Debate Mansion

Is grading system better than marks ?

CrazyKupKakes thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 7 years ago
What i feel is grading system is much better than marks because in marking system students run behind each and every mark and in this race they forget learning and they aim at only scoring. Grading system doesn't disappoint students that much . Whether a student gets 92 or 100 he/she will be rewarded with an A grade and hence students don't feel themselves less capable than the ones who scored better than them in a range.

But on the other hand if we look marking system is better. Students value their marks and work even harder . Infact those who score 100 aren't counted the same as others and those who score a little less than them are motivated to score even better ! 

Hence there is a lot of contradiction on this topic , that's why I found it quite interesting ðŸ˜ƒ
Do share your views on both sides !
Edited by CrazyKupKakes - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
grades is correct.. it accounts for ups and downs over a series of tests. Marks are too misleading!
Starwalkers thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
If you're a die hard nerd then marking is better than grading as you can't score above 95%.

If you are an average // above average// below average grading is the better option because even if you've just scored 91 %, you'll get an A grade and 10 CGPA.
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
It's all about precision, who is correcting the answer paper and who is using the grades/marks to do what.

Marks are supposed to be more precise but then why stop with whole numbers? Why can't we get into decimals? 98% is still less than 98.1%, isn't it?

Who is awarding the marks/grades and on what basis? For instance, in math, I could get the right answer but if I don't show the work, how much should be cut out of the max possible number for that question? Where is that defined? In science, if I don't get the definition right, but still express the idea in my own words, what should be my mark? If it is not defined, how does it matter whether it is a grade or a mark? is there a guarantee that the teacher is uniformly applying the same standard when awarding the grades/marks?

Letter grades like A+, A, A-, B+, B, B- etc can be precise too. We know what they denote. If someone is looking for a better precision then we are getting into the realm of hair splitting.

But where demand is high, admissions are tougher, because schools/colleges have to be more selective, in which case there is no other alternative to splitting hairs. It has to be done which means marks over letter grades.*

Letter grades can prove very disadvantageous too when computing the GPA. Whereas the difference between 89% and 90% is only 1%, the GPA difference between a B and a A (where a 89% translated into a B and a 90% translated into an A) could be substantial.

Both have their own merits and demerits I suppose. Tough to argue in favor of any one system.

*Editing to add that, most colleges as well as employers looking for freshmen/freshers don't make letter grades the be-all-end-all criterion for selection. Extracurricular activities like sports, leadership skills, participation in academic clubs, community service etc also carry a lot of weight. Which is why, a little difference in percentage points between two candidates shouldn't matter.

Edited by K.Universe. - 7 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
grades are not about precision.. its just measure of where you stand in your development path... teachers who display the ability to give marks like 80. 85. 90... demonstrate unusual discerning power, like that of x-men in this matter!!!! .. ðŸ˜†
-Loq- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

I have studied in the marking system and as well as grading.What I realized is either ways it's a measure of your caliber in academics. It still can give you sleepless nights.

Also there is this misconception among people that scoring grades is easier and so everybody wants an A. But scoring marks/grades/numbers -tough job all the time.

I sound irrelevant to the topic though? Maybe I will come back to this later again.

_shadesnature_ thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
if u look at the present (from the pov of student during a semester )grading system is better but for a longer prospective marks system is better 
ashlesha2 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
No grading  system  is not so appreciate. Because in grading system 10-20 students will be in a for example.then the child who scored 19 will not be well appreciated nor the 10th child will be backed up.
We need to know where exactly we stand. Then we can realise what is needed and how can it be fulfilled. 

It creates a suspense in our minds disturbing us.
Radhika13_ thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
In my personal opinion I feel Marking system is more better.I ave studied in both marking as well as grading system. Till we were given marks for our performance I had an idea where I stand and how hard I need to work. But in grading system a number of students are in the same category I was never able to find my position. 

Firebolt thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
Rather than what method you use... what you grade and how you award a question is more important. 

For example essay type questions should be cumulative assignments and not asked in 3 hour exams. Exams should focus on concepts and be multiple choice. 

Grading or marks comes only after we fix our education system. Either way it doesn't make a huge difference. 
Edited by Firebolt - 7 years ago