Suno Re Ram Kahani - An Uttar Kand OS

Posted: 7 years ago
Suno Re Ram Kahani
By Ram Ki Janaki

Rajmata Kaushalya looked around at her large family, finally together after 14 long, arduous years. She blinked back happy tears and wished in her heart that Maharaj Dashrath could have been there too. He would have been so happy to have his four sons together again.

As if reading her thoughts, Sumitra grasped Kaushalya's hand and squeezed it reassuringly. "He knows, didi. Our Lord is with us now, in the form of our four sons."

Kaushalya returned her smile. "Yes, you are right Sumitra. Now is not the time for tears. Happiness has finally returned to our lives after a long period of grief. I still cannot believe this is not a dream."

"Believe it, didi, because it's real and it's happening," Kaikeyi spoke up from Kaushalya's other side. "The nightmare which was caused by me has finally come to an end."

"Now you can stop feeling guilty all the time," Kaushalya told her with a smile. "Even Bharat has forgiven you. Everything is as it should be."

Maids were walking around the room distributing cool nimbu paani for everyone. The Rajyabhishek had been completed only hours before, and Maharaj Ram and Maharani Sita had finally returned from their rounds around the kingdom, meeting with the people and offering comfort where needed.

Kaushalya smiled at the sight of Ram and Sita sitting together on a divan in the center of the room. Their beloved devotee Hanuman was at their feet, pressing Ram's feet happily. Bharat sat in a chair next to Ram, while Lakshman sat next to Sita. Their respective wives sat next to them. Shatrughan on the other hand sat next to Kaushalya, his head in her lap. He had always been Kaushalya's favorite, the youngest of the brothers who constantly came to his Badi Ma for lullabies as a child. Shrutakirti sat next to Sumitra, shooting her husband an amused glance.

Their guests from Lanka and Kishkindha had departed only moments ago, with Hanuman remaining behind to serve Ram and Sita for a few months before resuming his post as Sugriva's minister.

"Well, why is everyone so quiet?" Urmila suddenly spoke up. She had always been impatient with silence, loving to chatter on with anyone who would listen. For 14 years, she had fulfilled her duties quietly, hiding the pain in her heart through silence. It gladdened Kaushalya's heart to see her younger daughter-in-law once more lively and playful.

"I think there is so much to be said, that they do not know where to begin," Mandavi giggled.

"What do you mean, Mandavi?" Sita asked her sister with a smile, "What is to be said?"

"Are you serious, didi?" Shrutakirti gasped, "You three have been gone for 14 years! Truly there is much to be said. Tell us your story."

"Our story?" Sita raised her eyebrows with amusement.

"Yes Bhabhi, tell us a story, your story." Shatrughan entreated. Even at this age, he loved to hear stories. "We want to hear everything that happened since you left Ayodhya 14 years ago."

"So much has happened, it is difficult to start at a particularly place," Sita murmured.

"You have suffered so much already, Bhabhi," Bharat spoke to his sister-in-law guiltily, "Do not feel pressured to relive those traumatic incidents if you do not wish to."

"It is all in the past now, Bharat Bhaiyya," Sita responded with a smile, "What happened, happened for a reason. It was predetermined that I should be abducted by Ravan in order to bring about his downfall."

"How could you bear to be separated from Jijashree, Didi?" Urmila asked her sister with tears in her eyes, "Both of you are reflections of each other. I cannot ever imagine you apart."

"Were you not separated from Lakshman for an even longer time, Urmi?" Sita asked her sister affectionately, "Compared to your sacrifice, my own seems..."

"No Didi, do not finish your sentence," Urmila told her sister firmly, "I may have been separated from my Lord for 14 years, but I did not suffer the unwanted attentions of such a vile man for 10 months. The suffering you underwent those 10 months far exceeds anything I went through these 14 years."

"I think we can safely say that both Sita and Urmila suffered a great deal, and we cannot compare their sacrifices," Sumitra told both her daughters-in-law with a chuckle, playing mediator as usual.

"Yes, both you sisters can praise each other later. I am waiting for my story," Shatrughan whined petulantly, making everyone laugh.

"Bhaiyya and Bhabhia are too humble to portray themselves well, so I will start with the story," Lakshman cleared his throat with great pomp. "I guess we can start after you all left Chitrakoot. Not long after, we also left that place due to that fact that you knew where we were, and our presence might disturb the sages' yagnas and meditation."

