Story Of Madurai Meenakshi Amman

Posted: 7 years ago
Story Of Madurai Meenakshi Amman

Heyoo Folks!πŸ˜ƒ This is Lakshmi in association with our Srutha! We both are here to tell all of you'll the story of Madhurai's Meenakshi Amman or Meenakshi Ma as Shrutha calls her.⭐️ 
This is Srutha's idea altogether.I am just being a co-writer.😳  

Before we start with the story,Here is a short Introduction: 

Meenakshi Amman literally translates into 'The Goddess With Fish-Like Eyes." Known for her valour,her historic temple on the banks of River Vaigai is the crowing glory of the city of Madurai located in Tamil Nadu. It is dedicated to Parvati  known as Meenakshi, and her consort,Lord Shiva, here named Sundareshwarar. The temple forms the heart and lifeline of the 2,500-year-old city of Madurai and is a significant symbol for the Tamil people, mentioned since antiquity in Tamil literature. Unlike other temples,the Goddess Meenakshi is given more importance than Lord Sundareshwar.
The temple is believed to be founded by Indra.When he was on a pilgrimage to atone for his misdeeds,he felt the burden of his misdeeds lifting when he neared the 'Swayambhu' lingam and immediately constructed the temple to enshrine it. The city of Madurai,is laid out in concentric circles culminating from the temple.It is one of the few temples to have four entrances facing in four directions. The central shrine consists of the idols of the emerald-hued black stone idol of Meenakshi Amman and Lord Sundareshwar in a seperate shrine,with both the shrines having gold-plated towers.
The parrot in Meenakshi Ma's hands represents the South Indian saint 'Andal.'
The main festival celebrated here is the Meenakshi-Sundareshwar Thirukalyanam.

Here is a stanza from the Meenakshi Pancha Ratnam :

Udyath bhanu sahasra koti sadrusam, Keyura harojjwalam,
Bimboshtim smitha danthapankthi ruchiram, peetambaralankrutham,
Vishnu brahma surendra sevitha patham, Thathwa swaroopam shivam,
Meenakshmi pranathosmi santhathamaham, karunya vara nithim. 

I always bow before that Meenakshi, who is the treasure house of mercy,
Who shines like billions of rising suns,
Who wears a shining crown,
Who has reddish lips like the Bimba fruits,
Who has shining rows of sparkling teeth,
Who decorates herself with reddish silk,
Whose feet is worshipped by Vishnu, Brahma and Indra,
Who is the consort Of Lord Shiva,
And who is the personification of sacred truth.

Edited by EternalStars. - 7 years ago
ContentsEdited by KrishnaPriyaa - 7 years ago
Srutha and Lakshmi, thank you for bringing this story! I have always wanted to learn more about the Goddess, so this will be the medium. In honor of Meenakshi Amman, here is a Tamil poem's English translation that is about her as a child, washing the crockery and pots in her courtyard.

Shiva wanders through the courtyard of space
destroying your work again and again,
and then comes before you dancing.
You never get angry.
Every day, you just pick up the vessels.

The pots and crockery symbolize the three worlds. Shiva, as he is the Destroyer, repeatedly messes up the Universe, so Meenakshi Amman's job is to clean up everything, symbolized by the task of cleaning the utensils.

Thanks once again!

Mate, Malayadhwaja Pandya san jaathe,
Matanga Vadhana Guha

(Oh Mother! You became the daughter of the Pandya king Malayadhwaja, you who are the mother of the Gods Vinayaka and Guha)

Shatodari, Shankari, Chamundeshwari,
Chandrakaladhari, Dhaaye Gowri!

(Oh Mother of Myriad names, I bow down to you!)

This is just the first few verses of a varnam on Meenakshi Ma. Being a dancer, it felt apt to put this song here 😳
Edited by KrishnaPriyaa - 7 years ago
Meenakshi Me Mudam Dehi!
Very nice topic you have chosen, because the story of Meenakshi is one which unites both Vaishnavas and Shaivas together! (@Srutha Heavy Hinting over here).

Just a suggestion. Before beginning with the main story of how Meenakshi was incarnated from _________, could you devote a few chapters to backstory?
Originally posted by Surya_krsnbhakt

Meenakshi Me Mudam Dehi!
Very nice topic you have chosen, because the story of Meenakshi is one which unites both Vaishnavas and Shaivas together! (@Srutha Heavy Hinting over here).

Just a suggestion. Before beginning with the main story of how Meenakshi was incarnated from _________, could you devote a few chapters to backstory?

I know Surya. You and your crazy ideas πŸ˜‰

There will be backstory development. But all in the beginning, may be not πŸ˜†
This is a nice very effort! Can't wait to know more and more of South Indian mytho stories!
Lakshmidi, it was very sweetly written!
Mahadev and Mahadevi...and their story! Bring it on!

South Indian folklores and stories are mostly unknown in this belt, I am glad you people are narrating these!
Divine introduction Lakshmi
Thank you for writing her story😊
What a lovely idea, Lakshmi and Shruta! Not many people write on Mathura Meenakshi. In fact, I think you guys are the first! Mathura Meenakshi's history is beautiful, and I have visited her temple in Madurai. It's very divine and lovely. 

I would love to read your depiction of her. I know you guys will do her justice. πŸ˜³