I was disappointed that Mary Kom didnt work out, says Lin Laishram

Posted: 8 years ago

I was disappointed that Mary Kom didn't work out, says Lin Laishram

Lin Laishram, a model and junior national champion in archery, is all set to take her first footsteps in Bollywood. The gorgeous girl from Manipur will be seen playing an interesting role in Vishal Bhardwaj's Rangoon. In a chat with this publication, she shares her journey to Bollywood, her disappointment at not being able to debut with Mary Kom and more. Excerpts:

How did Bollywood happen for you?
Having grown up in Manipur, I never really thought that acting could be a full-fledged career. But my father was into courtyard theatre back then and I have always loved the camera. My parents ensured that I left home when I was nine because Manipur was not a safe place to live in those days. I moved to Mumbai where my brother stays. I went to school here and eventually took admission in Sophia College. I had really long hair back then. Someone spotted me and suggested that I should try modeling. I joined a modeling agency and had to cut my hair short. Later, I had a volunteering stint at film festivals in New York, which is where I met Vishal Bharadwaj and we became friends. I used to do some acting back there and he knew that, which led to Rangoon eventually.

Is it true that you were supposed to debut with Mary Kom?
Since Mary Kom is from Manipur, I got to know about a biopic being made on her. I approached Omung Kumar and met him for the lead role. At that time neither Sanjay Leela Bhansali nor Priyanka Chopra were associated with the film and Omung told me that he would give me an opportunity. But later, no one called back. And then after a few months I got to know that Priyanka Chopra was roped in for the lead.

Do you regret having missed out on the opportunity?
Of course I was very disappointed. I didn't understand why they signed someone who had to be made to look like Mary Kom. I am not saying this for selfish reasons, but they could have taken any actress from North East. If one has to make a film on Aishwarya, will they sign a girl from Africa? I feel our industry is all about the number game. I believe if I score a hit, filmmakers would try to fit me in roles too.

What is your role in Rangoon?
I am playing a British Army nurse living in the Manipur of 1940s. At that time the women of Manipur had fought against the British Army. Most of my scenes in the film are with Shahid Kapoor. My character is a
mysterious one.

This being your first multi-starrer, did you witness any starry airs on the sets? 
Never. All my three co-stars are very cordial. Shahid is the most humble person I have come across. He helps me so much during my scenes and we share our meals too. Kangana too is nice to me, she always greeted me with a hug. She is such a hardworking person. Saif Ali Khan is sweet as well, I have grown up watching his films. It is my pleasure to learn from all these actors.

Originally posted by TheJake

This being your first multi-starrer, did you witness any starry airs on the sets? 
Never. All my three co-stars are very cordial. Shahid is the most humble person I have come across. He helps me so much during my scenes and we share our meals too. Kangana too is nice to me, she always greeted me with a hug. She is such a hardworking person. Saif Ali Khan is sweet as well, I have grown up watching his films. It is my pleasure to learn from all these actors.

Aw. 😳
PC is a star and more people watched Mary KOm because of her.
Yes PC dont have north east look .
I hope Lin get good projects.
PC did an excellent job as Mary Kom, but I always felt someone from North East would have been more appropriate. Although understand why PC or a big actress would have been the first choice since stars bring audience.
Originally posted by ChotaBheem

PC is a star and more people watched Mary KOm because of her.
Yes PC dont have north east look .
I hope Lin get good projects.

Well, she got a good opportunity in Rangoon. Let's see how it goes from there.
I understand she was hurt but isn't it obvious why they selected PC?
PC did an amazing job in MK and she uplifted the rather weak screenplay! Film needed a seasoned actor and so did they got!

Anyways hope the girl has great future in BW ahead...

You know when MK was announced (before PC on board)...  I always thought Kalki was the most optimum choice as she would look Manipuri MK.
Priyanka did full justice to the role! 
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd6EeYF8-w8[/YOUTUBE]

👏
Strange to see BW not having single prominent actress from North East states... Sad :( Edited by ViccoTurmeric - 8 years ago
Originally posted by ViccoTurmeric

Strange to see BW not having single prominent actress from North East states... Sad :(

And yet we can easily count on fingers how many actresses in demand are in BW. 😆