thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Once upon a time I happened to love the book, but not anymore, and it's entirely my fault.

Even though Hazel and Gus don't remind you much of teenagers living in 21st century, I like them. Yes I like them. But I felt that somewhere, the characters were a bit flat. Just because you're dying doesn't mean you'll accumulate wisdom beyond your age, and at most times I felt every character sounded the same. 
Sometimes I feel like Green is a wonderful writer, but sometimes I feel he's boring. I feel he is a manipulator. I don't remember the exact quote but Hazel says something like if I die will my mom still be a mom? Dying kids don't say that? How do I know? Well I haven't died but I've been with people who died. Green was trying to write a book that'll make us cry buckets, you know tear our hearts apart. Did he succeed? Maybe. 

It's just that I can't feel the same stuff I felt when I first read the book.

Mallika-E-Zain thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Starkheart.

Once upon a time I happened to love the book, but not anymore, and it's entirely my fault.

Even though Hazel and Gus don't remind you much of teenagers living in 21st century, I like them. Yes I like them. But I felt that somewhere, the characters were a bit flat. Just because you're dying doesn't mean you'll accumulate wisdom beyond your age, and at most times I felt every character sounded the same. 
Sometimes I feel like Green is a wonderful writer, but sometimes I feel he's boring. I feel he is a manipulator. I don't remember the exact quote but Hazel says something like if I die will my mom still be a mom? Dying kids don't say that? How do I know? Well I haven't died but I've been with people who died. Green was trying to write a book that'll make us cry buckets, you know tear our hearts apart. Did he succeed? Maybe. 

It's just that I can't feel the same stuff I felt when I first read the book.

Heyy!! The book is nice, but I just found it over-rated. I am not much of a love story person, and very rare love stories grip me. And when I read this all, I just felt that ways! Yeah I guess he tried that, but I couldn't bring myself to cry. I mean, I actually cried when Dobby had died in Harry Potter, but I didn't when Gus died, I just dunno why!! Sometimes boring yeah...!
Thanks for sharing your views!
pink_kitten thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
It was a very nice book/movie actually but definitely not the best thing since sliced bread. It had some unique parts but not the best unique thing I've seen. It is really overrated...
I think it was extremely emotionally manipulative. Too hard hitting. Almost like a mental torture. 
Edited by -cuteee.tigress - 7 years ago
Mallika-E-Zain thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: -cuteee.tigress

It was a very nice book/movie actually but definitely not the best thing since sliced bread. It had some unique parts but not the best unique thing I've seen. It is really overrated...

I think it was extremely emotionally manipulative. Too hard hitting. Almost like a mental torture. 

Yeah!! It is a nice book, (haven't watched the movie) but not as superbly awesome, as it is said. It some amazing quotes, and other things...but not something like too too too good, as I've heard most call it. And hence I found it over-rated. Or maybe, love stories aren't my type!
slippedaffairs thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
I don't find TFIOS as my best read now but yes one of my favorite. Back to some years before I really liked it and cried buckets but the sense what Hazel had was not for the people of today's. There is no guy like Gus, well that is what people love him and even I but realastic? No it isn't. 
Green no more takes me to another world, well after paper towns to be precise.
iPriyalicious thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Hi dear I think we know each other ❤️

Well I've always thought that all John Green's books are extremely simple stories but written in a very beautiful and appealing way. And for me this is the case of TFIOS too. I found the story really simple but I just loved the way the entire book was written. Some phrases absolutely amazed me and at the same time there was a good psychological introspection in the characters which I always appreciate.
Moreover it got such a hugely warm response, I think its being overrated is due to the enormous sale of the book.
slippedaffairs thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: iPriyalicious

Hi dear I think we know each other ❤️

Well I've always thought that all John Green's books are extremely simple stories but written in a very beautiful and appealing way. And for me this is the case of TFIOS too. I found the story really simple but I just loved the way the entire book was written. Some phrases absolutely amazed me and at the same time there was a good psychological introspection in the characters which I always appreciate.
Moreover it got such a hugely warm response, I think its being overrated is due to the enormous sale of the book.

I donow, Maybe! :) if you are saying that to me.
Yes they are simple and good but he did in paper towns, was a cheap trick to attract reders, all we got at the end was a Heartbreak.
Starwalkers thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: -Wandstruck.

Yes they are simple and good but he did in paper towns, was a cheap trick to attract reders, all we got at the end was a Heartbreak.

Couldn't agree more.

I feel like most his books are same at the basic level.
Edited by Starkheart. - 7 years ago
iPriyalicious thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: -Wandstruck.

Awee. I haven't read paper towns but I watched the movie. Yeah it's a bit disappointing but I believe he just wanted to give us something else a part from the usual happy ending.
I just read Lookin for Alaska and TFIOS and for both I found the story simple but well written.
But I do agree in saying that his books are defo not the best!