"Some of the praja did return to Chitrakoot to convince you all to return, and they were dismayed to find you gone," Shatrughan said. "None of the sages there knew where you went."

"That is because we ourselves did not know where we were going," Ram said, "We went South in order to meet the great sages we had learned about from Gurudev, and we received the darshan of Maharishi Atri, Maharishi Sarabhanga and Maharishi Suteekshana. We even met Maharishi Agastya."

"Mata Anasuya gave me divine clothing and jewelry, which became very useful to me while I was Dashanan's prisoner," Sita added.

"It was Maharishi Agastya who told us to make a home for ourselves in Panchavati," Lakshman continued, "So many cruel rakshasas had been killing innocent sages in Dandakaranya for years, and Ram bhaiyya vowed to eradicate each and every one. We received divine astras from Maharishi Agastya to aid us on our journey."

"Raghunandan and Saumitra fought and killed many rakshasas," Sita explained with pride in her tone, "They made dandakaranya safe once again."

"However, our actions incurred the wrath of Khar and Dushan, Ravan's two cousins who ruled Dandakaranya along with his sister, Shurpanakha."

"Shurpanakha - the rakshasi who wanted to marry you, my lord?" Urmila asked her husband mischievously. Lakshman scowled.

"She wanted to marry Ram bhaiyya first, but bhaiyya backstabbed me by convincing her to flirt with me. He claimed I was "alone" in the jungles."

"Well done, Jijashree!" Urmila giggled, "How I wish I was there to see my lord squirm with discomfort!"

Ram laughed openly. "Lakshman was indeed quite uncomfortable, Urmile. Sita and I had a laugh over it afterwards. Lakshman told Shurpanakha to get lost and when she would not desist, he said that by marrying him, she would become Sita's servant. That is what sent her over the edge."

"Honestly, my lord, you have no tact!" Urmila rolled her eyes as everyone laughed. "Don't you know that you must never compare a woman to another? We do not take kindly to that."

"Urgh! Do not compare yourself or Bhabhi with that vile Shurpanakha, Urmi!" Lakshman scowled again, "Would you have preferred that I marry her and bring her to Ayodhya as your co-wife?"

"Why not?" Urmila smirked, "I could have had some fun with her myself!"

"Oh hush, both of you!" Sumitra scolded them good-naturedly. "Lakshman, continue with your story."

"As I was saying," Lakshman continued, shooting a glare at a smirking Urmila. "After I punished Shurpanakha as she deserved, she went to Khar Dushan and they attacked us. Ram bhaiyya took care of them quite swiftly, after which she went complaining to Ravan."

Now, Lakshman sobered up and turned serious. "I committed the biggest mistake of my life by leaving Bhabhi when Bhaiyya went after the golden deer, which it turns out was Mareech, Ravan's maternal uncle. I can never forgive myself for that lapse in judgment. It is because of me that Ravan found Bhabhi unprotected and vulnerable."

"Lakshman bhaiyya, we have already talked about this," Sita told her brother-in-law firmly, "It is not your fault I was kidnapped. I was the one who was disillusioned by Mareech and forced you to look for your brother. I was the one who stepped out of the boundary you drew. I was the one who put myself in a vulnerable position to Ravan. You did nothing, my son. Do not blame yourself."

"Both of you are wrong," Ram broke in, giving them a serious look. "Neither of you are at fault for what happened. It was destiny for Sita to be kidnapped, because through that ill deed of Ravan's, his destruction was brought about for the welfare of the world. Sometimes, the Lord creates situations through which we serve a great purpose than the one we think we serve. Do not blame yourselves. What is done is done, and it was done for the best."

Lakshman did not look entirely convinced, but he desisted from carrying forth his argument. It was as if he would carry the guilt of Sita's abduction in his heart forever. Sita exchanged a glance with Urmila and nodded. They both would speak to Lakshman separately later on.

"Bhaiyya and I returned to the cottage to find Bhabhi gone," Lakshman continued the story with a sigh, "It was the worst moment of our life. I cannot even describe how we were feeling. It was as if the world had come crashing down. I tried to be brave for Bhaiyya's sake, but it was very difficult. I tried to convince Bhaiyya that Bhabhi had probably wandered off to pluck flowers or get water from the river, but both of us knew it was not true. Bhabhi never went anywhere without letting one of us know. She was always considerate that way, because she knew we would worry for her. The very fact that she was gone bespoke of danger."

