Eve-teasing: college prop to ban girls

Posted: 17 years ago

Eve-teasing: Bhopal college proposes to ban girls

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Source: NDTV

Blog this story

Bhopal: A college in Bhopal has come up with a unique solution to eve-teasing.

The authorities of the Hamidia Collge want all the girls to leave the college, so the male students wont be 'distracted' any more.

The 13 member People's Committee of the College - one of the oldest co-education colleges in Bhopal - has decided to recommend to the state government that the college be made boys-only as the college girls were being harassed by boys from the Muslim-dominated locality.

"The environment is not conducive for girls. They face a lot of trouble studying with the boys. That's why we think the girls should study in a girls' college," said Vichitra Kumar Sen, President, Hamidia College, Bhopal.

Govt appointed committee :

The People's Committee was appointed by the state government to help administrate the college. Most committee members belong to the BJP.

Last year, the committee recommended that the 50-year-old all-girls Maharani Luxmi Bayee College be relocated as the girls were being eve-teased and forcibly converted.

Hamidia College in new Bhopal then switched campuses with Maharni Luxmi Bayee College in Old Bhopal.

But Hamidia students had barely settled down in their new campus when trouble arose. The students, however, deny there's any harassment taking place.

"Till date, no girl has filed a complaint either with the police or with college authorities, saying they have been harassed," said Samad Huzoor, President, Student Union, Hamidia College.

Of the nearly 4,000 students in Hamidia, about 1,500 are girls and half of whom are from Muslim families in the area.

"Girls are studying now because the college is close by. If there is any change, they could perhaps stop their education," claims Riffat, student.

"Students from a girl's college face problems on their way to college. If that is the only reason for changing, then girls should stop studying," said Kehkashan,BA student.

http://content.msn.co.in/News/National/NationalNDTV_161106_1 222.htm

Love to hear the views of all the friends of IF!!!

Its really a good idea for those people who thought of this ban idea!!May be they thought:
Why should girls study in such environment??
Most of the girls studying in coeducation colleges are not at all career minded.They just deck themselves and come to college to pass the time or kill the time before marriage.
Girls don't need much education.Its enough they have basic eduaction for wrting letters(oh!!! to write emails),learn cooking excellently to make some food(preferably in micro wave ovens)!!!!

Cheers,

Mythili

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 17 years ago

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Its really a good idea for those people who thought of this ban idea!!

"The environment is not conducive for girls. They face a lot of trouble studying with the boys. That's why we think the girls should study in a girls' college," said Vichitra Kumar Sen, President, Hamidia College, Bhopal.

Most of the girls studying in coeducation colleges are not at all career minded.They just deck themselves and come to college to pass the time or kill the time before marriage.

This is a dicey topic, in hope of not sounding sexist, I agree with you

Something I hope has changed in the last 15 years

My school class size 55

35 boys + 20 girls

18 of the top 25 in academic ranking were girls

3 are in career

(we have frequent get togethers so I know)

The engineering class statistics are almost identical, except for computer engineering and electronics engineering classes

let the dhulayee begin, BTW I prefer to get dhulawified using "RIN" sabun, and you did say "FRIENDS๐Ÿ˜‰"

Edited by sareg - 17 years ago
Originally posted by sareg

This is a dicey topic, in hope of not sounding sexist, I agree with you

Something I hope has changed in the last 15 years

My school class size 55

35 boys + 20 girls

18 of the top 25 in academic ranking were girls

3 are in career

(we have frequent get togethers so I know)

The engineering class statistics are almost identical, except for computer engineering and electronics engineering classes

let the dhulayee begin, BTW I prefer to get dhulawified using "RIN" sabun, and you did say "FRIENDS๐Ÿ˜‰"

First of all let me tell you that I got irritated seeing the news article regarding this  idea of ban of girls in colleges.I teach in a women's college me being a young girl(Just an exemption for me ,a small girl)!!!

I really wonder how people discriminate students on the basis of gender,its just foolishness!!! I really wonder how male students get distracted because of female students entirely(if at all they are serious about their studies,female students is not a issue)

I beleive female students are more organised,intelligent,more punctual than male students!!!(But some times I feel boys are boys they don't work hard but they perform well๐Ÿ˜†)

Cheers,

Mythili

My Jhansi ki Rani is enough!!! BTW Gandhi Debate is going on and we invited Gandhiji here and his Mahan atma will get pained seeing this ahimsa!!!

Cheers,

Mythili

Eve-teasing: Bhopal college proposes to ban girls

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Source: NDTV

Blog this story

Bhopal: A college in Bhopal has come up with a unique solution to eve-teasing.

The authorities of the Hamidia Collge want all the girls to leave the college, so the male students wont be 'distracted' any more.

So what happens when these male students get "distracted" by female members in their own house- Move out or throw out their sisters or bhabhis...๐Ÿ˜•

Originally posted by lighthouse

So what happens when these male students get "distracted" by female members in their own house- Move out or throw out their sisters or bhabhis...๐Ÿ˜•

Throw out the mothers first. That will end all the problems

Love to hear the views of all the friends of IF!!!

Its really a good idea for those people who thought of this ban idea!!May be they thought:
Why should girls study in such environment??
Girls don't need much education.Its enough they have basic eduaction for wrting letters(oh!!! to write emails),learn cooking excellently to make some food(preferably in micro wave ovens)!!!!

Cheers,

Mythili

OMG Mythili !!! You are a riot !!!!!๐Ÿ˜†

Sach hai, waise bhi padh likh kar kya hoga......and who knows, God Forbid if any of them turns out to be Madam Curie reincarnation, the bechara boys' inferiority complex will know no bounds !!!!!!๐Ÿ˜†

Originally posted by abhijit shukla

So how are they going to deal with drunk driving? Banning sober people from driving?

๐Ÿ˜†

And when these men finally finish their education, are they going to build a wall around them and sit???THEY BETTER...๐Ÿ˜ก
Edited by raksha.l - 17 years ago
Ugh? I bet that comittee was 100% male, thats why they came up with this S๐Ÿคฌ solution.

And for the lady who said that 18 of 25 were toppers and only 3 work. Maybe we should realize that in our society it is tough for women to have a caqreer. She is not only expected to wrk but also be the perfect houswife and mother and sometimes its just easier to give in and be a homeomaker than to handle the tanas and the double entandres thrown at you

Originally posted by abhijit shukla

So how are they going to deal with drunk driving? Banning sober people from driving?

lol good one abhijeet ๐Ÿ˜†

i think these ppl are looking at the whole issue from the wrong side, for them its so easy to just make it an all boy's college, becuz the girls are there to distract the boys apparently, as if they have nothing better to do in their lives. But i think a more healthier approach to this issue would have been to change the way boys think abt girls, or view girls, that girls are not their just as objects of their pleasure. A counselling team, maybe a few seminars.... ohh i kno we all think that its basic male nature n wat not, but they have to treat the problem at its roots. the problem isn't that its a co ed college, the problem is in the way the guys r seeing the girls... and lets not forget that these eve  teasing guys will later go on out of college and into society... u cannot keep taking girls away from wherever the guys go in life