Thoughts on Week 1: A good start - Page 2

Posted: 8 years ago
The promos of this show didn't appeal to me much but I decided to still give it a chance for Supriya Pilgaonkar who is such a masterclass in acting to watch...and to my surprise, I liked the first epi...and continued to like most of the epis throughout the week.

I see some discussions around the forum about disappointments regarding lack of interaction b/w the leadsπŸ˜†

Ironic, cuz to me what was nice to watch was the time the show gave for presenting/establishing Dev and Sona's backstories/family backgrounds in a solid fashion.  If on one side, we get an insight into the deep bond b/w Dev-Ishwari, his complicated relationship with his sister...on the other hand, we get an insight into Sona's no-nonsense health-conscious nutritionist personality, her affable interactions with her mother-father, brother, her grumbling in Bengali...these are rare things on TV these days when it's all about showing instant cliches and instant love angles.  And to their credit, they did show Dev-Sona interacting over the fun and that too was a good scene IMO.

But the reason this show appeals to me for now is not really for Dev-Sona as much as it is for the way Ishwari's character and her bond with her children has been presented.  SP has done many wonderful doting mother roles on TV over the course of her career, but to me for the first time, she is getting to do a role with nuance...for Ishwari is not your cliched possessive/controlling mother...her love for her children is very much genuine and pure, however she has had to make some tough choices and maybe made some mistakes along the way which have left a lasting impact on her relationships with her children and the way SP enacts that connects you so deeply to every emotion of Ishwari's...it's a lovely thing to watch.

Whether it is the scenes which show this deep, sometimes unspoken bond of understanding b/w her and Dev, or the scenes where she is still haunted by memories of their tough past, or it's the scenes where she flinches as her daughter lashes out at her berating her for years of supposed neglect, Ishwari is made into a special character by SP.  She is special because even as you see Ishwari being uncomfortable with the possibility of another woman in Dev's life, you somehow understand why...that is SP's win as an actor.

The scenes that really touched me are the ones that speak of how Ishwari and Dev had to become a team to shoulder that burden of responsibility in times of deep hardship and how that created such a deep bond b/w them that there isn't always space for another person there...and this is not something they do consciously...over time it seems to have evolved into this and that is why they are both so deeply protective about each other...and it's interesting how there are two sides to this coin...one is the sacrifices Ishwari made to give Dev the opportunities that would help the whole family overall or the sacrifices that sort of got imposed on Neha in the process...

Relationships are complicated...it is refreshing to see a show approach the greys without the usual blacks or whites.

Which is not to say that some cliched characters don't exist like the whole Sameer's mom situation or the Maami...but Ishwari's characterization so far is rising tall above all this for me...SP is just beautiful to watch in this role.

I've also liked the female lead so far...she could improve her dialogue delivery somewhat but she is decent so far...and there is promise to how this story will develop as Sona enters Dev-Ishwari's lives and what sort of impact she has.

Hope to see the show continue to have good writing.
Edited by AreYaar - 8 years ago
Ishwari is grey for sure, so is Neha. Even Dev has grey shades. And that is what is keeping me also to the show. The grey shades. The mistakes. But for me the mistake Ishwari is making now with Neha is bigger. 
There is no need to marry off this emotionally unbalanced girl. And neither should Dev support it. Ishwari had lived a hard life with 4 kids when her husband passed away. As a mother to ensure her security she gave Dev all the education.
What about her daughters. What will they do if they face the situation she faced. Untimely death of husband having kids and no support from in laws. 
Will they be on streets or should Dev take all the burden if such a thing happens. As a mother, as a woman she has to understand her daughters should never be in street if a situation comes. 
Since now it is the good time, she has to ensure all her daughters are financially independent before marriage. Since I am not seeing this aspect in her, I see somewhat cliched mother in Ishwari. 

I hope Sona make her realize the need to ensure the lives of her daughters in a better way. Marriage is not the solution to her daughter's problems.
Heya Anu πŸ˜ƒ we meet again after IKRS...
The promos didn't excite me either. Thought it will be yet another single mother-son and wife stuck in between kinds.. After I heard that SP would be playing the mother, I wanted to try it out.

It been a good story so far. Not too much OTT drama except from the Mami and that Saloni's mom.

I like that they have show Ishwari has done mistakes while raising her 4 kids. She is not the perfect mother. There is no perfect mother in my view. Every mother is a human being. So, she tends to makes mistakes too.. Here, Ishwari gave all the best opportunities to Dev since he was the best among the 4, thinking his education would benefit the whole family in the long run. Neha had to pay the price for being the middle child.

Dev and Ishwari's bond is such a treat to watch, he has seen his mother struggle and knows first hand what she has gone through to raise the family. 

I hope they don't make Ishwari a scheming MIL who is controlling her son's life types.. Then there is no difference between this show and other sass-Bahu serials... 
It was a good start throughout week 1, but guess it will be better with direct interaction of the leads, which was quite absent in week 1.
The cast is good.
LOL..More then Leads I am intrigued with Mother-Son Relationship ...😳

Ishwari has an Insecurity of loosing her Son ...Every mother has some or other insecurity attached with children esp sons ...with Ishwari its even more ...given to the fact that Dev has been her strongest support system ..and their strong Bond...

Honestly thanks to Supriya for Playing this Character with so much Sensitivity ...otherwise one edge slip and the character could have looked Obsessed one...esp in the scene...where she see Dev interacting with that Groom's sister and calling him and giving task so that he can stay away...πŸ˜†

I liked the female lead family...
yeah the family environment contradiction shown was done well...

I found Shaheer pretty Average ...He needs to up his Game esp in scenes with Supriya...