Lakshman seemed lost in thought, as if he was not able to continue due to the heaviness in his heart at the recollection of all that happened. Looking at him, Lord Hanuman felt compassion for the young prince and decided to continue the tale, starting from his first meeting with Lord Ram and Lakshman.

"The first time I saw Prabhu and Lakshman Bhaiyya, it was near Rishyamukh Parvat," Hanuman explained, "Something in my body resonated with the Lord's name when I first laid eyes on Prabhu Shri Ram. Maharaj Sugriva was frightened that the two tapasvis were sent by his brother, Maharaj Vali, to kill him. I knew they could not have any evil intentions, but to reassure him I went in the form of a tapasvi myself."

"I still remember my banter with Hanumanji," Lakshman chuckled, "He really derived enjoyment in irritating me with his riddles and poetry."

"Forgive me, Lakshman bhaiyya," Shatrughan spoke up with a laugh, "But many derive enjoyment in irritating you, myself included."

"Chup!" Lakshman scolded his younger twin brother, though his face threatened to break into a smile.

"After Prabhu Shri Ram and I recognized each other, I took him and Lakshman bhaiyya with me to Rishyamukh parvat, where Prabhu and Maharaj Sugriva forged a friendship."

"Then came the defeat of Vali and Maharaj Sugriva ascending the throne," Lakshman said, "Four months passed since Maharaj Sugriva ascended the throne, and yet he would not send his vaanar sena to look for Bhabhi. I got angry."

"Angry is an understatement, Lakshman bhaiyya," Hanuman looked at his Lord's younger brother with fondness, "Maharaj Sugriva was certain you would burn down Kishkindha in your anger."

"No indeed, Hanumanji, burning down cities is your job," Lakshman winked mischievously, making Hanuman merely smile in amusement.

"How was Maharaj Sugriva able to curb our Lakhan laal's anger?" Kaushalya asked Hanuman with a smile.

"Mata, Jambavantji and I advised Maharaj Sugriva to send the late Maharaj Vali's wife Tara to subdue Lakshman bhaiyya's anger," Hanuman explained.

"That was well thought out, putra Hanuman," Sita said with admiration, "Not many people know this, but the respect my Lakshman holds for women is rivaled by few. He would never shout in anger in front of a woman."

"You are right, maiyya," Hanuman bowed to Sita reverentially. "Lakshman bhaiyya's anger immediately cooled down in front of Maharani Tara, and when he met with Maharaj Sugriva, it was with mere indignation."

"Maharaj Sugriva quickly apologized for the delay and sent his vaanar sena to all four corners of the Earth," Lakshman added, "The way that ensued was excruciating. Every time one portion of the vaanar sena came back in defeat, our hopes were extinguished little by little, but Bhaiyya did not lose faith in Hanumanji."

"Prabhu has the utmost trust in his devotees," Hanumanji bowed to Ram with tears of love in his eyes, "It is his trust that enables them to complete the most difficult of tasks."

"My dear Maruti, you greatly underestimate your abilities as usual," Ram stroked Hanuman's head fondly, "Without you and Lakshman by my side, I could never have won the war."

"Prabhu, you praise all your devotees, but your devotees know the truth. The war was already won by you the moment that dusht paapi Ravan laid hands on Sita maiyya. Such an evil deed could never go unpunished, and you simply used your devotees as a medium through which you achieved your goal. You are great, Lord, you are truly great!"

Ram simply smiled at Hanuman, touched by his love and devotion.

"Putra Hanuman, there is one thing we cannot trust you with," Sita jokingly said, but when Hanuman's face fell and he truly looked deeply anxious, she quickly said, "Relax putr! I only meant that we cannot trust you to enunciate on the greatness of your deeds when you came to Lanka in search of me. You are the embodiment of humility, Hanuman, so I shall carry forth the task of telling everything about your great deeds." Hanuman blushed and looked down, making everyone smile.

"This dear son of mine leapt across 100 yojanas (1 yojana = 8 miles) of the ocean and came to Lanka," Sita explained, "He defeated Surasa and Simhika through his cleverness and rendered Lankini herself unconscious!"

"I heard about Lankini," Mandavi remarked, "Remember didi, when Mata Gargi taught us about the impenetrable Lanka, and she told us about Lankini, and how with her guarding Lanka no one could dare enter it?"

"Yes, but Lankini herself was not a bad woman," Sita said, "When Ravan abducted me and brought me to Lanka, she begged my forgiveness for keeping me captive. Due to a boon given by Brahma Dev to Ravan, Lankini was bound by vow to serve Lanka. It was not until Hanuman struck her in the jaw and rendered her unconscious was she able to attain freedom."

"What happened next, didi?" Shrutakirti asked her sister with interest.

"Hanumanji entered Lanka, and he met Maharaj Vibhishan, who told him I was in the ashok vatika. Before putra Hanuman came, I was in deep grief and had almost lost hope of being rescued, but Hanumanji restored my faith and caused me to look towards the future with hope," Sita replied. "He performed such magnificent acts, my Hanuman. He destroyed the ashok vatika and set Lanka on fire. Ravan was truly shaken by this, though he tried to hide it."

"I returned to Kishkindha soon after," Hanuman explained, "Along with Prabhu Shri Ram and Lakshman bhaiyya, we all reached the banks of the ocean and together, built a bridge to Lanka after Prabhu pacified Varun devta."

"Many fierce battles followed, but the worst was when Lakshman was injured by the Shakti," Ram took over the story, "It was the first time since Sita was kidnapped that I felt my confidence shaken. With Lakshman by my side, I knew anything was possible. I did not doubt for one moment that we would rescue Sita, but with Lakshman lying there unconscious, I felt doubt take control over my senses. I was numb, numb with fear and grief."

For a moment, they all sat in silence, a sudden chill in the air. Urmila closed her eyes and shivered, realizing how close she had come to losing her beloved husband. Sensing the fear in her heart, Lakshman clasped her hand tightly and squeezed it, giving her a reassuring smile. Urmila smiled back shakily, but still offered prayers in her heart for his long life.

"I would not believe Mata Trijata when she told me about Lakshman bhaiyya," Sita murmured, "I told her it was impossible for anyone to defeat Saumitra. Not even Meghnaad could defeat him, and when Lakshman awoke, all thanks to Hanuman, I knew my faith was not misplaced. Lakshman defeated Indrajit and brought us one step closer to ridding the world of suffering.

"I could never have done it without Hanumanji," Lakshman blushed from the praise, "Whenever there is trouble anywhere, Hanumanji rescues us and gives us new life. He rescued Bhaiyya and me from paatal lok when Ahi Ravan abducted us. He also rescued us when Indrajit enslaved us with the naagpash, by bringing Lord Garuda from the heavens. When I lay there unconscious from the Shakti, he brought the entire Sanjeevani parvat. There is nothing Hanumanji cannot do."

"Lakshman bhaiyya, you mean there is nothing a bhakt cannot do, without the blessings of Prabhu Shri Ram," Hanuman amended, eliciting a smile from Lakshman.

"Prabhu Shri Ram finally killed Ravan and freed the three worlds from his tyranny," Hanumanji completed the tale, "That, Mata Kaushalya, is the tale of my Prabhu and Devi."

The three mothers brushed tears from their eyes.

"There is one part that makes me unhappy," Kaushalya remarked, "Ram, why did you ask Sita to give agni pariksha? Was it not an insult to Sita's satitva? I know you have no doubt in Sita's fidelity, then why the test?"

Before Ram could answer, Sita spoke up. "You misunderstand your son, Mataji. He never asked me to give an agni pariksha. It was a decision I myself took."

"Sita, you took the decision?" Kaushalya asked with shock.

"Yes, mother. I took the decision, because I did not want anyone to point a finger at my Lord in accusation," Sita explained. "He spoke harshly to me, but I knew there was love behind his words. He said things I knew he did not truly believe. He is so merciful that he wished the world to think ill of him so that no one ever doubts my fidelity in the future. He wanted to take all the blame upon himself. He wanted the world to think him a harsh husband, but I could never allow that to happen. I decided to jump into fire because that itself would prove to the world my chastity, and it would also vindicate my husband from any of society's accusations."

"Sitey, you are truly my better half," Ram whispered into Sita's ears, a look of pure love and adoration in his eyes.

"How about simply your other half, Raghunath?" Sita responded sweetly, "Neither of us is truly better or worse than the other."

They turned back to the family, who regarded them with pleased smiles.