Edit; Oh I liked the sister angle too... ..Sister having bitterness for Mother and Bro .
Though she was being selfish , bt I understood her Insecurity and jealously...quite realistic

Edited by RollingStones - 8 years ago
Mother son relationship is amazing 
He respected his mom a lot 
A bang on post.πŸ‘πŸΌ
I am honestly quite surprised at being presented with a palette of raw, real and intricate characters and relationships. They are neither white nor black nor even grey- they are just as human beings are- COMPLEX.

But while it makes me happy that Indian Tv has come this far to explore such dynamics, I have a nagging fear that the writers may not be equipped to handle the nuances of such characters.
 In the very first week, I moved from being empathetic towards Neha to being quite irritated by her antics. For in the initial episodes, she was grieving child who had some fair reasons for her behaviour. By the end of the week, she turned into a self-entitled, victim playing brat for me. I could understand her feeling neglected by the mother, bitter about lack of attention and opportunities. But I cannot fathom how she assumes that Dev had a more 'advantageous' position. The brother who is the object of her envy at the moment is someone who at the age of 9 was forced by circumstance to become the 'man of the house'. He had to bear the burden of his own crushed dreams and the responsibility of ensuring a secure future for his mother and sisters at a time when basic survival must have been a challenge. To constantly live with the pressure of achieving things NOT for your family's name and glory but for their very existence is not a cakewalk. 
And if I hypothetically place Neha in Dev's 'coveted' place I can still see her whining about how parasitic the family was...how she was given all the love... sent to the best school just so her siblings and mother can have a better future...etc. Something which Dev NEVER does. He instead understands Neha's grievances because he can relate to that pain he never allowed himself to manifest. The only difference is Neha wants acknowledgement for her sacrifices, Dev has silently made it a part of his own being.
I liked you point of how Dev and Ishwari became a team fighting against cruel circumstances, and that is why they have a sense of gratitude for one another. And if Neha is not a part of this team, the fault lies with ALL three people involved, not just Ishwari or Dev. 

Same with her marriage. Being financially independent is important, and I agree that marriage is not a solution for Neha's troubles. But I cannot blame only Ishwari or Dev here because Neha appears to be ecstatic about the marriage! I am sure if she had mentioned this to her brother that she wants to get financially independent, Dev would have done everything to fulfil this wish of hers, now that they have all the resources. But from all the gushing and blushing I see, Neha also perceives her happiness in marriage. Her brother is only obliging, albeit with not so sensible means. He perhaps feels that Sameer would fill the emotional vacuum in her life with some unconditional love which Neha's own family was unable to express. No doubt, IT IS A HUGE MESS!

Though must say, I am quite enjoying the rich variety of situations and emotions on showcase in each episode. Waiting to see what Sonakshi brings on board here!
Originally posted by dixie123

Heya Anu πŸ˜ƒ we meet again after IKRS...
The promos didn't excite me either. Thought it will be yet another single mother-son and wife stuck in between kinds.. After I heard that SP would be playing the mother, I wanted to try it out.

It been a good story so far. Not too much OTT drama except from the Mami and that Saloni's mom.

I like that they have show Ishwari has done mistakes while raising her 4 kids. She is not the perfect mother. There is no perfect mother in my view. Every mother is a human being. So, she tends to makes mistakes too.. Here, Ishwari gave all the best opportunities to Dev since he was the best among the 4, thinking his education would benefit the whole family in the long run. Neha had to pay the price for being the middle child.

Dev and Ishwari's bond is such a treat to watch, he has seen his mother struggle and knows first hand what she has gone through to raise the family. 

I hope they don't make Ishwari a scheming MIL who is controlling her son's life types.. Then there is no difference between this show and other sass-Bahu serials... 

Heya Dixie :) Nice to see you again too.

@Bold: Great point...that is why I'm liking how they've presented Ishwari too...SP has anyways done a ton of these perfect mother roles...this time she gets to play a realistic flawed yet well intentioned human being...so that's interesting to watch.

For now, the fact that SP is playing Ishwari gives me some hope that they can't turn her into a fully cliched scheming MIL...there will be greys in her from time to time due to her bond with Dev but there is scope to explore this relationship with nuance.
Originally posted by RollingStones

LOL..More then Leads I am intrigued with Mother-Son Relationship ...😳

Ishwari has an Insecurity of loosing her Son ...Every mother has some or other insecurity attached with children esp sons ...with Ishwari its even more ...given to the fact that Dev has been her strongest support system ..and their strong Bond...

Honestly thanks to Supriya for Playing this Character with so much Sensitivity ...otherwise one edge slip and the character could have looked Obsessed one...esp in the scene...where she see Dev interacting with that Groom's sister and calling him and giving task so that he can stay away...πŸ˜†

I liked the female lead family...
yeah the family environment contradiction shown was done well...

I found Shaheer pretty Average ...He needs to up his Game esp in scenes with Supriya...

Edit; Oh I liked the sister angle too... ..Sister having bitterness for Mother and Bro .
Though she was being selfish , bt I understood her Insecurity and jealously...quite realistic

Hi Asmita...nice to see you here too :)

@bold: I agree...it is SP playing the character that infuses it with such sensitivity although so far the writing is giving her scope too with some really nice dialogues...direction is good too...that scene where she gets uncomfortable with Sameer's sister pursuing Dev was quite interesting for the way she played it.

Re: Shaheer...he is ok for now...better than he was in MB where I found his acting truly awful...as long as he can atleast do his part in decently supporting SP's acting, this can be watchable...for now he is doing well in showing the bond b/w mom-son.