"You three have come so far," Kaushalya murmured. "How you must have suffered!"

"And yet how you came out all the stronger for it," Sumitra added.

"May you now experience all the happiness in the world," Kaikeyi blessed.

Sitey, it pains my heart, but we cannot fulfill Mata Kaikeyi's blessings,' Ram thought in his mind, glancing at Sita earnestly.

I know what you are thinking, Raghunath. The time for our second separation is fast approaching,' Sita responded in her mind, a sad smile on her face.

It will be difficult,' Ram thought, grasping her hand tightly.

But we will get through, just as we always do.' Sita placed her own hand over his.

Edited by ..RamKiJanaki.. - 7 years ago

First yay [:D/]

It was as usual really good.
You explained really well the relation of a god and devotee.
And loved the relation Sita-Lakshman, Lakshman-Hanuman, Ram-Lakshman , Ram-Hanuman share 😳 πŸ‘
Are you planning to make me cry, Janu?
Cause I did 😭

What a beautiful way of weaving your words! Pure poetry, I tell you πŸ‘πŸ‘
You simply made my day by showing the bonding of each and every character fantastically. Especially Ram-Lakshman and Lakshman-Hanuman ❀️
And Sita Ma praising Lakshman and Aanjaneya ❀️
You are a ⭐️

You truly showed Hanuman as 'Ram, Lakhan, Sita mana vasiya'
And you went the Tulsidas way :) Sita-Ram knew their separation was nearing.

All in all, simply outstanding β€οΈπŸ€—
Originally posted by sayee

First yay [:D/]

It was as usual really good.
You explained really well the relation of a god and devotee.
And loved the relation Sita-Lakshman, Lakshman-Hanuman, Ram-Lakshman , Ram-Hanuman share 😳 πŸ‘

Thank you so much, Sayee! πŸ˜³πŸ˜³
Originally posted by KrishnaPriyaa

Are you planning to make me cry, Janu?
Cause I did 😭

What a beautiful way of weaving your words! Pure poetry, I tell you πŸ‘πŸ‘
You simply made my day by showing the bonding of each and every character fantastically. Especially Ram-Lakshman and Lakshman-Hanuman ❀️
And Sita Ma praising Lakshman and Aanjaneya ❀️
You are a ⭐️

You truly showed Hanuman as 'Ram, Lakhan, Sita mana vasiya'
And you went the Tulsidas way :) Sita-Ram knew their separation was nearing.

All in all, simply outstanding β€οΈπŸ€—

Thank you so much, Shru! I'm so glad you enjoyed this. πŸ€—

I wish there was a scene like this in some show that did justice to every character. πŸ˜³πŸ˜³
lovely and emotional os janaki ... every relations is described beautifully ...
This is so beautiful! A succint and sweet summary of their adventures from their own lotus mouths!
I liked the intertwined jokes as well!
Poor Lakshmana has to face the jokes of everyone!πŸ˜† Right from his eldest brother to his wife!

And the unexpected ending - I have always wished for someone to type something like this, and you have done! For that last conversation between Sitarama I thank you a hundred times!

Thanks A lot Janaki for fulfilling the OS request , that too at such a short notice
As was expected from you , you brought out all the family moments so apt and well

I couldnt have imagined any better version than the one you wrote 

It had everything , emotions , humour , love , pain  and those silent talks with eyes .

Thanks Once again and sorry for reviewing so lateπŸ˜‰
Edited by Shivam... - 7 years ago
Originally posted by Shivam...

Thanks A lot Janaki for fulfilling the OS request , that too at such a short notice
As was expected from you , you brought out all the family moments so apt and well

I couldnt have imagined any better version than the one you wrote 

It had everything , emotions , humour , love , pain  and those silent talks with eyes .

Thanks Once again and sorry for reviewing so lateπŸ˜‰

Rishivar, your new challenge is to do an emotional update πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Thank you so so much of writing this wonder! It was sweet and very, very realistic.
Lakshman was really sweet. You're totally exceptional at deriving unexplored little Mytho Family cooperatives.
I have always failed to understand why in almost all serials it's like three Moms crying together and Seeta leaving the day after their return from Lanka. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but that's roughly the average portrayal.
No one seems to believe that there could be normal days without citizens complaining about Seeta.
P.S. Do you carry the Quick Quotes Quill inside your imagination?
I positively believe Rita messed with hers.